PDA

View Full Version : Indian DGCA CPL to Canadian CPL

Mr.CB
25th Jan 2021, 05:03
Hello everyone, I would like to know the procedure to convert my Indian CPL to Canadian CPL. Also I want to know about the job prospects in Canada. Right now I am a First officer on B737NG in India with around 2000 hrs On type. Would appreciate the help. TIA.

FalseGS
25th Jan 2021, 12:03
A bit of search and research. All the info is there to be found.
First, acquire the right to live and work in Canada. Come back in 2-3 years with that and then we we can delve deeper into getting your Canadian license.
Plenty of ads in your local rags selling you the dream of living in Canada. I suggest you start there first.
Good luck.

+TSRA
25th Jan 2021, 15:44
Also I want to know about the job prospects in Canada

Abysmal. Most air operators in Canada have either temporarily or permanently laid off pilots, and most of those pilots have filled what little jobs are coming up. Those who have not found gainful employment in aviation are waiting for recalls, and only once all those pilots are recalled will companies start hiring off the street again. That includes anyone who had just started a ground school, so you're probably looking well into 2023/2024 before you had the opportunity to apply to Air Canada, WestJet, Sunwing, etc. As far as the smaller companies go, they've hired some laid-off pilots, but where a year and a bit ago 2000 hours on a 737 was attractive to those companies, it's not now given there are pilots applying with over 2000 hours command time and 6000 on type, so that's who you'd be interviewing against.

With that said, all the license transfer info is here: Transport Canada (https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/licensing-pilots-personnel/flight-crew-licences-permits-ratings/licensing-foreign-pilots)

As FalseGS said, there is a lot of info here on PPRuNe on how to go about transferring the license and getting the right to actually work here, which is way harder than getting the license transferred. I'd also agree with the sentiment that you wait two to three years, per my first paragraph, especially if the current government stays in power, but that's a whole other rant for another aviation site!