PDA

View Full Version : Using Rank on Retirement

Pages : 1 [2]

Wensleydale
28th Jan 2021, 21:48
Even worse the old letters after the name. Was once 'invited' for a discussion without tea & biccys with my civilian boss. Nice new nameplate on the door with letters after his name. Thought to myself must be a Professional qualification, having never seen them before anywhere. At the end of the 'discussion' I inquired as to the meaning of the letters. Without batting an eyelid he informed me it was 'Member of the ****** arts society'. Nothing to do with the job we were doing then :rolleyes:

I once put the letters COS on my office door plate. When asked, it was because I had "Lettuce after my name".

Herod
29th Jan 2021, 08:56
I once put the letters COS on my office door plate. When asked, it was because I had "Lettuce after my name".

:ok::ok: (plus a few more characters for posting)

OmegaV6
29th Jan 2021, 09:46
Slight thread drift ... but I once worked with an american flight engineer who carried a self supporting notice.. very official looking .. that he would place beside his car wherever he parked it ... no matter what the local restrictions were .. and never got booked... sign simply said .. in large bright red letters "TIMS"......

When asked what it mean't he simply answered ... "this is my slot" ........... :)

PICKS135
29th Jan 2021, 10:58
I once put the letters COS on my office door plate. When asked, it was because I had "Lettuce after name".
:ok::ok::D:D Well done that man [person]

ORAC
29th Jan 2021, 11:27
Pretending you were top brassica perhaps?

NutLoose
29th Jan 2021, 12:21

I made up a carpark sign with O/C NLMC on it and put it further along the parking slots from O/C Sqn.. O/C OPS etc, I never had problems parking after that and I handed it onto a mate when I left, people used to tell me I couldn't park there as it was O/C NLMC's bay, but I ignored them... unbeknown that it stood for O/C NutloosesMotorCycle. :E

treadigraph
29th Jan 2021, 12:44
They were in his salad days...

The Oberon
29th Jan 2021, 12:51
OK, confession time. As 16 year old Locking Apprentices in our first term, we could only go out fully booted and spurred in No.1s. When asked, we frequently tried to convince the girl that was asking that the 4 bladed apprentice wheel meant that we were helicopter pilots. It never occurred to us that they had heard it all before from previous entries.

Akrotiri bad boy
29th Jan 2021, 15:42
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x600/i_used_to_be__a50273014ff61d6e3a96419e8c8283821dccc323.jpg
Hello chaps, I'm new here but you can call me....
The tales of folk introducing themselves by rank/awards led me to this throwback to imperial times. I can almost see the scene repeated in village pubs when newly retired VSO's introduce themselves as ..... .

treadigraph
29th Jan 2021, 15:46
He looks like Alf Garnett!

pulse1
29th Jan 2021, 15:57
One of the funniest shows on British TV is Dad’s Army

And the most popular TV show exported is Keeping Up Appearances. Not quite sure if that means that the rest of the world enjoy laughing at us.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/12158689/Keeping-Up-Appearances-is-BBCs-most-popular-overseas-export.html

wub
29th Jan 2021, 16:02
The use of post-nominals can backfire, as attested by an accountant who was a Master of Arts, had a Master of Business Administration and was an Associate Member of the British Institute of Management. He wrote a letter than accounting firm in Africa and used his post-nominals when he signed it. He received a response a couple of weeks later, addressed to Mr Ma Mba Ambim.

Pontius Navigator
29th Jan 2021, 20:38
How did the BBMF get a Major?
t didn't , it was Paul's nickname.

BFM
29th Jan 2021, 22:16
Anyone who uses their rank on retirement is a complete and utter throbber.

The same goes for Drs who change their passport and bank details - I mean outside of the hospital no-one gives a toss that you are a Dr.
Remind me not to SLF on any flights you pilot. I have been very touched indeed by the gratitude I have been shown on the couple of times I have helped out with little incidents at cruising altitude.

Non Linear Gear
29th Jan 2021, 22:17
Joesf Porta, Corporal by the grace of God. Damm, promoted to the old man!

Wensleydale
30th Jan 2021, 07:01
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x600/i_used_to_be__a50273014ff61d6e3a96419e8c8283821dccc323.jpg
Hello chaps, I'm new here but you can call me....
The tales of folk introducing themselves by rank/awards led me to this throwback to imperial times. I can almost see the scene repeated in village pubs when newly retired VSO's introduce themselves as ..... .

The Colonel was responding to the advert for someone experienced to take on the Missionary Position......

megan
31st Jan 2021, 03:39
it amazes me how may people have car number plate surrounds or wear caps that say "I fought in Vietnam" or "Ex Marine Corps" etc. (usually followed by "and proud of it"; which I am happy they are entitled to be

Surely that sort of blatant advertising is just asking to be a potential target of the ungodlyYou wouldn't be amazed had you been one and on the receiving end of the abuse they had to put up with on returning home, it's their way of sticking a finger up to those who did the abusing IMHO.And the most popular TV show exported is Keeping Up Appearances. Not quite sure if that means that the rest of the world enjoy laughing at us.Laughing with, not at you. Nothing like British comedy, pity the cancel culture has got to it and even John Cleese now has to have a may offend warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

Cornish Jack
31st Jan 2021, 09:58
:O :O :O :O :O

spekesoftly
31st Jan 2021, 10:39
When I retired from the RAF (late 70s) I had no intention of using my rank, but I did have difficulty in persuading my bank (Coxs & Kings) to stop using my rank on correspondence. I eventually succeeded in getting them to desist when I wrote pointing out the potential security issues at that time (NI).

Training Risky
1st Feb 2021, 08:46
Earned it, what? Sucking on the teat of the tax payer for years and not having the courage to get out in the real world and stand on your own two feet. This is what you call earning it? And then to expect to be given some recognition for bludging half a lifetime. And yes, 2 chips for balance.
Wow son, I know your exams have been cancelled and your mum has probably limited the amount of Call of Duty you can play...but learn some manners before you use the internet! (That also goes for Private (now-grounded) Jet). 🤡

wub
1st Feb 2021, 21:43

Not sure the fans of Captain Sir Tom Moore would agree with you

pr00ne
2nd Feb 2021, 11:28
He didn't use his rank. The media did.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Feb 2021, 11:38
Bit of thread drift, but what about using post nominals to indicate an order or decoration (OBE, DFC etc)? Never had anything like that myself but I'm damn sure I would use them at every opportunity if I had!

In 1943 my dad was a WO2 in the Military Police in North Africa. He was given the job of arranging security for King George VI when he was visiting the area where dad was serving. At the end of the visit dad was marched in for a brief audience with HM, who thanked him and presented him with the ribbon of the Royal Victorian Medal for personal services to the monarch (he got the actual medal at the Palace in 1946). One week later his commission came through. Had he already been an officer when he got the medal he would in fact have received the MVO instead. On return to his civilian job as an AA inspector, his employers thought it would be rather good to emphasise the fact that one of their staff had letters after his name, but discovered that there was no entitlement to post nominal letters for the RVM, so thereafter all his official correspondence came addressed to Inspector *** , MVO, which of course he was not entitled do. Dad used the post nominals shamelessly for the rest of his life, and to be honest I don't think it was that much of a crime!

Pegasus107
2nd Feb 2021, 11:53
Seen a RAFAC officer signature block stating their RAFAC rank followed by RAF rank Ret’d 🤦🏻‍♂️ 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ken Scott
2nd Feb 2021, 15:50
I assume there was a substantial difference between his current & former ranks then?

K Scott
Fg Off
(Flt Lt Retd)

Two's in
2nd Feb 2021, 16:45
...However, to my real question, I spend some time in the USA and it amazes me how may people have car number plate surrounds or wear caps that say "I fought in Vietnam" or "Ex Marine Corps" etc. (usually followed by "and proud of it"; which I am happy they are entitled to be.)...Surely that sort of blatant advertising is just asking to be a potential target of the ungodly ?

