View Full Version : Belfast City Airport-3

Pages : 1 [2] 3

mart901
28th Sep 2021, 19:22
LGW with U2 on sale up to 06/02/22.

BHX with EI showing off sale from NOV, not surprisingly in a way.

buzz_hornet
28th Sep 2021, 21:16
Looks like cityflyer are replacing EI

mart901
29th Sep 2021, 15:43
https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/Aer-Lingus-Uplift-Heathrow-Manchester-Edinburgh

EI-BUD
29th Sep 2021, 22:17
Very respectable traffic on easyJet's LGW route for August. 20,439 pax in the month. That would look like 164 pax per flight (based on 2 flights each way daily). Assuming 180 seat 320 on each flight, a load factor of 91%. There didn't seem to be particularly low on pricinh, so I'm guessing the result will be satisfactory to them. 12k was the number for August, but that wasn't a full month from memory.

Alteagod
30th Sep 2021, 13:22
VY shifting up to BFS to operate to ORY from November

True Blue
17th Nov 2021, 12:18
With Flybe Mk2 announcing their return to the skies today from early next year and the expectation that Bhd will be on their radar, how does Bhd manage their relationship with EI and EI regional going forward, considering EI has done so much to restore business to Bhd over the past few months? Would it not be natural for EI to feel a bit miffed should Flybe be welcomed back to compete on the same routes?

OneBellEnd
17th Nov 2021, 17:00
Potentially interesting times with IAG re-appearing again back up the road at BFS with Vueling flights. Could open up the channel for an Aer Lingus return from there too!

brian_dromey
18th Nov 2021, 07:37
True Blue

Depends how you define ‘welcomed back’, doesn’t it? Would flyBe Mk2 be competing on EI/BA served routes, or on routes which are served by other airlines, or not served at all? I don’t know if new airlines would be eligible for discounted handling or other route supports, but these are generally not available if the route is already served. So while EI might not be thrilled about it, they probably wont have much cause for complaint either.

True Blue
18th Nov 2021, 08:59
Since they have announced Bhx as their first base, it would be surprising if Bhd was not on their list of routes. Obviously, I have no idea, but it is interesting, if they start Bhx-Bhd, do both operators stay on the route, or is one forced off? I cannot imagine them using Bfs. I suppose time will tell.

escaped.atco
18th Nov 2021, 17:18
I see EasyJet are keeping the BHD LGW going next season as well, wonder will we see more orange tails as time goes on?

EI-BUD
19th Nov 2021, 07:04
True Blue,
I think that Aer Lingus/BACF/IAG have clearly signalled their interest in BHD and have invested a lot to maintain the services that were operated (and closed) through the early pandemic by Stobart Air. Emerald will appear and I have a degree of confidence that it will fight its corner. Remember it is a clean sheet airline with strong backers and it's leader has skin in the game and is ex Ryanair. I'd suggest Flybe might be better investing its start up funds in other markets. Just my reading of the situation. A popular aviation journal only this week called out the routes that Emerald would operate, the BHD routes are included.

Alteagod
19th Nov 2021, 09:53
I agree I think Flybe might be better just leaving BHD alone until W22/23. I would think that a blood bath would ensue if they arrived all guns blazing. The domestic market from there is pretty much sorted now. Yes a few gaps but they probably covered from BFS. BE probably better to stick to BHX and build up there reputation again with not only the public but the aviation industry.

allan1987
21st Nov 2021, 20:20
See that Aer Lingus are recruiting cabin crew for Belfast City, perhaps to continue operating the current routes out of BHD?
Or more routes planned? Also, could be an agreement , to use Aer Lingus Cabin Crew on BA Cityflyer from Belfast?

https://apply.workable.com/nobox-hr-outsourcing-solutions/j/8BE0951B76/

Alteagod
22nd Nov 2021, 12:16
I suspect a bit of both tbh hardly need to recruit extra crew if only operating 3 x LHR a day. Possibly doing some of the routes FR did this summer or continuing what they are doing but with BHD crew. Cant be cost effective the current sending by taxi all the crew to and from Dublin and hotac costs

MCDU2
23rd Nov 2021, 10:30
Rumour has it the taxis are covered by the airport authority. The Dublin based ccms mostly position up and back that day, pilots have both day return and overnight duties. BHD ccms were never replaced when they left in the past 4-5 years with gaps being filled by Dublin crew. Hopefully this is a sign that EI is committing to the base.

Alteagod
23rd Nov 2021, 11:48
I did hear they "contribute' not cover the cost in full but yes it would seem a good sign non the less that they staying put at BHD.

mart901
23rd Nov 2021, 16:08
As a carrier with a UK license doesn't EI UK (based in Belfast) have to have UK crews predominantly? It may have been accepted as an interim rescue situation but longer term may be difficult.

I notice when you look at transatlantic flights from Dublin they also show you the price from MAN now, I'm thinking if this is going to be a heavily promoted set of routes they may want to hang on to MAN and provide feed in house.

brian_dromey
24th Nov 2021, 09:43
You are nearly right, post Brexit foreign National would require a work visa. An exception is that Irish citizens retain the unrestricted right to live and work in the U.K. So Irish citizens are fine, other EU citizens would require a work visa.
People born in NI can choose to identify as Irish or British, so even stickier.

mart901
24th Nov 2021, 16:44
of course, see what you mean.

Technically although Ryanair use Irish employment contracts they use agency crews sourced directly from outside of UK and Ireland and this is how they came unstuck.

Sharklet7
29th Dec 2021, 19:11
Just checking if anyone has heard anything about Flybe's plans and how that may include Belfast as a base?

irishlad06
29th Dec 2021, 21:42
Just checking if anyone has heard anything about Flybe's plans and how that may include Belfast as a base?

there is already staff hired for the based. I personally know of a number of cabin crew who have just completed their training and also according to LinkedIn they have a cabin crew base manager appointed already. Looks like BHX and BHD will be their two initial bases.

Sharklet7
29th Dec 2021, 21:46
there is already staff hired for the based. I personally know of a number of cabin crew who have just completed their training and also according to LinkedIn they have a cabin crew base manager appointed already. Looks like BHX and BHD will be their two initial bases.

I had seen the same on LinkedIn to be honest.

Any idea when they might start up? Will be interesting to see if there will be capacity for a Flybe base once Emerald start operations....(and I suspect that will be before summer 22)

fjencl
29th Dec 2021, 23:21

So have they rehired cabin crew who used to work for them out of interest. I guess that would save on the amount of training required and cost.

tictack67
30th Dec 2021, 07:58
So have they rehired cabin crew who used to work for them out of interest. I guess that would save on the amount of training required and cost.

Flybe haven't flown for nearly two years.

All Cabin Crew will need to go thru full training and first aid and SEP and fire fighting course. All courses must be CAA approved.

Do you think it's like just putting on a spare pinny and become cabin crew?

EI-BUD
30th Dec 2021, 23:27
If what is stated is true (not doubting your commentary Irishlad06), re Flybe having a base at BHD, we can only conclude that this relaunched airline is commercially suicidal. Emerald will fight tooth and nail for the business ex BHD, they also have significant backers and a broader operation feeding AerLingus' Dublin hub. easyJet is very much in the picture too.

Sounds surreal that they'd look to go into such hottly contested markets from the get go. They need a niche, this is not it.

Alteagod
31st Dec 2021, 17:22
Its as if Flybe think they just paused flying and nothing else in the world changed and then one day they thought, lets have another go at this airline running idea again. Its bound to make pots of money this time.

Albert Hall
31st Dec 2021, 19:27
Alteagod, I think that’s exactly right on every count. It is as if they think nothing has changed, but Emerald have other plans and much more sales and distribution presence under the Aer Lingus franchise.

Una Due Tfc
31st Dec 2021, 19:59
Indeed it is a very different situation now with IAG backed Emerald in the mix. What aircraft are the new Flybe using this time around? The Q400, whilst fast for a turbo-prop is a guzzler vs the ATR, that's why nobody buys them anymore and the line is gone. IAG happily capacity dumped on Norwegian via Level and the densified BA 777s at LGW enough to drive them out of business, they're doing the same to Virgin with EI-UK at MAN. One can only assume they'll do the same to Flybe mk2 via EI/EIUK/Emerald/BA etc

Jamie2009
31st Dec 2021, 20:07
Do you really think this is all just worked out on the back of a fag packet and Flybe think let’s have a bash at this - what could go wrong…..
Why don’t you look at the CEO of Emerald and what other business he runs and how that could link into Flybe, I’ll give you a clue it’s in Exeter.
32 Dash flying around working hard is a lot of aircraft……… (if they reach that number)

Why not Just be happy that the City of Belfast is getting better connected to the rest of the UK and more jobs are being created for the locals - that’s a good thing right 👍. Don’t stress about the business side if things - it’s not your cash.

Albert Hall
31st Dec 2021, 20:27
If you think there is any wider relationship beyond customers for a maintenance facility then I think you’re misguided. They’ll compete like hell in Belfast until there is a winner and it’s already clear who that will be. Good luck for 2022 Jamie, but don’t keep the rose tinted spectacles on for too long.

BA318
31st Dec 2021, 20:44
Do you really think this is all just worked out on the back of a fag packet and Flybe think let’s have a bash at this - what could go wrong…..
Why don’t you look at the CEO of Emerald and what other business he runs and how that could link into Flybe, I’ll give you a clue it’s in Exeter.
32 Dash flying around working hard is a lot of aircraft……… (if they reach that number)

Why not Just be happy that the City of Belfast is getting better connected to the rest of the UK and more jobs are being created for the locals - that’s a good thing right 👍. Don’t stress about the business side if things - it’s not your cash.

