PDA

View Full Version : DLRAA bird strike 22 April 2021

Thud_and_Blunder
23rd Apr 2021, 23:19
news link from the Leicester Mercury (https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/air-ambulance-forced-emergency-landing-5332239)

...a reminder of why visors down is always a good idea in transit. I'm surprised at the apparent flimsiness of the A109 screen - it would appear to allow large sharp-edged pieces of debris to occur after such an impact.

ShyTorque
24th Apr 2021, 05:39
There are two types of windscreen for the 109. From the photo it looks like these are the lower strength type.

I find it surprising that the higher spec aren’t standard, bearing in mind that this is a very fast helicopter.

Bull at a Gate
24th Apr 2021, 08:42
Loved the caption to the photo “...after being hit by a bird”. I suspect the bird population might not see it that way.

VeeAny
25th Apr 2021, 11:01
There are two types of windscreen for the 109. From the photo it looks like these are the lower strength type.

I find it surprising that the higher spec aren’t standard, bearing in mind that this is a very fast helicopter.

ShyTorque, the windscreens fitted to this aircraft are the higher strength type.

25th Apr 2021, 11:30
So, a proper sh*tehawk then to do that sort of damage.

JB-123
25th Apr 2021, 12:43
Not necessarily - just one doing 175MPH on impact:eek::eek:

ShyTorque
26th Apr 2021, 00:33
Not necessarily - just one doing 175MPH on impact:eek::eek:

I had a bird strike in a 109 with a Swift in the cruise and it bounced off the windscreen. Good job because corporate pilots don’t have the luxury of wearing a helmet or visor.

Squawk7700
26th Apr 2021, 02:44
I had a bird strike in a 109 with a Swift in the cruise and it bounced off the windscreen. Good job because corporate pilots don’t have the luxury of wearing a helmet or visor.

Why can’t a corporate pilot wear a helmet?

ShyTorque
26th Apr 2021, 07:08
Why can’t a corporate pilot wear a helmet?

Because the aircraft come with headsets instead and you’re expected to use that. Probably more of a tradition than anything. I’ve been in this particular line of business for twenty years and never seen anyone wearing a helmet.

TBH, having come from a military background I’d rather use a helmet and fly with a double visor but it’s not my choice.