PDA

View Full Version : CAP1369 Camera mounting

Gee5
29th Jan 2021, 14:00
Hi all,
In 2016 the CAA introduced rules on camera mounts on light aircraft needing sign off by an LAE. It also imposes a weight limit of less than 250g for combined camera and mount (interestingly enough EASA give an extra 50g to play with, stipulating a 300g limit). So, I want to use my GoPro hero 9 with a portable non permanent swivel clamp which attaches to which ever aircraft I hire on that particular day and to be removed at the end of each flight. The issue is the latest action cameras like the GP9 plus a clamp are impossible to keep within 250g! The camera alone is 160g plus an extra 10g for the retaining bolt leaving only 80g to play with for a clamp and lanyard:ugh:
1. Does a clamp that is removed at the end of each flight need LAE sign off?
2. If its impossible to keep under 250g whats the alternative way to get a sign off which is non-specific to any light aircraft i.e. 172/182/PA28 whichever I hire on the day??
3. Any advice is much welcomed

If there are any other threads re this, I have looked but cannot find!

Thanks
Gee5

Whopity
29th Jan 2021, 17:38
CAP1369 applies to non EASA GA aircraft, that would not include the aircraft quoted ie 172/182/PA28. Whilst EASA aircraft no longer exist in the UK, they are now classified as Part 21 aircraft and the EASA rules have been ported into UK Law so the 300g rule would apply.

Gee5
30th Jan 2021, 10:11
CAP1369 applies to non EASA GA aircraft, that would not include the aircraft quoted ie 172/182/PA28. Whilst EASA aircraft no longer exist in the UK, they are now classified as Part 21 aircraft and the EASA rules have been ported into UK Law so the 300g rule would apply.

Thanks Whopity. I think there is a general incorrect assumption that as we're no longer in EASA that everything is therefore a 'non-EASA' aircraft by default.

Having a trawl through CS-STAN (CS-SC403a) pages 61/62 the rules are pretty much identical save for an increased weight allowance. The EASA policy makes it much clearer as to its application to portable equipment removed at the end of each flight.

I'm guessing this has been imported lock-stock into UK Legislation??

I've attached the document to this thread for anyone asking similar questions who might stumble across this in the future or for anyone who suffers with insomnia

MrAverage
30th Jan 2021, 19:27
So legally allowed, but that much weight flying around inside an aircraft? Not in any of ours......