The risk is though that they end up causing a lot of damage which ultimately ends up with fewer employed. Look at the mess Flybe 1 left. Plenty of businesses out of pocket. Loganair lost millions because they decided to fight a pointless war.

and I doubt IAG will be happy if the CEO of Emerald prioritises his maintenance firm’s partners over the deal he has with them.

Flybe2 will have a fight on their hand. IAG will play hard. Easyjet will too. That’s why everyone has said Flybe2 needs to find it’s niche. I’m not sure going head to head with other operators (most of which have frequent flyer schemes or decent offerings to lock pax in) is the answer.

The Birmingham base could work but it needs sensible decisions. I’d have stuck with a base there and go big from there and then expand.

mart901
13th Jan 2022, 15:54
https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/Emerald-Airlines-Announces-Belfast-City-Routes

allan1987
13th Jan 2022, 18:10
Emerald Airlines plans base at Belfast City Airportwww.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/emerald-airlines (https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/emerald-airlines-plans-base-at-belfast-city-airport-1.4775864)

Emerald Airlines plans to open a base at Belfast City Airport and will fly to EDI, GLA, BHX, MAN, EXT and LBA Airports, with more routes likely to be added throughout 2022.
This will also with British Airways and Aer Lingus regarding code sharing and other co-operation so that can maintain the continuity and benefits of the current services offered by both airlines at Belfast City Airport

CabinCrewe
13th Jan 2022, 18:14
shame to lose BACF BHD-GLA Emb190 on the route (assuming it will go)

Alteagod
14th Jan 2022, 08:59
I think the BACF was only every a short term plan until Summer 22. At least they seem to be keeping the LCY. I woukd say thats some cash cow for them as for the rest, selling with no C class on other routes probably big part of decision to stop routes.

Sharklet7
30th Jan 2022, 14:41
Has anyone heard when Emerald might actually start flights from BHD? Are we to assume late March? Suppose they woating for the UK AOC before making any definite plans or announcements.

jmdavies86
31st Jan 2022, 12:34
Has anyone heard when Emerald might actually start flights from BHD?

Indeed, they can't begin to advertise or sell seats until they've obtained their UK AOC and operating licence. According to ch-aviation (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/111642-irelands-emerald-airlines-to-open-belfast-city-base), this is expected to happen by June, so I suspect it'll be early/mid-July before they actually start operating any flights from/to BHD.

ATNotts
1st Feb 2022, 09:28
Indeed, they can't begin to advertise or sell seats until they've obtained their UK AOC and operating licence. According to ch-aviation (https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/111642-irelands-emerald-airlines-to-open-belfast-city-base), this is expected to happen by June, so I suspect it'll be early/mid-July before they actually start operating any flights from/to BHD.

Could be interesting if that's the case, since it gives Flybe a chance to steal a march on them, supposing they start in late March.

Downwind_Left
1st Feb 2022, 11:01
Could be interesting if that's the case, since it gives Flybe a chance to steal a march on them, supposing they start in late March.

I don't see that to be the case... All Emerald's BHD routes are currently flown by Aer Lingus and BA Cityflyer, if the changeover to Emerald operating is delayed then I'm sure they wont leave any of those routes vacant. The A320/E190 operation will be extended, or they'll find a suitable interim solution, including wet leasing from Emerald's Irish AOC. IAG will not leave any gaps in their Belfast network, after all the work they've done in the last 2 years establishing themselves as the dominant force at BHD.

No gaps for flybe 2.

ATNotts
1st Feb 2022, 11:05
I don't see that to be the case... All Emerald's BHD routes are currently flown by Aer Lingus and BA Cityflyer, if the changeover to Emerald operating is delayed then I'm sure they wont leave any of those routes vacant. The A320/E190 operation will be extended, or they'll find a suitable interim solution, including wet leasing from Emerald's Irish AOC. IAG will not leave any gaps in their Belfast network, after all the work they've done in the last 2 years establishing themselves as the dominant force at BHD.

No gaps for flybe 2.

Except that the schedules aren't of the frequency that Flybe would probably be looking to offer, and reading other threads it seems as though BA Cityflyer don't have the resources to up frequencies presently. If nothing else it would give something for Flybe to go at. Whether IAG would look to divert resources to the BHD operation to see off any potential competition from Flybe is of course another question altogether.

Alteagod
1st Feb 2022, 11:34
Indeed the big question. Certainly BCA owners I doubt want to see a repeat of overdependance on one carrier again which potentially could include the IAG group.

WHBM
1st Feb 2022, 12:00
I think the BACF was only every a short term plan until Summer 22. At least they seem to be keeping the LCY. I woukd say thats some cash cow for them as for the rest, selling with no C class on other routes probably big part of decision to stop routes.
It's actually a moot point whether BHD-LCY is a "cash cow", or even profitable/worthwhile. I've been a user of the route for many years, WHEN it has been offered, back to the original Flybe (who started off with a 146 jet, but then knocked back to their smallest aircraft, a Dash-8-300). After they had given up for a while Scot Airways had a shot, with an even smaller Dornier 328. That didn't work out in the end either. BACF long ignored it until quite recent times. I really do hope they manage to make a go of it, but the route does have a poor history.

I understand the reason behind the reduced in-flight service on the other BACF routes from BHD is the minimal flight time (especially to Glasgow, it's just 90 nm) meaning what they actually gave a shot to at first proved unworkable. Plus premium class on non-London domestic services has long had little or no uptake. LCY is a particular problem compared to Heathrow because there is no space or ability to have a lounge at LCY for the high end regulars, as was very apparent with the jury-rig they had to do in the departure gate for the premium New York service from there, so to be competitive with Heathrow BACF feel they have to do it on the aircraft, where in all classes it is better than BA Mainline do.

Cautious Optimist
6th Feb 2022, 12:28
Random question, can someone please advise when Belfast Harbour Airport renamed to Belfast City Airport? Thanks.

camperdown9
7th Feb 2022, 06:21
Random question, can someone please advise when Belfast Harbour Airport renamed to Belfast City Airport? Thanks.

I'm sorry I can't tell you exactly when, but I worked for a travel agents in East Belfast from 1990-96. At that time we had to hand write tickets, I don't remember issuing tickets with "Belfast Harbour" but I do remember issuing tickets with "Belfast City". This was usually followed by the passenger asking "is that the international?"

Alex

EI-BUD
7th Feb 2022, 07:25
I'm not entirely sure, but I think this change night have happened when British Midland over from BFS. That would have been 2001. Incidentally that was about the same time as the current terminal opened. That might help.

northsands
7th Feb 2022, 07:54

It would seem to have been around early 1987, or perhaps late 1986.
Winter 86/87 timetables for Manx Airlines and Jersey European Airways, two user airlines at the time, refer to Belfast Harbour Airport.
The Summer 87 timetables for those same airlines use the name Belfast City Airport.
However, another user, Loganair, didn't change the name in its timetable until the January 1988 edition.

Alteagod
17th Feb 2022, 18:47
So the jungle drums around Sydenham Airport are alive that a new carrier is to to be announced soon for BHD. Anyone any thoughts on whom this could be.

cavokblues
17th Feb 2022, 18:55
Flybe 2.0 I would suspect

Sharklet7
17th Feb 2022, 20:30
So the jungle drums around Sydenham Airport are alive that a new carrier is to to be announced soon for BHD. Anyone any thoughts on whom this could be.
Surely there is only one airline this could be......Flybe!!!

Who else could it be? When do we think we might see the announcement? Friday or Monday?

Alteagod
19th Feb 2022, 11:01
I believe tbh its actually as well as Emerald and Flybe unless VY coming back down the road!

Sharklet7
20th Feb 2022, 15:45
Is there a Flybe announcement to be made at Belfast City this week? A return is what we all expect the question is when?

WHBM
20th Feb 2022, 17:01
Has anything opened up at Belfast City ? Whem I came through a few months ago every single facility landside was closed up, and airside almost just the same, with the sole exception of Starbucks, which was doing good business with a substantial queue - and no wonder.

Alteagod
22nd Feb 2022, 16:53
Cafe nero is moving into randox and wh smith is open the odd time landside. Harvest Market still not open airside rest is.

Sharklet7
28th Feb 2022, 09:28
Has anyone heard of any announcements due regarding new routes/operators?

We are getting very close to the start of the summer season and we should expect an announcement regarding who or what will be operating or covering the Aer Lingus regional flights once the current set up (Aer Lingus mainline and Cityflyer aircraft and crews) stops operations.

Cozy F
1st Mar 2022, 20:07
Heard murmurings new BE besides BHX, MAN etc going to target old traditional monopoly regionals from BHD like Aberdeen, Inverness, Southampton, Exeter, Cardiff. Wonder how that might be greeted by new operators established onto these routes now!

Alteagod
2nd Mar 2022, 11:41
There is going to be a bun fight at BHD this year. Regardless of plans the reality is something is going to give with all this competition and not forgetting BFS and Easy. Just remember all the told you so gang. At the core of this are people and there jobs if and or when it falls apart.

cuthere
2nd Mar 2022, 16:23
Emerald Airlines/EI flights being loaded with some on sale. Usual thing with the prices being bonkers. I assume they’ll come down once they get things sorted properly.

Sharklet7
2nd Mar 2022, 16:24
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/980x2000/screenshot_20220302_172321_twitter_b5ef5929d127768a2e29763b8 121294ecc798fc8.jpg

tictack67
2nd Mar 2022, 16:47
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/980x2000/screenshot_20220302_172321_twitter_b5ef5929d127768a2e29763b8 121294ecc798fc8.jpg

Please have the courtesy of crediting these source. It's bad manners not to

Sharklet7
2nd Mar 2022, 17:04
Please have the courtesy of crediting these source. It's bad manners not to
Apologises for that. I've just realised the original source was cut out from the screenshot. This was done in error in my haste to copy and share. No deliberate intention on my part to not share the source

Sharklet7
8th Mar 2022, 22:25
Given we are now into March is it fair to assume that we wont be seeing a return of the golden harp adorned 737s at the city this summer??

