PDA

View Full Version : How many hours do YOU fly per year?

EI_Sparks
18th Aug 2002, 22:33
Okay, following on from this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63761) ,
How many hours do you log per year?

And how many of those are "on-the-job" so to speak, as opposed to "just-for-fun" stuff you paid for yourself?
(Oh, and if it's your own plane, how about you tell us that too?)

FlyingForFun
19th Aug 2002, 09:12
Something wrong with my PC, I can't vote in these polls. But then I'm not sure how I'd vote anyway, since I have never had a "normal" year, and I'm not sure exactly what I should include as "just for fun". So I'll have to write a post instead. Would be nice to see more posts on this thread to describe what kind of flying you all do, rather than just hitting a voting button!

I don't have my logbook with me, so all numbers are approximate, but here goes. Started flying in summer 2000. Logged about 25 hours in 2000, but that was only half a year.

In the first half of 2001 I finished off my PPL, which took another 30 hours or so. Between July and November, I was flying "just for fun" as often as I could, and logged about 40 more hours. This included about 6 hours on a tail-dragger check-out.

It was around October/November when I decided to start working towards my ATPL, so I spent the whole of December/January in America, hour-building. I do definitely count this as flying "for fun", but I'm not sure whether it fits the description of "just for fun." I logged more hours than the minimum required for the CPL training, in more varied types than I needed to, and I didn't get my Class 1 medical until after I returned from America because even if I failed the Class 1 I knew that I'd still have enjoyed my "flying holiday"- so yes, fun was the main factor, with hour-building coming a close second. In 2 months, I logged around 100 hours. This included a complex check-out on an Arrow, some more comprehensive tail-dragger training, aerobatics, multi-engine flying (I logged 5 hours, but didn't get the class rating, because I couldn't afford to keep it current if I did) and a night qualification, and a load of flying around Arizona and the South West enjoying the view!

Since February, I've only managed to log about 10 or 20 hours. In April I bought a share in my own aircraft - a Europa monowheel. Not too much time logged on the Europa yet though. It took a while before I could arrange a time when the instructor was free, but I did eventually get checked out. Since then, I've been fairly busy working on the ATPL exams. When I have planned on flying, the weather's often been crap. And the plane has been out of action for a few weeks while we've been fixing a few things on it, and now it's about to have a 100-hour check done.

I hope to be able to start logging a reasonable number of hours again next month, when the 100-hour check is complete, but with half of the ATPL groundschool studying still to do, it will probably be next March before I can get back to a "normal" level of flying again. I'd guess "normal" would be flying 2 weeks in 3 on average, weather permitting, and around 1 or 2 hours each time I fly, with an occassional longer trip. But who knows!

Hope that answers the question!

FFF
----------------

Whirlybird
19th Aug 2002, 09:53
I've done about 475 hours in just under 5 years; it'll be 500 by the end of this year. Split is approx 265 rotary, 200 f/w, 10 flexwing microlight. Although I have a CPL(H) and I'm hour building to do an instructors course, I consider it all "just-for-fun". The only reason for going commercial was to get paid to fly helicopters, as long term I can't afford it otherwise. I'll never recoup all that I've spent on flying; I started too late in life, and that's not even my aim. So I consider it all "fun" flying. Now when I actually get paid - OK, that might be different.

foghorn
19th Aug 2002, 10:22
Not enough:D

sennadog
19th Aug 2002, 12:07
Since commencing my PPL last October I've done 55 hours, the last 7 of which have been since getting my licence.

In future I reckon to on about 70 hours per year - it would be more than that if I could afford it but the great attraction of getting the PPL is the chance to visit and fly in other countries.

At the moment, with the help of some fellow Prooners I'm planning a trip to RSA in April which should result in 40 odd hours in two weeks, give or take but at £35 per hour it is very cheap. The places I'm planning to visit should be fantastic and now that Mrs.Sennadog is happy with flying (quite like the bumps yesterday but wasn't keen on inadvertently flying into cloud) it will make it far easier on the persuasion front.

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Aug 2002, 17:57
899.9 unfortunately ;)

Actually somedays it seems greedy to take the money. I still get that thrill when the throttle(s) move forward for take off - even if it is the fourth time on a 12 hour day in the seat.

I wouldn't do anything else for a job.

Just don't tell management.

Keef
19th Aug 2002, 19:03
Anything between 15 and 100!

When I was working for a living, that rather got in the way. Nowadays, I can fly when I like, and reckon on about 60 a year.

Total time 500 hours - I started in 1980, so you can see how it's developed!

AerBabe
19th Aug 2002, 21:10
I started my PPL in April 2000, and logged about 25 hours that year. 2001 I completed the PPL in another 35 hours. Since I've had my licence I've flown another 17 hours, and I guess I'll fly another 15 this year (depending on cash flow and time as usual!).

