PDA

View Full Version : Walk-round checks

Windsor6
23rd Dec 2020, 16:48
Interested SLF here.
I wondered how often problems (major or minor) are found on the pilots pre-flight walk-round?
I'm guessing that some pilots could have an entire career without anything major coming up and others may have a few.
Thanks in advance.

Bealzebub
23rd Dec 2020, 22:00
Very often. Usually it is minor items such as dents, fluid leaks, tyre damage, fan blade nicks, evidence of bird strike etc. Occasionally it can be more serious. I’ve had flap track fairings hanging off, turbine cracks, fuel tank leaks and lighting strike damage. In many places the “walk round” or pilots pre-flight check, is the only visual inspection that will performed. Far from an entire career, it would be unusual to go a month without something coming up.

B2N2
24th Dec 2020, 07:52
Quite often actually.
We have maintenance personnel around all the time and they may notice something and check it out and declare it good to go. Now the crew shows up and one will do a preflight inspection and may notice the same issue. They will approach MX and mention it and they’ll be told its already checked it and declared satisfactory.
Twice in a year I’ve found discrepanties that MX overlooked that required corrective action prior to flight.
In one case the engine manufacturer was called on their 24 hr hotline and they said NO.

Capt Quentin McHale
24th Dec 2020, 11:40
Windsor6,

If you travel often, watch from the comfort of the terminal, a pilots "walk around". The difference between a dry day and when it is raining is extreme in terms of ground travelled on a walk around, from the operators that I have witnessed. I really wonder how much is "observed/discovered" on a rainy day walk around. Food for thought....draw your own conclusions. PS....not tarring all pilots with the one brush, but some just don't like getting wet !