Or has anyone heard anything contrary??

Alteagod
9th Mar 2022, 17:56
I would assume never say never, but BCA have new toys to play with so possibly not...but then again who knows.

Sharklet7
13th Mar 2022, 19:54
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/980x2000/screenshot_20220313_193502_twitter_fc9bf5f961e0738a0934a2e15 6c9878e94267fc3.jpg

Sean M on twitter is suggesting that Flybe 2.0 may be planning to operate the BHD to LHR route??

Given the competition and capacity provided by Aer Lingus and British Airways, is there demand or scope for a third operator on the route?

Alteagod
14th Mar 2022, 21:13
Not to mention BACFE to LCY. Good money after bad, but there choice. They will spin it somehow to make it sound like a great idea.

mart901
21st Mar 2022, 23:14
https://www.flybe.com/en/new-routes

allan1987
21st Mar 2022, 23:14
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1062x843/screenshot_20220321_231055_chrome_75337723b8474a22626a3cc77e 7bafbbeffc03fb.jpg
Flybe routes from BHD
Belfast City (BHD) to Birmingham (BHX) From 13th April up to 4x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to Glasgow (GLA From 14th April up to 4x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to Leeds Bradford (LBA) From 28th April up to 3x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to London Heathrow (LHR) From 28th April up to 2x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to Edinburgh (EDI) From 23rd June up to 3x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to East Midlands (EMA) From 7th July up to 2x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to Manchester (MAN) From 7th July up to 4x Daily

Belfast City (BHD) to Southampton (SOU) From 28th July up to 2x Daily

Aberdeen (ABZ) to Belfast City (BHD) From 25th August up to 4x Weekly

Belfast City (BHD) to Inverness (INV) From 25th August up to 4x Weekly

Belfast City (BHD) to Newcastle (NCL) From 25th August Daily

jmdavies86
22nd Mar 2022, 03:34
Flybe routes from BHD

They're either very smart...or incredibly stupid; competition is always interesting to see and I wish them the best of luck.

The only routes that they're not going up directly against another operator will be EMA & NCL.

EI-BUD
24th Mar 2022, 04:34
I think a Cork route could generate some good interest. Pre financial crisis and Manx2 crash, the route had good numbers, though I guess the challenge is that an early morning rotation may be utilised on a UK business type route.

I wish them well but I'm quite sure IAG and even Loganair will mount a significant response.​​​​​

WHBM
24th Mar 2022, 11:00
I think a Cork route could generate some good interest. Pre financial crisis and Manx2 crash, the route had good numbers,.​​​​​
The Manx2 accident aircraft had 10 passengers (of 19 seats), although operating at prime business times, and the route had become established. Seems in fact a bit thin for a Q400 operation.

In passing I recall maybe 15 years ago substantial numbers on business time Dublin-Cork flights; that market seemed to fallen right away, even pre-Covid, as well.

EI-BUD
27th Mar 2022, 09:03
The Manx2 accident aircraft had 10 passengers (of 19 seats), although operating at prime business times, and the route had become established. Seems in fact a bit thin for a Q400 operation.

In passing I recall maybe 15 years ago substantial numbers on business time Dublin-Cork flights; that market seemed to fallen right away, even pre-Covid, as well.
Hi WHBMIn the better times Are Arann used to get good support on an ATR72. The banking and financial crisis which was particularly acute in the Republic of Ireland hit the BHD ORK route hard.

Regarding DUB ORK. This route was once substantial, however a new Dublin Cork motorway renders it unattractive.

WHBM
27th Mar 2022, 16:03
Hi WHBM In the better times Aer Arann used to get good support on an ATR72. The banking and financial crisis which was particularly acute in the Republic of Ireland hit the BHD ORK route hard.
I'm surprised at finance having been significant to the route; the experience at London City was long that, while Edinburgh in particular, and later Glasgow, were good destinations driven by the banking world, Belfast was a basketcase with a succession of failures. The original pre-purple Flybe (might have still been British European) had a shot, initially with a 146, dropped down to the small Dash 8-300, then given up. Scot Airways later had a go with the even smaller Dornier 328, that didn't last either. I went in all of these and load factors over 50% were unusual. BA CityFlyer finally came along with a stronger offering, their frequent flyer base, corporate accounts at least from the London end, and I suspect some diversion from BA Heathrow flights, which finally seems to have cracked it. In the ROI Dublin always appears the centre of the finance industry, so Belfast to Cork does seem off the finance track.

EI-BUD
28th Mar 2022, 15:01
I'm surprised at finance having been significant to the route; the experience at London City was long that, while Edinburgh in particular, and later Glasgow, were good destinations driven by the banking world, Belfast was a basketcase with a succession of failures. The original pre-purple Flybe (might have still been British European) had a shot, initially with a 146, dropped down to the small Dash 8-300, then given up. Scot Airways later had a go with the even smaller Dornier 328, that didn't last either. I went in all of these and load factors over 50% were unusual. BA CityFlyer finally came along with a stronger offering, their frequent flyer base, corporate accounts at least from the London end, and I suspect some diversion from BA Heathrow flights, which finally seems to have cracked it. In the ROI Dublin always appears the centre of the finance industry, so Belfast to Cork does seem off the finance track.
Hi WHBM.
I think you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting that the route was impacted by these industries specifically. I'm talking about one of the greatest banking crises of any developing, which happened in the Republic of Ireland. The country was plunged the country into a crisis that rippled through the whole economy and companies scaled back on travel. It was very acute. The North and UK didn't have a crisis on that scale in relative terms.

cuthere
28th Mar 2022, 22:35
Nope. WHBM understood you perfectly well.

SealinkBF
29th Mar 2022, 04:17
It looks like Loganair has responded, with fares from BHD to INV *including * 23kgs luggage, seat selection, etc at £45, and BHD ABZ at £52. Fares drop to these levels on 24 August...

The difference from their Fly fare to the FlyFlex fare quoted above is £5 (£15 on other routes like BHD DND)

mart901
14th Apr 2022, 05:15
EIR putting more rotations in from winter on BHX,MAN, EDI and LBA that I can see.

Stormonttrooper
14th Apr 2022, 07:15
EIR putting more rotations in from winter on BHX,MAN, EDI and LBA that I can see.
I don't actually remember two airlines going head to head successfully at BHD
Logan and Manx did a few but they were "Airlines of Britain" group so not a true head to head
BA and BMI for a while.
Time will tell but the ones with the spare aircraft if something goes wrong will have the advantage.

BFS101
21st Apr 2022, 23:30
EasyJet have on sale LPL for summer from BHD. Flights start 1st July. Appear daily except Wednesday

Stormonttrooper
10th May 2022, 14:22
Interesting to see the RAF in today doing a few circuits with the M400
The CITY WATCH Group must be bashing out the emails this afternoon

escaped.atco
11th May 2022, 16:14
Interesting to see the RAF in today doing a few circuits with the M400
The CITY WATCH Group must be bashing out the emails this afternoon
Are they still active? I thought they had disbanded after losing a court case a while ago and getting stung with a large legal bill.

Stormonttrooper
11th May 2022, 17:10
Are they still active? I thought they had disbanded after losing a court case a while ago and getting stung with a large legal bill.

Nah!
They seemed to disappear at the same time the former MD at "the perfectly good airport up the road" left
They went or said they were going to the human rights court claiming government oppression. But they are still about. A few changes of leadership and splinter groups.
Their third in command who often knocked on my door telling me the planes would be flying under the electricity pyloris and had health problems because of the planes has passed away and there seemed to be no replacement.
Also the rise of FR24 shot a hole in their arguments about aircraft going to Aldergrove avoided highly populated areas.

WHBM
12th May 2022, 12:50
Considerable Aer Lingus Commuter disorganisation on Tuesday May 10, the based ATR did the first two rotations, then went tech about 1300 at Belfast. Remaining rotations of the day, to Leeds and then Manchester, were just progressively delayed, a substitute ATR was ferried up from Dublin around 1900, but then just ran languidly with one hour-plus turnrounds at each point for some reason, until it arrived back just from the Leeds at 2330. Quite apparent it couldn't do the Manchester rotation as well, but pax from there were just progressively given invented new departure times until at around 2130 it was cancelled, especially annoying as it was after the 2020 Easyjet departure to BFS International.

Wycombe
12th May 2022, 15:20
....and meanwhile Flybe ops seem to be going fairly well (hopefully not the kiss of death!) since the the 4th aircraft came into service last week.

Fares on BHD-BHX (and vice versa) seem fairly high with a few sectors showing sold out over the coming days/weeks, so despite direct competition it looks like this route (at least) is doing ok.

dantheflyboy
25th May 2022, 17:17
Short version is flight cancelled with airline A, new booking with Airline B but with earlier departure on the same date. Parking non change and non refundable! Manage my booking doesn't give me the option to cancel or amend parking. I tried to make new booking but it wouldn't allow as car reg the same as booking held in the system for original parking. Sent airport a message but no reply as yet. Anyone in the know? What do I do next?

SWBKCB
25th May 2022, 17:37
Give them a ring. Worked for me, albiet at a different airport. Need to speak to a person with access to make the change. Otherwise computer will say no

Severn
9th Jun 2022, 06:28
easyJet will start operating 3x weekly flights to BRS from BHD starting 7th September.
The flights will operate We, Fr, Su and will run alongside 22x weekly departures from BFS to BRS

Whilst continuing to operate from their large base in BFS, easyJet restarted operations from BHD last year to LGW and this year to LPL.

