PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham-8

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nwoody2001
19th Nov 2020, 11:07
Airport Slot Allocations and Impacts on BHX

What we know with regard to the changes to our surrounding context and catchment is as follows:

Bristol - a new 3/4 aircraft Jet2 base is to open up at BRS operating circa 30 new routes. This is confirmed. What appears to be the case is that this is Jet2 going after the market that was utilised by Thomas Cook before they went belly up, wit routes primarily to Greece, Turley and Canaries. This is a risk given the proximity to BHX that this will impact on market share out of BHX. However, as we haven't had a (normal) summer season since Thomas Cooks collapse, we have no way of knowing what impact this will have. This is something worth considering but there is a concern that all the jet2 customers that travelled to BHX from wales and the southwest no longer need to but i have no idea how big that market was...

Manchester - the ACL Slot report has been release and shown the following airline have applied for the following:

= Aer LIngus - a 4 a/c base operating long haul routes to the USA (1x A330 and 3x A321LR)
= Wizz Air - a 4 a/c base operating across europe (4x A321s)
= Ryanair - increase their base at MAN by adding an additional 5x a/c to their existing base

Its worth nothing that these are purely slot allocation to date. All of the above could happen, all of the above could never see the light of day. until flights are formally announced and on sale, its always hard to tell. Obviously there is concern that such growth f it did occur at MAN would have significant consequence on BHX, with the Wizz base also have major consequences on LPL and DSA. Again, until anything formally is announced, nothing is fixed. This could be airlines hedging their bets in the wake of the covid crisis or genuine plans.

Birmingham - similar to the above, the ACL Slot report has been release and shown the following airline have applied for the following:

= Easyjet - applied for 24x additional weekly departures for S21 compared to their proposed S20 schedule taking them to 72x departures a week (+50% on S20)
= Ryanair - applied for 35x additional weekly departures for S21 compared to their proposed S20 schedule them to186x departures a week (+26% on S20)

Unfortunately there are no additional Wizz application beyond the 4x new routes we already know about.

Other interesting inclusions on the report

= Aegean Airlines - application for 2x weekly flights to ATH
= Air India - applied to increase to 8x weekly flights
= CSA Czech Airlines - applied for daily flights to PRG
= Loganair - applied for 29x weekly flights. We know about ABZ and INV but this will also include IOM

And finally....

= Flybe - have been allowed to retain over 600 slots or 300 weekly flights

Again, as above, these are purely slot applications. All of the above could happen, all of the above could never see the light of day. in this day and age we will never know.one thing i find interesting is that even after years of stagnation, for Ryanair to proposed an additional 35-40 weekly flights and an increase of their BHX operations by 25% is big shock. but will it happen? What is clear is that with covid, a lot of airports have a lot of extract space space than before. With several airline collapses and the news the 737M could be back flying in 2021, there is also a lot of aircraft on the market and under utilised that need to be put somewhere.

some interesting time ahead that is for sure!!!!

chaps1954
19th Nov 2020, 11:15
Just an addition to Manchester Easyjet are planning for 25 based for next summer with rumours that the Liverpool operation might close

MANFOD
19th Nov 2020, 12:22
Just to be clear, that is an unsubstantiated rumour. As regards the base, the ACL report refers to 21 based a/c, which doesn't seem to be fully supported by the number of weekly departures. As others have pointed out, there can be a huge gulf between initial slot applications and what eventually happens, be it at BHX or MAN or elsewhere.

chaps1954
19th Nov 2020, 12:45
Yes I know not confirmed yet and of couse many won`t happen

GayFriendly
19th Nov 2020, 13:16
one thing i find interesting is that even after years of stagnation, for Ryanair to proposed an additional 35-40 weekly flights and an increase of their BHX operations by 25% is big shock. but will it happen?

I think FR are probably doing this type of increased, speculative slot application at many of their base airports as a negotiating tool to get rock bottom deals - in other words look what we can do to help you increase traffic as long as you do us a deal or we will expand elsewhere - isn't this always how they have 'negotiated' with airports?

But will this happen at BHX? I doubt it but with expansion at LTN, BRS and MAN by a number of airlines already either confirmed or very strongly rumoured, BHX needs to act fast - remember it lost Flybe just before the Covid **** really hit the fan and very little of that capacity or routes has been replaced (or is even being planned to), so BHX is already very much on the backfoot for 2021 even without taking Covid into account.

This is what MOL had to say in an interview with Anna Aero this week:

Rapid recovery for airports will go to those airport operators who are swift and responsive and which come up with the right traffic growth incentives.” “We have to make aircraft allocation decisions for S21. We’re finalising our schedules, that’s why we’re in active discussion with progressive airports.”

“Stansted and Manchester get it”, O’Leary said, likewise “airports in Eastern and Central Europe, in Italy, Beauvais [a new base that opens in January 2021]…” Growth at such airports – and others like them – for next summer is probably assured.

Only time will tell if BHX 'gets it'.....

If a vaccine does become widely available over the next 6-8 months (looking ever more likely) and the Govt. doesn't cock up the logistics of getting it out and administered to the public, then I think Summer 21 will see a huge amount of pent up demand for short haul travel and holidays and those airports who have got a competitive mix of airlines, routes and frequencies in place will recover quickly and strongly, leaving those who are still in the doldrums in their wake.

MARK 101
19th Nov 2020, 15:28
Navpi

Dont necessarily link Wizz with Eastern Europe .They talked of the Gatwick base to operate Med routes ,so think they are looking beyond their traditional markets.

OltonPete
29th Nov 2020, 15:35
Emirates daily pushed back a week

Turkish - back to 3 a week this week although the 789 skips a week with the next one Monday 7th December

Air India - despite I believe excellent loads, it skips at least week next week at the very least

Wizz - quickly reinstated some Bucharest rotations with one operating today, Wednesday and next Sunday as well the usual Friday and the Monday service restarts next Monday. Craiova, Cluj and the new Iasi service are all brought forward a week - starting 11th December onwards

Ryanair - several routes due to restart after lockdown pushed back to the week commencing 13 December

Aer Lingus - Belfast City seems to return to double daily from Tuesday and Dublin increases to 5 per week next week and then 6 per week

KLM - Mainline are back from Thursday night and then both flights from next Monday but no change with Air France still February. LH FRA continues at 8-9 a week and Eurowings DUS 2 a week

easyjet - Belfast increases from this Friday to 5 per week then 10 per week the following week. Although Edinburgh and Glasgow restart 18th December both end again 3 January until February 1st

Loganair - Should be back Monday 7th on a combined Aberdeen & Inverness

No noticeable reaction to the Tier 3 announcement from Jet2 or TUI and both restart Wednesday on slimdown operations. Jet2 - Antalya (3 to start 4 by Christmas), Fuerteventura(1 moving to 2), Las Palmas (2 per week & 5 by Christmas), Arrecife (4 per week & 5 by Christmas), Tenerife daily moving to 10 per week by Christmas and Funchel Monday 7th then Friday as well later in the month. There are still ski routes from Saturday 19th at the moment (GNB, GVA, INN & SZG).

TUI - The Canaries start Thursday with Las Palmas (MON as well) and Arrecife (Sunday as well) Friday Tenerife (Sunday & Tuesday as well) and Fuerteventura (Saturday & Wed 9th).

Punta Cana is shown for 8th December and Cancun 14 December and Bridgetown 20th - all remain to be seen.

Egypt (HRG, RMF & SSH) all delayed at least 2 weeks to at mid December and the same for Cape Verde (SID & BVC).

MARK 101
19th Dec 2020, 13:53
Slightly positive to see Easyjet Swiis back today on Geneva, although whether it will last the season remains to be seen. Interestingly Blue Air have a Bucharest rotation tonight at 0020 departing 0120 ! Presumably Romanians returning home for Christmas, but hardly sociable timings, cant imagine BHX staff are very keen considering theres no other passenger flights after about 2100

BHX5DME
23rd Dec 2020, 17:11
JET2 SHOWS SUMMER 2021 CONFIDENCE WITH 135 MORE FLIGHTS TO GREECE[Jet2 has added 135 extra flights to Greece next summer in response to “continued demand”.

The additions will be from Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds Bradford and Stansted airports. Extra services will operate to Corfu, Kefalonia, Crete (Heraklion), Kos, Santorini, Rhodes and Zante.

The biggest increase is from Birmingham, where there are 60 extra weekly services to Corfu, Kefalonia, Heraklion, Kos and Rhodes.

From Manchester there are another 50 weekly services to Corfu, Kefalonia, Santorini, Zante and Kos.

Leeds Bradford will boast 18 additional services to Kefalonia and Kos, while Stansted will see six additional services added to Zante in response to demand.

The capacity hike comes after Jet2 recently revealed Bristol as its 10th UK base.

“The launch of a new UK base for summer 21, followed by this Greek expansion, demonstrates the company’s confidence and underlines its long-term strategy to become the UK’s leading leisure travel business,” Jet2 said.

Steve Heapy, Jet2.com and Jet2holidays chief executive, added: “Customers are telling us that flights and holidays to Greece are very much in demand for summer 21.

“As ever, we have responded quickly to that demand by adding more seats and holidays on sale to seven fantastic Greek destinations, and we know that they will be extremely popular

chinapattern
28th Dec 2020, 11:34
What a surprise, on the day they announce Antalya from MAN the BHX flight disappears from sale.

OltonPete
28th Dec 2020, 13:43
Hi chinapattern, are you sure, as the last time I checked BHX-AYT was not on sale - I check most weeks but thought they were removed a while ago but could be wrong.

Emirates 10 a week from 3rd July with EK37 Saturday Monday & Wednesday. I assume lack of aircraft why it hasn't run over Christmas not lack of pax.

Latest as of Saturday evening so probably completely changed.

Wizz - Budapest operates hopefully next Sunday but then March

Rix - Monday 4th then March

Vilnius - Next 2 Tuesdays & Saturdays then March

Krakow - as above

Warsaw - Inbound operating today then Friday, 4/1 then weekly Friday until March

Wroclaw - next 4/1 then 8/1 and then 12/2

Bucharest - Wednesday possibly, Friday 1/1 then three a week from Monday 4th (MWF)

Cluj - Friday, then Monday 4th then Friday 8th weekly

Craiova - next Saturday Tuesday 5th Saturday 9th then 9th Feb

Iasi -next Sunday then 10 January before stopping until 7 Feb

Jet2 - next outbound 6th or 7th February Madeira weekly, Arrecife 3pw, Las Palmas 4 but then dropping to 2, Tenerife 8 dropping to 5. Fuerteventura showing 13 Feb

Ryanair - Several changes coming up but this week is mainly as planned - will add a separate post later or tomorrow but seem to ending the Canaries until February

easyjet - No noticeable changes with Edinburgh & Glasgow ending next Sunday until February, Geneva stated to restart next Saturday. Belfast is double daily except Tu & Wed

Lufthansa - difficult as operating one wat but Monday, Wednesday lunch is bookable inbound and two next Sunday A319;s from Saturday

Eurowings - suspended until 1st February

SAS - Next 2 Mondays listed then March

KLM - 2 inbounds & 1 outbound most days at least but Wednesday there are 3 inbounds, 1 Thursday, 2 Friday & 3 the weekend

Aer Lingus - Belfast double daily ex Sat and Dublin continues inbound only with passengers until the 1st and outbound is shown

TUI - outbound suspended until 6th Fuerteventura (2), Arrecife & Las Palmas (2) from 7th and Tenerife (2) 8th. Long-haul, Cape Verde & Egypt delayed 3rd week in January

Loganair - back 1st February,

Blue Island - tomorrow Wednesday & next Sunday bookable then 1st February

Blue Air - cancelled?

Turkish - A321 this afternoon , Thursday & Friday cancelled Saturday & Sunday 737 and two Monday week one the 789

Emirates - 10 per week 3rd July

Air India - In Googleflights on sale next Friday/Saturday but means little

ZULUBOY
28th Dec 2020, 18:39
Any info about Ryanair and Canaries appreciated Pete. Due to fly with them to Tenerife on Feb 13th but would prefer a cancellation and voucher/refund given the Covid situation

Matt995
1st Jan 2021, 16:36
Happy New Year All,

I have attached 2 spreadsheets showing the 2020 Passenger Arrival Statistics for Birmingham, with information taken from flightradar24 (FR24), obviously I can’t claim its 100% accurate, but it should be reasonably accurate.