We've discussed this quite a lot on various forums, but in the US retired military are [usually] regarded with a degree of respect and decorum not easily found back in Blighty (although that seems to be changing a bit). And recent events excluded, there are a lot less angry separatist types running around the US wanting to murder service men and women. It does get overdone on some occasions and can smack of "warrior adulation" but I will take too much respect over public disdain any day.

Pegasus107
2nd Feb 2021, 16:45
I assume there was a substantial difference between his current & former ranks then?

K Scott
Fg Off
(Flt Lt Retd)

Both as Flt Lt :E

Doors To Manuel
2nd Feb 2021, 21:03
For a while I worked in the Civil Service (pre-privatised BT). I went in as an H.E.O (Higher Executvive Officer) and had several E.Os (Executive Officers) reporting to me.
Over on the more techy side we had Information Officers (I.Os).

One day I saw a guy wandering down the corridor with some sheep. "Who's that?" I enquired of a chum. "Oh, that's old McDonald" came the reply. "He's an E.I. E.I O.!!

(OK, I made up the last bit, but I expect you noticed)

Ascend Charlie
3rd Feb 2021, 04:38
Heard a workmate say "That's Fred Bloggs, PhD"
"I didn't know he had a doctorate?"
"No, it stands for Pulls His D1ck!"

Old-Duffer
3rd Feb 2021, 07:01
When I left regular service my letter said I could: ‘retain my rank’. I subsequently had two commissions running at the same time and hence I had (even if tenuously) three ranks I could use if I so wished.

I used the two ‘active’ ranks very carefully to ensure there was no confusion and I never played the former higher regular service rank and so never embarrassed my various bosses or tried to push or take liberties with my past status.

There was one mildly amusing occasion at a formal dinner where I got to my place at table (not the top and below the Salt) and discovered the local comedian had put out ten place cards around my position, all with different ranks – everybody had a good laugh and the card I remember most, styled me as a Vice Admiral in the Swiss Navy.

Twelve months ago, as I hit 76, I decided it was somebody else’s turn and packed it all in. The strange thing is, I now get more mail/emails using my former regular service rank than at any time previous – very strange!!!

Old Duffer

treadigraph
3rd Feb 2021, 08:15
Friend of mine joined a well-known marine engineering company as a naval architect in the 1980s. On his first day he was shown to a drawing board in a vast room surrounded by other drawing boards and studious designers. There were offices along two sides of the room and where they met was a very large office occupied by an important looking individual. My mate noticed that people were continually going in to confer with this chaps and after a while he nudged his neighbour and said "who is that in the big office?" "Oh, that's CinC" replied his neighbour. "CinC? What's that mean?" " Oh, he thinks it's "Commander in Chief" but it actually means "C*** in the Corner"...

jayteeto
3rd Feb 2021, 08:48
A friend who had a DFC put it on his CV for an application to a major British airline. He said his interview was dominated by talking about said medal. He got the job.
if you’ve got it, use it to your advantage

NutLoose
3rd Feb 2021, 09:04
Both as Flt Lt :E

Pegasus107
Flt Lt
(Ditto Retd)

Hmmm...;)

The laconic atco
3rd Feb 2021, 19:12
At London Centre I remember there was an invented position called the EIEIO.
He/she was the External Interference Engineering Investigations Officer !!!
The laconic atco

langleybaston
3rd Feb 2021, 19:20
Thread drift but heyho!

The European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting, collocated with the Met Office College at Shinfield near Reading. was inevitably

"Early Closing Monday Wednesday and Friday."

They didn't look busy on Tuesday or Thursday either.

racedo
3rd Feb 2021, 22:45
A friend who had a DFC put it on his CV for an application to a major British airline. He said his interview was dominated by talking about said medal. He got the job.
if you’ve got it, use it to your advantage

Resonable because what he put down was a statement of fact, he wasn't boasting of it. It is true he may have got the interview because it was on the CV.

That someone else felt as it was on his CV, therefore worthy of discussion in an interview is not the applicants fault. Possibly he may have come across someone equally with a complete hatred for the military who may have taken a different viewpoint.

If they gave out DFCs to every Tom, Dick or Harriett then it becomes less likely to get asked about. But from an interview perspective it gives you a chance to ask about character, coping under stress and working under pressure.

B Fraser
3rd Feb 2021, 22:54
They didn't look busy on Tuesday or Thursday either.

Thursday night was always spent at the Merry Maidens in Shinfield.

Happy days

I have often been referred to as a BSc..... but not in a good way.

Old-Duffer
4th Feb 2021, 05:55
An Army friend reckoned his Queen's Gallantry Medal (QGM) was worth at least one rank up in the promotion stakes and opened other 'career doors' as well.

O-D

dctyke
4th Feb 2021, 07:16
An Army friend reckoned his Queen's Gallantry Medal (QGM) was worth at least one rank up in the promotion stakes and opened other 'career doors' as well.

O-D

as does winning a Olympic Medal..........

NutLoose
4th Feb 2021, 10:32
Resonable because what he put down was a statement of fact, he wasn't boasting of it. It is true he may have got the interview because it was on the CV.

Best one I ever saw under hobbies was "Mandatory Gardening"

langleybaston
4th Feb 2021, 18:58
Thursday night was always spent at the Merry Maidens in Shinfield.

Happy days

I have often been referred to as a BSc..... but not in a good way.

The Merry Maidens had a spell using topless [or virtually topless] female staff. I seem to remember drinking there on such evenings, but it might have been some other time, some other place, some other bar staff ..........

Old-Duffer
5th Feb 2021, 06:22
I seem to recall that in the village pub in Stourton By Stow, the landlord (ex-RAF) and his good lady employed female bar staff who were properly dressed but 'easy on the eye'. I never bothered to count the change!!!!!

O-D

Tinribs
11th Feb 2021, 15:10
My favourite Aunt asked me to her dining out as a retiring colonel, splendid evening. After the meal as a very junior officer I was keeping in the background until a very senior chap pointed out a retired Major over the room and said got a very good VC

ShyTorque
11th Feb 2021, 16:48
An RAF ex colleague of mine was a Flt. Lt, as was his wife. She was then promoted. His boast was that he went to bed a Flight Lieutenant and got up a Squadron Leader.

billovitch
26th Feb 2021, 06:48
Reminds me of the story of four men, who went “up” to London in the same train compartment every day for years.

Eventually one chap put down his newspaper and announced “I’m a brigadier - my son is a surgeon.”
The second chap responded, “I am a brigadier - my son is an architect.”
The third said, “I am a brigadier and my son runs a hedge fund.”

After a pause, the fourth fellow says,
”I’m a dustman. I have three sons and they are all brigadiers...”

NutLoose
26th Feb 2021, 17:21
There used to be a trade assistant general as the “trade” was called at Odiham and who was employed as the Guardroom runner, his father was a Colonel or similar at Tidworth and repeatedly pressurised him to join the army as an Officer etc.... He finally cracked, went down to the RAF CIO and asked what the lowest possible job he could join up as... hence his trade and rank.

Union Jack
27th Feb 2021, 13:55
There used to be a trade assistant general as the “trade” was called at Odiham and who was employed as the Guardroom runner, his father was a Colonel or similar at Tidworth and repeatedly pressurised him to join the army as an Officer etc.... He finally cracked, went down to the RAF CIO and asked what the lowest possible job he could join up as... hence his trade and rank.
There's nothing like a bit of good old-fashioned inverted snobbery.....:rolleyes:

Jack

PlasticCabDriver
1st Mar 2021, 09:03
More importantly, what about the plonkers who call themselves “Captain” when they fly airliners or even puddle jumpers for a flying school for a living - now that is the sign of a Walter Mitty of the highest order... :rolleyes:

back when I used to be a member of BALPA for the life of me I couldn’t get them to stop addressing the envelopes to Captain PCD. It’s a job title, nothing more. And in offshore rotary I’ve never heard anyone ever call a captain “Captain” either. Once out of the building I am a Mister.

