PDA

View Full Version : FSTDs for PPL

Rivet gun
1st May 2021, 20:05
Currently a maximum of 5 hours time on an approved FSTD (BITD or FNPT) can count towards the PPL. AFIK this rule has been in place for many years and was probably introduced when FNPT did not have visual systems and were considered instrument training devices. Since the PPL is primarily a visual flying course it is understandable why 5 hours would have been considered the maximum.

But today many FNPT have visual systems and can make a useful contribution to learning visual flying skills. I think there is a strong case to argue for extending FSTD time to 10 hours where the device is FNPT II (active control loading) and has a visual system meeting appropriate specs (say 210 deg horizontal field of view).

Still, an FNPT II with three projector visual can cost more than the aircraft it represents. Using it for PPL may only make sense for an ATO which has the device anyway for IR training and has capacity for further utilization.

Which brings me to virtual reality. VR tech is evolving rapidly with professional grade headsets now available combining high resolution and wide field of view. VR is particularly suited to visual flying tasks such as being able to look over your shoulder to see the runway from the end of the downwind leg. EASA have now set a precedent for VR in helicopter training.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-and-events/press-releases/easa-approves-first-virtual-reality-vr-based-flight-simulation

Should we now look at crediting VR FSTD hours towards the fixed wing PPL? I think a fixed base VR FSTD with professional grade VR headset, active control loading yoke and rudder pedals, physical throttle, mixture, flap and elevator trim could be built for about £22,000 before certification costs.

Whopity
6th May 2021, 11:17
I don't think the original inclusion of up to 5 hours in a FNPT gave any practical consideratiuon about what it could be used for. The cost of having a device approved writes it out as far as most training organisations are concerned and what realistically can be achieved by using this 5 hours in a PPL course?
A suitably equiped FNPT or BITD could be a useful tool in teaching the use of modern integrated navigation systems that are built into modern glass cockpits however; those aircraft are probably not very common in the PPL training environment.