PDF 1 shows:-
number of arrivals by aircraft registration (Flybe E75s still claim 5 of the top 6 arrivals!)
arrivals by aircraft type & registration
arrivals by aircraft type, (the 738 counts for 38.5% of all arrivals, followed by the A320 at 12.09%)
arrivals by airlines, Ryanair (20.99%), Flybe (15.63%) and Jet2 (11.85%) lead the way.
arrivals by destination, Amsterdam (8.9%), Dublin (8.4%), and Frankfurt (4%) are the top 3.

PDF 2, contains 2 pie charts, showing total passenger arrivals by aircraft type, and airline.

Sioltach Dubh Glas
1st Jan 2021, 19:15
An extremely comprehensive set of reports Matt995. That must have taken some effort and is much appreciated.

BHX5DME
5th Jan 2021, 11:48
SAS are basing an Airbus 330-300 at BHX from today to operate two cargo flights a day to Brussels.

BHX is booming on the freight side at the moment

OltonPete
12th Jan 2021, 18:31
This seems to be the general opinion from various sources but rather naughty if correct as still on sale for 27th March which to be fair hasn't looked likely or realistic for over a month or so now.

On the positive side Loganair start Isle of Man on 2nd April 4 times a week on the E145 then daily from the 22nd May and should change to the ATR72. Aberdeen and Inverness pushed back until 1st March

Initial reports on EK is good and only a reduction to 5 a week for a short period - Monday and Wednesday are the non-ops days from 20 Jan to 8 Feb but no doubt will get extended

An odd one and I am sure will change but Air France is still bookable next Monday for a restart albeit very infrequent.

Jet2 have gone further than Ryanair cancelling all flights to the end of March. Ryanair at BHX was not far behind that anyway from next Tuesday with just a twice a week Dublin and a few Canaries flights over half-term with the rest of schedule already gone until the end of March.

ZULUBOY
13th Jan 2021, 15:51
Just had an e-mail from Ryanair moving our flight to Tenerife on 13th Feb to East Midlands. We were never going to go and were just waiting on Ryanair to cancel it anyway so we could get a refund

RealFish
13th Jan 2021, 16:57
OltonPete

Interesting. I have just been pricing a Thailand flight and hotel for later in the year, via British Airways Holidays, flying > BA5806, < BA5805 opb Qatar. The Club prices are very attractive, as are the opportunities to earn BA miles and Tier Points. It will be disappointing to see this alternative to EK disappear.

chinapattern
20th Jan 2021, 10:01
Summer 22
- Barcelona has re-appeared, two weekly from 27th March
- Paris CDG, new two weekly (Thu/Sun) from 30th June
- La Rochelle, new weekly from 28th May
- Lisbon (two weekly from 30th September-28th October 2021) continues next year

fanrailuk
22nd Jan 2021, 13:17
Qatar Airways BHX - DOH service no longer on sale via their website for any future dates. Same applies for CWL.

As speculated. Let's hope it returns for 2022...

FRatSTN
22nd Jan 2021, 14:36
I find it personally odd they'd sooner get rid of BHX and CWL yet keep LGW going 3x daily in addition to the new BA daily LGW-DOH all under One World. I suspect that, and slot sitting, to be the reason why though.

BHX5DME
27th Jan 2021, 08:24
Jet 2 add BHX-Athens from April 2022 - twice weekly

Pistonprop
27th Jan 2021, 10:57
I suspect that, at the moment, QTR are making more money using the majority of their pax aircraft on cargo flights. At my local airport in The Netherlands (not AMS) we get up to 5 a day. Mainly B777s but also their B787s and even A359s.

ATNotts
27th Jan 2021, 11:10
That will be Maastricht then!

RealFish
27th Jan 2021, 14:11
fanrailuk

They are still on sale on the BA site, from 31st October, except Tuesdays.

[EDIT: And on the Qatar site]

GayFriendly
27th Jan 2021, 19:37
Great news about ATH, used the Aegean service a few times in the past.

Can't find any BHX QR flights to book on their website? All one and two stop connections via DUB or using Avanti to get to LHR . Think we have to accept QR will not be back at BHX for the foreseeable.

RealFish
28th Jan 2021, 08:33
You are right (I wish I'd taken a screen shot of the direct flights yesterday). They are not there now. I fear that you are also right on your second point.

GayFriendly
2nd Feb 2021, 07:21
Rumours circulating that Eastern are to announce BHX-GIB. Apparently they are basing an E170 in GIB this summer to also operate to SOU. BHX has reappeared in the drop down booking menu on Eastern website.

eshaq786
3rd Feb 2021, 08:01
Does anyone know what's going on with Emirates schedule in Birmingham. They appear to run a 14:20 flight everyday and a 21:40 flight every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. This then changes to one flight a day with a flight departing at 13:30. Would've thought they would be upping the frequency as we get out of the pandemic?

BHX5DME
3rd Feb 2021, 12:47
Flights are currently suspended !

simoncorbett
3rd Feb 2021, 13:04
I think that was the planned 10 a week for summer 2021 schedule, but things can & do change

Flying Hi
3rd Feb 2021, 18:15
eshaq786

When did that happen? Must've missed it.

Mr @ Spotty M
3rd Feb 2021, 21:35
Emirates are going to operate flights out of the UK from the 2nd February, with limited pax flights out of MAN & LHR with outbound pax only, plus BHX and GLA as cargo only.

BHX5DME
3rd Feb 2021, 22:27
I wish you were right but sadly not - BHX / GLA - no flights at all - MAN 5pw & LHR 21pw

eshaq786
4th Feb 2021, 07:24
Flying Hi

Not sure. I just happened to be looking for some flights in December and noticed the schedule from 31 October onwards was strange. Hoping they reinstate the twice daily by then. It would make sense to do so as passenger traffic should pick up by then.

southside bobby
4th Feb 2021, 08:36
Birmingham City Council making available a loan facility of £18.5m to BHX amid fears it will struggle to fulfill legally binding covenants connected to it`s external debt facilities of more than £500m.

Navpi
10th Feb 2021, 20:35
That is an astonishing level of debt.

£500m

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-birmingham-56013921

davidjohnson6
10th Feb 2021, 20:56
Debt facility is banker-speak for "If you pay a monthly fee, we guarantee we will lend you the money in future when you tell us you need it"
How much of the potential £500m loan has actually been borrowed, and how much is still at the "phone us when you need to borrow the money" stage ?

BHX5DME
10th Feb 2021, 21:23
easyjet add BHX-AMS twice daily from late May 21

OltonPete
10th Feb 2021, 21:25
Amsterdam based aircraft of course into BHX 07.20 outbound BHX 07,50 and then 15.25 inbound and outbound 15.55

jon01
5th Mar 2021, 12:14
Eurowings to Palma from May 2021 (https://newscloud.eurowings.com/en/2021-1/q1/eurowings-enters-british-leisure-travel-market.html)

2 p/w to start with, possibly additional flights if popular

Flying Hi
5th Mar 2021, 12:32
BHX5DME

Rather the other way round. The Joy of Brexit.

tigertanaka
5th Mar 2021, 13:10
Why does Brexit stop them running BHX-AMS?

southside bobby
5th Mar 2021, 13:28
Eurowings..."2pw to start with,possibly additional flights if popular" is not as written in the release but an interpretation.

jon01
16th Mar 2021, 06:46
Air India are planning to restart the Friday night stopping service to Delhi via Amritsar on a B787-8 from 02 Apr

Arrives 17:20 Fri AI117
Departs 20:00 Sat AI118

BHX5DME
18th Mar 2021, 13:22
Another day and yet another new route !
Wizz BHX-LCA twice weekly from Mid May

GayFriendly
18th Mar 2021, 16:07
That's now 11 routes all being well from BHX this summer, I wonder if there are any base discussions going on? Wizz certainly seem to like BHX.

Great to see some positive news at BHX this summer from Wizz, Jet2, Eurowings and Eastern with their GIB service (all Covid dependent of course). Let's hope some of the remaining lost BE routes are picked up and EK, AI and T5 restore services and frequency.

BHX5DME
18th Mar 2021, 16:31
Should be more news next week :-)

Goldwings
18th Mar 2021, 22:20
More new routes from Wizz do you think?

BHX5DME
18th Mar 2021, 22:27
That would be nice, but not what I was thinking of !

GayFriendly
19th Mar 2021, 11:31
Now you're just teasing BHX5DME.....hopefully more good news, would be nice if it's a (shock, horror ) new airline to BHX!

BHX5DME
19th Mar 2021, 13:39
Well this should have been next week but surprise announced early, both daily and at BHX at same time.

AYT 1140-1240 738 (tel:1140-1240 738) TK7968/7969

DLM 1140-1240 738 (tel:1140-1240 738) TK7970/7971

simoncorbett
19th Mar 2021, 15:20
Anadolujet operated according to some reports daily 738 with TK flight numbers

jon01
29th Mar 2021, 06:19
It appears that Air India have postponed plans to restart services here, not surprising looking at the latest Covid-19 data for India

Emirates restart 01 May at the earliest with a daily B777

Navpi
30th Mar 2021, 15:47
If Air India scrap BHX it will be another coffin in BHXs long haul aspirations, espicially given the plethora of Indian airlines who have secured slots at LHR

ATNotts
30th Mar 2021, 16:38
There's no suggestion they're scrapping BHX services, but honestly, given the trajectory of new cases in India, and the consequences for quarantine rules being tightened in UK postponing for a month or so appears perfectly sound to me.

crewmeal
31st Mar 2021, 07:18
If Air India scrap BHX I'm pretty sure other carriers will take over the route at some stage.

ATNotts
31st Mar 2021, 08:17
FlyPop (or is it GoPop)? And no, I'm not starting a rumour!

jon01
1st Apr 2021, 06:18
From TTG:

From 29 June, easyJet and easyJet Holidays will offer Malaga and Faro, with Alicante from 30 June, Majorca from 3 July and Corfu from 4 July.

Malaga and Corfu will operate twice weekly and the remaining new services three times a week.

_aax1
1st Apr 2021, 13:24
Great news about EZY.

Maybe a base in the future?

GayFriendly
1st Apr 2021, 14:39
Best news at BHX for a very long time!

I think the dominance of Jet2 and TUI at BHX might put them off a full blown base at present but it's clear that the alleged 'frosty' relationship between BHX and EZY over landing fees has significantly thawed. 10 routes is some going in current climate given there were only 4 last summer.

I can see EZY bringing extra capacity to BHX on more Med routes and all being well even further expansion in 2022 with hopefully some new destinations....be nice if they restarted sone of the BE city routes to MXP, BER and LYS in the future, I think these are all current EZY bases?

RogueOne
1st Apr 2021, 16:01
Speaking with an Easy base Capt a couple of years ago, a BHX base was definitely on the radar for them. Stated it was only a matter of time.

Their Scottish > BHX routes were supposed to commence this time last year. Maybe now those routes + the beach routes, have made it a more attractive prospect and they've been able to negotiate a decent arrangement with the airport.

OltonPete
1st Apr 2021, 22:08
GayFriendly

They have also gone to some trouble to operate these flights.

BHX - Corfu uses two Belfast aircraft to ensure no crew positioning back and forth - Aircraft one leaves Belfast for Corfu then turns around for BHX then onward to Belfast and aircraft two leaves Belfast for BHX turns around for Corfu and back to Belfast. I bet that is quite tight on crew hours.

Alicante is operated by an Amsterdam based aircraft routing AMS-BHX-ALC-BHX-AMS

Palma, Faro and Malaga are straight away based flights.

I hope this is leading to a base in 2022 and not just taking advantage of the fact that the UK is ahead of the game on vaccinations. Not sure I would be looking at certain parts of Spain this summer.

speedrestriction
2nd Apr 2021, 10:52
Not exactly expecting a slot constrained environment this summer so I doubt it will be an issue (this year at least).

_aax1
2nd Apr 2021, 12:06
Agreed, think after this year or maybe 2022, EZY will have to make a decision to either base at BHX or cancel W pattern ops there.