During the first week of September, easyJet will operate the following flights from BHD:
LGW - 14x weekly
LPL - 7x weekly
BRS - 3x weekly

During the first week of September, easyJet will also operate the following domestic flights from BFS:
LGW - 39x weekly
GLA - 33x weekly
LPL - 30x weekly
MAN - 30x weekly
LTN - 28x weekly
EDI - 26x weekly
BRS - 22x weekly
BHX - 22x weekly
STN - 20x weekly
NCL - 14x weekly
IOM - 2x weekly
JER - 2x weekly
LBA - 2x weekly

SWBKCB
9th Jun 2022, 06:49
will also operate the following flights to the UK from BFS

So flights from the UK to the UK? :ok:

ara01jbb
9th Jun 2022, 07:55
So flights from the UK to the UK? :ok:

Looks like the border isn't in the Irish Sea, but at 30,000ft above the Irish Sea.

ItsonlyMeagain
9th Jun 2022, 11:57
And just to be pedantic, whilst Belfast is the Capital of one of the 4 nations making up the UK, two of the destinations listed, JER and IOM, are not in the UK at all!

Me

mart901
9th Jun 2022, 15:31
easyJet will start operating 3x weekly flights to BRS from BHD starting 7th September.
The flights will operate We, Fr, Su and will run alongside 22x weekly departures from BFS to BRS

Whilst continuing to operate from their large base in BFS, easyJet restarted operations from BHD last year to LGW and this year to LPL.

During the first week of September, easyJet will operate the following flights from BHD:
LGW - 14x weekly
LPL - 7x weekly
BRS - 3x weekly

During the first week of September, easyJet will also operate the following flights to the UK from BFS:
LGW - 39x weekly
GLA - 33x weekly
LPL - 30x weekly
MAN - 30x weekly
LTN - 28x weekly
EDI - 26x weekly
BRS - 22x weekly
BHX - 22x weekly
STN - 20x weekly
NCL - 14x weekly
IOM - 2x weekly
JER - 2x weekly
LBA - 2x weekly

Obviously very clearly getting in before BE or EIR do because they've had zero interest in BHD-BRS or LPL previously.

EI-BUD
9th Jun 2022, 23:02
So based on the logic that easyJet seem to be following they've been proactive at filling the gaps in the network at BHD before Flybe or Aer Lingus do. My guess would be that LGW came on the back of a good subsidy in the rebuild during covid and did well so they carried it on. With Liverpool and Bristol to follow, that night suggest that the next logical route would be Luton, and at a daily frequency during the day it could compliment LGW very well catering for the more leisure orientated traveller.

Would they dip their toe in the water of mainland Europe? Or is all of this a concerted effort to gain concessions at BFS?

Snr
10th Jun 2022, 18:45
Would they be able to, performance-wise? Genuine question, I'm not sure how performance limited they would be on a hot calm day, but the current A320 flights only go as far as London.

Aaron9890
23rd Jun 2022, 08:41
Hi all,

I went to PMI from BHD last Saturday and I have to say it was a fantastic experience and 1000 times better than using BFS. I really wish it had the capacity to accommodate more european flights as it’s a great little airport.

The airport is clean, fast and convenient for people living in Belfast and the lounge is fantastic for the price you pay per head. If more people had the experience of going through BHD it would appeal a whole lot more.

A limited amount of european flights would work really well, as I do think too many would probably make it lose the appeal of a quick and convenient airport. I wonder if there are any airlines that are tinkering with the idea of adding more European destinations. They always seem to fail when attempted and I don’t see why ☹️

I returned from PMI through BFS and it was a depressing experience. I would pay extra to fly through BHD and I am sure a lot of passengers concur with that view.

mart901
27th Jun 2022, 11:54
https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/Aer-Lingus-Regional-Cardiff-Southampton-Flights

SealinkBF
27th Jun 2022, 13:19
Thats Eastern gone from those routes I would imagine.

SealinkBF
1st Jul 2022, 08:03
Belfast Telegraph reporting at its finest...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/642x145/same_flight_fa470a796ae881322879c3af8adbabfe4df9b70d.jpg

GAZMO
6th Jul 2022, 16:58
Flybe reducing schedule for summer

Flybe suspends three Belfast City Airport routes over summer - BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-62067053)

ATNotts
6th Jul 2022, 19:19
Shame the State broadcaster couldn't manage to use photos of the present incarnation of Flybe in their online report!

DUB19
29th Jul 2022, 22:28
KLM looks to have slashed the AMS flights down to 4x weekly for Sep/Oct. days of operation all over the place.

BHD2BFS
29th Jul 2022, 23:37
It appears Flybe has also dropped Manchester and further reduction in frequency to Glasgow and Leeds.
Does this mean they are struggling to compete with Aer Lingus or is the demand still not there ?

TartinTon
30th Jul 2022, 18:25
It appears Flybe has also dropped Manchester and further reduction in frequency to Glasgow and Leeds.
Does this mean they are struggling to compete with Aer Lingus or is the demand still not there ?

No. It means they haven't got the aircraft they thought they were going to have.

BA318
30th Jul 2022, 20:39
No. It means they haven't got the aircraft they thought they were going to have.

Why not cut it when they cut the other services then?

BHD2BFS
30th Jul 2022, 23:35
That brings the total number of routes cancelled from BHD to 4. Newcastle, Aberdeen, Inverness and now Manchester? Are they moving their concentration away from Belfast ?

Alteagod
31st Jul 2022, 12:44
I thought BE had enough money in the bank to run near empty aircraft for nearly two years...according to what they told everyone at BHD prior to launch. How come BE can't get planes or parts and Emerald apperar to be getting aircraft like they are picking up shopping in tescos.

ATNotts
31st Jul 2022, 13:00
I thought BE had enough money in the bank to run near empty aircraft for nearly two years...according to what they told everyone at BHD prior to launch. How come BE can't get planes or parts and Emerald apperar to be getting aircraft like they are picking up shopping in tescos.
Looks very much as though going for the cheap option in the Dash 8 was a poor decision that is now costing them money.

TartinTon
31st Jul 2022, 15:08
Why not cut it when they cut the other services then?

Because they thought they had an aircraft coming on 25Jul that has been delayed by the lessors

TartinTon
31st Jul 2022, 15:10
That brings the total number of routes cancelled from BHD to 4. Newcastle, Aberdeen, Inverness and now Manchester? Are they moving their concentration away from Belfast ?
They aren't cancelled but postponed until they get the aircraft delivered. There's a difference.....

TartinTon
31st Jul 2022, 15:10
Looks very much as though going for the cheap option in the Dash 8 was a poor decision that is now costing them money.

Not so much the choice of aircraft, more the choice of leasing companies

Una Due Tfc
31st Jul 2022, 15:13
Q400 absolutely guzzles fuel vs the ATR. In the current environment, that’s bound to be hurting. When fuel is cheap, the savings on lower lease rates on thirstier frames often exceed the cost of the excess fuel burn. Quite the opposite when fuel is expensive.

El Bunto
1st Aug 2022, 07:01
Not so much the choice of aircraft, more the choice of leasing companies

Same leasing company as Emerald are using, Nordic Aviation Capital.

wanna
1st Aug 2022, 08:36
Keep in mind who owns Emerald, a very well known and respected aviation professional, who also owns two large MROs, they're in a different league to Flybe and have a lot more weight behind them.

Flybe should have gone for the ATR but De Haviland may well have offered some perks to taking the Dash that on paper made it the sensible choice even though Flybe would have had everything needed to operate the ATR from its previous flirt with the type in the north of Europe.

Alteagod
2nd Aug 2022, 08:51
Not to mention the Emerald flights operate to and from same destination unlike Flybe who seem to go on daily adventures around the highways byways and airports of the UK with little chance of catching up on disruption. There schedule planning does seem overly complicated

El Bunto
2nd Aug 2022, 09:01
Q400 absolutely guzzles fuel vs the ATR. In the current environment, that’s bound to be hurting. When fuel is cheap, the savings on lower lease rates on thirstier frames often exceed the cost of the excess fuel burn. Quite the opposite when fuel is expensive.

You can't just compare paper figures though. The Emerald ATRs are operating in the range FL120 to 170, whereas the BEE Q400s are usually up around FL200 to 240.

El Bunto
2nd Aug 2022, 09:02

You can't just compare paper figures though. The Emerald ATRs are operating in the range FL120 to 170, whereas the BEE Q400s are usually up around FL200 to 240 which is about the optimum for a turboprop.

BA318
2nd Aug 2022, 09:07
Not to mention the Emerald flights operate to and from same destination unlike Flybe who seem to go on daily adventures around the highways byways and airports of the UK with little chance of catching up on disruption. There schedule planning does seem overly complicated

And this is what plenty of people warned on here at the beginning and were told how can they know better than the experts running Flybe2. Choosing to operate W routes around the place and into two of Europe’s busiest airports was always going to a be a risk, especially when your fleet is so tightly scheduled.

wanna
2nd Aug 2022, 13:45
You can't just compare paper figures though. The Emerald ATRs are operating in the range FL120 to 170, whereas the BEE Q400s are usually up around FL200 to 240 which is about the optimum for a turboprop.

In the simplest terms when comparing the two types, its easier to think of a V8 (the Dash) and a 1.2ltr 3 cylinder with a turbo (the ATR). The V8 is fast, the V8 can go higher etc etc but its always going to burn more fuel. The 1.2ltre 3 cylinder, whilst it doesn't have much umf... it can happily sit at 65mph on the motorway sipping fuel. The ATR can go up to FL250 just like the Dash, but runs out of puff usually. The ATR burns significantly less fuel even when the dash is at its optimum... I mean look at the engines...

ItsonlyMeagain
4th Aug 2022, 07:48
Well, as Flybe only started operations in Apr 22, “always” is a big word to describe their aircraft routings.