At the moment I'm experimenting with new types. I've got myself checked out on the club's cherokee, which is cheaper, and can fit in more cost-sharers! Next year I should have a job, so I want to fly Tiger Moths (don't we all?). So currently I'm getting taildragger time in a Chipmunk :) Excellent fun, and proper flying! I'm keeping the cherokee/C152 current, but can't afford to do much.

I would hope to log 50 or 60 hours per year, but I'm not hour-building (yet?), so it's not particularly important. It's just as useful for me to navigate for someone else, or do the R/T for them, even if I'm not logging the time.

John Varndell
20th Aug 2002, 06:57
Can anyone beat this?
Started flying in 1987 and gained my PPL in 1988. Since then I have logged, and paid for, 5,980 hours of purely for fun flying.
Since 1989 I have had my own single, fixed wing, and added PPL(H) in 1996.
Currently I have a Piper Saratoga 2TC in which I flew to Sydney and back in 2001.
I've been a lucky chap!

skygazer
20th Aug 2002, 10:31
Makes my 5.5 hours look a bit tame!!! Mind you, I only started this year. I'm breaking the Visa card in gently.

PPPPP
20th Aug 2002, 16:25
If I can carry on spending at the present rate I should get 30 hours in this year:)

EI_Sparks
20th Aug 2002, 17:57
Hmmm. I was kindof hoping to get an idea for the difference in hours per year for people who only hire and people who own their own airfcraft :(
I also didn't anticipate the level of jealousy that reading this is giving me :)

Vortex what...ouch!
22nd Aug 2002, 13:21
Don’t have my logbook with me but I have about 200TT. Type rated on the R22 (which I started on) Jetranger (which is almost better than sex and much more expensive) :) and the R44, which is cheaper than the Jetranger but better than a 22.

After getting my licence I did the other type ratings. Then did some mountain flying. Next was a trip to the West Coast of Ireland then up over Wales and Snowdonia. After that was some flying up and down the country visiting friends and a lot of confined area landings at previously unknown sites. Then another trip to Ireland with 4 other helicopters. Earlier this year 4 aircraft flew to the French Alps around Mont Blanc for some skiing and the most spectacular flying I have ever done. More recently took my girlfriend to the peak district and flew around there most of the weekend.

Next planned trip is to the Netherlands.

I have tried to do more than just visit another airfield for coffee and a sandwich every other weekend. Experience wise it has been fantastic. I have no qualms about transiting London or crossing international FIRs and such like. Flying has become a real joy as my ability and confidence has grown. Still a very long way to go though.

Paid for it all myself. About 55-60 hours turbine (ouch) and the rest evenly split between R22 and 44. Shocking when you add the cost of that lot up not to mention associated cost :(

bjs
22nd Aug 2002, 14:00
I got the license in 1998 and total time is around 130 hours, not as much as I would like but I have to pay the mortgage too you know :)

stiknruda
23rd Dec 2003, 16:30
So far just 86hrs this year BUT really want to fly on Chrtistmas Day, Boxing Day and over the w/e. Wx permitting, I should log another 2.5 hrs which will take me over the 800TT mark.

All of this year's flying is in Pitts Specials save for 10 hrs in my Pushpak. I really do not fly the Pushpak frequently enough to warrant retaining her but I am loathe to let her go as she is a dear old thing and many others derive great pleasure from her.

Sixty hrs in the Pitts that I built and a further 16 in other people's Pitts'. All paid for by me but there is a glimmer of hope re sponsorship for next year thanks to a Ppruner!

Safe flying for the remainder of this year and all of next.

Stik

S-Works
23rd Dec 2003, 17:37
370hrs flown this year with 57 new airfields visited UK and overseas. 53hrs multi engine time and 61hrs Instrument time.

505hrs in the last 18 months. 21hrs this month. Additionally 80hrs ML flying in last 2 years but only about 6 this year.

I own a Cessna but also fly lots of different aircraft from singles to complex multis and Rotary.

Still doesn't stop me from making the occassional accidental "cut-up" in the overhead!!!!

IO540
23rd Dec 2003, 18:13
That's pretty good time, bose-x & john varndell. I was going to make a point of visiting a new airfield every week but it didn't happen... I've found flying to really far away places is far more interesting than simply going to one grass strip after another, nearly wrecking the landing gear in some of them. I still managed to clock up 150 hrs in 2003 and getting as far as S. Spain.

But this poll is going to be limited to the very tiny pilot community which reads this forum. There are a lot of PPLs who do under 10 hrs/year, before they pack it in for good, but most of them won't be hanging around here.

