PDA

View Full Version : Belfast City Airport-3

Pages : [1] 2 3

allan1987
24th Dec 2020, 19:55
From 1 Jan 2021 - 28 Mar 2021 Aer Lingus will operating BA flights by wetlease on BHD - LHR - BHD
Planes allocated to this will be EI-DVK, EI-DVL, EI-DVN

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Airlines/Licensing/Foreign-carrier-permits/Article-250-permits-issued/

The96er
24th Dec 2020, 20:08
Any particular reason for this ?

Alteagod
24th Dec 2020, 20:08
That's interesting. So EI airframe but BA product on board

SWBKCB
24th Dec 2020, 21:13
EU airlines can't op domestic flights in the UK?

sprite1
24th Dec 2020, 21:39
From the CAA link;

EEA carriers are also additionally able to undertake services within the United Kingdom (cabotage flights) without a Permit.

SWBKCB
24th Dec 2020, 22:34
Until when?

Alteagod
25th Dec 2020, 03:43
Probably a way to get around things until the airline gets them on G reg as part of the MAN set up. BA did it b4 with Qatar Airways aircraft. I think as long its a BA flight number I guess any airline could operate the actual flying in the sky bit. Will save BA a clean fortune in hotac for all the crew.

Alteagod
25th Dec 2020, 03:43
And I read Eastern have canned the CWL until March

ECR
25th Dec 2020, 11:35
allan1987

Hopefully this is just a workaround to enable Aer Lingus to continue with their own schedule of BHD-LHR flights post Brexit rather than Aer Lingus taking over the operation of the BA flights on the route. I guess we will find out very soon.

allan1987
25th Dec 2020, 18:09
im guessing it only 3 month temp for aer lingus to wetlese planes to BA for BHD-LHR flights,
i guess this until BA have right paper work in place.
Will Aer Lingus need at least 2 A320's on the uk register for flights from BHD?
it is known that Stobart Air is setting up Stobart Air UK for flights from BHD at moment only known 2 ATR 72-600 planes will be on uk register, though not sure if all 5 Planes for BHD will need to be

brian_dromey
26th Dec 2020, 10:09
Traditionally I think they could get away with a single aircraft on the U.K. register and wet-lease the rest. The CAA have been giving Ryanair a hard time about the single aircraft in the U.K. register and leasing the rest from other group airlines. It remains to be seen what they can do about it. EI don’t seem to have plans to add A320s to the U.K. register. But who knows.

SWBKCB
26th Dec 2020, 10:47
I'd be surprised if they get away with less than 50% on the UK register to operate under a UK licence. RYR are adding additional UK registered a/c. CAA can stop themflying if they don't - they need CAA permission to op non-UK registered a/c on their UK AOC.

onion
26th Dec 2020, 13:32
It all maybe irrelevant now as part of the trade deal included aviation. It maybe that a status quo is in place for a while.

Alteagod
26th Dec 2020, 14:15
The Stobarts need to be G reg by 01Jan. The whole thing seems all very smoke and mirrors re EI and now the BA wet lease, not to mention BA lounge gone. How long are BA even going to keep the route.

Cazza_fly
26th Dec 2020, 14:22
onion

I believe you're correct.

SWBKCB
26th Dec 2020, 14:49
What are you basing that on?

SealinkBF
26th Dec 2020, 18:29
And I read Eastern have canned the CWL until March

Looks like 12th March 2021 before a restart...

Alteagod
31st Dec 2020, 14:32
Eastern website reporting Heathrow suspended till 31st Jan, but Belfast City 'terminated' from 11th January as per thread on Teesside page.

PPRuNeUser0176
31st Dec 2020, 17:23
allan1987

If MAN T/A wasn't proposed then would they have applied for UK AOC application? Why leave it so late to apply if one was required for BHD-LHR, applying weeks before its needed. Transferring an A320 wouldn't be a major issue however it does make things complicated operationally for them.

Worth noting they didn't apply for wet leases or UK AOC when the UK departure looked imminent before been extended at the last minute previously.

Poor management might be one reason, something common in EI.

allan1987
31st Dec 2020, 17:43
Aer Lingus woudnt need an UK AOC application with 2 or 3 A320's on it as you said only doing this for MAN T/A

I guess this is why Stobart Air has applied for UK AOC application only becuse of UK flights, Especially if Stobart Group is looking to have Stobart Air sold by February, not sure who the new owners is, its not Cityjet or Emerald Airlines

Albert Hall
31st Dec 2020, 19:40
Allan, this doesn’t make any sense. Stobart wouldn’t need a UK AOC for Aer Lingus transatlantic operations. Aer Lingus has applied for one and that’s all that’s needed.

What Stobart does need a UK licence for is to continue operating ex BHD to the likes of Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and others. They haven’t got one yet but apparently have got some contingency plan ready.

The96er
31st Dec 2020, 19:48
From 1st Jan, the Stobart operated EI flight from BHD will be operated on behalf of British Airways. Seems just a paperwork exercise as the flights will still be ‘EI’ numbers and using EI systems and procedures.

Alteagod
31st Dec 2020, 20:08
Is that why all the Stobarts in BHD that are operating are the white airframes?

Shamrock350
1st Jan 2021, 13:55
So far operating today is one white and one green. Yesterday it looked like it was one white and two green.

Alteagod
12th Jan 2021, 09:58
IOM flights and times now on Loganair website for sale. Looks like an early afternoon dep from BHD.

GAZMO
5th Feb 2021, 13:07
From this mornings BT Belfast City Airport chief quitting role - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-city-airport-chief-quitting-role-40054565.html)

Fly757X
5th Feb 2021, 13:22
Best wishes to him! In what could've been an abysmal year the airport have built back a really strong domestic network, the likes of which haven't been seen for well over a decade I'd say. In the process enhancing the airline portfolio to remove a great deal of reliance on one sole carrier for almost all services. Whilst capacity may never return to the dizzy heights once offered, it's certainly a more balanced offering which is something the domestic market in the UK really needed for a long time I feel.

Alteagod
6th Feb 2021, 04:36
Agree 100%. Much better spread across the various carriers

Alteagod
21st Feb 2021, 21:12
Any news of who is buying Stobart next month? Was the sale not to have been done by end of Feb.

JobsaGoodun
23rd Feb 2021, 08:26
Irish Independant are today reporting Ian Woodley, ex Business Air, Bmi Regional & Sector Aviation Holdings is involved.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/former-bmi-owner-in-talks-to-acquire-stobart-air-40121228.html

Alteagod
23rd Feb 2021, 10:49
Interesting development indeed 👍

Fly757X
4th Mar 2021, 09:42
Massive win for them there, some going daily from July too.

This day last year was the day that the final Flybe service arrived in Belfast City. The progress over the last year has been beyond remarkable and fantastic for them down in the harbour. A true sign that grit and determination gets you places.

shoe shine
4th Mar 2021, 10:27
Well done to the team at City. I hear that AL will shortly announce a new LGW service and that FR will add three domestic routes in the coming weeks to start before the Winter. Can't think of any other airport that has had such a positive story in quite some time.

GAZMO
4th Mar 2021, 12:20
From ni travel news

Ryanair Returns to Belfast City Airport and Launches 8 News Routes for Summer 2021 | Northern Ireland Travel News (nitravelnews.com) (https://nitravelnews.com/news/ryanair-returns-to-belfast-city-airport-and-launches-8-news-routes-for-summer-2021/)

Fly757X
4th Mar 2021, 12:41
Moo Driver

Neither BHD/BFS are bases (or will be) anyways.