Me

DUB19
10th Aug 2022, 18:14
KLM have added a flight each Saturday on the BHD-AMS for the winter season so will be daily in November/December dropping to 6x weekly from January to March.

mart901
15th Aug 2022, 22:09
U2 have GLA on sale, from 31.10.22.

True Blue
15th Aug 2022, 22:16
At 3 per week. Are these Ezy flights to Bhd designed to act as a spoiler for others at Bhd or is there a spat going on with Bfs? I see, at the moment, the Brs and LPL routes do not continue beyond the end of the summer timetable.

EI-BUD
15th Aug 2022, 23:04
At 3 per week. Are these Ezy flights to Bhd designed to act as a spoiler for others at Bhd or is there a spat going on with Bfs? I see, at the moment, the Brs and LPL routes do not continue beyond the end of the summer timetable.
TrueBlue, I think you could be onto something here. I'm sure easyJet are none too pleased that Ryanair are coming back to BFS. To date the routes added at BHD have very much been filling in the gaps at BHD to cities where easyJet itself already has a route ex BFS. I think the current routes will be extended albeit at low frequencies. These routes are generally late booking markets so there is plenty of time for them to be added to the schedule.

CabinCrewe
16th Aug 2022, 18:16
Yeah deffo more to it than true demand. 3/wk no real use. Lets see what comes of it

True Blue
16th Aug 2022, 18:24
Splitting services between airports like this can leave one airport with a poor service and the other with a reduced service. So we will have Lgw from Bhd at twice daily, with on some days Bfs to Lgw reduced from 7 to 5. On many of the days when 7 flights would have been the norm, we now see maybe 6. Had these all been from Bfs, we could have seen maybe 8 daily on the best days. At that number, you could have a really good service. But no, lets put on a service that is average for all.

AndrewH52
16th Aug 2022, 18:37

Liverpool now on sale until the end of the winter season at up to 7 per week.

mart901
22nd Aug 2022, 10:42
BE MAN back on sale 3x daily from winter timetable

mart901
20th Sep 2022, 21:25
BE - IOM has been loaded 6x weekly for winter, no prices yet.

Alteagod
20th Sep 2022, 21:54
I think it's the LHR route now going via IOM.

euromanxdude
20th Sep 2022, 22:20
I think it's the LHR route now going via IOM.

it’s BHD-IOM change of flight number then IOM-LHR

shamrock7seal
1st Oct 2022, 09:41
Eastern is stopping their SOU flights, no surprise at all, doesn’t need 3 carriers on the route

dantheflyboy
1st Oct 2022, 11:25
Anyone know why Aerlingus Birmingham flight has a 7+ hour delay? Few aircraft movements so surely not due Tech aircraft. Staff shortage? Highly unusual delay for them.

DUB19
1st Oct 2022, 11:35
Anyone know why Aerlingus Birmingham flight has a 7+ hour delay? Few aircraft movements so surely not due Tech aircraft. Staff shortage? Highly unusual delay for them.

EI-GPO flew BHD-GLA last night but the return was cancelled and the aircraft is still on the ground there so I assume it’s probably something to do with that.

dantheflyboy
1st Oct 2022, 13:30
Thanks

Sharklet7
1st Oct 2022, 21:15
Has anyone heard any more about the potential withdrawal of Aer Lingus from BHD?? Understand with the new requirements from the CAA its AL's preference to not operate from Belfast

TartinTon
1st Oct 2022, 21:40
Has anyone heard any more about the potential withdrawal of Aer Lingus from BHD?? Understand with the new requirements from the CAA its AL's preference to not operate from Belfast

What new requirements @Sharket7? And do they apply to Emerald as well as EI as all services are operated by Emerald?

allan1987
1st Oct 2022, 21:53
What I heard from another site is that

EI is closing down their Belfast crew base at the end of October . Belfast Flight Crew have been offered long haul flights from Dublin to allow them to commute from Belfast.

Emerald to remain unaffected at the moment but have the same issue of not having a UK AOC

I have noticed that EI-GZY on jethroseu is going to be go on UK AOC and will be registered G-CMJN

ECR
2nd Oct 2022, 18:09
What I heard from another site is that

EI is closing down their Belfast crew base at the end of October . Belfast Flight Crew have been offered long haul flights from Dublin to allow them to commute from Belfast.

Emerald to remain unaffected at the moment but have the same issue of not having a UK AOC

I have noticed that EI-GZY on jethroseu is going to be go on UK AOC and will be registered G-CMJN
I thought Aer Lingus had got a UK AOC for their Manchester long haul operation. Would they not be able to use this for their Belfast flights if they wanted to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus_UK

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/105662-aer-linguss-british-unit-secures-aoc

Alteagod
3rd Oct 2022, 09:16
Is it closing or stopping for w22/23. Will BA add extra LHR rotations?

WHBM
3rd Oct 2022, 13:44
I thought Aer Lingus had got a UK AOC for their Manchester long haul operation. Would they not be able to use this for their Belfast flights if they wanted to?
I guess they would then have to put one (or more) A320s onto that UK AOC, an issue in its own right and one which reduces fleet flexibility.

I do wonder though how it is only an issue now, and not before from the day of the end of EU membership.

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Oct 2022, 16:44
Given Aer Lingus are today still selling LHR-BHD into Nov "Operated by Aer Lingus" using the current EI flight nos, is this route dropping confirmed? Or is it a case of dates TBC?

Downwind_Left
3rd Oct 2022, 18:26
Given Aer Lingus are today still selling LHR-BHD into Nov "Operated by Aer Lingus" using the current EI flight nos, is this route dropping confirmed? Or is it a case of dates TBC?

The rumour was closure of the Aer Lingus (Ireland) Belfast pilot base. No speculation about dropping the route.

Just a potential change of AOC.

Aer Lingus (UK) is a separate subsidiary, so there wouldn’t be an automatic transfer of the local pilots, unless of course they want to transfer over and have/are prepared to get a UK license.

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Oct 2022, 19:04
Actually the rumour I heard was Aer Lingus were dropping it for BA. No point in having one G- A320 flying BHD-LHR with no economies of scale. So no change in sight yet it seems.

Husky One
3rd Oct 2022, 20:11
Aer Lingus don’t have a BHD pilot base. They shut it down ages ago. BHD is crewed from DUB but with local cabin crew.
Aer Lingus UK has its registered ‘office’ in BHD albeit a broom cupboard somewhere. They could easily transfer 320’s to the UK aoc and may do so with the LR’s for MAN as the 330’s might be going back to DUB.
I’ll be sorry to see the back of them if they leave the LHR route as BA are expensive and unreliable. EI do a far superior service on it.

El Bunto
6th Oct 2022, 13:39
Emerald Airlines UK Ltd made its first appearance 05 Oct, AT76 G-CMJN ( ex EI-GZY ) training between Ronaldsway, Belfast City and Southampton.

ICAO designator: EAG
RT callsign: GREENSTONE

ESCNI
10th Oct 2022, 13:17
Are easyJet closing their Belfast City/Liverpool route?

At the moment, there is nothing available after the end of March ... in fact, apart from Gatwick, all of their other routes are unavailable.

tigertanaka
11th Oct 2022, 00:07
Easyjet often use BFS<>UK as a filler route to keep aircraft utilisation high. It could be that the BFS routes will be added in when the European route timetable is finalised.

ItsonlyMeagain
11th Oct 2022, 06:45
Never seen a BFS to BHD route before!

We are talking about Belfast City here, not Belfast International.

And, in any case both are in the UK which includes other bits, not just England.

Me

Alteagod
11th Oct 2022, 10:51
Gillair used to.operate BFS To BHD

northsands
11th Oct 2022, 13:11
Gillair used to.operate BFS To BHD

Indeed they did, during 1999, with the 20min sector even appearing in their printed timetables.
CAA stats recorded as many as 16 such local pax for the whole of 1999 !
Operated as part of a combined ATR72 service between NCL and both Belfast airports.
Will it be U2 or BE who revive it first? !

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/959x992/img20221011_13462033_011c97868ad6124a5ad1bea0aeca9de1db2f0ca 4.jpg

Alteagod
12th Oct 2022, 07:08
I think also at one point the positioning ex skynet royal mail aircraft in the morning and evening too and from BHD also at one point was sold as commercial flight.

ExoticSkier
12th Oct 2022, 08:56
If such a repositioning flight was to return, the airline operating could encourage schools to use it for a careers day trip, inspire those who dream of becoming a flight crew or just want a career in the airport environment.

SealinkBF
14th Oct 2022, 12:27

Aer Lingus | Aer Lingus Latest News - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/topics/aer-lingus-41710526/)

Aer Lingus flights from Belfast-London to be axed
It’s believed the decision to remove the long-standing route is connected to Aer Lingus’s air operators certificate expiring at the end of October.

mart901
14th Oct 2022, 13:26
Aer Lingus | Aer Lingus Latest News - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk (https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/topics/aer-lingus-41710526/)

It’s believed the decision to remove the long-standing route is connected to Aer Lingus’s air operators certificate expiring at the end of October.

On the upside, EIR launching Newquay and Jersey next year

El Bunto
14th Oct 2022, 17:22

Now corrected to "temporarily suspending". Given that they don't have an AOC that can expire this month, that makes more sense.

Illustrated with a photo of Dublin airport, if that gives you further confidence in the reporting.

DUB19
20th Oct 2022, 15:27
Emerald look to be making a number of frequency changes on their BHD routes next summer.

MAN - 33x weekly
BHX - 26x weekly
EDI - 22x weekly
GLA - 13x weekly
SOU - 13x weekly
LBA - 12x weekly
EXT - 7x weekly
CWL - 7x weekly
NQY - 4x weekly
JER - 2x weekly

BHD2BFS
20th Oct 2022, 20:43
Interested to see why Leeds has 2 departures a day from Belfast but 3 return flights each day

aapeters
21st Oct 2022, 07:43
LBA Frequencies doesn't look correct

GAZMO
21st Oct 2022, 15:40
Follow up to DUB19 comment above and Ossy below. Hopefully got my figures correct
Large number of seats when you include those at BFS and LDY as well. Will they all survive??

