PDA

View Full Version : Qxc Cancelled AGAIN

Todge
18th Aug 2002, 17:55
Well the great british weather has done it again.
Supposed to do my QXC today and had to "not even think about it" again.:mad:

Try again tuesday. Fingers crossed.

iainpoll
18th Aug 2002, 17:58
Sorry to hear that mate. Frustrating I know, happened 4 times to me for various reasons.

It will happen, it's the best part of the whole course! Enjoy.

Iain

sennadog
18th Aug 2002, 18:12
This must be a pain. Luckily I was due to do mine just as the weather turned brighter so I was able to get it out of the way quickly. When you finally get to do it the wait will have been well worth it.

:)

In Altissimus
19th Aug 2002, 12:13
Yup - four cancellations here too, finally managed it about a month ago.

By the time I did it I was so frustrated that it took the edge off it a bit. In fact that sums up my flying at the moment...

Anyone have any good ideas for beating the weather/availability blues?

Evo7
19th Aug 2002, 12:18
I guess that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Waited three months to solo and cancelled well over half my lessons this year but did the QXC at the first attempt. Finally something went to plan :)

Got the skills test booked for two weeks time - last chance before Goodwood closes for about a week for the revival meeting. And it always seems to rain when there's motor racing there... :(

As for beating the weather/availability blues, that's flying in England, isn't it? Sadly it's not going to change once we have a PPL

Aussie Andy
19th Aug 2002, 12:42
On the wx/availability blues: I think this problem is no different since having my license than it was before I passed, but maybe I am less impatient now. You just have to become a bit "Zen" about it, if you know what I mean - accept that a bit over half of what you book will be cancelled due wx, and be pleasantly surprised when a trip actually goes ahead. then the good days are even more special :-)

My family are generally OK with me devoting one or two weekend-days a month to flying (and I can't generally fly during the week). So I book a little more than this, and it kind-of works out - of course some months are better than others.

I know its frustrating when you are doing your license, but its no different afterwards - except that YOU have to make more of the go/no-go decisions yourself - so its good practice.

Whirlybird
19th Aug 2002, 12:56
Get used to it, as everyone's been saying.

When I was doing my PPL, I used to say I was learning more about patience than about flying. The only difference once you've got your licence is that YOU make the decisions - and after a couple of scares I started realising that 30 PROB TS in a TAF did NOT mean it wouldn't happen to me and could be ignored, and erred on the side of caution. I've lost count of the number of days I've arranged to fly, and never made it to the airfield; or made it to the airfield and realised I couldn't fly; or even got airborne and come straight back. I tell prospective passengers that the fact we've arranged to fly doesn't mean we will, and that I'm the one who'll decide.

Flying takes over your life, not because you end up doing a lot of it, but because you don't have time to do anything else - you're always checking the weather, driving to ain airfield, or sitting in one drinking coffee.

So I repeat - get used to it. Or emigrate. Experience and further training will help, but only a little. That's GA in the UK for you.

Aussie Andy
19th Aug 2002, 13:06
Snap! - I agree with Whirly... but its still worth it ;)

Who has control?
19th Aug 2002, 14:47
Hey BlokeinanArcher - you've done you're QXC!! Well done!:) :)

I seem to remember a month or so back you were complaining about the weather delaying you're progress so it must be grand to feel you are on you're way again. Did you go into Southend as planned?

I was all fired up to go up to Skegness on saturday. Thursday & friday had been fine & the forecast for saturday was ' still hot & sunny'. So saturday morning dawned foggy! It didn't really clear until 11:00 which was to late to go.

In Altissimus
19th Aug 2002, 15:14
WhC

Thanks. Yep - did base -> Beccles ->Southend -> base. Beccles was a bit wierd - you land pretty much off the end of the visible runway (at least that's how it seemed :rolleyes: ). Control did put me into an orbit on base leg at Southend - not sure if that was for spacing, or just to see if I was listening...

Everyone Else

Thanks for the encouragement on 'the blues'. I think what really gets to me is that I'd not been as enthusiastic about anything for donkey's years, but the weather and 'the system' eventually take their toll and grind it out of you.

Underneath it all I'm still really hooked though - so I suppose it's just a case of getting through the GFT (and R/T) and getting on with it :)