I do have a drinking buddy in the pub though who likes to holler “evening Group Captain!” at me (most definitely not my former rank), the reply of “evening Guardsman” is usually followed up with the offer of a pint.

MPN11
1st Mar 2021, 18:18
Ah, the old TAGs. We had an LAC TAG in the Guardroom at Manby in the mid-60s, with Pilot’s wings and a full set of WW2 ribbons. Apparently he couldn’t adapt to civvy street. Met him a couple of times when I was OO, but never intruded into his past history.

Willard Whyte
2nd Mar 2021, 14:39

The same goes for Drs who change their passport and bank details - I mean outside of the hospital no-one gives a toss that you are a Dr.

Well, my (now late) father got caught speeding many years ago. One chap caught at the same time got an endorsement & fine, after said culprit had driven off the policeman turned to my father and said "I have the greatest respect for doctors, but drive a little slower in the future please" and let him go.

My dad was a DPhil, not a medical doctor...

NutLoose
2nd Mar 2021, 15:04
Well, my (now late) father got caught speeding many years ago. One chap caught at the same time got an endorsement & fine, after said culprit had driven off the policeman turned to my father and said "I have the greatest respect for doctors, but drive a little slower in the future please" and let him go.

Totally Off Topic

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us was a Traffic Cop and on his last day before retiring his bit of a cnut Sgt had told him he was staying until he had cleared his desk that was full of traffic related offences... at 5pm he promptly got up, scooped up the full intray and fed the lot into the shredder, walking out the door and into retirement he told the Sgt his desk was now well and truly clear.. with a smile on his face. He didn't know how many offences he wiped off the books, but he said it was a lot.

charliegolf
2nd Mar 2021, 18:16
Totally Off Topic

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us was a Traffic Cop and on his last day before retiring his bit of a cnut Sgt had told him he was staying until he had cleared his desk that was full of traffic related offences... at 5pm he promptly got up, scooped up the full intray and fed the lot into the shredder, walking out the door and into retirement he told the Sgt his desk was now well and truly clear.. with a smile on his face. He didn't know how many offences he wiped off the books, but he said it was a lot.

You just KNOW you'd like him, eh?

CG

Union Jack
2nd Mar 2021, 22:24

My dad was a DPhil, not a medical doctor...

My medical consultant sister modestly used to say, "Is X a medical doctor or a real doctor". Interesting too to recall that DPhil suggests Oxford, Sussex, or York.:ok:

Jack

Davef68
3rd Mar 2021, 11:30
It can cause some problems or amusement depending on your point of view.I knew someone who had a PhD and a DSc. He was jokingly referred to as Doctor Doctor (Officially he was a Professor). I also knew a lad from Africa whose surname was Doctor. He also had a PhD.

Haraka
3rd Mar 2021, 17:00
I discovered that I was an emeritus professor of a certain Asian University ,for which I was a visiting lecturer.
So do have some respect............

Professor Haraka. :)

Hydromet
3rd Mar 2021, 21:47
Locally, we have a Doctor Surgeon, who is a GP.

pr00ne
4th Mar 2021, 12:30
Major Major.

Catch-22

Ken Scott
4th Mar 2021, 13:44
I knew a Sgt Sargeant, and a Flt Lt Leader - not sure if the latter was ever promoted...

London Eye
4th Mar 2021, 14:20
I knew a Sgt Sargeant, and a Flt Lt Leader - not sure if the latter was ever promoted...
You will be telling me that there was once an Air Vice-Marshal Marshall next :hmm:

cafesolo
4th Mar 2021, 14:55
We had a flight cadet named Marshall, who always answered the phone, "Marshall,of the Royal Air Force."

Ken Scott
4th Mar 2021, 16:36
You will be telling me that there was once an Air Vice-Marshal Marshall next https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Not ‘once’ but ‘is’, apparently. AOC 1 Gp I believe.

MPN11
4th Mar 2021, 17:08
Good call! He suffers from a surfeit of Ells, though.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation/groups/no-1-group/

Sideshow Bob
4th Mar 2021, 17:48
and a thoroughly nice bloke too.

ShyTorque
4th Mar 2021, 17:57
I went to the same school as a chap called Constable who joined the police....he was stationed at Bakewell in Derbyshire. I don't know if he was ever promoted.

spitfirek5054
4th Mar 2021, 19:42
I once knew an SACW Honey,and CPL Liquorice, and he was rather dark skinned:ok:

langleybaston
4th Mar 2021, 20:01
The RAF cannot begin to compete with the absurd shower of Met Men in my time: Including the ladies we only numbered 3500.

Of whom, I do not lie:

Waterfall, Snow, Hale, Gale, Wind, Frost, Flood and I am sure that I have forgotten a few.

In my cohort of 100 boys at school we had three Kings [not of Orient], three Smiths, a Brown, Green, Black, White, Gray.
The associated Girls' Grammar had a Rainbow ................

What's in a name?

treadigraph
4th Mar 2021, 20:17
I used to work with a Sargeant and a Constable (whose parents were both prison officers) at around the same time, and a few year earlier Emerson, Lake and Palmer (Tony, Paul and Jo).

If I remember correctly, the character in Catch 22 was Major Major Major Major.

Sideshow Bob
4th Mar 2021, 20:25
Major Major.

Catch-22
We had a Canadian exchange officer on 206 Sqn in the early 2000s, a Captain by the name of Major. We didn't take the micky much. He was promoted on his return to Canada.

spekesoftly
4th Mar 2021, 20:29
.... and I am sure that I have forgotten a few.

A couple of the current Weather ladies - Sara Blizzard and Nina Ridge.

Haraka
5th Mar 2021, 04:41
The classic nameplate on a door in MoD years ago.:
Sqn. Ldr. Hill.
Flt. Lt. Underhill.

ShyTorque
5th Mar 2021, 06:16
A couple of the current Weather ladies - Sara Blizzard and Nina Ridge.

I forecast the latter causes a lot of high pressure....

I.C. Gale was one of the Met forecasters at Odiham.

During my time at Shawbury there was an rotary wing instructor on CFSH with the surname Helliwell.

Bergerie1
5th Mar 2021, 06:26
There was a dentist in Henley called Mr Puller

The Oberon
5th Mar 2021, 06:35
I knew a policeman named Ninnall, His daughter was named Eve.
They lived in a house on Letsby Avenue.

Hat, coat.

Hydromet
5th Mar 2021, 06:46
I worked with one of three people who shared their profession but not their employer. They got together to write a paper - their surnames, French, Irish and Cornish. Surely they could have picked up a Scott along the way.

Also, while studying, one of our references was a paper by to people who had studied together from high school, and after attaining PhDs in the same discipline, wrote a paper together. Their names were Box and Cox.

Old-Duffer
5th Mar 2021, 13:17
I served with an officer in Hong Kong called Major Sergeant. His post was down ranked to Warrant Officer and he was not amused when I commented that Major Sergeant was doing a Sergeant Major's job.

Old Duffer

langleybaston
5th Mar 2021, 13:30
a married couple [true, I dined with them]

Miss Short, Mr Kerley

inevitable, a match made in Heaven.

condor17
5th Mar 2021, 17:30
In late70s-early 80s.
BA's Manager Forward Planning [ true ] was Mr Ron Muddle [ also true ] .

rgds condor .

Radley
5th Mar 2021, 18:26
In late70s-early 80s.
BA's Manager Forward Planning [ true ] was Mr Ron Muddle [ also true ] .

rgds condor .
My dentist when I was a child was called Mr Payne

Union Jack
5th Mar 2021, 22:50
You will be telling me that there was once an Air Vice-Marshal Marshall next :hmm:

Just to confuse the issue, there is also a Rear Admiral Marshall!