Can’t imagine operating slot constrained AMS aircraft to ALC via BHX would work in normal times, nor best allocation of aircraft/cost. But can imagine EZY believes NL won’t be in the best place for summer holidays this year with the covid rates there so works well in this circumstance.

easyflyer83
2nd Apr 2021, 17:20
The type of rotations discussed here aren’t unique within easyJet. There’s not really anything particularly unusual with these lines of flying.

chinapattern
5th Aug 2021, 14:40
Two new Ryanair routes announced this morning; Lisbon and Shannon - both starting 1st November, both x2 weeekly Mon/Fri

FQTLSteve
13th Aug 2021, 07:33
I noticed that the Eastern Airways Gibralter flight is departing at 0915 this morning. I thought it was operated as a W pattern from Southampton? Have they changed the flight schedules does anyone know and if so why?

BHX5DME
13th Aug 2021, 08:25
Eastern now nightstop at BHX, changed a few weeks ago

BHX5DME
13th Aug 2021, 10:54
6 new routes now in last week.

Today - Bergamo, Turin, Vilnius & Bucharest on top of Lisbon & Shannon last week

And still no EMA flights on sale after 31.12.21 !

The Nutts Mutts
13th Aug 2021, 10:58
The aircraft now does SOU-GIB-BHX on a Thursday and Sunday, and BHX-GIB-SOU on Friday and Monday. Not sure why this change was brought in.

Cloud1
13th Aug 2021, 12:25
At a guess I would imagine the crew can do 3 sectors but then have to rest. Getting hotels in GIB right now could be both costly and difficult compared to a night stop in Birmingham?

RogueOne
18th Aug 2021, 20:06
It might also make more sense to have serviceable aircraft closer to home for AOG cover, rather than downroute early in the morning. Just in case.

EU261 claims or whatever they might be called now post-brexit will probably still apply for 3+ hr delays.

OltonPete
5th Sep 2021, 21:53
The Alicante never actually started but the Corfu has worked well using the Belfast crew even if the loads were average at times but at least Jersey has put in some good load figures although fares have been moderate. Tomorrow sees Amsterdam finally start and as for the rest of the airlines a long overdue update but so many changes from day to day:

easyjet - The most changes this week with a new route in Amsterdam, increases in Glasgow and Edinburgh, a route ending in Newquay and a route reducing in Belfast

Amsterdam - starts at a reduced rate of 4 per week rising later in the month up to 11 per week.

Monday - 07:35 - 08:05 - A319 per the booking engine and 320's the rest of the week with EJU flight numbers 7912/3
Thursday - 15:25 - 15:55
Friday - 18:55 - 19:25
Sunday - 09:40-10:10

Edinburgh and Glasgow go double daily every day in the week with no Satuday services and two Sunday

Newquay ends Saturday

Belfast reduces to 18 per week from 23 but Sunday retains 3 flights and Monday 4 with one less flight Tuesday - Saturday

Brussels Airlines - third time lucky today and it is 3 per week Sunday, Monday and Friday

Loganair - Aberdeen increases to 12 per week Double daily in the week and once on a Saturday and Sunday (ATR). Inverness and Isle of Man stay daily

Swiss - Monday and Friday and showing both E2's this week

Ryanair - no changes as far as I can see other than times such as the Thursday Malta Air which is is now EI- BHX based but a second Malta Air starts 18 September to Malta

TUI - Montego Bay has ended although bookable from 1st October along with Funchal, Marrakech and Enfidha.

Other longhaul is the end of September at the earliest

The only other change this week is Tuesday Kos ending for outbound pax so should run inbound the following Tuesday. All other flights the same but some flights reduce towards the end of the month,

Jet2 - Few changes by the look of the booking engines now that the schools are back but I presume consolidations will continue. I can see some reductions later in the month but nothing too significant as yet.

Lufthansa - Frankfurt no immediate sign of mainline returning - Monday 10.50 departure daily but 06.05 just Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday although Munich via Air Dolomiti restart next Monday to Munich

Air France - Monday 06:05 departure, Tuesday 06:25, 11:10, Wednesday 10:25, Thursday 06:10 10:25, Friday 11:10, Saturday 10:50 & Sunday 06:15 & 10:25

Turkish - weekly Saturday but along with PIA watch for any updates

Wizz - Larnaca remains November but otherwise excellent - Vilnius 2 per week, soon to end weekly Riga, 2 per week Budapest, 2 per week Krakow and Warsaw with Wroclaw to restart 15/9, Bucharest now 4 per week, Iasi, Cluj and Craiova 2 per week
Vueling - 4 per week Barcelona
Aer Lingus - Daily Belfast City and 11 per week Dublin

KLM - Remains 3 a day 2 KLM and 1 CityHopper

Eurowings -Dusseldorf now 4 per week, Palma is not operating and Prague November

Blue Island - remains daily

Aurigny - remains 5 per week

Blue Air - Bucharest - 3 per week

Air India - Once a week inbound Friday outbound Saturday

Emirates appear unchanged daily B77W and 10 per week October

Austrian - Vienna March 22

SAS - Copenhagen November 2021

No news on Turkmen or Qatar

Seljuk22
16th Sep 2021, 16:14
Eurowings will offer flights to ARN next summer
https://newscloud.eurowings.com/en/meldungen/2021/q3/eurowings-opens-base-in-sweden.html

Downwind_Left
17th Sep 2021, 11:15
BA Cityflyer, 16 times weekly Belfast-City to Birmingham from 31st October, presumably replacing the Aer Lingus flights.
Generally 2 daily, 3 on Monday/Thursday/Friday, 1 on Saturday .

BA Media Centre (https://mediacentre.britishairways.com/news/09092021/british-airways-extends-its-uk-destinations-this-winter?ref=Home)

Alteagod
17th Sep 2021, 12:18
I believe EI still doing one rotation

Downwind_Left
17th Sep 2021, 20:02
I don’t think that’s the case, the EI flight just hasn’t been removed yet.

The evening BA and EI BHX-BHD flights operate to an identical schedule, which would be very strange for 2 partner airlines, to say nothing of the 278 seats on sale. I think EI just haven’t moved their bookings over to BA yet and closed the old flight for sale.

allan1987
17th Sep 2021, 20:59
Flights BA Cityflyer and EI only 10 mins a part, more likely EI bookings to be moved over when, BA add a evening flight on Tuesday's and Wednesday's. As it's likely that time table all flights not completely added for winter season

CabinCrewe
18th Sep 2021, 11:10
Surely all of this just temporary until they likely switch to ‘Emerald’ ATRs next year. I don't see BACF sticking with any of these once Europe /LCY back in full swing

GayFriendly
30th Sep 2021, 18:53
More good news!

Vueling to start BHX-ORY Mon, Wed and Frf from beginning of Nov,i in at 07.05,out at 08.00.

Given the limited AF schedule and lacl of interest from EZY to do BHX-CDG, this route should do well. They have previously operated of course but that was when there were what, 8 flights a day with AF and BE?

OltonPete
30th Sep 2021, 22:26
Hi GF

Loads last time were all over the place but in general they were improving and most would have been okay on an A320 unfortunately it was an A321.

As you say way more flights last time but no pandemic and reasonable flight times compared to awful timings from Orly.

Ryanair

Cork added for December is a good addition just Knock now required.

easyjet - Amsterdam, currently daily but by the end of November back to 4 days a week with 6 flights

Emirates - 10 per week from Saturday

Blue Air Bucharest ends Saturday until 1st December

Aer Lingus - finally removed the Belfast City service for November but still a gain in movements with CityFlyer taking it on

Wizz - Riga has now ended and some minor reductions in winter to Bucharest (Ryanair starting), Krakow (Ryanair increasing) and Warsaw remaining 2 per week. Budapest was showing 3 a week which is a positive

Some PIA branded flights due as well in October

PAXboy
10th Oct 2021, 20:18
The Eastern seasonal service to GIB - what equipment do they usually operat on this route?

The Nutts Mutts
10th Oct 2021, 20:34
I think it's down as an E190, but in practice it's variously been the E135, 170 and the 190 on different occasions.

Ben Smethurst
21st Oct 2021, 09:48
Hi everyone,
I just wondered if anyone knows what (if any) the TUI Dreamliner flights will in Dec/Jan. For example, the LPA route is nearly always B738 but suddenly shows a B787, is there anyway to find out?

golf yankee one one
24th Oct 2021, 10:42
Am I the only one to feel slight trepidation about the developing EZY AMS services, already sometimes twice daily? How likely is it that we will never see a return of the pre-COVID KL frequency on the route, or even a reduction of the current number of flights.
In normal times I used to find KL the most convenient and inexpensive way of reaching many African and Asian destinations, and I would be regularly inconvenienced if the KL link to AMS was only, lets say, twice daily. Thus, although EZY offering lower prices to AMS might be seen as increasing choice, the overall connectivity of BHX as a world airport would be reduced.

I think it is possible to develop a similar argument about the loss of legacy carriers to the US after low cost flights began, and, looking to the future, I fear that an LCC flying 321XLR to DXB might threaten our invaluable EK services.

CabinCrewe
24th Oct 2021, 13:05
aren't these completely different markets? I doubt many travelling to a secondary Asian city with KLM via AMS would be connecting with a low cost EZY flight. I don’t see KLM being phased by this.

GayFriendly
24th Oct 2021, 14:34
EZY and KL co-exist quite happily from MAN, EDI and GLA so why not BHX?

Don't forget BE flew BHX-AMS 4 or 5 times a day until their demise with healthy LF's. EZY are just picking up the re-developing demand for p2p,price sensitive travel to/from AMS whilst KL will continue to do what they do with connecting traffic.

Having said that, a recent Skyscanner search for BHX-BER gave EZY as an option via AMS on both legs with decent connections albeit without the ability to through check luggage. Might appeal to some and EZY serve a wide range of destinations from AMS.

chaps1954
24th Oct 2021, 15:06
As for a LCC to Dubai not a chance against EK, most people who fly to Dubai are mainly looking for service for their onward connections not low cost

hec7or
24th Oct 2021, 19:28
BA used to fly BHX - AMS 4 times a day using their Maersk franchise before they fobbed it off onto BA Connect /Flybe while KLM also operated. Despite good load factors, there's clearly no money in it.

MARK 101
24th Oct 2021, 19:56
A lot of KLMs BHX traffic was connecting to US ,Africa and the Far East. Whilst travel is recovering ,a lot of theses destinations are still a long way from pre pandemic levels . If we continue to open up as we are I have no doubt KLM will be back with higher frequencies eventually

OltonPete
25th Oct 2021, 19:31
Ben Smethurst

A famous search engine with flights at the end of it do show aircraft type on TUI flights, alas it is not always reliable in advance as I doubt TUI don't know from one month to the other at the moment.

A quick search for a few dates in December do not show any short-haul 787's in the first two weeks but actually do show the flights to be operated by the MAX.

I would think wide-body short-haul flying in December and January will depend on demand and the long-haul schedule which we know is likely to be a shadow of what would have operated in normal times.

The plan at the Moment is a Monday and Friday Cancun, Wednesday Montego Bay and Sunday Barbados with Punta Cana scrubbed for winter. However I have no idea about the cruise flights although I suspect some are planned as Barbados stats 15 November with 2 flights hours apart. However this should leave some scope for 787 short-haul flying unless aircraft are needed elsewhere. The last week has been fantastic with the upgrades but no doubt will settle down when the children return to school.

golf yankee one one

As GF states Flybe used to operate a minimum of 4 flights a day in the week to Amsterdam peaking at 7 during the winter for a few weeks and 5-6 regularly and if things do get back to normal both should be fine.

Also, don't forget Jet2 start Friday week, at twice a week as well and I am sure if they thought the market was too small they would not be bothering although it has been delayed several times for obvious reasons.

easyjet by the way are slashing Amsterdam to 4 per week from week 2 of November for several weeks. KLM I suspect will be more concerned in finding bigger aircraft for BHX and from next Monday the 190 night-stop changes to the 738/739 so they must be confident things are going in the right direction although the 4th daily service is now only showing from 16th December.

BA City Flyer - disappointing to see the service reduced before it starts but crewing seems to be an issue per other threads. Friday from three daily to one seems harsh but at least double daily Monday - Wednesday still I believe. easyjet still plan to increase Aldergrove with 5 daily showing Monday and Thursday next week so should be plenty of seats to go around

GayFriendly
27th Oct 2021, 20:15
Apparently starting flights from BHX and EDI to AYT in May 22, twice weekly from both airports....given that TK were due to operate BHX-AYT in 2021 and part own XQ it could be a credible rumour.

Not sure if Corendon are also planning to start in 2022, again they were due to fly to AYT 2021.