Alteagod
4th Mar 2021, 15:19
I wonder what kind of financial package if any they got from BCA. Bizarre that they seem to be keeping both BFS flights but doubt you could do TFS etc from BHD.

brian_dromey
4th Mar 2021, 17:12
It is a bit odd that FR have chosen to launch these flights from BHD's relatively restricted runway instead of their existing airport station at BFS. I guess BHD offered too good a deal. You'd have thought Aer Lingus might have operated these flights, but looks like they weren't interested or FR got in there first.
Ryanair might be able to reduce confusion between BHD and BFS by operating Buzz and Malta Air into BFS (for example) and Ryanair/Ryanair UK into the other? Im sure some people will end up at the wrong airport.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Mar 2021, 19:29
They play GLA off against PIK too whilst operating out of both.

Cozy F
4th Mar 2021, 20:38
Looks quite a coup for Belfast City to get Ryanair back in, but the set-up of operating BHD and keeping flts in BFS looks a bit cumbersome from the airlines point of view, particularly flying the same routes from both airports which - if the flights to Spain etc actually get to take off this summer - will cause massive customer confusion. Has to be a couple of the usual reasons for Ryanair doing this, likely sending a message of their derision to the Irish Gov for their handling of travel in COVID by moving activity off their patch and almost certainly a money issue with airport charges. And it must be a Big one coz they’ll likely lose at least thirty seats on their 737s to these destinations off BHD’s Rwy as a standard before weather, extra holiday bags and the like get factored in. So maybe the reason there sticking in at BFS is for fear that the whole experiment goes completely Pete tong at BHD.

Alteagod
5th Mar 2021, 09:30
I guess 30 empty seats is better than an empty plane sitting doing nothing.

SKOJB
5th Mar 2021, 10:01
Assume the SFP 738 will be used?

PinOnTheRight
5th Mar 2021, 10:10
Possibly not, as it looks like all the routes will be operated from other bases rather than a BHD based aircraft, so you'd need a SFP based at ALC/AGP/PMI/FAO...

Fly757X
5th Mar 2021, 11:23
Precisely. As they’re all bases using the Irish Registered frames it’ll be highly unlikely that BHD will get them as they’re are only 15 frames left on that AOC. Most are with Malta Air which will operate BGY.

FRatSTN
5th Mar 2021, 11:31
Something must've changed on that front regarding SFP airframes. All the Southend routes have historically been solely with SFP based aircraft for that reason. For Summer 21 however there's a mix of based and non-based sectors there meaning it may no longer be exclusively SFPs anymore.

PinOnTheRight
5th Mar 2021, 12:44
Fly757X

Do you mean there are only 15 EI-registered frames left in the fleet, or 15 EI registered frames unaccounted for, base wise? I thought there were still well over 200 on the EI register.

Fly757X
5th Mar 2021, 13:03
Sorry for maybe being a little unclear there. At present there are only 15-16 Irish frames which are SFP equipped. But yeah you’re quite right there is well over 200 still however most arrived before FR began receiving their SFP frames. :ok: My mistake!

PinOnTheRight
5th Mar 2021, 13:09
Thanks, that makes sense to me now! I suspect they’ve done some numbers and for the majority of the time, AGP off 22/04 is fine. Of course, when the stars align and get you a hot, still day with 189 adults and 60 sets of golf clubs on the way to FAO, who knows what’ll happen.

PPRuNeUser0176
5th Mar 2021, 21:54
Quiet a big win for BHD to get FR back.

Surly they won't stay at BFS if they have a good summer (operationally) from BHD.

Alteagod
6th Mar 2021, 11:27
Hard one to call. Depends very much as you say on how it works out for them. I just hope the travelling public actually travel this summer. In all honesty I would have thought a safer bet would have been domestic type NQY,JER,GCI, maybe even ORK,KIR as destinations for Summer 21 not by FR but as possibles by other carriers. But good luck to them on a very extensive timetable

EI-BUD
6th Mar 2021, 18:35
KIR and ORK is an interesting idea and one that could be tested in the current climate, also a quick ring trip. However, no base at either end puts paid to that idea. Stobart would be a better operator for that, unlikely though.

Seljuk22
8th Mar 2021, 17:01
GAZMO

Belfast becomes a FR base or just incoming flights from other bases?

Fly757X
8th Mar 2021, 17:02
Nope not a base, it's just flights coming in from other bases as you've mentioned.

Alteagod
8th Mar 2021, 18:31
No commitment required by FR our outlay. Canny move but I hope we get even a limited W21/22 operation from them. I believe other carriers still sniffing around BHD for potential routes.

Sharklet7
10th Mar 2021, 11:02
Have you heard or have any idea what airlines are interested?

Alteagod
10th Mar 2021, 12:54
Eurowings has been mentioned and LGW rumours persist. FR may have pipped Eurowings to the post unless they looking at German routes

EI-BUD
10th Mar 2021, 13:48
If there are other airlines in the frame for mainland Europe I'd guess Volotea (Northern Italy or France) , Eurowings (New BER base), Transavia (Orly) and Wizz (Luton). Beyond that I'd say few other hot options at this moment. I'd completely discount any Ryanair domestically this year, but who knows.

Alteagod
10th Mar 2021, 13:58
I would tend to agree 100% but in all honesty I think we are just about at what's going to happen unless a couple of domestic crumbs appear.

allan1987
15th Mar 2021, 23:00
Alteagod

Rumour I heard is T3/GR lgw to bhd using e190/e195

Not sure if airlines can still apply for 3 pair daily lgw-bhd slots?

Moo Driver
16th Mar 2021, 06:51
I thought the 190 was too expensive for LGW as they charged the same as a 737 or A320 ?

Alteagod
16th Mar 2021, 07:48
There has been fierce rumours of a LGW route for long time but have become more intense in recent weeks. The money was on it being EI but T3/GR, why not.

El Bunto
16th Mar 2021, 12:18
allan1987

I can't imagine any airport being confident in Eastern running a trunk route. You'd just about get the ink dry on the advertising and they'd pull out.

As noted above, A320-size makes more sense on that route due to Gatwick's charges. Would seem more strategic to convince Lingus back onto the route.

Dorking
16th Mar 2021, 14:01
Can`t help but wonder how long it will be before they pull off the announced Gibraltar routes

Alteagod
16th Mar 2021, 14:20
If the flight is not an early departure from BHD probably no point operating it. Stobart had been awarded slots for LGW but it was late afternoon so they didn't pursue it. Maybe T3 might get one of there own for morning and get a deal for the Stobart slot.

Moo Driver
17th Mar 2021, 09:41
Or you could get our MLAs to lobby for slots to connect the regions............oh that's right that would be stopped by their bosses. They like flying in to LHR and first class treatment.

DUB19
26th Mar 2021, 17:30
BA appear to be operating an A321neo on the LHR-BHD flight tomorrow morning.

11:20 arrival
12:10 departure

Alteagod
26th Mar 2021, 18:16
I believe the inbound sector is bunged. Probably people getting home to Ireland before the compulsory hotac in Dublin from Monday.

allan1987
26th Mar 2021, 21:58
Is this for Stobart Air BHD - LGW? can this be done on an ATR72-600 or will need to be on e190?

Alteagod
27th Mar 2021, 06:50
No reason why not on ATR. Probably best a/c to use until market picks up.

LGW has been on cards almost since EI pulled out.

Did Stobart not plan 5 airframes in BHD for full programme so they must have other routes up the sleeve

Fly757X
27th Mar 2021, 07:42
Once their current offering gets back to “normal” whatever that will be it’ll need 5 frames as is. A sixth one will need to be sourced for LGW if it comes to the fore.

SWBKCB
27th Mar 2021, 07:51
127,988 divided by 1,306 = 98 so could be either, though ATR more likely.

