PDA

View Full Version : Death Valley National Park

dublinpilot
19th Aug 2002, 12:45
Anyone ever flown into Death Valley National Park in US?

4 hour drive from Las Vegas, or 50 minutes in a 172!

Furnace Creek is local airport, in national park.

My problem....from what I can find out, no ground tours starting from the park in Sept. (Nov to Apr only).

Anyone been there before? Anyone know better? Anyone able to find a car rental co., near the park instead of tour?

Finally...if you have flown there....what is airspace around the park like? Would I see much from the air?, or would I wind up having to stay 10,000 AMSL?

Then just to get a type conversion to a 172.....guess it's cheaper to do over there!

The Nr Fairy
19th Aug 2002, 12:51
I flew there in February, from Las Vegas North, in an R22, took 1.5 hours.

Wierd or what - 1500 AMSL indicated was more like 1700' AGL, and it felt really odd.

Airspace ( from memory ) is an MOA over the top of the park, but it was cold the day I went there. Views are spectacular, but don't fly less than 2000' AGL in the park as it's a National Monument.

If you get there, enjoy !

Tinker
19th Aug 2002, 13:31
I flew in there June 2000 in a 150hp C150 from North Las Vegas. The trip was made at night when things were a bit cooler and less bumpy. I arrived at around 9.00/9.30 and still managed to get a free ride into town by phoning for a courtesy car from the pilots lounge.

From memory most of the flight was probably flown at around 6-7000 feet but you'll need to climb up to around 9000 to clear the mountains just before you get there (assuming you come from VGT). You've also got alot of decending to do after that as the runway is around -200 ft agl.

try out this link for info on Furnace Creek and all other US Airports. The designator is L06

AirNav.com (http://www.airnav.com/airport/L06)

Captain Stabbin
19th Aug 2002, 14:30
DP,

Having spent time in Death Valley last September and again in March I don't think you quite realise how hot it actually gets. On March 29 it reached 106F (41C) in the shade.
In September it reached 117F (46C) IN THE SHADE!
And it can get upto 128F.
It's not really sight seeing weather as all you'll want to do is sit in an air conditioned room mopping your brow.

On the plus side it does have a wonderful golf course which is kept watered by a natural spring but again you have to start at dawn in order to finish before it gets too hot.

Furnace Creek Resort is the only place to stay and they are a good bunch of people there (all be it completely mad).

Good Luck!

http://www.furnacecreekranch.com/

dublinpilot
19th Aug 2002, 19:32
Thanks for the info guys.

I've read the temp figures for that time of year....but yea you're right...I've no idea how hot it gets there!! (Or at least how hot 46C feels!!!)

But that's why I was hoping to find a nice tour in a nice a/c bus!! or to hire a nice a/c equiped car there!

Anyway the trip will be a one day return from Las Vegas.

If I forgot about a ground tour, would I see much of the sights from the air?

Temp in flight....does the cooler outside air temp at the higher alts actually translate into cooler cabin temps, or will the flight there be extremely hot too?

slim_slag
20th Aug 2002, 02:51
dublinpilot

Death Valley is well worth the visit, and yes it is friggen hot (http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/monthly/USCA0286), and the desert can be brutal, so make sure you take lots of water.

You really need a car to see the whole place, so you might be better off driving from Vegas.

If you want to do some interesting flying out there, check out Area 51 circumnavigation (http://www.serve.com/mahood/nellis/flight.htm) though I'm not sure whether Sep 11 has changed things. I don't have the chart on me to check the restricted areas, but you can phone the 'controlling authority' (Nellis) and ask them the score.

Like all summer flying out there in the western deserts, it gets pretty bumpy in the afternoon, and remember to check DA (en route too).

Temp in flight....does the cooler outside air temp at the higher alts actually translate into cooler cabin temps, or will the flight there be extremely hot too?

Rental C172, leaks like a sieve, what do you think :)

There are A/C equipped rental planes around, but not too many. Dry adiabatic lapse rate will be pretty accurate, generally you "climb and maintain 80". Lower down, you sweat.

a pilot
20th Aug 2002, 04:38
It is so hot there that you can just fly over and enjoy the scenery.get off at furnace creek,walk to the golf court and museum or call and they ll drive you half a mile,airspace and mountains-easy,avoid if windy.take a c150/150 or 172 at silverwing north vegas-50$ hour or 65$,quick checkout and you ll be there in an hour.702 647 2277