Jack
​​​​​​​

NutLoose
6th Mar 2021, 00:39
There was a guy at I think Odi or Brize called Bob Vere, his father was called Percy by his parents because he took so long to conceive if my memory is correct.

treadigraph
6th Mar 2021, 08:22
Then there was Bill and Moya Lear's daughter that they named Shanda. True!

JW411
6th Mar 2021, 14:38
I always thought that Ian Dick's parents had a sense of humour when they gave him the initials "ICH".

spitfirek5054
6th Mar 2021, 14:44
I used to know a P. Eyles when I was at Sek Kong.:)

Ken Scott
6th Mar 2021, 14:44
Just to confuse the issue, there is also a Rear Admiral Marshall!

The USN had a Rear Admiral Rea, although he was then promoted to Vice Admiral which wasn’t quite so amusing.

spitfirek5054
6th Mar 2021, 14:47
The USN had a Rear Admiral Rea, although he was then promoted to Vice Admiral which wasn’t quite so amusing.
Good job he was not a lower rank in the Royal Artillery :)

Asturias56
6th Mar 2021, 17:15
Who could forget Cardinal Sin................

ShyTorque
6th Mar 2021, 20:31
My dentist when I was a child was called Mr Payne

Mine was called Cheetham. He lived up to his name by drilling teeth that didn’t need filling and he was later struck off.

Hydromet
6th Mar 2021, 20:50
Worked briefly with a lady named Lisa Dean, whose family owned a trucking company. Her name was often spoonerised.

treadigraph
6th Mar 2021, 21:37
A friend worked with a Miss Cant and Mrs Punt - inadvertent Spoonerisms were a constant worry...

pitch horn
7th Mar 2021, 05:44
Few people will be aware that the Marks Brothers had a sister - “Onya”

spitfirek5054
7th Mar 2021, 06:27
I thought she was Karl Marx sister

Radley
7th Mar 2021, 10:57
I know we’re drifting a bit here, but when entering the Med we used an air traffic agency by the name of ‘Fanny Control’

LOMCEVAK
7th Mar 2021, 11:18
I remember Sgt Sergeant (George), who has already been mentioned, on 208 Sqn. I have also met a Captain Cannon who was in the RA at the time. And ACM Sandy Wilson’s parents were very forward thinking; his initials were RAF Wilson!

charliegolf
7th Mar 2021, 11:30
Gp Capt AFC Hunter AFC, back in his Odiham days.

CG

langleybaston
7th Mar 2021, 13:11
I remember Sgt Sergeant (George), who has already been mentioned, on 208 Sqn. I have also met a Captain Cannon who was in the RA at the time. And AVM Sandy Wilson’s parents were very forward thinking; his initials were RAF Wilson!

Thats a lot of demotion.

Ken Scott
7th Mar 2021, 13:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Scott

Posted by spitfirek5054:

Good job he was not a lower rank in the Royal Artillery https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/images/smilies/smile.gif

There was a Gunner William Rea, serving with the Canadian RA, KIA in 1916...

LOMCEVAK
7th Mar 2021, 19:17
Thats a lot of demotion.
Good spot and thank you. My error, now corrected in my post.

Tinribs
8th Mar 2021, 12:07
At RAE Bedford we had an ACE Holborne

BEagle
8th Mar 2021, 18:30
The late 'Shlib' W. had an unusual name patch - it read Brian Wxly.

Some Quite Senior Officer saw it and asked him "That's an unusal name? Polish...or what?"

"No Sir - Wx as in weather! My name is 'Weatherley'!"

"Err, oh. Hmm - I see. Must go, people to see!"

Nice chap, Shlib - 1986 RAFG Harrier display pilot until he lost his life at Chičvres during a display.

RIP

treadigraph
8th Mar 2021, 21:38
Just noticed a sort of relevant item in the Daily Telegraph business section (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/03/08/terry-boot-replaces-peter-foot-shoe-zone/) that had me checking the date:

Terry Boot will step into the position of finance chief at Shoe Zone after his predecessor Peter Foot walked away from the role.

Makes me wonder who runs the company... presumably they are not a sole trader.

Union Jack
8th Mar 2021, 22:33
Just noticed a sort of relevant item in the Daily Telegraph business section (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/03/08/terry-boot-replaces-peter-foot-shoe-zone/) that had me checking the date:

Makes me wonder who runs the company... presumably they are not a sole trader.

Well, someone has to see that the board all keep in step and toe the line.

Jack

phil9560
8th Mar 2021, 23:34
I'm surprised Colonel Pine-Coffin hasn't had a mention yet.

Ken Scott
9th Mar 2021, 06:54
https://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/geoffrey_pine_coffin.htm

There you go. Known by his men as ‘Wooden box’.

treadigraph
9th Mar 2021, 09:16
Was he easy to deal with? :p Sorry...

spitfirek5054
9th Mar 2021, 09:49
Was he easy to deal with? :p Sorry...
Dead easy:ok:

Mogwi
9th Mar 2021, 10:19
Mogwi senior X 2 was at Wipers in 1916 with CPL William Williams, know to all as Billy Twicey.

spitfirek5054
9th Mar 2021, 10:44
When I was at RAF Abingdon, we had
1)Army Warrant Officer :O`nions

2)J/T D čath,the officers pronounced it Dee-Ath, we pronounced it as Death

charliegolf
9th Mar 2021, 10:46
Mogwi senior X 2 was at Wipers in 1916 with CPL William Williams, know to all as Billy Twicey.

Irish, I assume!

CG (Viet Taff)

Sideshow Bob
9th Mar 2021, 12:51
There was a Flight Commander on 206 called Robert Robertshaw known always as Two Bob.
The RAF surgeon who repaired my right arm and hand called himself Air Cdr Bucher only Bucher was spelt Butcher 🤣

Not a Crew Chief
9th Mar 2021, 14:23
When I was at RAF Abingdon, we had
1)Army Warrant Officer :O`nions

2)J/T D čath,the officers pronounced it Dee-Ath, we pronounced it as Death

Spitfire, you must have been there same time as me. J/T Death was a good mate. He also pronounced it Death and very proud of it. We parted company, after a move to Brize, when I went to Germany and he to MSS. Have met several O'nions in my time but don't recall that particular one.
Someone earlier mentioned a Cpl Liquorice. The one I knew was in Base Hangar stores (Belfast/Andover end) and until lockdown seen regularly early mornings at bus stop in Cartoontown.

Ken Scott
9th Mar 2021, 17:01
The family who owned the big estate near where I grew up in Devon were the Bastards. Not pronounced ‘B’stard’, if anyone did they would correct them, ‘it’s Bastard’.

Hydromet
10th Mar 2021, 00:10
A florist in Melbourne named Bugeja, pronounced "bugger ya". On their van, under their name was painted "Smile when you say that".

A fellow apprentice I started with at QF had the surname Onions, can't remember his given name.

Helena Handbasket
10th Mar 2021, 00:27
During my time on 617 one of the CO's was Wing Commander L.G. Bastard.
I always thought that was a real character building name.

laterron
10th Mar 2021, 02:05

The Principal Medical Officer of the RAAF in the mid 80's was Group Captain Graham Killer

mgahan
10th Mar 2021, 03:12
And when SQN LDR G Killer was at Butterworth in the 1970's the Senior Nursing Officer was SQN LDR Bone..

MJG
WG CDR (retd) [so it does not make too much of a contribution to the thread drift. ]

treadigraph
10th Mar 2021, 04:08
A fellow apprentice I started with at QF had the surname Onions, can't remember his given name.