Alteagod
27th Mar 2021, 16:03
Actually re my previous I now understand 7 airframes had been earmarked for BHD for S21 so that would indeed make LGW possible as well as at least 1 or 2 more destinations. But like all things is covid dependent and what the new owners of Stobart have planned when they get there hands on them.

EI-BUD
27th Mar 2021, 23:14
I believe the inbound sector is bunged. Probably people getting home to Ireland before the compulsory hotac in Dublin from Monday.
Compulsory hotac started Friday, yesterday, so that theory doesn't stack up. I'd be surprised if the flight was bunged. The other was to look at this is, if compulsory hotac is required in DUB it is possible more would look to use BHD to avoid it, but a negative pcr test within the lady 72 hours means you avoid the hotel stay, I can't see this issue driving numbers at the moment. Maybe in summer yes.

Separately, comments about LGW, totally see ATR as the wrong aircraft. Too slow given the competition is all jet, and too hotly contested by easyJet ex BFS. Would seem illogical to go into a market that may take from Aer Lingus' own London route into LHR. Surely there are other routes more attractive ex BHD where they could contest and have more success, CWL, BRS, LPL, some of these closer in terms of timings. JER would also seem a good bi weekly opportunity.

allan1987
27th Mar 2021, 23:33
Alteagod

I cant see ATR 72-600 being used to LGW.

Found this here

https://www.pressreader.com/search?query=%20Isle%20of%20Man%20startup%20Ettyl%20is%20lat est%20to%20circle%20Stobart%20Air&languages=en&groupBy=Language&hideSimilar=0&type=1&state=1
I found this press reader

It’s believed that if Ettyl is successful in its bid to buy Stobart Air that it plans to use about three aircraft from the carrier’s fleet to operate domestic routes within Britain from the summer in order to generate additional cashflow.

This would make sense if 7 airframes have been earmarked for BHD

As it seems for EIR S21 12 ATR's is needed

5 ATR 72-600 BHD
4 ATR 72-600 DUB
1 ATR 72-600 ORK
1 ATR 72-600 KIR
1 ATR 42-600 CFN

So that would leave 1 ATR 72-600 spare for the new owners but would still need another 2 planes. So not sure if the new owners would be planning to bring back the 2 Embraer E190's.

That would make 1 ATR 72-600 and 1 Embraer E190 based in BHD for the new owner

So, a total of 7 Planes based in BHD.
and somewhere else the 3rd plane would be based

EI-BUD
27th Mar 2021, 23:46
Allan1987
I understood the 2 Embraer have not flown since Sept and that they were being returned to the lessor in the near future.

I had meant to add in my previous post, if any airline was to be interested in LGW route it would be Wizz Air?

allan1987
27th Mar 2021, 23:56
While im not sure about Wizz Air being interested, both Embraer''s where flown to BZG in January for storage. Think this was return to lessor.

EGAC is Better
28th Mar 2021, 07:45
I'd be surprised if the flight was bunged.

Whatever the reason, it was almost full - 21 in Club and 166 in Euro Traveller

EGAC is Better
28th Mar 2021, 08:29
Fly757X

There might also be a tranche of B737 MAX by July which should be capable of full passenger load out of BHD? Ryanair quoted (albeit in January) that they hoped to have 24 by summer and they would be deployed on ‘UK routes’.

A Ryanair training captain who is very active on social media recently posted a picture of himself in the MAX simulator. Might be complete coincidence but he is based in Girona so maybe the Spanish bases will be the first to get the MAX for summer?

Fly757X
28th Mar 2021, 09:47
Could be but in all honesty it’s the same situation as the SFP frames. I highly doubt they’ll be earmarked for the bases that will be operating to BHD. There was also a few articles recently stating they will be UK based initially and I’ve seen other folk from DUB/STN/MAN in the simulators for it too.

Alteagod
1st Apr 2021, 06:39
I see T3 restart SOU today. Hopefully greenshoots of recovery for BHD

allan1987
12th Apr 2021, 21:05
I see that Easten Airways ATR 72-600 flew HUY-BHD as EZE961 today and is Parked there
are we expecting an announcement tomorrow?

BAladdy
13th Apr 2021, 08:30
Doesn't look like it. The aircraft departed this morning a T39615 to NCL

Alteagod
13th Apr 2021, 08:42
Announcement about what?:)

allan1987
13th Apr 2021, 09:22
BAladdy

Must been private chapter

DUB19
20th Apr 2021, 15:24
Aer Lingus appear to be staring BHD-NQY in late June. Flights not on sale but are showing up as a destination

Alteagod
20th Apr 2021, 15:37
I believe NQY and a couple of other routes have been mentioned alright.

Sharklet7
23rd Apr 2021, 06:00
Any idea what other routes could be on the table? And are these likely to be Aer Lingus Regional flights or another carrier?

Alteagod
23rd Apr 2021, 09:46
I believe Stobart looking at a couple of options. I must admit I would have thought we verymuch at about it with destinations

Sharklet7
23rd Apr 2021, 10:33
Would be great news if Stobart announced more routes. As you have said it's hard to know where else they may operate that isnt already covered.

Potentially, a route to the London area, Gatwick has been mentioned previously but maybe Southend. I wonder if they would potentially operate to Jersey.

Given the new ownership we may see routes to Isle of Man and to Carlise being operated by Stobart.

Jamesair1
23rd Apr 2021, 15:18
NCL has had several attempts with a link to BHD...maybe time for another go.

allan1987
23rd Apr 2021, 17:15
If wanting to start other Routes from BHD Ettyl/Stobart

Could run as Eyttl or a franchise for another airline for routes for CAX, NCL and LGW.

ATR Would be to big for CAX unless able to use JS41 for this.

ATR72 used to NCL.

For LGW would need to be a Jet so would need to use E170/E190 on this

Sharklet7
23rd Apr 2021, 18:22
Unfortunately, Stobart no longer have their jets. Fleet solely the ATR.

It will be interesting to see if Stobart continue to operate on behalf of other airlines or indeed if they start to sell their own tickets etc.

The route from Belfast to Cork still remains on the table if rumours can be believed.

With the current state of affairs and coverage of routes by a number of airlines is there any scope for Flybe to make a comeback to BHD??

Una Due Tfc
23rd Apr 2021, 19:07
A number of formerly DUB based crew being brought back from furlough to work the BHD operation so they're obviously planning a ramp up.

Flightrider
23rd Apr 2021, 20:15
Wasn’t there some commitment to locally based ex Flybe crew in BHD as part of the support for the base? How does that fit with drafting furloughed DUB crews to cover...

Alteagod
24th Apr 2021, 10:20
They already have them. They are furloughed as well. I think they just swopping around staff to give them all some flying hours.

Sharklet7
24th Apr 2021, 19:18
Are you sure that Stobart took on any Flybe guys? I was under the impression Stobart didnt take any onboard. Issues with the licences of Flybe guys and well the slump in demand the reasons why.

Alteagod
24th Apr 2021, 21:06
100% certain they took on ex BHD cabin crew.

EI-BUD
25th Apr 2021, 09:58
I'm mindful that the Eastern brand isn't well known in Belfast. Searching for flights to Southampton you either check Eastern Airways website or online travel agents who seem to have their highest classes of inventory at very high prices example stg 254 one way for the near dates that I checked, also looking at September the same well known online travel agent shows no availability. In my opinion I don't see Eastern as bring the brand to drive this route forward, its needs a well known brand like Aer Lingus Regional or Loganair etc.

allan1987
25th Apr 2021, 10:25
​​​​​Flights SOU-BHD go X2 Monday to Friday from 8th September not much difference in prices when you add a bag with other airlines as in Aer Lingus, Loganair

EI-BUD
25th Apr 2021, 12:44
OK Allan, fair point, my intension wasnt so much about price really, I was meaning to focus on brand recognition and the general public, I'm not convinced this is the airline to optimise the opportunities that will exist on this route.

allan1987
25th Apr 2021, 13:48
I see where you coming from though, general public here wouldn't know Eastern well as Flybe or Aer Lingus more since only 2 routes SOU and CWL and at time MME. I guess if ran few more routes say LGW and NCL possibly CAX might help even if include a codeshare.

