PDA

View Full Version : Test fees

foxmoth
18th Dec 2020, 18:56
Just trying to get a feel of the rates people charge/are paid for SEP initial and renewal flight tests?

MrAverage
19th Dec 2020, 09:28
In my limited research, I found such wild variations I stopped researching. There's a large minority in some circles that don't even charge, then others that charge top whack plus a dual rate for their aircraft! I decided to charge what I thought was fair (bearing in mind it costs me way over £1k every 3 years to get re-issue done) but somewhat less for our members.

Klimax
19th Dec 2020, 17:28
Just trying to get a feel of the rates people charge/are paid for SEP initial and renewal flight tests?

I don't know about the TEST (1 hour'ish flight) fee, but I've just paid 1620euros for an SEP renewal (4h ground school theory, 4h training flights, 1h SEP test flight. With all fees and everything included). Not as cheap as I thought it would be, but on the other hand it made sense to me to do the ATO proposed program after I though a little bit about it - it's quite a different thing to go out flying an SEP C152 in a "foreign" country and not having flown anything of that size for 15+ years. Just FYI.

Whopity
20th Dec 2020, 16:04
I think £100 for a prof check and £150 for a PPL Skill test is reasonable. £230 for a FI and £300 for an Examiner AOC.

TheOddOne
20th Dec 2020, 17:51
A revalidation by test or a renewal for a recently lapsed SEP rating takes an hour plus brief/debrief. Our examiner charges £50. A Skills Test takes 2 hours flying plus brief/debrief and the charge is £100. We charge the solo rate for PA28 hire of £162 including VAT, fuel, everything for reval/renewal. We normally give the 2 hours aircraft hire for a Skills Test free of charge if the student has done the whole course with us, as a reward for staying the distance.. We never offer a discount otherwise, nor do we accept payments in advance, strictly pay as you go. Instruction is £30 to the instructor, sadly we have to add £6 to this for the VAT. Club members only pay £30 for instruction for revalidation if in their own aircraft, as a private arrangement with the instructor.
We don't charge anything for signing paperwork or licences, printing out forms etc, even though it can be time consuming and costs the Club money. We take the view that the direct expenses incurred such as computer, printer, paper, internet connection, premises rates, rental, light and heat come from Club member fees.
There has been a tradition that examiners and instructors don't charge for signatures. However, I know some places are starting to charge. I won't even charge visitors who aren't Club members, though when they press a drink into my hands I don't say 'no'.

TOO

BigEndBob
20th Dec 2020, 18:16
We local examiners got together and all decided to charge £200 for skill test. Been £150 for the last 15 years.
LPC i haven't charged anything extra, but i should as others have charged £50 to £75.

Stan Evil
26th Dec 2020, 15:52
"We local examiners got together and all decided to charge £200 for skill test."
That's known as 'forming a cartel' and is illegal - examiners are in competition with each other for the business.

Klimax
26th Dec 2020, 19:13
"We local examiners got together and all decided to charge £200 for skill test."
That's known as 'forming a cartel' and is illegal - examiners are in competition with each other for the business.

Say it ain't.... Clown.

Airgus
28th Dec 2020, 19:16
The UK CAA recommends minimum test flight and ground times as follows:
For PPL/LAPL 04:15 HRS:
2 hours for Test Ground (including brief/planning/debrief)
2 1/4 hours for Flight (Aeroplane) (block time)

In addition to this there's always at least an hour of administrative duties pre and post skill test. Therefore, there's a minimum of 05:00 to a max of 06:00 hours of work.
On top of that, your experience, your training to become an FE/CRE, the responsibilities and the exposure of being one. How much do you value that hour of work?

With all my respect for a plumber and the profession, a plumber can and will charge you 45 to 65 GBP per hour and everybody is fine with it, no thinking of accusing them of forming a cartel but an examiner charging 275 to 375 is not ok?

https://www.mybuilder.com/pricing-guides/hourly-rate-of-a-plumber

How much do you value your experience and expertise?

Klimax
28th Dec 2020, 19:27
The UK CAA recommends minimum test flight and ground times as follows:
For PPL/LAPL 04:15 HRS:
2 hours for Test Ground (including brief/planning/debrief)
2 1/4 hours for Flight (Aeroplane) (block time)

In addition to this there's always at least an hour of administrative duties pre and post skill test. Therefore, there's a minimum of 05:00 to a max of 06:00 hours of work.
On top of that, your experience, your training to become an FE/CRE, the responsibilities and the exposure of being one. How much do you value that hour of work?

With all my respect for a plumber and the profession, a plumber can and will charge you 45 to 65 GBP per hour and everybody is fine with it, no thinking of accusing them of forming a cartel but an examiner charging 275 to 375 is not ok?

https://www.mybuilder.com/pricing-guides/hourly-rate-of-a-plumber

How much do you value your experience and expertise?

Personal opinion. God damn bloody OK to do so! If not more! :ok:

greeners
29th Dec 2020, 11:03
Absolutely spot on! Examiners and senior FIs should be charging AT LEAST what a plumber charges!

awair
30th Dec 2020, 03:30
This could go downhill pretty quickly...

Maybe plumbers should charge less?

How about the '£500 for a pass' scenario (not saying it’s happening), or £50/nominal charge for the perfectly fair evaluation?
The solution - all examiners salaried, and employed by 'the Authority'.

In reality, it's a balance between market forces and conscience. We certainly have a better setup than across the pond!

TheOddOne
30th Dec 2020, 06:45
The solution - all examiners salaried, and employed by 'the Authority'.
It's always worked for driving, likewise the theory test. Economy of scale, though, with driving.
TOO

BigEndBob
30th Dec 2020, 22:49
Driving examiner spends say one hour with candidate. FE say 4 hours and lost time if weather is bad and no alternate work.

MrAverage
31st Dec 2020, 11:14
I went on the driving test examiner course a dozen or so years ago, having never been a driving instructor but as a professional driver. They made a big thing out of wanting some non driving instructor intake. I found out that it's terribly paid - despite the acceptable promises I received at the interview - even in the London area, plus it's so regimented as to make it more or less unbearable. All tests are very strictly timed on precisely prescribed routes and if you don't do seven a day you're on the carpet. One of the guys I met there, who happened to be a glider pilot, was so disillusioned with it he went back to being a driving instructor PDQ.

A four week course that was so full of PC and extra stuff that had been added over the decades, it really needed to be eight weeks. The best thing about it was being on the Cardington site.

I ended up doing the FE (PPL) instead, two day course AoC and done.............