Fred Onions?

spitfirek5054
10th Mar 2021, 06:53
A florist in Melbourne named Bugeja, pronounced "bugger ya". On their van, under their name was painted "Smile when you say that".

Spring??:)

Hydromet
10th Mar 2021, 07:40
Spring??
:D:D:D

Very good!

kaitakbowler
10th Mar 2021, 08:18
He was CO at Cottesmore, '69, his son wasn't Robin, was he?😉

langleybaston
10th Mar 2021, 10:57
He was CO at Cottesmore, '69, his son wasn't Robin, was he?😉

I think also OC Flying at Finningley, perhaps immediately previously.

J.A.F.O.
10th Mar 2021, 11:51
I met a chap back in the 80s who had served during the war and never risen above LAC. His first three names were Arthur Victor Michael and, apparently, that had, on a couple of occasions, seen him being offered slightly better accommodation than he was due as LAC.

J.A.F.O.
10th Mar 2021, 11:56
Oh, and I once knew a police officer called Nick Nunn.

J.A.F.O.
10th Mar 2021, 11:58
The undertakers near to where I grew up was Box Brothers.

212man
10th Mar 2021, 12:25
I met a chap back in the 80s who had served during the war and never risen above LAC. His first three names were Arthur Victor Michael and, apparently, that had, on a couple of occasions, seen him being offered slightly better accommodation than he was due as LAC.
Reminds me of a conversation I had with two 'Lieutenants' in the Royal Brunei Navy during an open day. The Brunei military use a standard rank nomenclature across the three services, although the Navy uniform mirrors that of the UK RN. Consequently these' lieutenants' were actually 'captains'. They had recently returned from a visit to the US, where they had been hosted at a USN base. They said there had been some bemusement on their arrival, with lots of scrambled egg and gold, to welcome these two 25 year old 'two ringers'!

Ken Scott
10th Mar 2021, 13:49
I was a QFI on a UAS where one day the boss had a call from a former student who wished to visit the airfield. The boss was rather NFI about it until the ex-student said, ‘I bet you’d be more helpful if you knew I was a retired Air Marshal!’

The boss then couldn’t do enough to help & I was tasked to host him. He turned up in his own ac, an Arrow Active. A top bloke, ex-Flt Lt & former TP. He was somewhat scathing of the attitude of the boss though.

zetec2
10th Mar 2021, 15:20
Would that be Desmond Penrose ?

Old-Duffer
10th Mar 2021, 15:23
L G Bastard would often have people trying to avoid using his proper name - say Bee Starred and his favourite repost was "Bastard - Bastard by name and Bastard by nature". He's long gone, sadly but not forgotten.

O-D

treadigraph
10th Mar 2021, 15:34
Would that be Desmond Penrose ?

Certainly who I am thinking of...

Ken Scott
10th Mar 2021, 15:40
Indeed it was. When it came time to leave he said to me, ‘so you’re swinging my prop, then?’ I agreed although I’d never done it but the boss became all ‘elf & safety and refused to allow me, or anyone else to do it. Desmond was stunned and said, ‘how the b***dy hell do I get home then?’

Our (civvy) chief engineer came to the rescue & Desmond departed in something of a foul mood (directed at our boss).

kaitakbowler
10th Mar 2021, 17:17
I think also OC Flying at Finningley, perhaps immediately previously.
Came to Cottesmore from the USA, IIRC, USAF delivered a yank tank shortly after he arrived. Pontiac GTO comes to mind

langleybaston
10th Mar 2021, 18:46
Came to Cottesmore from the USA, IIRC, USAF delivered a yank tank shortly after he arrived. Pontiac GTO comes to mind

Perhaps it was another Bbastard then!

Tinribs
11th Mar 2021, 14:14
It can go the other way. Tanking a Buc to the gulf in 68 back seater seemed out of touch with calls a bit. After landing changing break chute and refuelling with back seater helping we went to the mess for supper. A mess person said use the staff dining room as VIP has the feeder. Half way through the meal a steward came in and said its bleeding chaos out there they have lost a bloody admiral back seater says o dear thats me.

NRU74
11th Mar 2021, 15:20
Was that ‘Bobbin’ - Bucs to Eagle off Butterworth ?

srjumbo747
12th Mar 2021, 11:06
And back to the current day, I’ve been invited by a well known pilot union to join a webinar and the two guest speakers are being advertised as ‘Captain’. Neither are currently flying and I just don’t get it!

To the better informed than me can I ask? If I have a command with a small airline then join a bigger one as a FO do I still call myself Captain? Therefore, if I no longer have a job do I still call myself Captain?

Just curious.

Four Turbo
12th Mar 2021, 11:31
At Wildenrath in the early sixties two of the ladies in the Officers' Mess were named Trudi Cant and Susie Quinn. We had lots of fun with both. (Well that's my memory of it; any one else there at the time to corroborate?)

Hot 'n' High
14th Mar 2021, 16:04
.......a steward came in and said its bleeding chaos out there they have lost a bloody admiral back seater says o dear thats me.

Brill - love it!!!! Bit like some students back a day or 2 early after Summer Leave throwing out a scruffy urchin they found in the Wardroom dressed in mud-stained gardening gear. "Oh, I must really apologise for the state of my dress. I was just trying to pick up a bin bag [or something equally innocuous] from the Galley and really didn't expect to find anyone here today. Anyway, back off down the hill to my house. My apologies again lads! Bye!". As he wandered off, there was an eerie pause as the fact slowly sank in that the only house "down the hill" was the Skippers'...... Ooops! Well, he looked like one of the gardening staff!!!! :\

Or, the Navy providing SAR at Silverstone, when yet another oldish gent, this one in Sports Jacket, saunters up to the RN Cab and assembled bored aircrew lounging around awaiting any trade. "Afternoon chaps, thought I'd pop over and see how things are." On seeing some quizzical looks from the crew he decided he better explain his interest in their welfare ... "Oh, by the way, I'm FONAC." (Flag Officer Naval Air Command). Several then recognised/believed him - except for one at the front who said, words to the effect of "FONAC? Yer, right mate! And I'm the Queen of Sheba!!! And this is ......". As he turned round to introduce the person next to him as "Donald Duck" (or some such) he saw the look of absolute horror spreading over the faces of the rest of the crew!!!! When being told this story I was laughing so much by the end I never found out how FONAC took it!!!!!! Quite how the "guilty one" thought some posh bloke in the middle of the Silverstone circuit would even think of calling themselves FONAC if they weren't is, shall we say, "a tad short-sighted"!!!! :ok:

Tengah Type
14th Mar 2021, 20:46
The Padre at RAF Hullavington in 1962 spent his spare time tending to the Officers Mess gardens, usually in tatty gardening dress. It was always fun when a new course arrived for the Nav School as there was always sombody who would arrive In their new MG/Morgan, present from Daddy for being commisioned and demand from the "Peasant" where to park his beautiful car. The Padre in full Wing Commander uniform would make a point of sitting at the same table as the new arrival for lunch causing a certain amount of discomfort as well as a valuable lesson in respect for others.