Fly757X
25th Apr 2021, 14:11
I think we need to taper our expectations in regards to any further major announcements this side of the summer. At the end of the day the airport is in a really enviable position. Who could’ve visioned that this time last year? Don’t get me wrong we can all be wishful however right now I wouldn’t be expecting anything drastically above what is present now.

On SOU I certainly feel the same. Certainly not really Eastern’s fault given we were never a target market for them. After all we are one of the westernmost regions in the UK/ROI, a long way from core markets of years gone by. It is next to impossible to judge success for us however now. It’s going to take these published schedules to actually come into action and be given time to mature. I’ll hope for the best however!

ECR
25th Apr 2021, 14:44
EI-BUD

Personally I agree that a higher profile brand would generate extra traffic for Eastern, particularly if they were to operate as a British Airways or Aer Lingus Regional franchisee. Unfortunately British Airways don't seem too interested in franchising these days (although they do still have a couple in Sun Air and Comair), and I suppose the current Aer Lingus Regional franchise with Stobart might block that as an option. I guess Loganair would be a candidate, but is it really that much bigger and higher profile to be worth a franchise fee.

I notice that Loganair flights from Southampton To Edinburgh and Newcastle are available for sale on British Airways website and app under a BA codeshare (without need for a connecting flight). Maybe Eastern could agree a similar codeshare deal with BA to increase their profile.

The Nutts Mutts
25th Apr 2021, 14:57
I have the same opinion as you all but from the SOU end. I'm grateful to Eastern for stepping in when Flybe collapsed but they're just not as well known as some other carriers and so may not attract as many passengers. I guess the only consolation is that if they ever pull off the route or go out of business themselves (not that I wish to see that happen) one of the carriers already mentioned would undoubtedly take the route on.

adfly
25th Apr 2021, 15:31
I think this one needs time. Eastern have a reasonable network from SOU planned for this summer, which will probably open them up to a number of customers (NI, ROI, regional France, Gibraltar) who've never used them before and hopefully get the name out there a little more. They have a reasonable product with two modern ATR's operating most flights so may be able to make a bit of a name for themselves at the SOU end at least. I believe they had taken on a few ex Flybe CC so there may be an element of word of mouth there.

Hopefully it is still going ahead but they also announced a codeshare with Aurigny late last year, which would theoretically allow easy connections to Guernsey and Alderney from Belfast and others or vice versa if timings get aligned.

BFS101
26th Apr 2021, 09:39
Vueling announced BCN twice per week from 2 July, Mon and Fri

Alteagod
27th Apr 2021, 11:20
Has anyone told the airport? They knew nothing about it apperantly

mart901
5th May 2021, 08:58
https://nitravelnews.com/news/aer-lingus-regional-to-serve-cardiff-from-belfast-city-airport/

DUB19
5th May 2021, 18:24
Good to see EIR expanding at BHD.

Any news on a LGW service?

JobsaGoodun
6th May 2021, 09:26
Commercial suicide in my view if they go anywhere near LGW with ATR's.

Alteagod
6th May 2021, 10:27
I didn't know they had decided to do LGW from BHD. Are they not prevented under the terms of the BMI sale,?

allan1987
6th May 2021, 17:45
Stobart Air did applied for BHD-LGW slots and got these but just can't as sold as EI or BA flights , but could fly as Ettyl or for another Airline
and as to be a jet though they dont have any.

Also seen that Eastern Airways is adding new routes at airports / hubs they already serve so could use their E170 or E190 to LGW

https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/eastern-airways-kick-starts-summer-with-leeds-bradford-newquay-service-resumption

The96er
6th May 2021, 17:57
What would be the reason that they could not operate under the EI brand ? That's something I have not heard of. There is also no block on using props either, just that the pricing regime would favour the use of larger aircraft and I'm sure that in these lean times, deals with airports can be made.

Alteagod
6th May 2021, 18:37
Never heard of that. Why can't they use them?

jmdavies86
6th May 2021, 19:34
allan1987

I believe Eastern's E190 will be operating their recently announced SOU-GIB-BHX-GIB-SOU flights.

Considering that U2 already serves BFS from LGW (and LTN & STN), and with BA & EI's flights serving both LCY & LHR, I personally can't see BHD-LGW working out, but I could be wrong.

Albert Hall
6th May 2021, 20:30
Allan - that's complete tosh. Stobart applied for slots at Gatwick and withheld the destination for those slots when they did so. They had also talked about expansion plans at BHD around the same time. You - or whoever told you this - have added 2+2 and most probably got 5. They have never signalled flying BHD-LGW and it's an idea of someone's own creation. I'd heard that their LGW slot bid was for the Newquay PSO but I can't say for sure if that's true or not, so I won't pretend to know.

The franchise position is that any route has to be agreed by Aer Lingus to be a franchise service which is the same across pretty much every franchise. I understand they could not fly the E190s as Aer Lingus franchise aircraft but as they no longer have them, it's now irrelevant.

DUB19
11th May 2021, 18:48
Loganair have removed GLA from sale until the 1st of September. Any ideas why?

Alteagod
11th May 2021, 20:53
Not selling probably or Stobart taking it over. Hasn't been running for a while. EMA is the same. I think stoll a lot bedding down to take place on routes but the new Stormount domestic route support scheme might help.

Fly757X
11th May 2021, 21:01
I think the brutal truth is that a lot of these routes that were launched in the face of the pandemic simply will still have too much capacity for the foreseeable. I'd expect other airlines to keep optimising their offering as well, launching more leaner routes this summer as opposed to a strong focus on previous trunk routes. Hopefully this isn't the future post-2021 but we will just have to deal with these withdrawals up until the end of the year I'm afraid. LM have cut a vast amount of frequencies on GLA/EDI-SOU and ABZ-MAN/BHX amongst others today so it isn't an isolated issue and it will just take time.

Alteagod
12th May 2021, 17:16
Agree probably see some contraction on some, growth on others as we really don't know what way people will travel when restrictions lifted or even if the business type travellers will return in any great numbers.

Fly757X
12th May 2021, 17:39
Yeah that's the exact issue really. The re-emergence and attitudes are looking really inconsistent which is a shame, but perhaps not unexpected. I probably wouldn't have been travelling internationally this summer but I was planning on travelling BHD-GLA-LDY a fair bit which now can't happen. Out of all the routes which have seen the cuts I am a little feared GLA-BHD may not return in it's present form. No real other reason than out of all the routes that have been launched in the wake of this by LM, it has been one of the ones that hasn't operated for such a protracted period and been put back for numerous long stints which this one being another big one. It does funnily enough operate next week twice on an ER4/SF3 which I presume is for some sort of corporate customer but it looks liking BFS-GLA may be proving a little strong for LM. I'll hope for the best mind you!

DUB19
16th May 2021, 09:56
FR appear to have cut a few AGP/ALC/PMI/BCN flights for the month of June.