BHD-MAN - 33x weekly (EIR)
BFS - MAN (FR) 14xweekly (from March23)
BFS -MAN (EZY) 29xweekly
LDY-MAN (FR) 3 weekly until end March 23 at moment
BHD - MAN (BEE) 19xweekly - currently to end March

BHD-BHX - 26x weekly (EIR)
BFS - BHX (EZY) 22xweekly
BHD-BHX - (BEE) 14xweekly currently to end March

BHD-EDI - 22x weekly (EIR)
BFS-EDI (FR) 7xweekly (from March23)
BFS-EDI (EZY) 26xweekly
BHD to EDI - (BEE) 7xweekly currently to end March

OzzyOzBorn
22nd Oct 2022, 00:27
FlyBe is selling seats on their BHD-MAN schedules as well.

mart901
1st Nov 2022, 13:46
BE have NCL on daily from Monday coming.....

Sharklet7
1st Nov 2022, 19:46
Does anyone understand the approach that Flybe appear to be taking with regards their choice of routes etc? It seems a little sporadic perhaps.
It seems they announce routes and test the demand and then pull the route if demand insufficient!? For example the proposed Isle of Man operations, which was pulled and then their Newcastle operations be announced with only a weeks notice.....doesn't seem long enough to allow significant numbers of bookings to be made for them.........just my observations, anyone else think the same or provide any explanation for their business model and route choices?!

Cozy F
1st Nov 2022, 20:05
Someone got a shiny new Winmau and a set of arrows dropped off early by Saint Nick - and they’re all having a go to see what they can hit!!

Alteagod
1st Nov 2022, 20:35
It just beggers believe to think there is any strategic planning behind any of this. I really really do fear for its future and don't forget the people they employ

dantheflyboy
4th Nov 2022, 09:15
Why the sudden raft of cancelled flights? I thought that was flybe's job.

BHD2BFS
4th Nov 2022, 12:43
Just seen all the cancelled flights
anyone know why ?

CabinCrewe
4th Nov 2022, 15:26
Just seen all the cancelled flights
anyone know why ?
Wayward Chinese rocket in Atlantic airspace ?

Alteagod
4th Nov 2022, 17:57
F*** it Friday maybe?

DUB19
11th Nov 2022, 16:27
The ACL slot report shows that Lufthansa have gained the slots to operate BHD-FRA next summer.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZGI0Y2E1MzEtNjhhMi00MzljLWFkYjEtMjczYWI2NGUzO TRiIiwidCI6ImJhNzNmYjViLWM1ZWUtNGNiNy04NzFjLWU4YjI0NWQwYjY3Y iJ9&pageName=ReportSection

DUB19
25th Nov 2022, 15:10
Belfast now showing as a destination on the Lufthansa website. Previously it showed ‘No results’ when searching for Belfast in the search bar.

BFS101
9th Dec 2022, 14:44
Good news for BHD. TUI to operate a weekly PMI during summer 2023 using a BA Cityflyer 190, Saturday mornings from 10 June to 26 August. Also Easyjet increasing capacity to BRS to 4 weekly summer 2023 and LPL up to 13 Weekly. Both credited to SeanM twitter.

GrahamK
9th Dec 2022, 14:52
Belfast now showing as a destination on the Lufthansa website. Previously it showed ‘No results’ when searching for Belfast in the search bar.

Yes, Belfast International though :ok:

BHD2BFS
9th Dec 2022, 23:11
Interesting move by TUI especially for a summer season flight.
I know they have done ski in the past.
Could this be the start of several new routes?
I always find their very short flying schedule from Bfs in the summer strange. Only 5 months of operation and even at that it isn't a full 5 months
If they where to place metal in BHD or even a W pattern schedule they good operate near 50% of their network from the city and use EZY seats for the rest from BFS.
In fact if they use BA city flyer for the rest correct me if I am wrong but they could cover the entire network (excluding Orlando) I believe the E190 can reach the canaries and Greece

allnamestaken1
10th Dec 2022, 09:48
Interesting move by TUI especially for a summer season flight.
I know they have done ski in the past.
Could this be the start of several new routes?
I always find their very short flying schedule from Bfs in the summer strange. Only 5 months of operation and even at that it isn't a full 5 months
If they where to place metal in BHD or even a W pattern schedule they good operate near 50% of their network from the city and use EZY seats for the rest from BFS.
In fact if they use BA city flyer for the rest correct me if I am wrong but they could cover the entire network (excluding Orlando) I believe the E190 can reach the canaries and Greece
Well it's hardly a strange move at all,focus your mind to pre covid Tui have infact operated a Palma service before from that airport,the same airline/tour operator has infact signed new contract to operate using there own aircraft from Bfs for a few more years yet.

mart901
10th Dec 2022, 10:51
Well it's hardly a strange move at all,focus your mind to pre covid Tui have infact operated a Palma service before from that airport,the same airline/tour operator has infact signed new contract to operate using there own aircraft from Bfs for a few more years yet.

Will that be with based sunwing again? I was under the impression that was coming to an end and TUI would W in or similar on a reduced basis.

On the BA/PMI looking at the times they are definitely separate from the top-flight ones, its likely the same aircraft doing a double run.

DUB19
13th Dec 2022, 18:17
According to Cool FM on Twitter, BHD will be announcing a new route/airline tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/newsoncool/status/1602734014166614016?s=46&t=xrIKA1LXaCdUfc6yOl-gQw

Alteagod
13th Dec 2022, 20:33
Frankfurt 4 times a week?

BHD2BFS
13th Dec 2022, 21:12
Belfast international is showing on their website

CabinCrewe
14th Dec 2022, 08:19
the biggest non-secret of them all! LH becoming quite the KLM to the regions.
Really needs to be at least daily to work.

ESCNI
14th Dec 2022, 08:41
News from Frankfurt
Lufthansa flies to the Northern Irish capital Belfast four times a week with the flight number LH1528, linking the region with Lufthansa's large network.

Lufthansa Press (https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsroom/releases/lufthansa-5200-connections-more-to-205-destinations-in-summer-2023.html)

virginblue
14th Dec 2022, 09:56
the biggest non-secret of them all! LH becoming quite the KLM to the regions.
Really needs to be at least daily to work.

Not really. KLM has much better connectivity.

cuthere
14th Dec 2022, 11:45
Yes, Belfast International though :ok:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-city-airport-welcome-new-25748032.amp
:ok:

BACsuperVC10
14th Dec 2022, 12:32
LH have done a good job with their LPL-FRA link, I'm sure they will do the same from BHD.

True Blue
14th Dec 2022, 17:43
They (LH) are still showing Belfast International on their site.

Alteagod
14th Dec 2022, 18:58
The fares are mental price

TartinTon
14th Dec 2022, 20:02
The fares are mental price

Quite a common occurrence for non-UK network carriers. All they are really interested in is feeding the hub. The point-to-point traffic is a secondary market for them. Alternatively it could be that as new flights, their RM department has yet to set the flights up properly.

Time will tell...

SealinkBF
15th Dec 2022, 15:10
They (LH) are still showing Belfast International on their site.

Website allows you to choose BFS but then shows no route. BHD doesn't work! Great.

SealinkBF
15th Dec 2022, 15:18
Aer Lingus considering axing BHD - LHR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63986215

"As an EU carrier, regulatory changes arising from the withdrawal of the UK from the EU, have had an impact on Aer Lingus' traffic rights as a carrier within the UK market and, in particular, on the operation by Aer Lingus of the Belfast-London Heathrow route.

"Despite constructive discussions with the relevant authorities in the UK, we have, to date, been unable to identify a viable solution.

"We have therefore advised our Belfast-based staff of the likelihood that we will have to cease our Belfast-London Heathrow operation (which we have operated for 15 years), with effect from 26 March 2023, leading to the closure of our Belfast base."

Alteagod
16th Dec 2022, 04:26
Possibly pressure from IAG rather than EI own decision

tictack67
16th Dec 2022, 05:27
Possibly pressure from IAG rather than EI own decision

I think you'll find that it's Brexit.

Aer Lingus can't operate EU reg aircraft within UK.

See Manchester to Orlando Ops.

Hial Flyer
16th Dec 2022, 07:19
I think you'll find that it's Brexit.

Aer Lingus can't operate EU reg aircraft within UK.

See Manchester to Orlando Ops.

So why cant they use Aer Lingus UK to operate the flights then? They already have a UK AOC. Think this is more an IAG request but blamed on Brexit.

tictack67
16th Dec 2022, 07:29
So why cant they use Aer Lingus UK to operate the flights then? They already have a UK AOC. Think this is more an IAG request but blamed on Brexit.

It was the UKs decision to leave.

Obviously alot if effort to reg register a/c etc
Don't see why the should have too, anyway BA as you say can do

SWBKCB
16th Dec 2022, 07:54

Because they'd have to pluck A/C and crew out of the EI mainline fleet, which gives you scheduling problems (see EI UK and their A330's). Can't see what any cunning IAG plan would gain them?

waffler
16th Dec 2022, 08:00
I believe it cost Aer Lingus around £100,000 to put each 330 on the British register.
At Belfast, they need only 1 320 for the current schedule.
With the additional cost of each pilot go through the CAA layers of bureaucracy to obtain a UK Licience and an Operators Conversion Course which means that they cannot fly an EI registered aircraft so new pilots are required when the aircraft is replaced for maintenance.
I’m sure that Aer Lingus have decided that the aircraft can make more money elsewhere.
its another own goal for Brexit where the only winners are the Caa’s coffers, not the consumers.