Back in the mists of time (1966/67) the RAF Telephone system relied on a relay of exchanges manned mainly by WRAF. To connect from Marham to Leuchars/Lossie or similar required connections to "Eastern", "Stanbridge","Northern" "Scottish" ( or some such). The call would arrive at the station where the operator would plug a jack plug into the appropriate socket to achieve the connection. Sometimes calls were misdirected.
Most flying squadrons had a dozen phones, one of which was the "Ops" phone. There were no "Ops" rooms, as such, so the phone was in the corner of the crew room manned by a co-pilot or Nav joed for the day.
It was common practice for "Jokers" on the squadron to call the "Ops" number and announce themselves as "AOC", "the Pope", "Station Commander" and other humourous appointments.. The story goes that on a Vulcan squadron that the phone rang for the caller, who was the AOC, to talk to the Station Commander. It was not the first "Spoof" call oi the day so the duty responder said "Why dont you just F--k Off"
It was the real AOC ( Ted Le Bas?) who after being connected to the Station Commander requested the culprit in his office at Bawtry at 0800 the following day.,

The following morning our hero in best uniform, shiny shoes etc is there at the appointed hour. The PSO tells him to wait. AOC arrives and proceeds to his office ignoring the trembling Flying Officer. At 1230 the AOC departs for lunch and the PSO tells the Flying Officer to go to the Mess and grab a quick lunch and the AOC will see him after lunch. At 1400 AOC returns and ignores the quivering jelly of a Flying Officer. Eventually at 1700 the young lad is summoned to the presence to hear his fate. After a few minutes the AOC looks up and says "Why dont you just F--k Off". There were no further recriminations, but people were a bit more carefull on the telephone afterwards.

I suppose in these days it would now be "Bullying" and deserve a multi million compensation.

langleybaston
14th Mar 2021, 23:26
And then there was "station farm, duty pig!"

and "Brown, you're through"

and "say again all after Good Morning!"

I fear that this next is not unique, but believe it to be true. I might even have participated.

RAFG had a talking clock to coordinate hacks, The clock, on the phone, was not infallible, and a WAAF deputised in real time on occasion. And occasionally answered back, like a precursor of Alexa. Then again it might never have happened ..............................

Puerile, but fun at the time.

One more confession. S Met O at a certain fighter station in RAFG was not all popular [not unusual, but extreme]. We had a new cleaner girl, not German, but perhaps Turkish? Scarcely a word of English. We taught her the words to greet the Boss each morning, something like "Hello Bill you bloody old bastard!" delivered with a friendly smile and a flick of the duster. She quickly learnt the other weather words like "P1sssing down" and seasonal variants. She lasted longer than the boss.

BEagle
15th Mar 2021, 00:56
Ah yes, phone jokers! At Heaven-in-Devon on 63 Sqn, the late Pete Stone was a master of such antics. His best was when he rang the Stn Cdr, a chap not known for a sense of humour, then rang off after a few rings before the phone could be answered. Then on another nearby phone he did the same thing to the Stn Cdr's wife. Both were now expecting the phone to ring again, so Stoney duly obliged, turning the handset round on one, so that it faced the earpiece of the other, then he listened in to the "What is it?" "I don't know - you rang me" "No I didn't" argument which got progressively more acrimonious! Finally he announced "Well, it must have been someone else then!" and quickly cleared the phones down, leaving the Stn Cdr and his wife to sort themselves out later.

Before dial-a-mate, those old manual exchanges of which TT spoke were in obscure locations such as 'Central' or 'Rothwell Haigh' and were operated by ancient old biddies who would route the call. But would suddenly screech "Are you working??" if you paused for thought during the call! One day on 35 Sqn, one of our number was trying to call somewhere on this archaic system when there was a 'click' and the line went quiet. "Bolleaux!", he muttered, "The f*****g old b***h has cut me off".... Whereupon there was an outraged howl of anger as one of the old dears remonstrated with "YOUNG MAN, THERE IS NO CALL TO USE LANGUAGE LIKE THAT!!"

Hot 'n' High
15th Mar 2021, 09:36
..... It was common practice for "Jokers" on the squadron to call the "Ops" number and announce themselves as "AOC", "the Pope", "Station Commander" and other humourous appointments.. .....

I am led to believe that, re the Silverstone SAR incident, the crew had had a long, hot and tedious day of various Race VVIPs coming over and introducing themselves as "Chairman of Barclays Bank", "CEO of Daimler-Benz" or "Crown Prince {add your own Arab-sounding name} of {add your own Arab-sounding country}". Obviously some "clown" ambling over and then claiming to be FONAC was the last straw....... :}

ShyTorque
15th Mar 2021, 09:47
Some years ago I had to divert to refuel our company SK76 at Yeovilton, due to changing plans and bad weather. The company uniform was dark blue trousers, white shirt, dark blue tie and a dark blue formal jacket. I had to go to the ops building to pay. I immediately sensed that the atmosphere in there seemed quite tense and formal, quite unlike that of the RAF I was more used to (having served almost twenty years therein).

It wasn't until later I "twigged" that of course walking in wearing what was almost a replica RN uniform with wings and four gold rings on my sleeves must have put them on "Walt Alert". If I'd thought about it at the time should have broken the ice with a bit of banter...never mind, too late!

charliegolf
15th Mar 2021, 10:23
What greater shame than being taken for a fish head Shy.:ok:

CG

ShyTorque
15th Mar 2021, 10:32
What greater shame than being taken for a fish head Shy.:ok:

CG

Indeed, but at least it wasn't the army!! ;)

Haraka
15th Mar 2021, 10:36
Regarding Yeoviton, my late Father had a small cottage right on the fence and displaced only few dozen yards from the upwind threshold of the main runway.
As the Sea Harrier came aboard, he was concerned about the beasts transistioning very close to his and surrounding housing. He got through to the Captain and expressed his concerns. I am informed that the ensuing conversation went along thes lines.
"Rest assured Mr.Haraka,that as an RN senior officer with some 3000 hours experience on fast jets I can assure you there is no cause for concern"
" Well as an Ex RAF Senior Technician with now some 20 years industry experience of participation in aircraft accident investigations, I can assure you that there is,"

Bob Viking
15th Mar 2021, 10:50
Was your late father’s message simply that aircraft can crash?

If he knew that why was he happy to live in such close proximity to an airfield? Especially one with Harriers!

BV

Haraka
15th Mar 2021, 10:55
He was there before the Harriers Bob and not unduly alarmed by the previous occupants!

MPN11
15th Mar 2021, 11:05
Before dial-a-mate, those old manual exchanges of which TT spoke were in obscure locations such as 'Central' or 'Rothwell Haigh' and were operated by ancient old biddies who would route the call. But would suddenly screech "Are you working??" if you paused for thought during the call! IME it was a Rothwell Haigh speciality! "Are you still working ... click" is an abiding memory of those days working with ancient technology.

NutLoose
15th Mar 2021, 11:30
Did you see Tipping Point the other night...I know..... nice chap answering questions said to one I should know this having lived in Germany for three years...I thought oh oh ex mil... he then got a US state question and again, oh i lived there for xyz years ( exchange )... and again a question on beetles, he says I should know this as 64 sqn had a beetle on the badge ( Ex Sqn )...pushed by the presenter he tells him he spent 30 odd years in the RAF, 20 years flying........... he then won a mystery prize.. a flight simulator experience... how I laughed and so did he.:E

Hot 'n' High
15th Mar 2021, 13:27
..... walking in wearing what was almost a replica RN uniform with wings and four gold rings on my sleeves must have put them on "Walt Alert". .....

Or, more likely. "Oh sh1Ł, where has that Captain {RN} just appeared from???!!! Anyone seen a VISITEM on this? What the hell??????!!!!!! Ah, wait, no scroll; a Mivvie!!!! Must be a Walt!!!". :ok:

When a baby Apprentice, parade uniform was black trousers and black jacket, white shirt and epaulettes and black tie. One Friday I was due to see an old school mate now at Uni and living in digs (an old farm) a couple of miles outside Oxford. Divisions ran on for some reason so, once wrapped up, I decided to high-tail it in rig to beat the Friday rush as best I could. I ditched the jacket and headed on my way - but retained tie on as, technically, I was still in rig.

Pitched up at the farm and had a good weekend - but didn't see much of the other "inmates". Drove back South on Sunday and arrived in the Block to a message (these being pre-mobile/internet days) to call my mate urgently. Wondered what I'd left behind that required an urgent call back but obliged. After my mate had cautiously exchanged a few pleasantries (How was the traffic? etc) he finally came to the real reason - "Look, I've had a request from the rest of the house-mates - that you don't turn up in uniform next time you visit if that's OK with you."