The first ALC looks to be 89% full (168 Pax)

Alteagod
16th May 2021, 13:49
To be replaced by FAO I believe on some days. No shock that June flights rolled back as no clear guidance on next stage or relaxation. I think India variant will make some think twice about travel especially first few months of Summer

Albert Hall
19th May 2021, 20:42
It sounds to be getting quite out of hand. Eastern have brought forward the re-launch of Cardiff services and will fly from 27 May - so clearly trying to get well established ahead of EI Regional / Stobart. I'm told Eastern management were in BHD yesterday. There's then rumour of Eastern having a go at Stobart on Leeds / Belfast City in view of their service cuts and Stobart having a go at Loganair on Glasgow / Belfast City after their deferred re-start date. You'd have thought the airport would be trying to encourage stability during the re-build period rather than this dogfight.

DUB19
19th May 2021, 22:39
Belfast - Glasgow now added to the Aer Lingus website. Looks to be starting 1 July 2021

EI-BUD
19th May 2021, 23:01
Quite impressive line up by Stobart in the guise of Aer Lingus REGIONAL. With 9 destinations now, what will come next, my guess would be that there may be gaps for more leisure orientated routes in between schedules, stand outs might be LPL and NCL.

I wouldn't rule out Saturday flights to JER and RNS in summer 2022.

allan1987
19th May 2021, 23:33
Looks like loganair have dropped GLA-BHD, when I seen this at the time route was stopped at the time until September I did hear something at the time Stobart Air might take over the route. Interesting to see if Stobart Air Cut back at Leeds and Eastern Airways run flights to Leeds instead.

The96er
20th May 2021, 00:45
Leeds seems to be a good performer on relative passenger loads. I’d expect Stobart to defend their turf on that route.

irishlad06
20th May 2021, 00:53
leeds was a winner for Flybe too when they operated the route. At one stage it was 5x daily and you could never get a seat on it apart from the 12:35 flight. I suspect stinker will continue to operate it.

Alteagod
20th May 2021, 02:37
I understand T3 is twice a day to LBA. Surprised at LM thought they would have stuck at the GLA. But a dogfight none the less.

BACsuperVC10
20th May 2021, 09:02
In the Manx Airlines days it was always BHD-LPL, not BFS, then when Easyjet came along everything moved to BFS. There has been both Belfast airports served since, Ryanair and Flybe have done it. I'm sure there is a market but they will need to be able stand up to Easyjet which is very dominant between Belfast and Liverpool.

EI-BUD
20th May 2021, 09:28
I agree BACsuperVC10 (great handle by the way!), I think this is why a daily rotation for a leisure audience may work on LPL and NCL to for in between frequency on the bigger routes, rather than trying to take on easyJet. In any case Stobart will only have so many airframes available for BHD, DUB will come back and expectations are that Ireland UK will be quite unrestricted by end of July.
I believe an update by Irish government will come this week in that regard.

Manx Airlines was a great little airline and they were trailblazers with low fares too, specific flights off peak were sold on 'farecracker' flight and BHD was included!

BACsuperVC10
20th May 2021, 10:16
Yes Manx were a great little airlines and for many years they provided a dependable service. I remember the "farecracker" fares too.

VickersVicount
20th May 2021, 20:37
and those horrific deafening vibrating ATPs !

allan1987
5th Jun 2021, 22:20
Looks like IOM - BHD Flights have been cancelled ?
flights showing as sold out.

Stobart Air taking over flights to IOM?

Fly757X
6th Jun 2021, 00:22
Most likely cancelled in like with their other cancellations from IOM. If anything STK taking over is probably near the bottom of the list of possible reasons in this case.

EI-BUD
6th Jun 2021, 01:38
Could be a great little filler at off peak times miss morning between rotations on bigger routes like BHX, MAN & EDI, and a very quick rotation too, at not far from 70miles flying!

Saabdriver1
6th Jun 2021, 10:28
Start date on IOM-BHD is now 25 October.

Sharklet7
12th Jun 2021, 06:51
Stobart Air Gone!

Stobart Air appear to be entering liquidation following the unsuccessful purchase from Ettyl.

All flights today are unfortunately cancelled and aircraft grounded.

Alteagod
12th Jun 2021, 06:56
Not correct. EI have terminated the franchise

shoe shine
12th Jun 2021, 07:47
Stobart are in the process of appointing liquidators

Sharklet7
12th Jun 2021, 08:09
Alteagod

http://www.irishnews.com/business/businessnews/2021/06/12/news/aer-lingus-regional-flights-cancelled-following-collapse-of-operator-stobart-air-2353250/

I have heard contrary and the attached link indicates Stobart terminated the contracts

Danmadole
12th Jun 2021, 08:59
Not a good time for Aer Lingus to be offering refunds....

mart901
12th Jun 2021, 13:56
Some EI flights operating tomorrow and Monday, I'm presuming as a rescue effort. BHX, MAN, EDI

EGAC is Better
12th Jun 2021, 17:28
I wonder if BA Cityflyer could pick up some of these temporarily until a permanent solution is found. Keeps the business inside the IAG Group and crews busy until (if) summer season actually starts.

BA318
12th Jun 2021, 17:31
BACF will operate Belfast to Exeter and Leeds. Not sure for how long.“Aer Lingus will operate the Dublin/Edinburgh, Dublin/Manchester, Belfast City/Manchester, Belfast City/Birmingham and Belfast City/Edinburgh routes.

BA City Flyer will operate the Belfast City/Exeter route and the Belfast City/Leeds Bradford route.

Plans for the Dublin/Kerry and Dublin/Donegal Public Service Obligation routes are still being worked out.

Customers due to travel on the Belfast City/East Midlands, Dublin/Glasgow and Dublin/Newquay routes are being offered alternative flights”

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0612/1227685-stobart-air/

Alteagod
13th Jun 2021, 09:01
Now showing on BA website aswell.

DUB19
13th Jun 2021, 19:57
Aer Lingus are now selling BHD-MAN/BHX as a daily A320 service up to July 18th.

Alteagod
13th Jun 2021, 20:42
No surprise there really good to see. Very popular routes will do well

mart901
13th Jun 2021, 20:43
EDI being loaded onto EI website currently, same dates

Alteagod
13th Jun 2021, 20:44
I see the MAN is showing 2 daily on some days

mart901
13th Jun 2021, 21:12
I'm imagining they will run the routes for now while they organise Regional again, prices are currently a kings ransom but they were with EIR and EZY are currently too, unsurprisingly.

It'll be interesting to see will anyone pick up the leftovers, Eastern, Loganair etc

Alteagod
13th Jun 2021, 21:16
I believe T3 already had slots for LBA filed for a while but not used. Maybe they will now

DUB19
13th Jun 2021, 21:26
It looks like an additional A320 is required to operate the new Aer Lingus flights:

• 07:40 dep to LHR
• 09:00 dep to MAN
• 09:30 dep to EDI

allan1987
13th Jun 2021, 21:59
Looks to be BHX and EDI once daily and
MAN 11x weekly

MAN is important to EI for the new Long fights so connecting flight from BHD - MAN will be a priority

GayFriendly
13th Jun 2021, 22:01
What about after July 18th? I've got BHX-BHD-BHX booked for 25th to 28th July. Will EI continue on this route? EZY fares to BFS on these dates have already gone rocketing up.

PPRuNeUser0176
13th Jun 2021, 22:13
The issue is from 19th July full Int travel is to be permitted from ROI and the fleet is back to work they don't have the capacity. Perhaps BA CityFlyer might be able to get themselves sorted to allocate an aircraft short term at BHD (or find a carrier to fill the gap short term) and EI will operate what they can out of Dub.

allan1987
13th Jun 2021, 22:19
There is strong possibility that BA Cityflyer might be operating all flights that Stobart Air ran from BHD by then. And may announce this in the coming days

Alteagod
14th Jun 2021, 05:48
Makes a kinda sense. Are they part of IAG under BA Mainline. They already diversifying from LCY with the new base in SOU. I suppose we will wait and see. BCAF had already committed to a PMI flight.

