PDA

View Full Version : Nav Lights

Coke611
19th Aug 2002, 16:48
Was just wondering, when should nav lights be used on GA aircraft? All the time? And what ones? Anti-collision, landing, beacon etc?

Was just a thought...

Cheers

Louis Coke

FWA NATCA
19th Aug 2002, 18:27
Coke,

I don't know what the regs are since I'm only a controller but I can say that you shouldn't turn the Strobes on until you are about to enter the runway then turn them off after you clear the runway.

Strobe lights tend to blind other pilots when you taxi around at night with them on.

Mike

gijoe
19th Aug 2002, 18:28
General rules of my thumb !

Anti-coll - whenever about to start engine to warns others and turned off on shutdown. Some places I've flown at leave the switch on so that it comes on with the battery master.

Nav lights - when the light is insufficient enough to need them...Noone is going to tell you off for having them on during the day but definitely at night as defined in the ANO.

Strobes - a little more difficult to say...maybe turned on during pre-take checks to show a little consideration for others on the ground. You might find you need to turn them off when IMC because of the reflection on the clouds.

That's my thumb ruled - anyone know any different ?

Keef
19th Aug 2002, 18:58
The "beacon" - flashing light on the tail or wherever - ON whenever the master switch is on. Warns folks around that the engine might start at any time.

Nav lights - on at night before you start engine or move. At other times if you feel that way inclined. BUT if you're flying a retractable in daytime, remember that Nav lights on may mean undercarriage lights are dimmed. That can cause a "no wheels" scare in an Arrow or similar.

Strobes - OFF when on the ground. OFF when flying in cloud (they are very distracting!).
ON for takeoff and VMC.

Remember the "lining up" checks - LIGHTS (strobes on), CAMERA (transponder ON and Mode C), ACTION (power to takeoff setting).

eyeinthesky
19th Aug 2002, 19:09
Keef:

Missing a couple of important checks there. My mnemonic is:

SPLITT

S trobes(if fitted): ON
P itot Heat: ON
L anding Light: ON
I nstruments: DI, Compass and Runway direction all agree
T ransponder: ON with Mode C
T ime: Note for PLOG purposes (and cost if appropriate)

In the commercial world I believe it is common practice for the NAV lights to be turned on whenever there is power to the aircraft systems. This can alert ground staff to the fact that control surfaces etc might move without warning. It seems good practice to turn the nav lights on at all times unless the issues already given regarding auto-dimming of instruments etc. are relevant. This can also be a help with the Piper types whose strobes and anti-coll are not independently switchable. Nav lights are preferable to blazing strobes when taxiing.

As for the 'when it's dark enough', that is a bit like the people who drive round in the dusk with no lights on because they can see where they are going. Maybe they can, but they can't be seen so easily!!

Fully concur with the 'no strobes at the hold' concept. Basic good airmanship, that. Look at most airliners and you will only see the HI strobes coming on as they enter the runway.

Keef
19th Aug 2002, 19:44
Different but excellent mnemonics are part of the spice of flying!

Pitot heat "on" would be part of the power checks if I'm going to fly with it on.

Yes, landing light goes with strobes (LIGHTS) - the two switches next to each other.

I do the "Instruments" as we're rolling - along with "ASI alive" and a few others such as RPM and MP.

Then it's BUFPANEFI once we're off the ground - Brakes (touch), Undercarriage, Flaps, Power (MP then RPM), Altimeter, Navaids, Engine, Fuel (pump off), Ice.

Time is only for PLOG - we pay on tacho, and I log chock to chock. Time tends to be "set heading" rather than "wheels off runway". Only a minute or so in it either way.

QNH 1013
19th Aug 2002, 21:15
I use the lights and other electrical items rather sparingly until I've started the engine and got the battery charging, unless its an aircraft I fly regularly and know the battery condition. I've had too many hired aircraft fail to start after only a short time checking electrical items because of poor battery condition or state.
In an ideal world the battery would not be an influence.

