PDA

View Full Version : BACK AGAIN, Another tale from the dim past.

ElderlyGent
13th Dec 2020, 13:21
HI all,
I had a phone call from my flying friend of time gone by, the other day to wish me the usual Seasonal Greetings and our occaasional catch up chats.
During this he suggested that I came back to the Forum with another tale of Derring Do to regale you with,.
Later I went back and had a look at it and saw, to my astonishment that it had been three years since my last post. Now where did that go?
So lets go back in time to the point where I was all set to go to Florida for the winter break and regain what I could of my PPL. 40 years on, but the old training was still there I was sure.
However, on my last eye check I was told that I had a cataract, and although it was in its early stages it could be removed. I researched it and found that it would benefit me no end but there were few if any downsides. So I agreed, signed the usual disclaimer and pressented myself at the appointed time for the operation. It was done.
While we were waiting for the taxi I realised that all was not well. My wife thought it was just the eye recovering, but I insisted on telling someone about my concern, Eventually it was found that the Occular Pressure was off the clock, I was kept in overnight for observation. The end result was that I am now severly sight restricted with Photophobia to a high degree and dark glasses are not much help and with the previous problems I have I have had to give up on ANY more flying as P1. (I'd like to go CoPilot and fly a bit from there though to do all the basic stuff high up in the sky, I can see well enough for that, though under strict obseevation form the P1, but I doubt that will ever happen.)
OK. adapt and survive, which leaves me with what tales I can tell of flights, good, indiferent or terrifying I have filed away in the brain retrieval system .
Right, here's one that I well remember as it taught me where limits are.
It was when I wa going through the practical for the Instrument Rating. I was on a flight to Birmingham with the instructor sitting quietly beside me and I had just contacted Approach. I was all set for radar vectoring for an ILS when I was told that due to incoming commercial I would leave on such and such a heading AWAY from the area. This I did, but the stress of the flgiht on instruments, without a word from the instructor just after take off was getting to me.
A few minutes later I was called and told that I was to return to the field for the ILS approach. Now as we all know, there is a special way to join a circuit. I turned back on a reciprocal heading and at that point my brain siezed up, and I just could not work out the correct aproach. And I am still getting there at 100+ kts. Cripes, I can't park up and think about it.....
I bit the bullet and said ''I can't do this. you have control'' to which the reply was ''You are on your own'' and silence. I then realised that he was waiting for me to reach my 'breaking point' . Right, you sod, I muttered sotto vocce, I'll show you. And I did. OK .you are flying on auto now so think it out rationally. Then it fell into place.
The moral is to stay at least one jump ahead and take it one step at a time. Instyrument flying, scanning the instruents and all that goes with it, after a time become the normal way and the brain IS capable of multi tasking. Ladies do this from birth but it takes us males many yeasr to reach their level.
I got Brownie Points for that after the flight, and it served me well later when doing a solo NDB let down in my own aircraft, in rain and heavy cloud. I was half way though it, sweating a bit, when control broke in and asked me to give them a weather report. Now, NDB let downs are to my way of thinking probably the hardest to do as Spacial Awareness is crucial.
My reply was just one word.......well two really. I know what you are thinking, but I admit to ''Not now''
Stay safe and well. till next time
EG.