EI-BUD
14th Jun 2021, 06:07
Two units required for BHD schedule, 1 for LHR, the other for the 3 routes EDI, BHX & MAN.
Already are 2 units at BHD.

Alteagod
14th Jun 2021, 09:32
Was the EDI not a w pattern from DUB on Sunday. All very early I suppose in the planning stage for EI

EGAC is Better
14th Jun 2021, 10:56
It was indeed and same today. So 1 A320 for LHR, 1 for MAN/BHX and cover both DUB & BHD - EDI with 1 A320 from DUB.

DUB19
15th Jun 2021, 06:50
EI-DVN is currently positioning in from DUB.

There is a morning departure to LHR, EDI & MAN requiring 3 A320s. The DUB aircraft no longer operates DUB-EDI-BHD-EDI-DUB

mart901
15th Jun 2021, 08:21
Be interesting to see where this all goes, my flights in a couple of weeks to BHX are sitting at £575 return as it stands.........

BFS watcher
15th Jun 2021, 11:57
I really feel for the staff of Stobart Air must be tough in this environment particularly when a few of them already lost jobs when Flybe went down. It is beginning to look like BHD is the graveyard of airlines, trying to compete with EasyJet is becoming well nigh impossible

mart901
15th Jun 2021, 12:32
I'm not sure EZY is particularly the issue, going back before even Stobart, RE were in and out of basket case status fairly frequently. They'd a solid network in plenty of places other than BHD where EZY aren't, particularly operating transatlantic feed for EI. In many respects BE were the same, bad financial situation in the background.

mart901
16th Jun 2021, 15:17
https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/new-british-airways-services-take-off-from-belfast

CabinCrewe
16th Jun 2021, 15:28
would be good of they were made permanent, but I suspect not.
Who would have thought BA on GLA-BFS again…?!

cuthere
16th Jun 2021, 15:34
Well, as they’re flying to BHD, rather than BFS, probably no one.

As an aside. Has anyone with a booking heard anything from Aer Lingus regarding refunds/transfers etc? As is typical with airlines these days, it’s easier to make contact with the dead than their customer services.

mart901
16th Jun 2021, 15:43
yea, took a few days and I got a text and email, mine was a simple flight swap on BHX and resulted in a 5 minute timing change, it's actually a benefit all in all as I can take a full size cabin bag on EI mainline as opposed to the slightly smaller ones on EIR - what I was finding was with EZY the flights would be cheaper then adding a cabin bag/seat under the new rules meant EIR was cheaper.

cuthere
16th Jun 2021, 15:44
Thanks Mart. I have EXT and LBA bookings, so was wondering if these will get changed to BA.

cavokblues
16th Jun 2021, 16:02
I guess it makes good sense for CFE to get their aircraft up doing something rather than idling around all summer.

Whether they remain on the routes past the summer is another matter. I suspect crewing logistics might cause a headache but I guess most will just be glad to back in the saddle over the summer months.

mart901
16th Jun 2021, 16:18
Couldn't say, would hope so. I found physically logging into my EI account as opposed to the app and going to my trips, this section of the website wouldn't allow me to amend the booking, then a second booking appeared underneath with the new times. Not sure that would happen if it's transferred to BA but might help.
The contact centre will be flat out with enquiries and I'm sure less staffing than normal given the times we're in generally.
If you work on the basis the further away your booking is the longer they're likely to be informing you, given the flights with BA have only just been announced and loaded up it might be a day or so yet.

cuthere
16th Jun 2021, 16:25
Cheers Mart. I’ll wait a few days before looking at alternatives.

BFS BHD
16th Jun 2021, 21:08
easyJet to London Gatwick loading into the system at 2 daily from July.

True Blue
16th Jun 2021, 21:10
This is a spoiler for sure

mart901
17th Jun 2021, 08:41
https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/easyjet-london-gatwick-from-belfast-city-airport

mart901
17th Jun 2021, 11:20
Price of BA flights to LBA have dropped dramatically since the EZY announcement, looking on various dates in summer if you want to bring even a cabin suitcase its cheaper on BA.

Alteagod
17th Jun 2021, 12:32
All good to see but I wonder if this is mostly staycation type of business. How long term is it when places start opening up

PPRuNeUser0176
17th Jun 2021, 21:35
EI have confirmed they will continue to run Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh until late August.

Easyjet to LGW is a great addition.

Alteagod
18th Jun 2021, 02:49
That probably covers most of the forward sales that would have been operated on Stobart. Also gets the DUB based crew flying again I suppose

GayFriendly
19th Jun 2021, 23:04
Where is it confirmed that EI will continue flights to/from BHX, EDI and MAN? It's certainly not on their website which has no availability from 18th July for these routes.

I booked a few weeks ago for 25th July, when I go into Manage my Booking my original reservation comes up and still shows as confirmed and being operated by Stobart Air and I can even book and pay for a seat on a seat map that is clearly an ATR....

I've not had any communication from EI to say that this flight is cancelled or what they are going to do about it. I appreciate they were apparently caught short by Stobart but this is very poor customer service indeed. Wish I'd booked with EasyJet instead!!

ajamieson
20th Jun 2021, 06:42
One month is an near-eternity in current circumtances, even without the airline collapsing. I would imagine EI is trying to fix rescue flights over the first few days before processing next month's forward bookings.

mart901
20th Jun 2021, 06:57
Front of the website tap where it says about the travel disruption/more information at the top. The flights won't be on sale as they are manually moving customers bookings where appropriate etc.
You may see this under the my trips section of your account with them, there may be a second booking there and you'll not be able to amend it currently while they are.
They seem to be working on August at the moment and they say they're working on plans for past that, I'd imagine the uncertainty in Ireland covering the Dublin base and what they can and can't fly isn't helping matters. I think it took them about 4/5 days or so from the announcement to my June flights being ammended.

There's been hardly any flights on sale until recently and given the pent up demand for domestic routes currently putting them on sale before they've accommodated everyone who was booked on regional could be a much bigger customer service issue than not informing you as promptly as would be expected.

Alteagod
20th Jun 2021, 09:54
Agree I think in short term these are very much rescue flights for pre seat sales as loads seem to reflect this.. I suspect the crewing logistics alone must be a nightmare but I am sure it will sort itself out eventually to a more workable schedule and fare structure.

mart901
20th Jun 2021, 11:48
The fares did drop down on the flights I'm booked onto this month a few days after I was moved onto it, some fares down to £29 one way, but still not a full schedule and indeed I agree it's a temporary arrangement they never planned for, they've salvaged as much as they can I think.

allan1987
20th Jun 2021, 11:55
​​​​​​Aer Lingus did say would run until end of summer on 6 routes. But nothing has been put on sale from 18th July. Also was mentioned that Cardiff and East Midlands is cancelled until 27th June, so may be possible that EDI, BHX, CWL and EMA will move to BA Cityflyer, and Aer Lingus will still operate flights to MAN.

I see that Esken is looking for someone to sublease their 8 ATRs until April 2023 not sure if Emerald or BA Cityflyer would be interested in this

PPRuNeUser0176
20th Jun 2021, 20:14
GayFriendly

Details of Aer Lingus Regional Replacement Schedule

Aer Lingus will operate six routes until at least the end of August 2021 and is progressing plans for services beyond this date, details of which will be announced shortly. BA CityFlyer has announced that it will operate four routes for the rest of Summer 2021 period.