EI-BUD
19th Dec 2022, 22:23
BHD LHR
Sad to see Aer Lingus having to axe BHD/LHR route. This had come into its own and was sustaining good loads in recent few years.

As I understand multiple solutions had been proposed, but the solutions proposed were not acceptable. There are no 320s on the Aer Lingus UK register and putting one into the register wasnt workable as no back up plane could viably have been put on the register to cover maintenance and tech issues. There were a myriad of crewing issues associated with Dublin based and contacted crews. Brexit hasn't been kind in some ways, this is an example.

mart901
20th Dec 2022, 16:56
BE have summer 2023 on sale. Might be interesting seeing BHX playing out with 4x daily, EIR 4x daily and EZY up to 5x daily from BFS, if of course all these flights actually operate!

El Bunto
26th Dec 2022, 12:12
BA A320 G-EUUC has been operating Aer Lingus' rotations to Heathrow on EUK callsign since 24 December. Significant? Don't know yet...

BA318
26th Dec 2022, 13:51
BA A320 G-EUUC has been operating Aer Lingus' rotations to Heathrow on EUK callsign since 24 December. Significant? Don't know yet...

Its a wet lease because of the widely reported brexit issues. The route ends at the end of March.

Alteagod
26th Dec 2022, 14:19
The aircraft swop a couple times a week with the BA Mainline aircraft

Skipness One Foxtrot
26th Dec 2022, 17:51
#avgeeky note, the BA Shuttle callsigns have returned to the same format as the original 1990s for BFS, with SHT4* / 5*. Yeah, I am ancient.
4/5 BFS
6/7 GLA
8/9 EDI and later on
12/13 NCL
14/15 changed 18/19 ABZ
16/17 INV

Wycombe
26th Dec 2022, 21:43
#avgeeky note, the BA Shuttle callsigns have returned to the same format as the original 1990s for BFS, with SHT4* / 5*. Yeah, I am ancient.
4/5 BFS
6/7 GLA
8/9 EDI and later on
12/13 NCL
14/15 changed 18/19 ABZ
16/17 INV
You forgot SHT 2*/3* for MAN!

Skipness One Foxtrot
26th Dec 2022, 21:58
I refer you to my previous post, "I am ancient". 😅
Quite right, my bad!

PinOnTheRight
27th Dec 2022, 08:36
4/5 BFS
6/7 GLA
8/9 EDI and later on
12/13 NCL
14/15 changed 18/19 ABZ
16/17 INV

Bring back the BMA6FP and 9XF :)

JonnyH
27th Dec 2022, 10:40
I believe it cost Aer Lingus around £100,000 to put each 330 on the British register.
At Belfast, they need only 1 320 for the current schedule.
With the additional cost of each pilot go through the CAA layers of bureaucracy to obtain a UK Licience and an Operators Conversion Course which means that they cannot fly an EI registered aircraft so new pilots are required when the aircraft is replaced for maintenance.
I’m sure that Aer Lingus have decided that the aircraft can make more money elsewhere.
its another own goal for Brexit where the only winners are the Caa’s coffers, not the consumers.

If this is correct, it’s begs the question about how this doesn’t affect Ryanair? Yes, Ryanair have UK entities, but virtually all of their UK based aircraft are EI regs. I cannot imagine those figures are correct unless FR know something other airlines don’t!

SWBKCB
27th Dec 2022, 14:14
Exactly the same rules apply to Ryanair. The EI a/c are EU registered a/c operating flights between the EU and UK - the 'base' of the a/c is irrelevant. If you want to fly domestic routes in the UK or flights from the UK to countries outside the EU you need to be a UK airline.

Rutan16
27th Dec 2022, 18:13
Exactly the same rules apply to Ryanair. The EI a/c are EU registered a/c operating flights between the EU and UK - the 'base' of the a/c is irrelevant. If you want to fly domestic routes in the UK or flights from the UK to countries outside the EU you need to be a UK airline.

None UK- EU must use Ryanair UK aircraft as must any domestic route - Basically Morocco and Norway . A few UK - Eire flights are also operated by Ryanair UK aircraft.

Almost all Eastern European routes use Buzz aircraft inbound to the UK.

Ryanair Uk May lease a small amount of EI registered capacity ( primarily from Manchester and Stansted ) on an adhoc basis - think there is a capacity limit but don’t have a citation handy.

However much of the UK operations are “scheduled inbound” for operational ( Brexit) reasons operated by Maltese and Irish aircraft ( none officially based ) alomg with Lauda aircraft based within the EU on a very close to the rules basis.

Easy have a more obvious split with three differing fleets for within the EU ( and some inbound to the UK) a UK fleet now fully under CAA rules, and a part ownership of Easyswiss allowing flights from Switzerland to The EU, UK, Israel and Morocco.

It is without doubt there has been a major impact (bureaucratic ,negative and certainly financial ) on the effective airline operations from and to the GBNI since existing the EU free sky area.

BHD2BFS
28th Dec 2022, 19:34
Does anyone know if easyJet have increased their operation in BHD for summer 23? They appear to have 4 flight a day most days of the week

Alteagod
28th Dec 2022, 19:49
I believe most routes going double daily on EZY

Cozy F
28th Dec 2022, 20:45
Yep. EZY trying to keep command of as much of the U.K. market from Belfast as possible by spliting ops between airports and plugging gaps, but FR now on 5 GB routes from BFS - and with fleet growth Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Luton etc set to come on stream too, so EZY will likely either have to nail their colours or get even more complicated about their Belfast flying.

mart901
28th Dec 2022, 21:05
Yep. EZY trying to keep command of as much of the U.K. market from Belfast as possible by spliting ops between airports and plugging gaps, but FR now on 5 GB routes from BFS - and with fleet growth Liverpool, Newcastle, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Luton etc set to come on stream too, so EZY will likely either have to nail their colours or get even more complicated about their Belfast flying.

EZY are fully committed to BFS in particular and the Belfast market in general. I wouldn't fancy the chances of FR lasting 2 year's even. The passengers here are very loyal to EZY, remember last time they ramped up capacity and stuck it out till FR buckled. The BHD operation is basically there to keep the competition off key routes like BRS, LPL.
I'm not the world's biggest fan of EZY but they've stuck loyal to Belfast, can't take that from them.

True Blue
28th Dec 2022, 21:21
The issue for Ezy operating from both airports is that the service is compromised from both. This winter, for example, Ezy are offering 1 flight on a Saturday between Lpl and Bfs. I have used that service in previous years when there was 4/5 flights on a Saturday. Weekday services also reduced, the same has happened with the Lgw route. In fact, they have reduced Lpl to such an extent that I could see them providing an opening for Fr on that route. I know that Ezy has also said that they will limit flights this winter to limit losses, so that fares are driven up, but it seems to me that by operating to both airports, you end up with less than satisfactory results on routes to both airports.

Cozy F
28th Dec 2022, 22:13
TB - a mess all round. But EZY vexing about keeping the likes of Stobart, Flybe off LPL BRS rather than just concentrating product and blowing them away as on previous occasions has opened the door to FR at BFS, with lower taxes than before. LPL has been ezy’s route for years but their misplaced direction will likely mean imminent real competition from FR. And yes, punters know easyJet, but price is the order of the day. Ezy won’t compete on that longer term with FR.

BHD2BFS
28th Dec 2022, 23:15
Just looking at their website a GLA 3 times a week and BRS 4 times a week isn't very attractive
regarding pricing they have lpl on sale for £16 each way with some return trips coming in at just £32 it's bound to pull the numbers

SouthernAlliance
3rd Jan 2023, 19:48
BA 321neo operating LHR this evening, has this been used before?

DUB19
7th Jan 2023, 16:03
KLM have added a second AMS flight Mon-Fri for July/August 2023 on the E195-E2. New flight departs BHD @13.25

Alteagod
10th Jan 2023, 14:24
I would have thought an earlier departure time but I'm sure the airline boffins know best

DUB19
30th Jan 2023, 07:44
EMA now listed as a destination from BHD on the aerlingus website

mart901
28th Feb 2023, 18:40
New Aer Lingus Regional route from Cork to Bristol (rte.ie) (https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0228/1359326-new-cork-route-to-bristol/)

SWBKCB
28th Feb 2023, 18:44
And for anybody wondering...

Emerald Airlines, which operates the Aer Lingus Regional service, has announced a new route from Cork Airport to Bristol in the UK. The airline also said today it would start a new service linking Belfast City with the Isle of Man. The new Cork-Bristol route will start on April 28 and will operate daily six times a week. The new Belfast-Isle of Man route will start on April 24. It will operate five times a week, increasing to six weekly flights for the peak Summer months.

mart901
28th Feb 2023, 18:56
And for anybody wondering...
Cheers, it doesn't look the same once posted and any other links required a subscription! Trying to multitask, poor idea 😂

allnamestaken1
14th Mar 2023, 21:19
Turned up tonight to drop people off going to Heathrow drop off charge £3,wonder will Aldergrove be introducing same charge to drop off.

ECR
15th Mar 2023, 10:25
Turned up tonight to drop people off going to Heathrow drop off charge £3,wonder will Aldergrove be introducing same charge to drop off.

The free 10 minutes is now in the Long Stay Car Park. I can see this causing chaos and making it a very unpleasant experience for anyone parking in the Long Stay Car Park if it gets bunged up with queues of cars dropping off and picking up.

https://www.belfastcityairport.com/Drop-Off-and-Pick-Up

https://www.belfastcityairport.com/news/Site-Access-Reconfigeration-Works-Complete

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-city-airport-free-parking-relocated-as-new-charges-introduced-for-drop-off-area/1644758796.html

Noxegon
15th Mar 2023, 13:23

You must have found a cheaper Heathrow than the one most of us use. The drop off fee is £5 – highway robbery.