CabinCrewe
27th Oct 2021, 20:57
all these AYT flights seem overkill to me. TK and Sun Express simultaneously on same UK routes seems odd.

GayFriendly
28th Oct 2021, 10:00
I think SunExpress are in place of, not additional to.TK flights from both BHX and EDI?

Having said that, from BHX we have Jet2, TUI, SunExpress and possibly Corendon and AnadoluJet in S22 (both the latter were due to start in 2021) so yes, a lot of capacity as things stand now

BHX5DME
28th Oct 2021, 10:37
Turkish / AnadoluJet are the same thing, so is Sun Express replacing these ?

chaps1954
28th Oct 2021, 12:27
Not as far as I aware as both are advertised from several airport and Gatwick have already started and MAN has just seen THY planning an upgrade to B739

eggc
28th Oct 2021, 14:08
Antalya has many huge resorts that so far have few Brits there, but a growing reputation. AYT has massive potential for multiple dailys from the regions. Until I visited ( Lara Beach ) I had no idea of the scale of the place, and the quality and size of the hotels. It's now our european destination of choice for a sunshine holiday.

GayFriendly
17th Nov 2021, 07:25
Timetables for the EI/ Emerald operated BHX-BHD flights from 27th March as follows

4 x a day Mon, Thurs, Fri
3 x a day Tues, Wed, Sun
2 x a day Sat

So if you want to fly BA from Brum best book before 27th March!

Bloomberg reporting that Jazeera want to start BHX-KWI and MAN-KWI in next 6 months. They do have good onward connections to India so this could work, particularly as T5 don't seem to be planning to return to BHX

BHX5DME
17th Nov 2021, 07:40
Flybe has today announced that Birmingham Airport will be its new company headquarters and first new crew base.

Flybe will serve regions across the UK and EU with operations scheduled to begin in early 2022. Birmingham Airport’s Diamond House will be the location of the company’s new HQ and Operations Centre, in a move that is expected to create around 200 new jobs in the Birmingham and West Midlands region over the next three years, with an estimated additional 400 direct jobs to be created nationwide.

The news follows the April sale of the business and assets of Flybe Ltd (in administration, now renamed FBE Realisations Ltd) to Thyme Opco Limited (now renamed Flybe Limited).

Flybe CEO Dave Pflieger said: “We are thrilled to be partnering with Birmingham Airport (BHX), the City of Birmingham, and the Mayor of West Midlands to make BHX the location of our new headquarters and first crew base. It was an ideal choice for us due to its great people and highly skilled workforce, its central UK location, and the fact that Birmingham Airport is a global travel hub where local and connecting customers have access to over 150 worldwide destinations. Today’s announcement marks the culmination of over 12 months of dedicated hard work by all involved, and it would not have been possible without the support of the CAA and the UK Government.”

Andy Street, Mayor of West Midlands, said: “It really is such brilliant news that Flybe is coming back as a commercial airline, and even better that it has chosen Birmingham to house its new headquarters.

“Not only does this mean better domestic and international connectivity for our region as well as local jobs and opportunities being created here, but it’s yet another show of faith in the West Midlands with businesses choosing to commit to our region as we recover from the pandemic.

“Flybe’s choice highlights the strength of the aerospace sector in the West Midlands and the talent pool available, and I wish Dave and his team all the very best ahead of their official launch early next year.”

Nick Barton, chief executive, Birmingham Airport, added: “Flybe’s announcement that Birmingham has been chosen to become the headquarters for its launch next spring is fantastic news for our region’s connectivity needs, and it will bring with it some great new employment opportunities. Dave’s vast experience in managing start-up airlines and turnaround situations, coupled with the recovery of the Midlands’ economy post-Covid, means that Flybe’s return to the skies from Birmingham is a shot in the arm for our airport as well as West Midlands businesses and communities. We look forward to working with Dave and his team in preparation for next spring and to launch such a well-known brand here in Birmingham.”

Pflieger added: “I also want to emphasise that a key area of focus from day one for Flybe will be environmental sustainability and ensuring we do everything possible to reduce our carbon footprint and GHGs. Our entire fleet will be comprised of the De Havilland Canada Dash 8-400, which is a fast turboprop powered aircraft that can complete short journeys almost as quickly as a regional jet, but with lower CO2 emissions. In addition, we will also be partnering with local community charities and partners who are focused on the environment as well as other causes which align with our corporate goals and values.

“As for what’s next, please stay tuned. We plan to provide more information in the coming weeks and months about ticket prices, new routes and destinations, and other important news that will help customers visit loved ones, get away for a weekend, and get out on business trips. This is an incredibly exciting time for us, and we look forward to sharing more updates in the future.”

BHX5DME
3rd Dec 2021, 07:36
Flybe has appointed Assured Aviation Services as its ground handling partner at Birmingham Airport, creating more than 100 jobs.

As an airport services business, the Warwickshire-based company will provide full ground handling services for the airline including passenger, baggage, cargo and ramp handling and aircraft cleaning.

Part of the Assured Group, Assured Aviation Services currently operates from London Gatwick, Luton and Heathrow Airport.

The Flybe appointment will be the company’s first at Birmingham Airport.

Bill McPherson, head of airport and Cargo at Flybe, said: “We’re delighted to have appointed Assured Aviation Services as our full ground handing service partner following a competitive tender process. The team impressed us with their commitment to safety and their enthusiasm and demonstrated an understanding of Flybe’s vision and values. We look forward to working with them over the coming months as preparations ramp up towards our launch in early 2022.”

Andy Cruise, managing director at Assured Aviation Services, added: “We are proud to be working in partnership with Flybe at this very exciting time. We look forward to delivering a safe and punctual ground handling service at Birmingham Airport, providing all Flybe customers with an enhanced airport experience.”

The contract win follows the announcement that Birmingham Airport will be Flybe’s company headquarters and first crew base.

SWBKCB
3rd Dec 2021, 08:05
Assuming this isn't your own handiwork, always polite to quote sources :ok:

BHX5DME
3rd Dec 2021, 08:40
The Business Desk

GayFriendly
17th Dec 2021, 16:27
AGP 4 x weekly and PMI 5 x weekly both bookable April-October.

Nice to see EZY back on a couple of Med routes from BHX, maybe CFU will also appear as this operated in 2021? Don't think ALC and FAO ever got going in 2021 but I'm sure these would do well too.

Domestically, would be nice to see JER back as well, not holding my breath on NQY as I think loads were dire despite the supposed staycation boom.

inOban
17th Dec 2021, 17:06
I can foresee a lot of of EZY routes but all from their continental bases. Actually convenient for the PAX - no 6.00 departures or late night arrivals.

Matt995
22nd Dec 2021, 22:44
Emirates booking engine now showing the 2 class A380 returning daily on the EK39/40 service from 1st July, and the EK37/38 still remains 3 a week on the B777, however unconfirmed, the EK37/38 may go daily from the end of March.

GayFriendly
2nd Jan 2022, 16:05
Eastern have loaded BHX-GIB 2 x weekly Mon and Fri starting 22 Apr until mid October, looks like a GIB based aircraft

Flightrider
2nd Jan 2022, 17:00
It’s been there for ages and looks like a schedule which was on the inside of a SOU W pattern. Who knows if it’s real?

GayFriendly
4th Jan 2022, 15:00
Oh right well these flights are bookable so if they're not 'real' then Eastern need to update their website and take these flights off sale pronto. Hardly ethical to sell something you have no intention of providing!

CabinCrewe
4th Jan 2022, 18:36
Oh right well these flights are bookable so if they're not 'real' then Eastern need to update their website and take these flights off sale pronto. Hardly ethical to sell something you have no intention of providing!
But airlines do that the time…

OltonPete
6th Jan 2022, 22:19
Emirates booking engine now showing the 2 class A380 returning daily on the EK39/40 service from 1st July, and the EK37/38 still remains 3 a week on the B777, however unconfirmed, the EK37/38 may go daily from the end of March.

Some platforms also now showing Qatar daily from 27th March - hopefully a bit more completion for EK. However not for sale on their own website so could be a glitch.

Pete

simoncorbett
7th Jan 2022, 08:26
Do they have enough aircraft to operate these additional flights ?

FUMR
7th Jan 2022, 13:11
Do they have enough aircraft to operate these additional flights ?

I think that they will have looked into that!

Matt995
7th Jan 2022, 23:37
Some platforms also now showing Qatar daily from 27th March - hopefully a bit more completion for EK. However not for sale on their own website so could be a glitch.

Pete

Qatar flights now no longer showing on Google flights, there were never bookable anyways, so just a glitch in the system, not looking like a summer 2022 return.

fjencl
10th Jan 2022, 09:46
I see smartlynx is looking for cabin crew to be based at BHX and LGW January - October, so i was wondering who they are operating on behalf of this year at both BHX and LGW. They used to operate for Thomas Cook at BHX and LGW, so not sure who it is this time.
Thanks

OltonPete
10th Jan 2022, 12:26
I see smartlynx is looking for cabin crew to be based at BHX and LGW January - October, so i was wondering who they are operating on behalf of this year at both BHX and LGW. They used to operate for Thomas Cook at BHX and LGW, so not sure who it is this time.
Thanks

TUI I believe. Certainly one aircraft based at BHX in summer 2022 that is unidentified on certain platforms where the others are marked 787, 73 MAX or 737

Pete

fjencl
10th Jan 2022, 12:48
TUI I believe. Certainly one aircraft based at BHX in summer 2022 that is unidentified on certain platforms where the others are marked 787, 73 MAX or 737

Pete
Many thanks

RealFish
10th Jan 2022, 18:40
Qatar flights now no longer showing on Google flights, there were never bookable anyways, so just a glitch in the system, not looking like a summer 2022 return.

But possibly back in time for Qatar's World Cup?

BHX5DME
12th Jan 2022, 19:06
Hans Airways Update

Emerald Media - Hans Airways rings in the New Year with a Letter of Intent on first Airbus A330-200 (https://www.emeraldmedia.co.uk/5/news/2527/hans-airways-rings-in-the-new-year-with-a-letter-of-intent-on-first-airbus-a330-200/)

ImagineIf
14th Jan 2022, 11:33
Thanks

Its also widely expected that Jet2.com resume a leasing relationship with SmartLynx this summer. There was a contract in place for at least 4 A321's for SU20 before the pandemic hit, the A330 is back for MAN & I expect BHX will need some extra capacity too. Crew wise however, LS usually have damp lease arrangements and put its own Cabin Crew on the lease aircraft.

LBAflyer22
14th Jan 2022, 16:57
Its also widely expected that Jet2.com resume a leasing relationship with SmartLynx this summer. There was a contract in place for at least 4 A321's for SU20 before the pandemic hit, the A330 is back for MAN & I expect BHX will need some extra capacity too. Crew wise however, LS usually have damp lease arrangements and put its own Cabin Crew on the lease aircraft.

I believe the SmartLynx was 3 A321's for BHX. But they were also getting a HiFly A321 for Manchester - I wonder if they will look at developing a relationship with HiFly above SmartLynx. Jet2 seem to like developing a relationship with an ACMI carrier - such as the relationship with Air Tanker (3 A330's for S20), Titan (4 A321's for S20) etc.

BHX5DME
16th Jan 2022, 11:18
Nice to see a 747-400 freighter in BHX today albeit a Bournemouth diversion but cargo is being off loaded.
Redwings 777 later too.
BHX booming on the freight.

CVTDog
5th Feb 2022, 18:49
Site security was really bad this morning - BHX Twitter was super busy with complaints and the usual copy-paste answers. Surprisingly no mitigation was put in place with only 4 out of 14 scanners open. Brother off to Ireland this morning and end to end took him 2.5 hours to get through. Looking at later posts on twitter it got no better in the afternoon with the queue stretching out into the main area of the second floor.

Waiting for the COVID explanation to be coming ..............

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/551x317/screenshot_2022_02_05__af4c2ca9e4deb9e1a49989389fdd26f44f8cf d8a.png

RogueOne
11th Feb 2022, 18:23
Looks like Emirates are taking over the advertising on the BHX ATC tower.

https://publicaccess.solihull.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=R5YK79OEIY700

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/679x706/bhx_d399b6c84f2f4c2d3c38f3cf5025c857955a80df.png

Musket90
11th Feb 2022, 20:12
Now that's what I call an obstruction light. I think it's OTT on the requirements

ssflyer
12th Feb 2022, 15:11
Perhaps to welcome back the A380?