Operations by Aer Lingus

Belfast - Edinburgh
Belfast - Manchester
Belfast - Birmingham
Dublin - Manchester
Dublin - Edinburgh
Dublin - Glasgow

Operations by BA CityFlyer until at least 31st August 2021

Belfast - Leeds Bradford
Belfast - Exeter
Belfast - Glasgow (starts 2nd August 2021)
Belfast - Newquay (starts 3rd July 2021)

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

GayFriendly
21st Jun 2021, 08:48
Thanks to everyone for your replies to my post about BHX-BHD flights!

My booking is still showing as confirmed on a Stobart operated ATR and I can still book a seat....

I guess they will get round to updating and re-confirming my reservation now it appears they are continuing flights until end of Aug. This must be a huge amount of work given the scale of re-bookings, refunds and flight changes they're having to deal with. Having said that, a quick, generic email to all customers affected to reassure them that their reservation will be honoured and some idea as to what and when would have been appreciated, particularly in light of the fact that alternative flights from BHX, MAN and LPL have absolutely shot up in price since Stobart pulled the plug.

PPRuNeUser0176
25th Jun 2021, 09:50
EI to run the routes until end of October (end of summer schedule) and all on sale.

brian_dromey
25th Jun 2021, 11:10
The routes currently operated by BA city flyer are shown as “Sold Out” from the 1st of September. Prior to that the website returns no results at all. I think 31st of August is the last confirmed BA Cityflyer pertain to LBA and EXT.

Alteagod
25th Jun 2021, 12:49
Maybe BACF only taking old ,Stobart bookings until.

ECR
25th Jun 2021, 15:46
I only looked at a couple of dates in July and August on the BACF service to Leeds Bradford, but it was certainly available to book on the BA app. There were even business class seats for sale so I think they are certainly taking bookings to the end of August. I doubt BACF will continue with the non London flights after August, but I can live in hope!

brian_dromey
25th Jun 2021, 16:43
Sorry, I meant on the Aer Lingus website. As it currently stands the EI website shows BHD-LBA as "no flights" until the 31st of August and "Sold Out" after that date. I guess there is no concrete plan for flights op by Cityflyer after that date. As one poster notes, BA seem to be offering Club on BHD-LBA, I wonder what uptake will be like.
I share pessimism that Cityflyer won't be in the non-LCY domestic market long term. But their network was so reliant on business travel pre-covid that nothing can be ruled out. I think LCY had the highest proportion of business travel for any airport in London, possibly globally. 45% of travel at LCY was said to be business, 25% at Heathrow, 15% at Gatwick and 13% at Stansted.

Alteagod
25th Jun 2021, 16:52
I think post Covid anything is possible now with airlines but short medium term all the money is probably domestic with a sprinkle of business/European customers. The recent announcement of funding from the NI Government to support domestic routes might keep them a bit longer on the route.

SealinkBF
26th Jun 2021, 13:28
BA selling Business Class seats now on the Embraers. The seats are identical, you get a snack and a drink in Y anyway - business gives lounge access, better luggage allowance etc.

mart901
5th Jul 2021, 12:28
https://m.independent.ie/business/aer-lingus-regional-service-set-for-relaunch-by-october-40612869.html

allan1987
5th Jul 2021, 12:44
Emerald Airlines to start in October with 14 ATR 72-600's that they will use on routes from Belfast City, Cork, Dublin, Donegal and Kerry,
BACF may stay at but change to different routes, possibly bhd to lgw and and at busy times to man/bhx/lba

Alteagod
5th Jul 2021, 14:32
I won't hold my breath just yet on Emerald Airways. No doubt it will happen but not getting over excited just yet.

allan1987
10th Jul 2021, 18:54
Aer Lingus have put on flights on for sale for to EDI, MAN and BHX for W21.

im guessing Emerald is going to look after dublin routes only for W21

Interesting to see what routes and times will BA CityFlyer for operate W21

Alteagod
10th Jul 2021, 21:45
I suppose they could always change the operator or aircraft type later on. At least they operating the flights

The96er
10th Jul 2021, 22:24
The BHD-MAN flights appear to drop down to x1/daily soon from the current 11/weekly. With loads picking up nicely - far higher than DUB/MAN flights, I would have thought keeping them at at least 11/weekly would be the better to service the route.

Alteagod
11th Jul 2021, 09:37
I think the MAN was expected to feed the EIUK TA flights. Possibly why its dropped not to mention the EI flights from DUB picking up so maybe not the crew to taxi up and down for every flight to and from BHD.

DUB19
3rd Aug 2021, 15:07
Ryanair appear to be ending the BHD routes on the 12th of September instead of the 30th of October. Flights beyond 12/09 are showing as sold out.

EI-BUD
3rd Aug 2021, 17:00
Thanks for highlighting this DUB19, I've got some tickets in Oct on some of these routes.
Be interesting to see if they reinstate them in 2021. The pricing has been extraordinary even up to the last minute. Says alot about the yield environment, the suggestion has been in the industry that the summer would be elongated to allow for the missing travel opportunities pre June etc and pent up demand etc.

Alteagod
3rd Aug 2021, 17:07
Hardly a shock with the barely double figure loads on some flights. Probably got the deal they wanted from BFS. Flights I'm sure will shift up the road.

CabinCrewe
3rd Aug 2021, 17:19
Or maybe not bother with any Belfast?

Alteagod
3rd Aug 2021, 17:37
Also possible and probable

mart901
6th Aug 2021, 05:24
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/emerald-airlines-confirmed-as-new-aer-lingus-regional-operator-1.4638629

Updated announcement including mention of Belfast

allan1987
6th Aug 2021, 11:23
Emerald will also apply for UK licences that would allow it to fly from Belfast (https://www.irishtimes.com/topics/topics-7.1213540?article=true&tag_location=Belfast), where the airline intends to base five aircraft.

Looks to possibly GLA, EDI, LBA, MAN, BHX, and one flight daily during the day to EXT and EMA?

ESCNI
20th Aug 2021, 16:05
DUB19

BBC Radio Ulster are only just picking up on this now ... over two weeks later. :rolleyes:

EI-BUD
20th Aug 2021, 20:52
Today Ryanair sent out cancellation notice on bookings held for travel after Sept 12.

Alteagod
20th Aug 2021, 22:02
Hardly a shock tbh. Wonder what spin MOL will put on this this time round.

True Blue
20th Aug 2021, 22:03
More to the point, what spin will BHD put on it? A massive success I bet!

Alteagod
21st Aug 2021, 11:22
Undoubtedly a resounding success

EI-BUD
23rd Aug 2021, 05:23
It's a rough year to evaluate the success of these new services, a lot of what the airlines are doing is reaccomodating 2020 displaced passengers who had vouchers etc. Ryanair ex BHD has none of that.

All that said it's not encouraging that they are axing the routes early, and dates were incredibly cheap, like availability days prior to travel for under £10.
I can't see Ryanair coming back next year.

If this is the case it begs the question how can BHD develop an international flying programme at scale. The main players are unavailable and no low cost carrier will base at BHD due to curfew etc.
​​​​​​They need easyJet and I'd not be surprised if we can a major deal done to capture business from BFS.

IAG obviously are committed given how they stepped into the breach when Stobart closed. I expect the bulk of that business will be replaced by Emerald. The other unknown item is Flybe mark 2.
Option for growth seems very limited.

Alteagod
23rd Aug 2021, 13:31
I doubt growth is on the cards for a long time tbh more replacement of lost business from STK collapse more likely I would suggest. I think the winter will just tick along and maybe an early boost from around Easter next year possibly naturally all covid dependent

shoe shine
24th Aug 2021, 09:35
How is the easyjet operation performing from BHD? Might they be willing to take on any of the FR routes?

EI-BUD
25th Aug 2021, 09:42
Should we expect Wizz?

