PDA

View Full Version : West Indies Airways & the L1011 TriStar

MorningGlory
19th Aug 2002, 18:37
As a Commercially licensed pilot who will soon be gracing FL360 with my presence, I was wondering if any of you chaps have come across the said company in your travels?

I'm off on my well deserved hols soon to the Carribean and got a cracking deal, but it means I have to fly on a classic L1011!! Worried!!

Even more worried now thinking about the crew!!

Any comforting words out there?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Landing_24R
19th Aug 2002, 19:23
Morning Glory,

Is it BWIA? They are serve one of the London airports and they recently started serving Manchester to the Port of Spain/Trinidad.

You can see a picture of one of their Tri-Star's here (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/098920/M/) .
Colourful to say the least ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers
Landing_24R
(You never know, you might be on one of their shiny new A340's)

GlueBall
19th Aug 2002, 19:32
The best inflight coffee I ever had was on BeeWee. I heard that the last two operating L10-500s are being replaced with A340s soon. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be concerned about paxing on a TriStar, it's probably safer than being on some of those newer built birds with composite tails...,eh? :cool:

fesmokie
19th Aug 2002, 19:53
I spent five years as a crew member on the L-1011 and I can assure you it will be a great ride. The best aircraft I have ever flown. Way beyond it's time!!!.....when everything working that is...;) :D :D

Cathar
19th Aug 2002, 21:23
I'm not aware of any safety concerns about BWIA. I am more than happy to fly with them. The service (in business class) is in my experience excellent. A return journey to Antigua last November were among the nicest flights I've taken. :) :) :)

Wycombe
19th Aug 2002, 22:29
....and the 340's aren't new (both ex Air Canada, I believe).

....also consider that there has never been an L1011 hull loss due to mechanical/structural/engine failure (pretty sure, but I stand to be corrected).

MorningGlory
20th Aug 2002, 12:06
:) Thanks Guys/Gals,

Feel a bit happier about it now, cheers! Looking forward to a bit of sunshine!! :D

Dave T-S
20th Aug 2002, 20:03
Golden rule no1 with an airplane - has it been flying for a long time? Yes? Well it's probably going to stay up for at least one more trip then ;) :D

CPilotUK
24th Aug 2002, 00:22
Even more worried now thinking about the crew!!

What do you mean here MorningGlory?

gofer
24th Aug 2002, 02:39
Great aircraft - gas guzzler - and the humidity from the air-con tended to dump as a quick rotational shower on Row 11B & C (& probably on the other side also) on take-off. At least that's the way it worked at CX.

Captain Stable
24th Aug 2002, 07:51
I've used BWIA (and the L1011) many times. Very comfortable aircraft, excellent service, very professional crew, very pleasant flights.

Semaphore Sam
26th Aug 2002, 00:52
A few L1011's are still flying; many more DC10's are still flying. The reason is economics; the L1011 was over-engineered for safety; the DC10, under-engineered (cargo door, weak floor, etc... A #2 engine failure would not have failed all hydraulic systems on a Tristar). This, and the famous Rolls engine bankruptcy, caused the L1011 line to close down early, while the inferior (safety-wise) DC10 line kept going.

Afraid of the L1011? Best damn commercial airplane (comfort & safety) I ever flew (as crew & pax). Up Lockheed!

brit bus driver
26th Aug 2002, 03:39
3500 hrs under my belt on her, and heading back after a brief sabbatical on some of that "modern technology":D

Marvellous jet, IMHO.

MorningGlory
28th Aug 2002, 16:58
Wow, Sounds like the L1011 really was and still is a very well engineered aircraft!!

:)