GayFriendly
15th Feb 2022, 11:01
Apparently Flybe rumoured to be announcing their routes this week? Let's hope they also announce start dates as well! I know of a couple of people who have finished their cabin crew training

I'm assuming any routes announced are more than likely going to be in direct competition with another carrier, can't think of any ex BE version 1 routes that weren't taken over apart from a couple of seasonal French routes and the Embraer operated BER, STR, MXP and LYS.

vulcanite
2nd Mar 2022, 15:50
The local pub in my village had to apply for Planning Permission for an illuminated sign. Size about 4ft x 3ft. Refused...

simoncorbett
3rd Mar 2022, 08:05
Ryanair twice weekly BHX to Bordeaux from late June, away based aircraft

crewmeal
7th Mar 2022, 16:05
No EK 380 this year then......

EK 380 (https://simpleflying.com/emirates-pulls-airbus-a380-from-8-cities-rest-of-2022/)

ATNotts
7th Mar 2022, 17:01

EK 380 (https://simpleflying.com/emirates-pulls-airbus-a380-from-8-cities-rest-of-2022/)

If forward passenger demand is still a little weak then it makes sense to retain 2 x daily 777 especially as the Russia / Ukraine has grounded a lot of cargo capacity in the form of Air Bridge who were uplifting a fair amount of cargo from the far east. With that capacity lost, possibly for a while, cargo rates should continue to be pretty good (from a carrier perspective) and the uplift on a 777 is better I believe on a 380.

If PAX demand picks up then the fares will rise, making it a win-win situation for the airline.

OltonPete
15th Mar 2022, 19:48

Shame as if loads remain as they are 2 x 77W will mean pax going elsewhere but not Qatar if their press release is anything to go by.

3 million pax and Faro added (https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/)

Wizz Craiova goes 3 per week in mid April and Wroclaw brought forward to 2 May from July

Pete

GayFriendly
16th Mar 2022, 13:43
Apparently a formal announcement next week according to Belfast City press release about Flybe base there.

All routes/destinatiions will be announced and bookable from BHX and BHD. Flybe CEO makes a rather grand statement about flying to many UK and EU cities....I highly doubt that now but shows they have aspirations for growth

Hopefully all will work out for them!

chinapattern
12th Apr 2022, 20:32
EasyJet have announced a seasonal flight to Nantes - two weekly (mon/fri) from June.

OltonPete
13th Apr 2022, 22:08
EasyJet have announced a seasonal flight to Nantes - two weekly (mon/fri) from June.

Can't find it in the easyjet press releases but I can find it on a few forums although it is now bookable in the easyjet APP but only within the last hour or so and still not on the Internet site.

I think it was announced internally or to the handler.

Not great timings for UK based weekend breaks but good for Monday out-Friday return - Monday 07:45 in 08:15 out and Friday 20:00 in 20:30 out

Pete

SealinkBF
9th May 2022, 13:04
Problems today at Birmingham...

Airline passengers forced to wait outside airport for hours (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/airline-passengers-forced-to-wait-outside-airport-for-hours/ar-AAX4743?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=40cc71c08825454ebe9ba779f5030c8b)

ATNotts
9th May 2022, 14:00
Problems today at Birmingham...

Airline passengers forced to wait outside airport for hours (msn.com) (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/airline-passengers-forced-to-wait-outside-airport-for-hours/ar-AAX4743?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=40cc71c08825454ebe9ba779f5030c8b)
Passengers, who would have them? And whatever next, turning up for planned flights?

ssflyer
3rd Jun 2022, 16:27
It is nearly a month since the last post.
The skies are busy, so BHX must be still operating?

OltonPete
3rd Jun 2022, 16:58
It is nearly a month since the last post.
The skies are busy, so BHX must be still operating?

Crazy few weeks for me but other than reporting the chaos there seemed little point as such matters have been more than covered on other threads.

That aside - aircraft wise BHX has been as excellent as ever covering airliners, freight and GA (ignoring the handling side of matters).

The National 744's have finished but again still a brief and excellent addition operating to Houston (not sure who for) and as I type this another AN12 has landed plus Fleet Air of Hungary have been virtually based here this week.

GA wise you can never tell what is a BHX flight or redirected from down south but still very steady.

Another ex Flybe route started today Ryanair to Bordeaux twice a week from the French base.

Schedules continue to be flexible for the likes of KLM (cancellations), Air France (A321's and extras), Lufthansa (increase on Munich but still just below pre-covid levels), Brussels Airlines (slight increase but well below pre-covid levels), Swiss are static, Emerald up to 3 daily on Belfast City and loads are good I believe but of course it is bank holiday. Flybe are well Flybe but most flights operate usually on the right day:ouch:, TUI has a brilliant schedule which has started to settle down now after the well-publicised disaster of last weekend. Jet2 are doing okay with 13 based, a few issues with 321's and I am sure they would prefer more on-time departures but again things seem to be easing.

easyjet up until Wednesday were cancelling something most days, usually an Amsterdam, Belfast, Glasgow or Edinburgh but the Med services seem unaffected.

Wizz are just missing Wroclaw which bizarrely operated 4 times in May and is back in August at an increased frequency.

Turkish to Antalya seems to be doing okay despite the lovely times and Istanbul is all over the place but usually 10-11 services per week with double daily still planned for July I believe

Emirates no change and Air India plod on with a weekly Amritsar although BHX was showing another on Wednesday which I assume was planned ages ago and cancelled.

Blue Air Bucharest was also due back in July but not checked recently to see if it still on.

Based on April stats I would say were Vueling Orly, Eurowings Prague and Stockholm were the strugglers and it will be interesting to see how they do as they might start to pick up with as summer goes on and Orly is showing some better signs but again not great flight times.

Sun Express are back to 3 per week on Antalya and Corendon have maintained their schedule where I believe some airports haven't.

Pete

Flying Wild
3rd Jun 2022, 21:41
Are Qatar ever likely to be coming back?

ssflyer
3rd Jun 2022, 21:55
Pete
Interesting that EK seems to get away whilst the holiday airlines struggle, sometimes badly.
Also, many peeps are unlikely to book with Tui or JET2 with having to turn up at 4am to fly out and maybe arrive back after 2am
Scheduling Madness, I'd rather go to EMA for a late morning flight with a return mid evening

BHX5DME
3rd Jun 2022, 22:00
BHX Route Development Team in Vietnam at Routes Asia 2022, great to see them back on the road again and talking to airlines face to face

Matt995
4th Jun 2022, 00:35
Pete
Interesting that EK seems to get away whilst the holiday airlines struggle, sometimes badly.
Also, many peeps are unlikely to book with Tui or JET2 with having to turn up at 4am to fly out and maybe arrive back after 2am
Scheduling Madness, I'd rather go to EMA for a late morning flight with a return mid evening

Yes its quite noticeable that all the Emirates flights do tend to get away on time, so must be some contract agreement that they get priority handling by swissport? Maybe they pay more for the service that the likes of TUI? Jet2 of course are self-handling.

I don't see the time of TUI/Jet2 flights are any different at EMA compared to any other airports? First wave of departures at all airports are always around 06:00-09:00, with second waves at around 13:00-15:00, and the third wave around 17:00-20:00. EMA of course has less aircraft based (only 3 TUI compared to 11/12 at BHX for example) but are still prone to handling issues/ATC delays/crewing issues like any other UK airport, and of course most of TUI long haul flights from BHX are late morning, where as EMA don't have any long haul.

LTNman
4th Jun 2022, 12:16
Not enough baggage handlers

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tui-makes-plea-birmingham-airport-24110183

ATNotts
4th Jun 2022, 13:03
Not enough baggage handlers

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/tui-makes-plea-birmingham-airport-24110183

What a coincidence - two companies; Swissport and TUI!

That said these rags, and sadly The Birmingham Mil is now essentially a rag, will pick up on any story and run with it, never mind what the back story might have been - things like equipment failure possibly, not to mention the virus who's name shall not be uttered but continues to cause problems.

Getting bags when they are eventually released could I suppose be a problem since, in the wonderful world of Brexit, HMRC are taking a much closer interest in the contents of holidaymaker's luggage if my recent experience of the operation at Eurotunnel Calais is a benchmark for how things are being handled at UK airports.

Rutan16
4th Jun 2022, 14:53
What a coincidence - two companies; Swissport and TUI!

That said these rags, and sadly The Birmingham Mil is now essentially a rag, will pick up on any story and run with it, never mind what the back story might have been - things like equipment failure possibly, not to mention the virus who's name shall not be uttered but continues to cause problems.

Getting bags when they are eventually released could I suppose be a problem since, in the wonderful world of Brexit, HMRC are taking a much closer interest in the contents of holidaymaker's luggage if my recent experience of the operation at Eurotunnel Calais is a benchmark for how things are being handled at UK airports.

Been having a similar discussion over the skyscraper site about the reintroduction of tariffs and duties among other “B” related issues,

I’ll drop some salient points here

Someone raised the fact we are back to the point where you can’t bring in a estate load of cheap plonk ( local duty paid) undeclared

my reply:

Strictly speaking in the single market area, duties are paid locally so no double tax at retail ( That is the central principle a work)

Wholesale things are a little different and whilst the Euro is the central currency international transactions retain a charge of around 2%.

Also prior the reintroduction of the UKGT based table of duty free allowances and tariffs the UK customs rules retained a fair and personal use clause .
A transit van load of cigs and/or beer could and indeed many were regularly seized under these restrictions.

An official personal spend of just £347.80 product imported tax free ain’t a lot
Advance declaration on line nearly doubles that to £630 however how many of the general public will be aware - suggest single figures!

Similar doubling of allowances for alcohol and tobacco products can be achieved by logged online and in advance of UK entry.
Like everything else post Brexit things have been made so Bl**dy complex !

Your experience at Dover pretty much demonstrates this in action.

Rutan16
4th Jun 2022, 14:59
From the same source there is a fluff editorial link posted to something’s said by Nick Barton to the media

Plenty hot air and little substance imho

Still banging the we are the third London Airport in waiting and that the Commonwealth Games are a platform on which to build

A little sort of apology for the current mess also

As to market dominant Low cost carriers Easy/Ryan/ Wizz/ Jet2 even Eurowings and Vueling are all present

Does he mean Flybe 2.0 growth ?

Can you reconcile mimicking what he did at Luton with the aspirations of steeling traffic volumes from North London on a high speed train and what sort of services would those require?

No disrespect an airport CEO talking positively at the moment ( contents hot air or not) is refreshing !

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d5013ce0-e353-11ec-8bdd-c253e043f5f0?shareToken=c23512cb4ada08ce8b1b8432c8b1795a

Courtesy of cmpd1

AvGeek1
21st Jun 2022, 19:45
Really unsure why easyJet doesn't set up sort of operation up at Birmingham or even run some routes from some of their bases. Think there are quite a few markets they could serve from here that would be good routes for them, to run successfully alongside their Luton operation and without upsetting Ryanair. I've thought of the following, let me know what you think.

Paris CDG (competition for Air France, undercut them in price but still good enough fares. Vueling from Orly also operates, but at two times a week - not a good enough schedule to compete)
Berlin (unserved market)
Lisbon (unserved market)
Mykonos (summer seasonal, unserved market)
Reykjavik (served by Jet2 on low frequency in winter by the looks of it. Connected to many other UK airports and does well, easyJet from Luton route is year round and more frequency than you think)
Mlian MXP (unserved market, Ryanair serves BGY at low frequency)
Nice (unserved market)
Rome (served by Jet2, low frequency)
Naples (served by TUI 1 weekly and Jet2 two weekly)

SWBKCB
21st Jun 2022, 19:56
Really unsure why easyJet doesn't set up sort of operation up at Birmingham or even run some routes from some of their bases. Think there are quite a few markets they could serve from here that would be good routes for them, to run successfully alongside their Luton operation and without upsetting Ryanair. I've thought of the following, let me know what you think.

Paris CDG (competition for Air France, undercut them in price but still good enough fares)
Berlin (unserved market)
Lisbon (unserved market)
Reykjavik (connected to many other UK airports and does well, easyJet from Luton route is year round and more frequency than you think)
Nice (unserved market)

Have you seen the news recently? EZY ae struggling to operate the routes they've already got!