SKOJB
25th Aug 2021, 10:58
Would imagine Cityflyer with an extended summer programme

Alteagod
25th Aug 2021, 11:15
CFE most likely

True Blue
25th Aug 2021, 13:11
I see Ryanair making a big play that APD was a major reason in their decision to leave both Belfast airports. When they announced the new BHD routes, they knew it was there and that it wasn't going to be changed that soon. But no journalist ever pins them down on these sorts of statements. As a company, they must be a nightmare to deal with. Nothing ever seems to please them. I wonder if they ever look at their own failings?

dHMozzie
25th Aug 2021, 13:48
Its the same APD as they pay at all the mainland airports is it not? Can't/won't compete with easy at the international and can't get enough sectors in with the curfew or bums on seats with Runway length at city is my guess

True Blue
25th Aug 2021, 14:03
Yes that same APD does not seem to be an issue at Stn or Man for example.

PinOnTheRight
25th Aug 2021, 14:34
They didn't have any aircraft based at BHD so trying to squeeze in sectors within the opening times wasn't really an issue, and fairly certain they weren't restricted performance wise either.

Alteagod
25th Aug 2021, 15:02
Maybe operating flights barely in double figure passenger loads might have something to do with it.

GAZMO
25th Aug 2021, 15:14
Give it a year or two then they will re appear in a blaze of glory promising NI folk everything in terms of cheap flights / destinations................give them a year or two after that and they will find an excuse to leave again, naturally blaming airport, government or anybody else

EI-BUD
25th Aug 2021, 18:04
The NI market on international routes is very seasonal and very leisure orientated. The vast majority of pasengers fly to the Med sun belt; Faro, Malaga, Alicante and Palma comprise circa 40% of the total demand on international routes. The array of routes to cities in Continental Europe is very limited, this has always been the case.

easyJet learned (during Carolyn McCall's time) to hold firm in their core markets and not cut and run in the face of Ryanair below cost selling. Ryanair needs to run the competitors out of town but based on easyJet approach achieve that in this core easyJet market. The international routes will therefore be unattractive with much greater opportunities available in Europe.

This leaves the domestic market where the biggest opportunities for volume exist. This won't work for Ryanair as we've seen time and time again. For these reasons both in equal measure;

next to no ancillary revenue. Highly VFR and poor uptake on luggage and car hire etc.
Very late booking market. Ryanair apply general approach, measure of success is fill the plane well in advance if departure date. Doesn't happen on domestics, hence they dump seats on the market at very low prices. They don't pick up late high fares* (*not like other routes). Proof is they surrendered valuable slots on BFS LGW. I'd suggest made nothing on this route.

For all of these reasons Belfast is not attractive.
My sources tell me that the deal at BHD was zero landing fees. The idea was to drive volume for BHD and they then collect car park revenue, support concessions too etc etc.

allan1987
5th Sep 2021, 20:10
The flights by BA Cityflyer flights from BHD to GLA/LBA/EXT seem now to have a code share with Aer Lingus (BHD-LBA BA7313 / EI 8383) this may be with do with
Emerald Airlines starting soon.

Alteagod
5th Sep 2021, 21:40
I think it's been like that a while. The whole CFE program is ramped up from tomorrow at BHD. Great to see

The96er
5th Sep 2021, 21:44
Would any Emerald startup at BHD not require them to obtain a U.K AOC first ? Have they even acquired their Irish AOC yet ?

Downwind_Left
5th Sep 2021, 23:50
I think the critical thing is, with the former Stobart Air Belfast routes currently being operated in-house by Aer Lingus and Cityflyer, why would they be in any hurry to hand those routes over to a third party operator in Emerald?

IAG have excess capacity, spare aircraft and crew, so keeping those routes in house makes a lot of sense. The same would apply to the Dublin-UK network. From a group perspective it’s probably best to utilise your own assets before you bring in a third party.

Eventually as frequency demands the use of A320/E190 aircraft become sub optimal, but for now I think IAG would rather keep the cost and revenue in house. As alluded to above, there are some frequency increases currently kicking in on the Belfast flying and code shares back in operation. Why would you want to hand any of that money over to a non-IAG company at the moment?

Downwind_Left
9th Sep 2021, 10:03
BA Cityflyer, 16 times weekly Belfast-City to Birmingham from 31st October.

British Airways Media Centre (https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/news/09092021/british-airways-extends-its-uk-destinations-this-winter?ref=Home)

mart901
21st Sep 2021, 13:43
https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/Package-Holidays-from-Belfast-City

GAZMO
21st Sep 2021, 13:50
Is this the same company that had to pull the plug on flights to Majorca a couple of years ago?

mart901
21st Sep 2021, 17:36
Believe so yes.

On another note EZY - LGW is on sale into Nov now.

Alteagod
21st Sep 2021, 18:13
Is it not same company that doing the LDY flights as well. Did they ever happen anywhere. Was there not something about them mot being ATOL or ABTA or something.

My sources on the footbridge have said that EZY staying for winter

DUB19
21st Sep 2021, 19:48
Vueling look to be ending BCN now on the 1st of October instead of the 29th. Disappointing to see them leave again.

buzz_hornet
22nd Sep 2021, 05:13
Wasn't a year round service though. Yes it's disappointing to see them close the season early.

buzz_hornet
22nd Sep 2021, 05:15
Alteagod

Yep. It's alba star operating the flights from LDY on behalf of this company.

SWBKCB
22nd Sep 2021, 05:52
Yes it's the same company, JetsGo Holidays, who were offering flights from LDY and other smakller airports. Don't think much if anything happened this year. They are bonded in Spain, not in the UK. That could make things interesting.

shoe shine
23rd Sep 2021, 13:38
Why are there any questions about EasyJet's permanence at BHD, who ever suggested the BHD - LGW was a temporary measures? I am hearing that we could see more services from BHD though cant establish if it's more Gatwick rotations or other routes.

Alteagod
23rd Sep 2021, 15:12
MAN has been mentioned as possible EZY route from BHD. Not heard chat of anything else

DUB19
23rd Sep 2021, 23:12
Aer Lingus look to be increasing EDI up to 11x weekly for the winter.
MAN also increased to 2x Daily.

biddedout
24th Sep 2021, 07:25
How are they managing to operate UK domestic routes with EI registered aircraft? I could be missing something but their website suggests that they are operating BHD - MAN, BHX etc with EI A320's.

Cozy F
24th Sep 2021, 12:48
Indeed - all very strange indeed. Particularly as this issue of appropriate registering of aircraft was the very issue which Ryanair had a spat with the UK authorities about around the start of the year!

Alteagod
24th Sep 2021, 12:59
Possibly like Brexit Northern Ireland has some kind of Aviation protocol in place as well covering EU registered aircraft and airlines.

mart901
24th Sep 2021, 13:25
Are they operating them on behalf of BA?

Downwind_Left
24th Sep 2021, 13:44
Legally now they could probably operate them on behalf of Aer Lingus UK…

Cozy F]Indeed

I believe the issue with Ryanair was scale, they wanted single token aircraft on their UK AOC and then have all the other UK Domestic and UK Non-EU flights operated by wet-leased aircraft running to hundreds of flights a week. The Secretary of Sate can, and will, approve temporary waivers, for short-term capacity, but the type of operation planned for Ryanair UK was way outside this scope.

biddedout
24th Sep 2021, 13:47
Only the routes being operated by CCFE seem code-shared with BA. The BHD - EDI / MAN / BHX appear to be Aer Lingus only and are not bookable on the BA website. These three routes appear to be UK domestics operated by a third country airline and this doesn't seem to fit within the TCA agreement with the EU.

mart901
24th Sep 2021, 16:38
My understanding was Stobart operated EIR routes on behalf of BA to get around this - I'm thinking this would be a temporary continuation as a rescue?