Seems, when they saw me stepping out my car, they assumed I was a uniformed copper in an unmarked car leading a Drugs Bust on the farm and I had cost them a small fortune as they rapidly flushed a stash of incriminating "materials" down the loos! On hearing this, me laughing didn't go down too well - "Look, NO uniform next time!!!! They are not happy bunnies - in fact I think we should give it a while before you next visit!". I never did go back ........ he moved out to a place in town the following year! Prolly just as well........ :p

ZH875
26th Mar 2021, 16:37
Here's one bloke who won't be using his rank in his retirement.

Major general jailed for Dorset school fees fraud (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-56538334)

212man
26th Mar 2021, 16:57

Major general jailed for Dorset school fees fraud (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-56538334)
Following his sentencing, an MoD spokesperson said: "It has been proven in this case that retired Major General Nicholas Welch OBE
Obviously the spokesperson didn't ready the summary of the sentence properly!

MPN11
26th Mar 2021, 17:49
also sentenced Welch to retrospective dismissal from the Army, meaning he can no longer benefit from his rank of retired major general.Not wishing to rub salt into his wounds, but what happens to his pension? Does that remain secure? And indeed his LS&GC?

Haraka
26th Mar 2021, 18:07
He got caught.
(I wonder who he p*ssed off?)

Fortissimo
26th Mar 2021, 18:28
what happens to his pension? Does that remain secure? And indeed his LS&GC?

His OBE will be withdrawn, as with any State Award to someone subsequently sentenced to jail. His LS&GC will be removed as the GC bit is self-evidently proven to be wrong, but he will retain the other service medals he earned. He will keep his pension as prison plus a fine of that magnitude would be a disproportionate penalty that would not apply to a civilian (yes, I know he is a retired serviceman) convicted of a similar fraud. He will not be entitled to use the rank as his commission will be terminated by sentence of CM rather than relinquished, so he won't be bothering this thread too much.

I have a small amount of sympathy for someone who has fallen so spectacularly from grace and who will probably have quite a hard time in prison, but he has only himself to blame. Others who have been caught playing fast and loose with CEA and its predecessor have been treated differently in the past.

However, I have a great deal of sympathy for his children, who will probably be feeling guilty even though their only crime was to be of school age, and whose education is probably about to be disrupted. I would, however, be quite interested to know whose decision it was for his wife to spend so much time 'in the country' and whether that person still thinks it was a good idea.

langleybaston
26th Mar 2021, 18:45
What a sad and indeed silly way to go. There are absolutely no winners ........ the army is a reputational loser, and the principle of CEA is bound to come under scrutiny. The whole family suffers and their comfortable future is in doubt, as the usual jobs for retired VSOs will disappear..

A sad day, and I dare say a fair number of servicemen and women are gently revising their living arrangements .......... there was some obvious jiggery-pokery to be seen during school holidays, with wives arriving back at JHQ at about the same time as the offspring clambered off the lollipop specials..

MPN11
26th Mar 2021, 18:50
Thanks, Fortissomo.

The OH used to be the 'subject expert' on BSA [as was] many years ago. It was a complex subject, and of course the Regs may have changed since she hung up her quill.

I could imagine, for the defence, that a VSO got his PSO to originate the paperworks, signed it off and forgot about it ... without VSO or Mrs VSO being fully cognisant of the complex Regs. A lot of detail would be needed by we 'outsiders' to determine what went on, but clearly the CM were convinced of culpable conduct.

I share the sadness for all those impacted.

ShyTorque
26th Mar 2021, 19:10
As an ex officer who never claimed one penny from the U.K. taxpayer in boarding school fees (although with two qualifying children at one time I could certainly have done so) it makes my blood pressure rise more than a little to learn of fraud at this level.

Wrathmonk
26th Mar 2021, 19:26
I suspect that there will be a long hard look at every single recipient of CEA with regards to their ongoing eligibility. With a former 2* receiving custodial sentence plus a repayment order it sets the bench mark for any future cases of guilt.

I also don’t hold water with the “he just signed it without fully understanding it”. As a 2* he will approved many other subordinates CEA paperwork as he climbed the greasy pole - I suspect their paperwork will be the first under the microscope.

Makes you wonder what else he “signed off” without fully understanding the ramifications.

ExAscoteer2
26th Mar 2021, 19:47
He's got what he deserved. Silly, silly, man.

ORAC
26th Mar 2021, 20:11
Still, he’s earned his place in the history books...

MPN11
26th Mar 2021, 20:19
Still, he’s earned his place in the history books...
And commemorated in song as well (sorry, one shouldn’t mock) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3dPaz9nAo

langleybaston
26th Mar 2021, 21:07
As an ex officer who never claimed one penny from the U.K. taxpayer in boarding school fees (although with two qualifying children at one time I could certainly have done so) it makes my blood pressure rise more than a little to learn of fraud at this level.

I had four! They opted to stay at home wherever home was, so did well at Queen's, Rheindahlen.:.

212man
26th Mar 2021, 22:48
I had four! They opted to stay at home wherever home was, so did well at Queen's, Rheindahlen.:.
Didn’t do me any harm either! (Along with the other 4 BFES offerings).

ShyTorque
26th Mar 2021, 23:15
Our eldest had been in seven different schools by the time it came for him to sit his GCSE exams because he didn’t want to go to boarding school and we wanted to bring him up ourselves, rather than put him in the care of others. He’s done very well for himself, as in fact all his three siblings have done.

langleybaston
26th Mar 2021, 23:42
Our eldest had been in seven different schools by the time it came for him to sit his GCSE exams because he didn’t want to go to boarding school and we wanted to bring him up ourselves, rather than put him in the care of others. He’s done very well for himself, as in fact all his three siblings have done.

Good. Likewise!.
Following the flag has life-teaching intrinsic values to offset continuity. Hosting Mum and Dad's drinks or dinner do's, and waiting at table, and washing up, and being polite, are part of the virtuous offsets. Plus bed and breakfast and pub German.

Trumpet trousers
26th Mar 2021, 23:55

Where he's going, He'll have to decide pretty soon whether he wants to be Mummy or Daddy...

ShyTorque
27th Mar 2021, 00:00
Mine didn’t learn much Pub German. But then at the age of six months it wouldn’t have been expected in this household!

Krystal n chips
27th Mar 2021, 05:35
He got caught.
(I wonder who he p*ssed off?)

Seemingly a neighbour.... the bit about his wife suddenly returning to London , as reported, is worth noting.....

Major general jailed for 21 months for Dorset boarding school fee fraud | Military | The Guardian (https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/26/major-general-jailed-21-months-dorset-boarding-school-fee-fraud)

vascodegama
27th Mar 2021, 07:24
I suspect that quite a few cases have sailed close to the wind as far as these rules are concerned.

Haraka
27th Mar 2021, 09:19
You might remember the " Curtains for Wilson " episode.

Asturias56
27th Mar 2021, 09:23
Suspect he and his Mrs didn't make any effort to make friends at their London address - and that's where someone got narked. Probably someone who was obeying the rules at some pain

MPN11
27th Mar 2021, 10:36
According to The Times this morning [sorry, not an on-line subscriber] there's a bit more flesh on the bones ...

He claimed he couldn't afford the school fees.
They spent most of their time at their Dorset home.
He "deliberately manipulated the numbers" to mislead military police about how much time his wife spent in London.
She claimed the colonel neighbour who reported them was "daunted" by her husband's rank.
The JAG said "You ignored multiple warnings ..."

charliegolf
27th Mar 2021, 10:49
Is it the case that people with the most (and there won't be many soldiers earning more than a 2 star with London allowances) always want to grab some more? Or does it just seem that way?

CG

Wensleydale
27th Mar 2021, 10:52
If he loses all rank, will his children still receive a "private" education?