AvGeek1
21st Jun 2022, 20:00
Yeah well aware, like most large-scale airlines this summer out of the back of COVID, I'm sure next summer will be back to some normality.

jethro15
21st Jun 2022, 20:02
................I've thought of the following, let me know what you think.
They cannot currently cover their own schedules at the moment, let alone consider opening up a new base.
I'm sure next summer will be back to some normality.
I admire your optimism.

planedrive
21st Jun 2022, 20:52

Paris CDG (competition for Air France, undercut them in price but still good enough fares. Vueling from Orly also operates, but at two times a week - not a good enough schedule to compete)
Berlin (unserved market)
Lisbon (unserved market)
Reykjavik (served by Jet2 on low frequency in winter by the looks of it. Connected to many other UK airports and does well, easyJet from Luton route is year round and more frequency than you think)
Nice (unserved market)

easyJet have requested slots for Milan, Lisbon and Paris (Orly) for this winter from BHX. I'm sure more of your list will be filled in in the next few years https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

nwoody2001
22nd Jun 2022, 11:13
Ryanair announced flying 2x weekly from BHX-LIS from 1st Nov, bookable now!

Jet2 increasing BHX-FCO from 2x weekly to 4x weekly next summer.

...but suspect both routes could accommodate additional capacity and competition

GayFriendly
22nd Jun 2022, 18:26
Great to see LIS back in Nov, FR suspended over summer due to a slot spat I think. Pity Jet2 haven't picked it up again as well, they were going to launch BHX-LIS pre-Covid but no sign of it in their city break 2023 press relesse

I've long been an advocate of more EZY flights from BHX. Just my thoughts but I think they'd do well on BHX to FCO, MXP, BER, LYS, MAD and VIE. Trouble is they can barely operate the network they've got let alone expand from BHX but let's hope these winter slot applications make the light of day

SWBKCB
24th Jun 2022, 12:13
The chief executive of Birmingham Airport has been given a 49% pay rise, angering trade unions. Nick Barton's annual wage has risen from £399,000 to £595,000. It comes as air travellers have been experiencing long delays and cancellations. Jane Nellist, president of Coventry Trade Union Council, said the pay was "absolutely disgraceful", but airport board member John McNicholas said it was "paying the appropriate rate".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-61917259

BHX5DME
29th Jun 2022, 10:34
4 new routes just announced by Ryanair all start late Oct / Early Nov and all 2 pw

Billund
Stockholm-ARN
Toulouse
Santander

nwoody2001
29th Jun 2022, 12:45
4 new routes just announced by Ryanair all start late Oct / Early Nov and all 2 pw

Billund
Stockholm-ARN
Toulouse
Santander

5 New Routes

Billund
Grenoble
Santander
Stockholm
Toulouse

(Plus Bordeaux that has gone from summer seasonal to year round)

chinapattern
29th Jun 2022, 20:49
5 New Routes

Billund
Grenoble
Santander
Stockholm
Toulouse

(Plus Bordeaux that has gone from summer seasonal to year round)

If you include Lisbon you’ve got 7 new winter routes - surely a record for Ryanair at BHX?

LGS6753
30th Jun 2022, 13:17
These new routes will increase the based fleet to 5, of which 2 are to be Max 8200s.

GayFriendly
30th Jun 2022, 15:43
Very happy to see FR expanding again at BHX after a long period of relative stagnation. The relationship between BHX and FR must have warmed up a bit!

Am a bit surprised about Santander to be honest, it's not really a winter destination but let's see

Billund is nice to have back, I used it before and it's a cheap way to access and explore Denmark - however there's nothing of interest in Billund itself unless you like Lego. Sadly I think the vast majority of people only think of Copenhagen.....

With LIS and BOD as well this is a cracking winter schedule from FR, fingers crossed they might even base a 6th next summer....

chinapattern
30th Jun 2022, 21:44
Am a bit surprised about Santander to be honest, it's not really a winter destination but let's see

I do find it a bit strange that Ryanair think they can fill flights from BHX to the likes of Santander, Billund and to be honest even Stockholm when to me there are more obvious un/under served markets such as Nice, Marseille, Berlin, Rome, Pisa, Venice, Riga….the list is pretty much endless.

davidjohnson6
30th Jun 2022, 23:59
I do find it a bit strange that Ryanair think they can fill flights from BHX to the likes of Santander, Billund and to be honest even Stockholm when to me there are more obvious un/under served markets such as Nice, Marseille, Berlin, Rome, Pisa, Venice, Riga….the list is pretty much endless.

Do airports like Nice have capacity at times which would suit FR and a BHX route ?

Buster the Bear
1st Jul 2022, 23:07

All depends upon financial incentives.

GayFriendly
2nd Jul 2022, 13:21
Am amazed that FR hasn't looked at Berlin. The twice weekly EMA flight loads well so I'm sure there's enough demand to go round both EMA and BHX.

I go to Berlin a lot and really miss the Flybe service, it's a pain to have to go from MAN, EMA or LHR. And before the chorus of 'you can fly via FRA, MUC, BRU, CDG or AMS' yes I know but have done connecting flights in the past, all of which have gone badly wrong with delays, missed connections and lost baggage so no, I'm not prepared to do connecting flights BHX-BER anymore

As for Santander and Billund, yes financial incentives play a big part, just like Poitiers, Bologna, Trapani, Montpellier, Trieste and others offered by FR from BHX in the past, they'll probably last as long as the financial incentives do! I think TLS and ARN will do OK.

BA318
2nd Jul 2022, 13:47
Am amazed that FR hasn't looked at Berlin. The twice weekly EMA flight loads well so I'm sure there's enough demand to go round both EMA and BHX.

I go to Berlin a lot and really miss the Flybe service, it's a pain to have to go from MAN, EMA or LHR. And before the chorus of 'you can fly via FRA, MUC, BRU, CDG or AMS' yes I know but have done connecting flights in the past, all of which have gone badly wrong with delays, missed connections and lost baggage so no, I'm not prepared to do connecting flights BHX-BER anymore

As for Santander and Billund, yes financial incentives play a big part, just like Poitiers, Bologna, Trapani, Montpellier, Trieste and others offered by FR from BHX in the past, they'll probably last as long as the financial incentives do! I think TLS and ARN will do OK.

ARN goes up against Eurowings who were apparently not doing too well on that route. They haven’t covered themselves in glory in Sweden with lots of cancellations and problems at Arlanda.

BHX5DME
2nd Jul 2022, 13:56
ARN goes up against Eurowings who were apparently not doing too well on that route. They haven’t covered themselves in glory in Sweden with lots of cancellations and problems at Arlanda.
Eurowings BHX-ARN loads have picked up really well recently just as they start now to canx flights !

GayFriendly
3rd Jul 2022, 09:58
I've seen that Eurowings cancelled both BHX-ARN flights last week.....shame as I see fares have been steadily going up in recent weeks so I'm assuming loads have.too. Very good flight timings too for a long weekend away

Is there room for both? Not sure, ARN has always been a tricky route from BHX. I've not seen any promotion for the Eurowings service at all which possibly hasn't helped loads.

BA318
3rd Jul 2022, 10:33
I've seen that Eurowings cancelled both BHX-ARN flights last week.....shame as I see fares have been steadily going up in recent weeks so I'm assuming loads have.too. Very good flight timings too for a long weekend away

Is there room for both? Not sure, ARN has always been a tricky route from BHX. I've not seen any promotion for the Eurowings service at all which possibly hasn't helped loads.

Its been heavily promoted here in Sweden. Eurowings ads on tv and all over the subway and billboards. Although as I mentioned before there are lots of stories here about nightmare trips with Eurowings since they opened the ARN base.

Budfrey27
3rd Jul 2022, 10:34
If I remember correctly, when monarch flew the route, they had very good loads from the get go. Think Ryanair will do fine on the route, if not very well.​​​​​

Pain in the R's
11th Jul 2022, 04:16
Birmingham airport flights delayed longest in 2021 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62112211

“Flights from Birmingham Airport had the longest delays in 2021, analysis of Civil Aviation Authority data suggests”.

“The BBC reported in June that the annual wage of the airport's chief executive Nick Barton rose by 49% from £399,000 to £595,000 last year, angering trade unions”.

BHX5DME
14th Jul 2022, 11:47
Emirates will re-start their 3rd daily flight to BHX tomorrow
EK5007/5008 now showing on arrivals
I understand this to cope with the local demand and extra pressures of LHR cap.

chaps1954
14th Jul 2022, 11:54
Sounds an odd flight number more like an extra than a schedule

ATNotts
14th Jul 2022, 12:32
Sounds an odd flight number more like an extra than a schedule
​​​​​​That flight number suggests its a rerouting of EK007/8. An extra BHX would more likely have a BHX flight number prefixed with a '5'.

crewmeal
14th Jul 2022, 13:21
Is this due to Heathrow demanding airlines cut their schedules I wonder. if so EK7 and 8 is operated by an A380.

on the other hand:

https://news.sky.com/story/flight-chaos-legal-battle-looms-as-emirates-rejects-heathrows-demand-it-cuts-services-12651782

BHX5DME
15th Jul 2022, 08:22
Todays EK5007/8 now removed, I believe EK are in talks with LHR

chinapattern
21st Jul 2022, 20:27
Ryanair adding Venice-Marco Polo x2 weekly from 24th December.

OltonPete
28th Jul 2022, 21:56
Ryanair adding Venice-Marco Polo x2 weekly from 24th December.

Should be fine running alongside Jet2 and same with easyjet Lisbon with FR. Shame easy seem to be flying Saturday as one of their days matching Ryanair. Also the ACL report indicated Orly and Milan by easyjet but nothing mentioned as yet.

In other news......Flybe started Edinburgh & Glasgow today with the ATR seemed to go okay although Belfast and Amsterdam were late again tonight.

Strange goings on with Turkey with TK Antalya having a break from Sunday for at least 2 months not load related for sure.

Pete

VickersVicount
2nd Aug 2022, 14:55
So with the arrival of ‘Hans’ knees and boompsidaisey A330, will this ever get off the ground?

ATNotts
2nd Aug 2022, 15:38
So with the arrival of ‘Hans’ knees and boompsidaisey A330, will this ever get off the ground?
I am not about to bet the house on that, same goes for FlyPop.

GayFriendly
3rd Aug 2022, 12:50
BHX - NCE twice weekly with Jet2 May -Oct 2023 just announced. Was going to start in 2021 but didn't for obvious reasons ...a excellent addition for BHX.

BHX getting some much needed expansion from FR and EZY as well this winter but still lacking some key routes - Milan MXP, Berlin, Vienna, Lyon spring to mind. Doesn't look like Austrian are returning to BHX - VIE after starting just before COVID lockdown.

BHX5DME
3rd Aug 2022, 14:09
BHX - NCE twice weekly with Jet2 May -Oct 2023 just announced. Was going to start in 2021 but didn't for obvious reasons ...a excellent addition for BHX.

BHX getting some much needed expansion from FR and EZY as well this winter but still lacking some key routes - Milan MXP, Berlin, Vienna, Lyon spring to mind. Doesn't look like Austrian are returning to BHX - VIE after starting just before COVID lockdown.

No sign of either Austrian or Qatar returning to BHX

crewmeal
12th Aug 2022, 07:10
Easy to expand to 10 routes now. (Courtesy of Simply Flying)

Easyjet to Lisbon (https://simpleflying.com/easyjet-birmingham-lisbon-new-route-analysis/)

hoody
28th Aug 2022, 16:20
What's the latest on the extension to the departure lounge?

​​​​​

danielsirrom
4th Sep 2022, 09:58
We flew back into Birmingham from Skiathos on Friday, the TUI flight was 2.5 hours delayed leaving Birmingham in the morning. Most TUI flights were delayed that morning, some 7 hours plus. On boarding in Skiathos the TUI captain told us their supplier had run out of aviation fuel in Birmingham that morning and the other supplier had prioritised their competitor (I presume Jet2?). He had actually planned to hop to East Midlands to take on fuel but then fuel turned up. Another holiday maker in Skiathos said they'd seen something on social media saying fuel protesters were to blame. Is there any truth in this? Is there a media blackout on this info to block publicity? Nothing on the news, google search nor Twitter. Anyone know anything? Is running out of aviation fuel something that's known to happen?