S-Works
23rd Dec 2003, 18:44
More than half my airfields were long distance foriegn trips. Did a lot with our club who ran lots of interesting trips.

It is a shame so many pack it in before they discover the joys of touring. My first touring trip was a club one that did Caan, Guernsey and Jersey over a few days, after that I was hooked! I owe my touring bug to them big time!

I hate the idea of flying the same hour a hundred times, I would much rather do a hundred different hours!

I have spain earmarked for next year and further into Germany. I also spent a load of hours flying around Florida and will be doing that next year along with a trip to the Caymans from North Perry in a DA40.

Kingy
23rd Dec 2003, 19:05
Well it's going to be 90ish hours this year - not too bad but who's counting anyway...? Looking through I've done something like 400 landings in that time - over 380 of them into small grass strips and all of them in my own tailwheel aircraft. So, I'm quite pleased really and have never felt 'un current' throughout the whole year, which must be a good thing.

Here's to another years safe and fun flying.

Kingy (not dwelling on the huge cost of multiple aircraft ownership:D )

drauk
23rd Dec 2003, 19:34
All us people who do a hundred hours a year seem a bit dull in comparison to bose-x.

Let's see. 505 hours in 18 months is 28 hours a month. But I reckon one probably spends at least 1 hour of non-flying time for every hour of flying time, or 2 if you have a decent drive to your airport. So let's call it 20 hours a week dedciated to flying.

An owned Cessna probably costs 80 quid an hour, plus an amortized 20 quid an hour to buy. 53 hours multi is about 10,000. 20 hours rotary is 4,000. Remaining Cessna time is 43,000. Landing fees 750. Your oft-mentioned Garmin 196, 800 quid. Medical, 100. Other things that I've forgotten about, a few more quid.

So, you spend getting on for a thousand pounds every single week and dedicate 20 hours of that week to doing it.

Good on ya'! You must love flying.

A_Pommie
23rd Dec 2003, 20:27
I looked in my log book the other day and found I've only flown 12 hours since march. At first I thought this was pretty poor as I have a share in a plane. On reflection though, the plane was off line for 3 months due to its star annual. I took a couple of months off due to a minor operation. So twleve hours in 4 months isn't as bad as I thought.

The reason March is important, my bi anniel is due then and I've just been grounded indefinately by the CAA:( . At least with the hours flown all I need is a check ride and I've got another 2 years to sort the problem out before my license is invalid.

IO540
23rd Dec 2003, 23:07
drauk

With ownership, there is a case for saying the purchase cost of the plane is the cost of a hobby. Because if you looked at amortisation of everything you buy you would never buy anything, except possibly a house. I don't have a swimming pool but if eg you took the cost of putting one in and divided that by the # of yours you will use it, you'd never do it.

Having done that, the direct operating cost isn't that much. I fly a newish SEP retractable, fully airways and full of goodies, which cost 200k. The cost of fuel, engine fund, prop fund, 50hr 150hr annual and star annual checks adds up to less that hiring anything whatsoever from a local school.

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Dec 2003, 23:36
Did a lot with our club who ran lots of interesting trips.

Bose-X,

Which club is that?

Would not mind joining something which is organising so much good trips.

FD

Grainger
24th Dec 2003, 00:17
Not nearly enough :{

But every single hour is far better than staying on the ground.. :ok:

S-Works
24th Dec 2003, 00:47
DRAUK,

Interesting math and not actually correct but a good try and yes the amount of money spent on flying is pretty high.

I dont have a decent drive to the airport and don't recall saying anything about 20 hours of rotary flying either! My Cessna costs me around £30 an hour on aggregate to run.

My hobby is flying and my holidays are flying and not having a 9-5 job gives me plenty of time. But at the end of the day it is not any of your business what I spend!

If you are calling me a liar do as you choose but there are several members of this forum who fly with me who can verify the hours flown! You know nothing of my personal circumstances or lifestyle!

Dutch I will ask the club if they mind there name being mentioned, but they have run some fantistic trips this year. The owners come on the trips and the spirit is fantastic. As members of the club we also put our own trips together. This year has seen Caan, Guernsey, Jersey, Calais, Ostend (x2), Edinburgh to name but a few!

drauk
24th Dec 2003, 01:05
bose-x, hey, come on, don't be defensive, it's Christmas. I've no reason to doubt you. I was just putting an estimate on the cost and time of all that flying - it sounds great if you enjoy it. Of course it isn't my business what you spend - I was just making an observation on what you'd posted. Like I said, good on you.

20 hours of rotary was just a guess, as of course were nearly all the other figures. Being close to the airport cuts the time spent, but not the cash (except for petrol to drive there, which I'd not counted anyway)!