57mm
27th Mar 2021, 15:51
Love the character reference from a fellow General: "A man of unimpeachable integrity"........

charliegolf
27th Mar 2021, 16:50
The fellow general being a man of unimpeachable judgement. Obvs!

CG

hunterboy
27th Mar 2021, 19:04
I had to laugh at the wife’s comment of “daunted at her husbands rank”....more like just pissed off at them abusing the rules while others had to follow them.

Slow Biker
27th Mar 2021, 19:55
21 months inside pour encourager les autres.

sycamore
27th Mar 2021, 20:00
May be the Colonel who `grassed` him will probaly get a move.....sideways,to distant parts.....

BEagle
27th Mar 2021, 22:16
Notwithstanding the idiot's fraudulent brat-breeding claim, you have to feel sorry for the children.

Quite how they'll cope with friends knowing that Daddy is playing b*tch to Big Ron of E wing is going to be rather difficult for them, I would imagine...

Sideshow Bob
27th Mar 2021, 22:47
May be the Colonel who `grassed` him will probaly get a move.....sideways,to distant parts.....
why should he? He's done nothing wrong apart from making authorities aware of criminal behaviour

langleybaston
27th Mar 2021, 23:26
Notwithstanding the idiot's fraudulent brat-breeding claim, you have to feel sorry for the children.

Quite how they'll cope with friends knowing that Daddy is playing b*tch to Big Ron of E wing is going to be rather difficult for them, I would imagine...

Come on, this is getting nasty. We don't need the details, the fact is bad enough. There are no winners, and sniggering or gloating is not becoming.

Haraka
28th Mar 2021, 08:22
Actually Beags. although enduring a miserable episode psychologically,I doubt very much if he will living a "Porridge" like existence. In all probability ,after a short assessment, my guess would be that he would be suitably categorised as low risk and be transferred to an open prison , with trips allowed from time to time locally and weekend releases back home. He will also broaden his horizons socially I expect.. A bit like being back in his early days in the Army perhaps?.

Asturias56
28th Mar 2021, 08:26
he's already lost the job he took after leaving the Army 2 years ago... I'm sure he will do OK - he;s not an idiot but just someone else trapped by his sense of entitlement.

We all need to stop sometimes and ask ourselves "what does this look like to outsiders?"

Old-Duffer
28th Mar 2021, 10:01
The current Mrs O-D was a sqn ldr doing P1 and P2 (legal and personnel) during her last tour in the mob.

In a conversation about things which were not always clear cut, she opined that she used to ask herself a question which panned out as: "at the subsequent Board of Enquiry", to decide how to deal with uncertainties.

O-D

Ken Scott
28th Mar 2021, 13:02
In a conversation about things which were not always clear cut, she opined that she used to ask herself a question which panned out as: "at the subsequent Board of Enquiry", to decide how to deal with uncertainties.

A similar technique I found very useful for airborne decisions too - how would the ensuing events sound to someone reading the accident report in a crew room? It managed to filter some of my more dubious plans!

Asturias56
28th Mar 2021, 13:31
I once had a boss who asked an Irish lawyer how he could avoid doing anything illegal -

the answer was "imagine you're standing there and Counsel turns to you and says" Now Mr A, would you like to explain to the jury...." - if you think you'll be happy at that point you're probably OK!"

langleybaston
28th Mar 2021, 13:32
And, at admin level, "the purpose of this instruction is ........"

Thus, middle ranking officers can look at the letter of the instruction, decide that it fails to fit the case in front of them, and seek to fulfil the purpose.

teeteringhead
29th Mar 2021, 08:56
Often thought I was one of the (very) few people using BSA (as was) correctly; indeed it was for "continuity of education".

Senior Daughter and Son-and-Heir were at the local State School, she about to start her sixth form, he about to embark on his pre-GCSE two years.

Fortunately (and unusually in the State sector), the School had a Boarding House, so when Norn Iron beckoned yet again, they could stay where they were (continuity of education - geddit?) - with a little help from BSA - for the 2 years Self, Milady Teeters and Junior Daughter were off to EGAA - again.

NutLoose
29th Mar 2021, 16:10
Now he has been jailed and although he had already left the Army, does he now forfeit his pension or can that only be removed while he is serving? and if it is forfeit, does he now have to payback those pension payments he may have received?

hunterboy
29th Mar 2021, 16:53
Seems a bit harsh to forfeit a pension earned while employed. The punishment is the 21 months imprisonment I would have thought?

Fareastdriver
29th Mar 2021, 17:53
I thought that losing your pension because you had been a naughty boy went out with Dixon of Dock Green.

The Oberon
30th Mar 2021, 05:07
I believe he keeps his pension but loses his OBE and LSGCM.

PlasticCabDriver
30th Mar 2021, 09:10

By the time she was 5 my eldest was on her 5th house. Fortunately the 5th one was the one we bought after I left. She’s off to university this summer, and we’re still in it!

Crromwellman
30th Mar 2021, 14:54
You might remember the " Curtains for Wilson " episode.
Haraka, I remember it well. I was working at Defence Sales and i got a call from a friend at Strike who told me not to worry about Sandy because he had a job lined up at Laura Ashley as their defence sales manager

langleybaston
30th Mar 2021, 16:18
By the time she was 5 my eldest was on her 5th house. Fortunately the 5th one was the one we bought after I left. She’s off to university this summer, and we’re still in it!

Beats me, but I used to teach refresher courses for forecasters aged c. 45 years ,therefore 25 years service. One long-running project which ended with a sample of about 200 was the number of house moves in career, excluding voluntary ones [other than MQs, the Queen paid all selling/ buying agent and solicitor fees and removal expenses and a bit on top.]

Average move frequency was three years, probably a little less often than serving RAF..

We managed [during married life]: Thirsk, Gutersloh, Doncaster, Yateley, JHQ, Gainsborough, Bridgend, JHQ and S. Lincs. Nine in 36 years. The average stay was held long-ish by virtue of some serious commuting and also some serious Mess living to avoid uprooting the children.

This is not a complaint, we all have had boxes that packed themselves ...........

The Oberon
30th Mar 2021, 16:45
Not only the military, Oberon Senior was in the Metropolitan Police and by the time I was 15 I was on my 6th. school. The 3 years at Locking was the longest I spent under tuition.

Fareastdriver
30th Mar 2021, 20:10
I lived in fourteen houses and went to twelve schools. The shortest school was Solva in 1945. I came back after the first day whinging that I couldnt understand anybody. A few days later I went to St Davids where they spoke English. In 1950 I joined my father at RAF Heany in Rhodesia and we lived in a mission farm 30 miles out of Bulawayo so I had six months off until my father found a house in town.

Coming back in March 1953 I stayed with my grandparents until my father had sorted a house near Moreton in the Marsh. It was nearly the summer holidays so I stayed out until the next term. Rhodesia stated senior school at twelve so at thirteen I went straight into the third form and had to catch up two years work.

Halfway through my fourth form my father was going to leave the Air Force and go back to Rhodesia. The school decided to push me through some O Levels so I had some qualifications so I got Maths English and Science after two years work.

My father delayed by ten months so I had fifteen free periods a week just doing French, Geography and History. I never did receive those certificates but fortunately I joined the RAF in Salisbury on a Direct Commission when only three O Levels were required: two days before the DC Scheme B came in which required six O Levels.

MPN11
31st Mar 2021, 08:03
FED ... forgive my nit-piking, but Dec B was 5. My 6th O-level was a spare!

Herod
31st Mar 2021, 10:51
Agreed, 5 O-level, and if you were trying for Cranwell (Permanent Commission) two of those at A-level. I had A in Chemistry and Geography, O in English, Maths and Physics. Luckily for me (in retrospect) I failed the Cranwell, but was offered the DEC B