To add to the debate (or confusion) my mnemonics after t/o clearance: TPXLC
Transponder
Pitot
X-wind (within limits)
Landing light on
Clock (write down time and estimate for first waypoint)

After positive rate of climb: BUF
Brakes
Undercarriage
Flaps

Then PTL
Power
Ts and Ps
Landing Light Off

Approaching 1000': FARI
Fuel (pump off)
Altimeters cross-check
Radios (ident Navaids)
Ice check

Having got used to these, I daren't use any others in case I get really mixed up, so I still recite the same list even when flying simple PFA types where more than half the items don't apply !

Fokker-Jock
20th Aug 2002, 00:05
There are rules regarding the use of lights onboard an aircraft.

As already stated the rules are general. The use of them reflects your airmanship.

This is what I could call good airmanship:

The beacon is turned on before start, and turned off when the engine is completely stopped. Propeller at a standstill or turbine has winded down ( although turbines take ages, doesn't mean you should wait till n1 drops to 0%). For pistons, whenever magnetoes are on. (Rules say: Always when operating the aircraft, unless deemed conflicting to safety (FAR))

Nav light, only when they are useful, i.e when natural light is low enough for others to see the nav-lights. (Rules say: When sun is less than 6 degrees below the horizon or if light is not sufficient to see an object clearly on a distance of 3 SM (FAR))

The strobe only when entering runway. however at night or in IMC it's a good idea to turn it off as it tends to blind you. (No rules regarding the strobe (FAR))

I assume that JAR, BCAR and other Civil Aviation Regulations has similar reules to FAR. At least there is in Norway where I'm from

:)

eyeinthesky
20th Aug 2002, 20:03
Keef: How right, it doesn't matter what mnemonic you use so long as it works for you.

Just one follow-up point, Pitot Heat ON during power checks is OK, provided you get rolling shortly thereafter, otherwise a long hold without cooling airflow could leave you with a burnt out element (especially on types cleared for flight into known icing where the pitot seems much hotter during the pre flight check!).

It is for this reason that turning it on during the pre take off checks for the DI check (in case the electromagnet of the pitot heat affects it) and then off until lining up seemed a better option to me. Each to their own, however!

WorkingHard
20th Aug 2002, 20:35
It is essential to check how the compass swing was done. This will determine what electrics are in use during flight ( as well as consideration for others as has been stated)

FlyingForFun
21st Aug 2002, 08:40
I believe that all electrics have to be on for a compass swing - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The general opinion appears to be that the effect of electrical equipment on the compass should be small enough that, even with all electrics switched off, the change in deviation will be negligable. But I've also heard people tell of specific incidents where there would be one particular piece of equipment which would affect the deviation by 5 or 10 degrees on certain headings. I'd suggest that, if you've been flying an aircraft for a while without problems, what you're doing is fine. If you switch to a new aircraft and find yourself constantly off course, a cheap option, before having the compass re-swung, might be to try flying with everything turned on, just to eliminate the possibility that there is a big change in deviation.

I find it hard to believe that lights would affect the deviation perceptably. Certainly the cases I've heard of have related to nav/com equipment, and not to lights. But this sounds like exactly the type of statement which is just waiting for someone to come and prove me wrong!

FFF
----------

BIG MISTER
22nd Aug 2002, 07:41
A little off the subject....... But the other night upon returning from the pub with some friends we flicked on Sky One and there it was... The Star Ship Enterprize.

Now I just wondered what use an aircraft has for NAV LIGHTS when it travels several times the speed of light !!!

With that we flicked through the channels in search of other head lights....... if you know what I mean ! :eek:

:D :D :D

sharpshot
22nd Aug 2002, 12:06
Seems like everyone's on the right track;)

The plane I have been flying has no anti-collision beacon:p
only wing tip strobes.

Must have something to warn everyone on the ground that you are about to start, but strobes on the ramp, especially at night.........