ATNotts
4th Sep 2022, 10:17
We flew back into Birmingham from Skiathos on Friday, the TUI flight was 2.5 hours delayed leaving Birmingham in the morning. Most TUI flights were delayed that morning, some 7 hours plus. On boarding in Skiathos the TUI captain told us their supplier had run out of aviation fuel in Birmingham that morning and the other supplier had prioritised their competitor (I presume Jet2?). He had actually planned to hop to East Midlands to take on fuel but then fuel turned up. Another holiday maker in Skiathos said they'd seen something on social media saying fuel protesters were to blame. Is there any truth in this? Is there a media blackout on this info to block publicity? Nothing on the news, google search nor Twitter. Anyone know anything? Is running out of aviation fuel something that's known to happen?

It certainly happened at BHX earlier in the Summer, and eco-protesters were the cause. Ridiculous really when, if I recall correctly their is a pipeline to Kingsbury Oil Terminal which has never, or rarely been used, hence why a few extremists can effectively stop the supply of fuel to the ramp.

On the subject of media coverage the Coventry Telegraph seemed pretty quick to report an EasyJet aircraft "skidding to a stop" en-route to BFS after bird debris was reported by a previous departure. There was me thinking modern aircraft had anti-skid brake systems!!! No point in making a link to the story since PPRuNe still seems to have issues, but suffice to say it's little more than you might expect from a "Reach" rag!

danielsirrom
4th Sep 2022, 10:27
It certainly happened at BHX earlier in the Summer, and eco-protesters were the cause. Ridiculous really when, if I recall correctly their is a pipeline to Kingsbury Oil Terminal which has never, or rarely been used, hence why a few extremists can effectively stop the supply of fuel to the ramp.

On the subject of media coverage the Coventry Telegraph seemed pretty quick to report an EasyJet aircraft "skidding to a stop" en-route to BFS after bird debris was reported by a previous departure. There was me thinking modern aircraft had anti-skid brake systems!!! No point in making a link to the story since PPRuNe still seems to have issues, but suffice to say it's little more than you might expect from a "Reach" rag!

Yes there was loads of coverage of the easyjet BFS flight thrown up by a simple search on Birmingham Airport that day, but absolutely nothing on the delays/fuel shortage. What I don't understand is how a media blackout would keep the story off twitter

ATNotts
4th Sep 2022, 10:37
Yes there was loads of coverage of the easyjet BFS flight thrown up by a simple search on Birmingham Airport that day, but absolutely nothing on the delays/fuel shortage. What I don't understand is how a media blackout would keep the story off twitter

If it had made Tw@tter then you can be sure it would have made a "Reach" publication near you, and got wide coverage through the dreadful "Google Discover" tool.

hec7or
4th Sep 2022, 11:04
The fuel pipeline to Kingsbury isn't in use any more, fuel supplies have been disrupted more than once and the fuel companies have asked crews to tanker inbound a few times this year, Covid and fuel protestors being the main reasons.
Emirates suck up a lot of the available supply

SWBKCB
4th Sep 2022, 16:18
An airport spokesman told BirminghamLive: "In the latter half of last week, the local depot, which supplies fuel to our on-site fuel vendors, had problems with its fuel-mixing process.

"This slowed down the flow of usable aviation fuel into BHX, prompting us to ask aircraft flying in, if possible, to hold enough fuel to make their return trips without needing to refuel here.

"We also sourced fuel from other depots across the country to ensure aircraft who did need to refuel were able to. This supply issue is now resolved.”

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-airport-passengers-report-three-24926787

danielsirrom
4th Sep 2022, 18:47
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-airport-passengers-report-three-24926787

​​​​​​Thanks, interestingly dated this afternoon

SWBKCB
4th Sep 2022, 18:50
​​​​​​Thanks, interestingly dated this afternoon

Never underestimate the power of Pprune...

OltonPete
4th Sep 2022, 21:49

Friday I would imagine was one of those days the airport/airlines at BHX would want to forget quickly. TUI schedule decimated, 788 didn't fly requiring a Hi Fly A330 Saturday to operate the Friday Tenerife, two 737 flights went out Friday morning and didn't operate inbound until Saturday. Wamos A330 today to operate a Saturday 737 flight knock-on effect from Friday. Added to all that on Friday, easyjet Belfast aborted take-off resulting in a six hour delay, easyJet Edinburgh-Geneva diverted in with a medical emergency briefly delaying movements, all Lufthansa Frankfurt services cancelled due strike action and other airlines handled by Swissport were suffering delays of two hours plus as well.

September

SAS are back again tomorrow on Copenhagen

easyjet

Nantes might have ended Friday as planned but Amsterdam is back to what it was starting at double daily although not too long before Wednesday and Sunday end up at once daily

Amsterdam 07:20-07:50 & 15:25-15:55 - slight time differences on some days

Glasgow - Three daily Monday, Tuesday Thursday (not new) & Friday (no doubt will cheer up Flybe no end)

Palma - stays 4 per week Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (from Friday) & Sunday

Ryanair

Malaga goes from 11 - 9 per week with Monday & Tuesday changing to one flight

Dublin - Tuesday staying at 3 daily but Saturday back to 4 daily & Sunday back to 6. Corfu goes from 3 to 1 but not until 1st October

Jet2

From 14 operational to 13 most days with several frequencies reduced as planned but also Prague and Budapest restored on Friday at twice weekly and Rome back to 4 per week

Amsterdam has of course gone and Jersey now ends in September with Krakow still not restarting until February but Reykjavik returns at the end of the month. I had a quick look at this Friday and I could not see a replacement for the Amsterdam or Krakow service which were due to restart

TUI

One of the two Monday Corfu flights ends to tomorrow, Girona on Tuesday, Friday night Palma has ended already with Salzburg Saturday then a sprinkling of flights ending throughout the month but overall still excellent......well except time-keeping

Wizz

Wroclaw drops back to 2 per week as planned but all the rest continue

SAS

Copenhagen is back tomorrow 6 per week CRJ9 operated by Cityjet 10:00 - 10:40 Monday - Friday and Sunday 11:20-12:00 - over £600 one way tomorrow

Swiss

Now 5 per week with Tuesday added. Monday and Tuesday morning with Thursday, Friday and Sunday evening (E290 Monday & Thursday + E295 the west)

Brussels Airlines

The night-stop is already back making 2 daily in the week but on Tuesday this week the late afternoon is non-ops

Lufthansa

Frankfurt in general is 3 daily but only 2 Frankfurt flights on Friday and Munich is 2 on Thursday instead of 3

Eurowings

No change as far as I can see but Dusseldorf this week is A319 Monday am & evening YL-CSF A223, Tuesday both A223's, Wednesday 319/320, Thursday both A223's, Friday A223 in the morning and A320 in the evening with A320 on Sunday

Turkish

Antalya operates days 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 17, 18, 25 this month and Istanbul remains double daily until 3 October when it is daily for 2 weeks then 10-11 per week

Sun Express no change at present but still seems to increase to 6 per week at the end of the month

Air France

3 daily with the first 2 outbounds mainline and 3rd HOP. A321 tomorrow on AF1164/5 the rest are A319's/A320 mix at this time

KLM

Mainly back to 5 daily in the week although KL1433/4 non-ops Tuesday. KL1421/2 E295's Monday - Thursday, 73G Friday and KL1425/6. KL1433/4 Friday is an E190 not 175. Saturday & Sunday are 4 daily and 1421 on Saturday is a 738

Flybe

Brest ends Saturday

Aer Lingus

EI262/3 reverts to mainline A320

Corendon

Oh dear

Dalaman has ended already and Antalya will be Sunday only (11:45 out) from next Monday - still showing this Tuesday and Thursday (13:15-14:15) as final flights

Blue Air

Another delay now back to 1 November - not looking good as this is the third delay

No major change to Emirates, Air India, Vueling, Loganair, Blue Island and Aurigny

Possibility of a couple of announcements in the next few weeks apparently but details sketchy - not Qatar and Austrian as far as I know.

Pete

Matt995
4th Sep 2022, 23:02
NOTAM was published for all pilots on Friday about the fuel situation:-

C5092/22 (https://metar-taf.com/notam/EGBB/208977) Sep 2, 2022 14:42 LT New EGBB

FUEL LIMITED DUE TO SUPPLY CHAIN. AIRLINES ADVISED TO CONTACT
THEIR FUEL SUPPLIERS FOR UPDATES. OPERATORS MUST CARRY ROUND TRIP
FUEL AND / OR TANKER FUEL ON INBOUND SECTORS WHERE POSSIBLE TO
MINIMISE UPLIFT AT AD. 02 SEP 14:41 2022 UNTIL 03 SEP 16:00 2022. CREATED: 02
SEP 14:42 2022

BHX5DME
9th Sep 2022, 14:09
Air India to increase BHX-India from 03.10.22

Delhi - Fri & Sun
Amritsar - Mon & Sat

With further increases to follow

ATNotts
9th Sep 2022, 14:53
Air India to increase BHX-India from 03.10.22

Delhi - Fri & Sun
Amritsar - Mon & Sat

With further increases to follow
Coincidence that's about four weeks before Hans Airways planned start? Surely not!

GayFriendly
10th Sep 2022, 07:01
I'm sure it's just a complete coincidence.....

Having said that, with no QR or T5 anymore, there's probably enough demand to go round and room for both on BHX - ATQ. I hope they both thrive.

chinapattern
10th Sep 2022, 15:01
Are their bilateral issues which prevent service from the UAE carriers? Seems a perfect route for FlyDubai?

Rutan16
11th Sep 2022, 08:00
Are their bilateral issues which prevent service from the UAE carriers? Seems a perfect route for FlyDubai?

No, the UAE and UK have a liberal near openskies bilateral arrangement and 6th and 7th freedoms that allow a host of fare combinations beyond DUBAI to be sold.

However the function of the FlyDubai brand is primarily about regional high frequency “low rent” operations whilst a very few mid range flights are also operated to the south eastern corner of Europe these are targeted at tradesmen moving into and out of the gulf on the cheap.

For the most part they are complementary to their sister carrier rather than a competitor.

There are just a few regional routes where both can be found, however each has a differing profile;
Emirates will operate maybe two flights directly targeting global onward connections via their banked hub strategy, whilst FlyDubai will maintain higher frequencies and lower fare bundles for more local traffic flows.

Both carriers have a range of cross ticket options in place for some destinations where one or others profiles are more appropriate.

Other than an occasional 737max delivery flight don’t expect the FlyDubai brand to deployed into the UK anytime soon if ever .

If you are talking about Dubai - Amritsar corridor in particular there are Seat limitations ( as opposed to frequency) within the UAE- India bilateral arrangements and Emirates / FlyDubai chooses to use them elsewhere .

There are a few “low rent” Indian flexible fares carriers plying the route for migrant/ labour workers.
SpiceJet and Air India express ( their LCC division)

Whilst traffic and demand exists particularly from the UK and Canada, as others stated yield are generally terrible.

BHX5DME
11th Sep 2022, 09:01
Wizz increase BHX-OTP to 6 pw in October to add extra capacity with Blue Air's issues

ATNotts
11th Sep 2022, 10:13
I'm sure it's just a complete coincidence.....

Having said that, with no QR or T5 anymore, there's probably enough demand to go round and room for both on BHX - ATQ. I hope they both thrive.

There probably is, but I just hark back to the BHX/YYZ route which saw Air Canada muscle in for one season, in a blatant and successful attempt to drive Wardair off. The result was no direct scheduled service between the two points as with Wardair disposed of Air Canada abandoned the route. There is the distinct potential for similar to happen when AI increase capacity at the same time as Hans Airways starts service, resulting in too many seats chasing too few punters in what is likely to be a difficult economic period for the UK and neither carrier succeeding on the route.

chinapattern
11th Sep 2022, 13:13
No, the UAE and UK have a liberal near openskies bilateral arrangement and 6th and 7th freedoms that allow a host of fare combinations beyond DUBAI to be sold.

However the function of the FlyDubai brand is primarily about regional high frequency “low rent” operations whilst a very few mid range flights are also operated to the south eastern corner of Europe these are targeted at tradesmen moving into and out of the gulf on the cheap.

For the most part they are complementary to their sister carrier rather than a competitor.

There are just a few regional routes where both can be found, however each has a differing profile;
Emirates will operate maybe two flights directly targeting global onward connections via their banked hub strategy, whilst FlyDubai will maintain higher frequencies and lower fare bundles for more local traffic flows.

Both carriers have a range of cross ticket options in place for some destinations where one or others profiles are more appropriate.