SealinkBF
15th Mar 2023, 14:13
You must have found a cheaper Heathrow than the one most of us use. The drop off fee is £5 – highway robbery.

They were flying from Belfast City to Heathrow so the drop off was for Belfast City Airport

Alteagod
15th Mar 2023, 18:00
It will be carnage. Long stay is far far to far away from terminal to be a viable alternative. People will just park on Bypass. Not well thought out at all. Do we even have double red lines anywhere else in NI ?

escaped.atco
16th Mar 2023, 17:33
Went through this a few weeks ago before the charge. Whoever thought up the layout, should say planned but this obviously wasn't, has either been drunk or has let their kids loose with a crayon and a blank sheet of paper. To drive 100yds off the bypass, reach a roundabout and drive straight back out again the opposite direction but turn before the exit is crazy. The actual drop off section when I was there reminded me of a go kart course, lots of sharp turns and confusing signs. The whole enterprise is a reasonable idea I think, it seems to be the way of all airports now however the design of this is amateurish. A really good example for other airports to study in the category of "How not to design an efficient road layout". I would imagine a lot of people will just drop off either on the bypass or head towards the long stay and drop off at the goods yard entrance.

ESCNI
17th Mar 2023, 12:39
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1425x466/belfast_city_airport_free_drop_off_point_1f09c70e969c644f9e4 3655428285809d6688887.png
:rolleyes:

DUB19
18th Mar 2023, 11:16
BHD-FRA on sale for Winter 23/24 4x weekly E190

EI-BUD
19th Mar 2023, 01:03
BA 321neo operating LHR this evening, has this been used before?
Yes, a number of times. Not frequently though.

Stormonttrooper
19th Mar 2023, 08:54
[QUOTE=escaped.atco;11403389]Went through this a few weeks ago before the charge. Whoever thought up the layout, should say planned but this obviously wasn't, has either been drunk or has let their kids loose with a crayon and a blank sheet of paper.

​​​​​​If you think that's bad !

The pedestrian walkway from the front takes you down towards the old Eastern apron then if you can get past the cars parked across the path, must be a staff carpark
its cross the road back the same way past the security gate and along a narrow path that is just wide enough for single file

Alteagod
19th Mar 2023, 17:15
I think LH need to have a word with themselves about there prices. Seem very steep but at least they operating over winter.

Skipness One Foxtrot
19th Mar 2023, 23:28
I note you can walk to and exit the gate to the bridge for the railway line but it's exit only. Arrivals need to phone for a bus or walk along the pavement by the road? I guess this is because of local low level crime?
It's not ideal if you are unfamiliar or pressed for time.

BA318
20th Mar 2023, 13:48
I think LH need to have a word with themselves about there prices. Seem very steep but at least they operating over winter.

If it just went on sale it could be only high fares loaded at the moment which is common when a flight just goes on sale. Otherwise it's probably a good sign that demand is high enough to charge those prices.

mart901
20th Mar 2023, 17:20
BHX going up to 5x daily from July

OltonPete
20th Mar 2023, 19:44
BHX going up to 5x daily from July

Yes disappointing about the delay but I assume it is waiting for available aircraft. I doubt they would have taken many bookings for the period from 28 April until the end of June as the 5th service was only on sale since the beginning of March.

The BHX press release was quite clever, mentioning the 5th service but it neglected to mention from what date and I assume they knew something was about to change.

Pete

fanrailuk
20th Mar 2023, 22:15
https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1637928785340166147?s=46&t=3eix0BTK7C13J3FoL3oePQ

fanrailuk
20th Mar 2023, 22:16
https://twitter.com/seanm1997/status/1637928547888275456?s=46&t=3eix0BTK7C13J3FoL3oePQ

EI-BUD
21st Mar 2023, 05:42
easyJet have been quite clever in filling the gaps from BHD. The obvious gaps that Aer Lingus Regional might logically have filled, examples Liverpool and Bristol.

I would have been my guess that Gatwick can't about as a result of the incentive scheme that came about during covid. Beyond that I was surprised to see Manchester, Glasgow and Luton.

Given that many of the routes are less than daily (e.g. MAN/LTN at 1-3-5-7) make me wonder is this due to some offer by BHD in desperation or a punishment by easyJet to BFS for attracting Ryanair in which goes live next week.

While it's good to see extra routes at any airport, the limited frequency suggests not going to add up to much while limits the potential for other carriers to come in. It would be real progress for the airport if they could attract easyJet to do a Paris or sun route, these could easily be achieved by doing a W from one of the UK hubs like LPL. I'd be quite sure BHD have tried

Flightrider
21st Mar 2023, 07:04
It is such a shame that BHD are so hell-bent on chasing short-term recovery in passenger volumes that they are unable to see the likely long-term consequences of this. A very limited easyJet offering still has the effect of depressing average fares and passenger volumes across competing operators' routes at BHD, enabling easyJet to effectively control the entire Belfast market whilst keeping the core of its operation at Belfast International. It is short-sighted in the extreme for BHD to play along with that agenda, of which the airport management appears unable to comprehend the probable consequences.

SWBKCB
21st Mar 2023, 08:01
This presumes BHD are offering EZY incentives in some form? If not, then EZY can just rock up and operate the services that make sense for them.

BHD2BFS
21st Mar 2023, 10:04
Friday evenings in the summer will be interesting when they have 3 aircraft on the ground at the same time around 16:30. Does the airport have space ?

True Blue
21st Mar 2023, 13:40
So Ezy to base an aircraft at Bhd from late June. I think the wonderful easy to get through airport is about to disappear for something a lot more crowded.

GSM763
21st Mar 2023, 14:08
So Ezy to base an aircraft at Bhd from late June. I think the wonderful easy to get through airport is about to disappear for something a lot more crowded.
Are they? The MAN flights look like a w-pattern on an LTN based aircraft, rather than a BHD based plane.

True Blue
21st Mar 2023, 14:25
Check the app to Lgw from late June.

EI-BUD
21st Mar 2023, 14:29
This presumes BHD are offering EZY incentives in some form? If not, then EZY can just rock up and operate the services that make sense for them.
They'd most likely have to get some inventions and to be fair easyJet are in a string bargaining position. Likelihood is that they are on a volume discount at BFS. Genuine x no. of pax and get y discount. So shifting capacity to BHD that BFS could have enjoyed would be detrimental to achieving their targets/ volume discounts at BFS.
My bet would be that they've been handsomely compensated by BHD...

EI-BUD
21st Mar 2023, 14:33
Check the app to Lgw from late June.
Well spotted Trueblue. I note that the flights are marked as sold out. There is no commercial sense for easyJet having an Airbus parked from 21:30 at night at BHD, in summer especially doing a flight say from Gatwick to a sun spot , returning much later will be far more commercially attractive. If this is true, relations may be poor at BFS ..

True Blue
21st Mar 2023, 18:44
Ezy already quite a number of flights that ran late and broke the curfew, will be a lot worse when this increase in flights gets going.

Stormonttrooper
21st Mar 2023, 20:36
Ezy already quite a number of flights that ran late and broke the curfew, will be a lot worse when this increase in flights gets going.

Broke the curfew ?
Which one ?

mart901
21st Mar 2023, 21:42
Well spotted Trueblue. I note that the flights are marked as sold out. There is no commercial sense for easyJet having an Airbus parked from 21:30 at night at BHD, in summer especially doing a flight say from Gatwick to a sun spot , returning much later will be far more commercially attractive. If this is true, relations may be poor at BFS ..

The commercial sense is the rich pickings of business passengers that will yes use LGW over say STN or LTN. With EI and BE gone from LHR there's a gap there imao

EI-BUD
21st Mar 2023, 23:37
Mart901,
I've no doubt this connection will do very well. My point is they are forfeiting a daily rotation on an aircraft so that they can operate a BHD 0700 service. If they could depart earlier and arrive later it would make sense. Average fares on such a route in peak summer wouldnt touch a route like Palma, Faro, or Greek island which could be arriving back as late as midnight.

I've seen examples where Ryanair are getting a 737 flying from 05:45 to 01:15 the following morning. That's nearly a 20 hour day. This example at BHD is 14 hours. For this reason no low cost airline will make a base until the opening hours are revisited. On the flip side, I'm guessing they can tap into the locally based crew rather than do an overnighter.

exchanged_gorilla
21st Mar 2023, 23:54

Looks like a LGW-based aircraft nightstopping at BHD each night - a bit like they do in INV, MAD, and a few other places.

mboqseif
21st Mar 2023, 23:59
It is indeed an LGW based aircraft nightstopping, replacing MAD nightstop

PinOnTheRight
22nd Mar 2023, 09:06
Mart901,
I've no doubt this connection will do very well. My point is they are forfeiting a daily rotation on an aircraft so that they can operate a BHD 0700 service. If they could depart earlier and arrive later it would make sense. Average fares on such a route in peak summer wouldnt touch a route like Palma, Faro, or Greek island which could be arriving back as late as midnight.

I've seen examples where Ryanair are getting a 737 flying from 05:45 to 01:15 the following morning. That's nearly a 20 hour day. This example at BHD is 14 hours. For this reason no low cost airline will make a base until the opening hours are revisited. On the flip side, I'm guessing they can tap into the locally based crew rather than do an overnighter.

Not even Ryanair want every one of their 400+ aircraft operating 20 hour days in summer.

It looks like the aircraft will be LGW based but night stopping at BHD, so unlikely to be the same frame at every night at BHD. It just means it will operate an odd number of sectors like they already do with the INV nightstopper. Could be perfect timing arriving into LGW at 0830 to go onwards to SSH/HRG etc and also means it isn't occupying a stand at LGW overnight, or trying to find another first rotation departure slot out of LGW this summer when the EZY base is expected to exceed 2019 levels.