£30/hour to run your plane sounds pretty good. Obviously if the plane is doing hundreds of hours a year the cost comes right down. What model is it?

IO540, true, I don't amortize the cost of my ownership either. But in this (tongue-in-cheek) analysis, the 20 quid I had allocated to this was a small part of the overall total, so it didn't make much difference. Evidently I over-estimated the cost of running bose-x's particular plane though and that makes a bigger difference.

Cutoff
24th Dec 2003, 01:10
I have done 103 this year, IMC, multi and cross countries account for the bulk as well as taking a Rallye 880 to 8000 ft, that took some hours I can tell you, took ages to get the thing back down!

I can also verify Bose-x's hours, he likes to taunt me I do have a normal job so cannot commit the time to flying that I would like.

Tiger_ Moth
24th Dec 2003, 01:22
Last year I probably did over 30 hours and got my PPL.
This year I hope to do about 20 hours if I have enough money. I can't wait for the summer, I really can't! It's going to be full of such fun things like aerobatics, turbulents, flying around clouds, going to 10,000 feet for the fun of it etc.!

S-Works
24th Dec 2003, 01:34
Cessna 152, uses 20litres of fuel an hour according to my fuel scan 450 computer (yet more frivolous expenditure). The more you fly an airplane the cheaper it becomes per hour. Around 50 hours is the break even point for me as opposed to renting.

The cost of buying the plane is never included in the hourly costs. I own it outright and its unlikely to suffer any devaluation, in fact it is now worth more than I paid for it as I have rectified all of the faults so I would at least get my money back on sale.

You should see the bills for the IFR FM Immune avionics, new floor, seats, fuel gauages and god knows what else. Not forgetting of course very nice Bose Headsets!!!!

At the end of the day owning an airplane sets you free and is worth every penny. I rarely get weathered off, if the weather is bad in the morning I wait until the afternoon unlike rentals where you lose your slot.

Another great hour builder for me has been that I have 1000m of tarmac 300m from my front door and fly in the summer up to our site which is about 10 minutes walk from Hawarden! An hour each way 2/3 times a week!

I fly whenever I can, yesterday I flew 1:50 taking a friend up to the wash to look at the snow landing back after dark in perfect conditions. On Sunday I flew to Cambridge and did an ILS 2:30mins round trip.

Last week I started a Tiger Moth conversion in the morning and flew my plane in the afternoon.

Trust me it is very easy to fly a lot with your own plane and of course no work ethic!

Lowtimer
24th Dec 2003, 14:01
For some reason the poll thinks I've voted, actually I haven't. I've done 145 hours in the last three years. Would have been more this year if not for us having to do an engine change on my aeroplane of choice, and some more recent serviceability issues which have kept the old dear out of the air for the last couple of months. Next year I expect to be doing about 50 to 60 hours including an IMC course, an a bit more touring as I now have access to an aeroplane which combines a decent cruising speed with generous endurance. It would be nice to crack the 200 hour total.

Floppy Link
24th Dec 2003, 19:38
:}

PPL in 1982, but it took until last year to pluck up the courage to buy my own...

http://www.espotlight.co.uk/gbtbi/listlogo.jpg

Last year 25hrs purely for fun, plus as WWW says about 899.9 to pay for it all

AfricanEagle
25th Dec 2003, 06:12
Started flying in 1980, very few hours each year at the beginning, about 30 these last 3-4 years, over 70 this year, but is exceptional (flew to Odessa, Ukraine).

Hopefully I'll pass the 500 mark in spring 2004.

Ciao,
AE

Zlin526
27th Dec 2003, 23:33
Always 100hrs+ per annum.

Rote 8
29th Dec 2003, 17:42
Just summarised my annual hours since I first started flying back in the summer of 98.

1998 – 13h 55m
1999 – 14h 00m
2000 – 23h 05m
2001 – 34h 30m
2002 – 34h 35m (plus approx 20 hrs in gliders)
2003 – 105h 07m

I am pleased to see that each year the total is greater than the previous and very much hope that things will continue in this vein.

Charlie Zulu
31st Dec 2003, 18:10
To date I've flown 510 hours total in nearly six years.

This year has seen around 120 hours added to my logbook.

Around 50 of these were gained in the Beagle Pup with the rest flown as part of the FAA CPL/IR course I took in Florida this summer.

2004 will probably see quite a few more as I'm looking to do an FAA ME Add-On and an FAA CFI & CFII course(s).

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Charlie Zulu.

B2N2
2nd Jan 2004, 01:43
1990-1995 75 hrs
1995-1996 120hrs
1995-2000 0 hrs
2000-2003 3200hrs
dec-2002-dec-2003 1248hrs, 99% SE instruction.
:ok: :ok: :ok: