PDA

View Full Version : FPS Decode

SATCO
16th Apr 2021, 14:42
Wondering if any learn-ed members out there know what this style of FPS is used for please? (I know, I know, it's paper, but we're not ALL at Blade Runner level yet.) There are very clear field delimitations but I can't for the world of me think what they're for. (I've only filled fields in my example photo to give clearer definition as to where the boxes start and end.) I've never come across this style of strip in over 30 years, but perhaps someone out there might shed a light for me - and say what it's used for and what each field/box contains? Much gratitude in advance.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1440x2000/ccf16042021_00001_df8afd8ea671410a77cc5f304327c26f15131407.j pg

Black tube
17th Apr 2021, 21:24
It looks old, possibly a strip from an area sector? I’m ex-mil ATC now ADI (tower) only and most of the info looks relatively standard to the strips we have. I think the info in each field is:
SHT2G = Shuttle 2G (callsign. British Airways Cityflyer)
B752/M = Boeing 757-200/Medium wake turbulence category (aircraft type ICAO code/ICAO wake turbulence cat)
SAMBA1R = Standard Instrument Departure route of that name
A2715 = Mode Alpha squawk
R190 = not sure but my guess is a radial of 190 degrees. Though why this would be needed I’m not sure as SID is specified. Might be heading after SID finishes.
arrow up 60 = climb FL60 (it could be ..altitude 6000ft as QNH is provided at the end but then in civvy terms an alt can be written as 6.0 for 6000ft).
P1010 = not sure. I think 1010 is a time looking at what comes in the next 2 boxes. And looking at next line below might be time aircraft made first contact on frequency.
EGCC . . EGLL = Manchester to Heathrow (departure and destination).
HON 1032 = either estimated time or time overhead Honiley VOR (near Birmingham).
BNN 1044 = either estimated time or time overhead Bovingdon VOR (over which one of Heathrow’s holding patterns are based).
134.430 = a frequency. My guess is the onward frequency aircraft will go to so probably in this case Heathrow Director, but could be Heathrow Tower depending on where this strip came from.
23R = The runway aircraft will be vectored for. Heathrow doesn’t have 23R now, so if this was for when it had the runways in the Star of David configuration it could give an approx age of the strip.
Q1019 = QNH.

This strip is odd which leads me to think it’s old eg why would a 757 fly from manc to Heathrow under a cityflyer callsign? Nowadays they are short haul airbus A319/320 types, though there could be others like Embraer 175s I’m not aware of BAs entire fleet.

chevvron
18th Apr 2021, 08:22
Manchester has a '23R' so that must be the departure runway.

AyrTC
18th Apr 2021, 08:34
I think the R190 indicates the final requested flight level.
Rgds
AyrTC

The Fat Controller
18th Apr 2021, 08:49
SHT is the domestic callsign for BA mainline, it is NOT a Cityflyer callsign

P1010 is the planned departure time

chevvron
18th Apr 2021, 08:51
Frequency 134.43 (which should be 134.430) is an 8.33 khz freq so the strip MUST be recent.

GAPSTER
18th Apr 2021, 09:09
Did the chap not say he’d only filled the fields in to demonstrate the demarcation between sections? Seems that there’s a bit of a misunderstanding here.

chevvron
18th Apr 2021, 09:27
Well it's not a standard FPS layout, and CC would surely have been using printed FPS from the '80s until they changed to EFPS.
Didn't BA retire their last 757 about 3 years ago?

DaveReidUK
18th Apr 2021, 18:48
Did the chap not say he’d only filled the fields in to demonstrate the demarcation between sections? Seems that there’s a bit of a misunderstanding here.

Yes, there's no way it's genuine.

SHT2G (BA1398) is/was an early evening departure from EGLL to EGCC, not vice versa.

mgahan
18th Apr 2021, 21:31
The layout is very similar to that used by RAAF ATC in my time (19702-93) with background colours blue for departures and buff for- arrivals

Folk seem to be confused by OPs attempt to enter data.. Assume the boxes are numbered from left to right with vertical divisions sub numbered the data entered would have been:
1a -ETD/ETA
1b:- destination/departure point
2 - route info
3 - level info
4 -type CALLSIGN
5a runway
5b -ATD/ATA
6 - POB/Equip

MJG

Equivocal
18th Apr 2021, 21:47
Over my operational years, back in the days when EFPS and the like was just a dream (perhaps rather like Blade Runner), every unit I worked at had at least one bespoke strip design to suit local activities. The MATS 1 use of different boxes on 'standard' strips also often varied in some details.

The example shown rings bells from one unit which, I think, used them in approach for arrivals, and if my memory serves were, rather strangely, pink. It's all a long time ago now and my memory may be failing me a bit!

jmmoric
19th Apr 2021, 08:15
The layout is very similar to that used by RAAF ATC in my time (19702-93) with background colours blue for departures and buff for- arrivals

Folk seem to be confused by OPs attempt to enter data.. Assume the boxes are numbered from left to right with vertical divisions sub numbered the data entered would have been:
1a -ETD/ETA
1b:- destination/departure point
2 - route info
3 - level info
4 -type CALLSIGN
5a runway
5b -ATD/ATA
6 - POB/Equip
MJG

I don't know, we have the callsign in the box top left as he wrote as well. I'd even say he did a pretty good job comparing to the unit I work at.

Though it's abroad.

SATCO
20th Apr 2021, 18:19
Thanks all for the replies. I'm satisfied it's not a 'currently in use' FPS and yes, the boxes were only annotated to give an indication of where the delimitations on the physical strip were. (It didn't scan terribly well on first go.) It was very-much a 'made-up' strip as the commentary is right insofar as callsign and ADEP/ADES etc is concerned. SHT is definitely SHUTTLE (as in British Airways), and yes, they're run on A320-series stuff these days; the B752 was me reminiscing of a time past when the 'Super Shuttle' was an actual BA product (and damned fine too!) SHT2 is LL to CC, not the other way round, correct. R190 is the REQUESTED FLIGHT LEVEL, always the first filed level and not anything that might be RLCE. The up-arrow is climb insturction after the SID (and 190 is max on that route pair; it's 180 on the way back.) The P-time is 1010 (provisional time, i.e. TTOT (derived from EOBT+EXOT)). HON1032 and BNN1044 are, as said, estimates over the mentioned fix. As a closing comment, I've added a scan of the FPS that no doubt everyone who's posted here is or has been accustomed to... and just to show transference, I've transposed exactly the same details into the strip design that has thus far not rendered a categorical outcome. It's actually a standard departure strip, but the old LATCC strips fit ever-so-nicely into the delimitations. Thanks again folks; an interesting thread of replied. Long-live EFPS!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1440x2000/ccf20042021_00000_bf58366e3957b67844efbc6e3a7bac5bc75898b3.j pg