Other than an occasional 737max delivery flight don’t expect the FlyDubai brand to deployed into the UK anytime soon if ever .

If you are talking about Dubai - Amritsar corridor in particular there are Seat limitations ( as opposed to frequency) within the UAE- India bilateral arrangements and Emirates / FlyDubai chooses to use them elsewhere .

There are a few “low rent” Indian flexible fares carriers plying the route for migrant/ labour workers.
SpiceJet and Air India express ( their LCC division)

Whilst traffic and demand exists particularly from the UK and Canada, as others stated yield are generally terrible.

Yes, I was referring to a DXB-ATQ flight but my original post wasn’t particularly clear. Thanks for the info. I’m sure if Emirates or FlyDubai started flying to ATQ there would a lot of passengers connecting from BHX.

simoncorbett
11th Sep 2022, 18:16
EK are trying to get more flights & passengers to/from India but I think they already operate as much as they have permits for

Matt995
23rd Sep 2022, 18:00
Aegean Airlines showing as returning from the 28th March 2023, twice weekly to Athens on an A320

Tue/Fri. Dept A3 643 BHX - ATH 10:35-16:10
Tue/Fri. Arr. A3 642 ATH - BHX 07:55-09:45

Skipness One Foxtrot
24th Sep 2022, 01:47
There probably is, but I just hark back to the BHX/YYZ route which saw Air Canada muscle in for one season, in a blatant and successful attempt to drive Wardair off. The result was no direct scheduled service between the two points as with Wardair disposed of Air Canada abandoned the route. There is the distinct potential for similar to happen when AI increase capacity at the same time as Hans Airways starts service, resulting in too many seats chasing too few punters in what is likely to be a difficult economic period for the UK and neither carrier succeeding on the route.
Bit harsh on Air Canada. Wardair were in a very bad way having done a Laker and ordered a fleet of Airbuses, they doubled in size almost overnight and were soon teetering on the verge of collapse before being bought by Canadian. One of the first acts of the new management team was to downsize UK ops after 1989, leaving only LGW and MAN. Everything else got binned end of summer 89, even Prestwick after Wardair said they'd only serve Scotland from Glasgow as they re-focussed on "business travellers" ! Funny what you remember from 33 years ago.....

BHX5DME
30th Sep 2022, 15:40
Air India 787 (https://d2osdnqd2igqfx.cloudfront.net/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/011/air-india_Main.jpg)The Indian carrier currently operates just a single weekly Birmingham-Amritsar service. However, starting next month, it plans to add two additional weekly Amritsar services, and three Delhi services.The new frequencies will be phased in from October through to December this year. Pre-Covid, Air India operated seven flights a week between Birmingham and India.

“Adding frequency and improving connectivity from major Indian cities to more international destinations is a significant focus," said Campbell Wilson, Air India chief executive. "It is a clear signal of our intent, and an early step towards a much bigger aspiration.”

Tom Screen, Birmingham’s aviation director, added: “We’re doing backward somersaults of joy at the prospect of increasing our India flight frequency to six a week. So many of our customers want this. We’re thrilled it’s happening."

BHX5DME
2nd Oct 2022, 12:30
August 2022 compared to August 2019

BHX doing ok, BRS & STN the winners and GLA & EMA the loosers

BRS – 973,302 down 3.60%

STN – 2,605,863 down 9.07%

LBA – 435,307 down 13.55%

BHX – 1,172,123 down 16.70%

LGW – 4,089,241 down 17.29%

MAN – 2,731,641 down 18.07%

BFS – 520,708 down 18.55%

EDI – 1,199,075 down 18.97%

LHR – 6,040,270 down 21.36%

GLA – 698,374 down 23.24%

EMA – 428,554 down 28.99%

MARKEYD
8th Oct 2022, 11:51
Jet 2 have cancelled Jersey for next summer leaving Blue Islands to operate the route

GayFriendly
8th Oct 2022, 23:55
Have to say, love how Blue Island have somehow managed to see off the might of Jet2 and EasyJet off this route...wonder if Flybe MK2 will.be the next to hsve a pop??

JobsaGoodun
9th Oct 2022, 05:10
I think it’s probably more a case of Jet2 and easyJet finding better places to put their equipment. Didn’t both only start the routes during COVID?

GayFriendly
9th Oct 2022, 11:29
Yes for sure regarding EasyJet, they operated BHX-JER one season only (2021) no doubt to cash in on the staycation boom. I used the service twice and loads were healthy although not stellar! Seem to remember it was a W pattern with MAN based crew

Not so sure about Jet2 and when they started BHX-JER, it has only just been chopped for 2023 and they're still flying to JER from EMA, STN, LBA and NCL next summer. So perhaps they do have a better use for the aircraft as clearly BHX-JER didn't work for them. Hopefully Blue Islands alone will satisfy demand.

pabely
11th Oct 2022, 16:42
https://www.altitudesmagazine.com/news/signature-aviation-officially-opens-new-private-aviation-terminal/

BHX5DME
2nd Nov 2022, 12:54
Ryanair Announces Biggest Ever Birmingham Schedule1 ADDITIONAL AIRCRAFT, $100M INVESTMENT, 7 NEW SUMMER ROUTES (42 TOTAL)

Ryanair, UK’s no. 1 airline for low fares and reliability, today (2 Nov) announced its biggest ever Birmingham Summer schedule for 2023, operating 42 routes, including 7 new Summer routes such as Girona and Pisa, as well as even more flights on 10 routes. The addition of a new based Gamechanger aircraft, brings the total fleet at Birmingham to 6 – a $600M investment.

Ryanair’s Birmingham Summer ‘23 schedule will deliver:

● 1 new based Boeing 737-8200 “Gamechanger” aircraft – representing $100m investment

● $600m investment in Birmingham

● 42 routes, including 7 new Summer routes such as Billund, Girona, Pisa and Stockholm

● Over 350 flights per week

● Increased frequencies on 10 routes, including Bergamo, Dublin, Madrid, Palma, Porto and Verona

● Supporting over 1,700 jobs, including180 direct jobs

Summer ‘23 marks Ryanair’s biggest ever schedule at Birmingham with over 350 weekly flights giving citizens and visitors of Birmingham record-breaking choice to plan their much-deserved Summer holidays with confidence at the lowest fares.

While other airlines are cancelling flights across the UK, Ryanair is growing and reinforcing its commitment to Birmingham by adding a 6th aircraft to its based fleet for Summer’23, bringing its investment to $600M. The fleet includes a new Boeing “Gamechanger” aircraft, which cuts fuel and CO2 emissions by 16%, and lowers noise by 40%, meaning Ryanair will sustainably deliver more tourism to/from the region, while supporting over 1,700 local jobs.

Although Ryanair welcomes the UK Govt’s 50% APD cut for domestic travel from April’23, this reduction ignores the need to restore international connectivity which is fundamental for the growth of the UK’s economy and tourism. Ryanair calls on Prime Minister Sunak to fully abolish APD immediately for all travel, which would not only promote tourism, but support much needed connectivity to the UK, an island-based economy.

To celebrate this record-breaking Birmingham Summer schedule, Ryanair is launching a special seat sale with fares available from just £24.99 for travel between 1st of Apr’23 and end of Oct’23, which must be booked by midnight 4th of Nov on www.ryanair.com (https://www.ryanair.com).

From Birmingham, Ryanair DAC CEO, Eddie Wilson said:

“Ryanair, the UK’s most reliable airline, is delighted to launch our biggest ever schedule in Birmingham for Summer’23, with over 350 weekly flights across 42 routes, including 7 new Summer routes to the likes of Girona and Pisa, and even more flights on 10 other routes including Milan Bergamo, Dublin, Madrid, Palma, Porto and Verona.

Summer’23 will see the addition of 1 new based aircraft at Birmingham (following the arrival of a 5th based aircraft this week) bringing Ryanair’s total fleet at Birmingham Airport to 6, including 2 brand new environmentally efficient Boeing 737 8-200 “Gamechanger”, which cuts fuel and CO2 emissions by 16%.

This additional aircraft will enable Ryanair to operate this exciting 42-route schedule, becoming the leading airline at Birmingham airport. The rapid post-Covid growth Ryanair has delivered to Birmingham (c. 50% more routes than pre-Covid) has been secured by the Airport’s management team, who recognised a long-term deal with Europe’s biggest and most reliable airline was the only way to drive recovery and growth.

However, if we are to continue to grow and to drive recovery and connectivity to the UK, Prime Minister Sunak must immediately scrap APD in full for all travel (not just domestic travel) and provide incentives for airlines like Ryanair to stimulate growth and recovery for the UK and its regions, such as Birmingham.”

Nick Barton, Chief Executive of Birmingham Airport said:

“We are so thrilled Ryanair is significantly expanding its Birmingham offering. Basing a sixth aircraft here will increase options for customers, create jobs and boost the West Midlands economy.”

GayFriendly
2nd Nov 2022, 21:15
Excellent news! At last, after years of stagnation, FR and BHX seem to have agreed on a deal for growth. Very pleased to see additional frequencies on key routes and the continuation of this winters new routes. Here's hoping for more new routes and based aircraft over the coming years, there are still a good number of unserved European cities from BHX plus others that need frequency increases.

However, not all good news, Zadar not yet bookable and no flights to Lisbon after March, let's hope EZY continue this route. I also wonder if EW will restart ARN given that FR are now in the route

Whatever you think of FR, they bring routes and increased pax figures and I for one am delighted about this news - as long as both parties remain agreed on the deal agreed....

OltonPete
3rd Nov 2022, 23:07
Excellent news! At last, after years of stagnation, FR and BHX seem to have agreed on a deal for growth. Very pleased to see additional frequencies on key routes and the continuation of this winters new routes. Here's hoping for more new routes and based aircraft over the coming years, there are still a good number of unserved European cities from BHX plus others that need frequency increases.

However, not all good news, Zadar not yet bookable and no flights to Lisbon after March, let's hope EZY continue this route. I also wonder if EW will restart ARN given that FR are now in the route

Whatever you think of FR, they bring routes and increased pax figures and I for one am delighted about this news - as long as both parties remain agreed on the deal agreed....

GF

All destinations now loaded into the booking engine with six routes still showing sold out but the days and times are viewable on the APP including Lisbon and the Zadar.

June schedule shows 178 flights per week of which 114 are by the six based aircraft and 64 away based a mix of Buzz, Malta Air and Ryanair. A certain popular search engine for flights shows which routes are by the MAX as well.

There are a couple of gaps in the schedule for short flights but overall very good with the number of flights per day between 21 and 28.

TUI

Some changes with Almeria disappearing completely for summer 23, the extra Boa Vista has gone and Melbourne is back to 3 per week like this last summer. They are showing Corendon on both Antalya and Dalaman in the holiday section, the latter is interesting as that didn't operate consistently over the summer due poor loads.

Swiss

Air Baltic showing on the Thursday flight next summer

Air France

Still showing 4 per day Monday - Friday from the New Year until the end of the season, two Air France and two HOP before reverting back to 3 daily for summer but all Air France.

Pete

Mcvicker03
5th Nov 2022, 09:18
GF

All destinations now loaded into the booking engine with six routes still showing sold out but the days and times are viewable on the APP including Lisbon and the Zadar.

June schedule shows 178 flights per week of which 114 are by the six based aircraft and 64 away based a mix of Buzz, Malta Air and Ryanair. A certain popular search engine for flights shows which routes are by the MAX as well.

There are a couple of gaps in the schedule for short flights but overall very good with the number of flights per day between 21 and 28.

TUI

Some changes with Almeria disappearing completely for summer 23, the extra Boa Vista has gone and Melbourne is back to 3 per week like this last summer. They are showing Corendon on both Antalya and Dalaman in the holiday section, the latter is interesting as that didn't operate consistently over the summer due poor loads.

Swiss

Air Baltic showing on the Thursday flight next summer

Air France

Still showing 4 per day Monday - Friday from the New Year until the end of the season, two Air France and two HOP before reverting back to 3 daily for summer but all Air France.

Pete
do u know anything about any new routes or airlines Pete?Feel free to inbox me if wanna keep private

OltonPete
6th Nov 2022, 19:22
do u know anything about any new routes or airlines Pete?Feel free to inbox me if wanna keep private

Not privy to any confirmed new routes in the pipeline and the Ryanair expansion was kept under wraps as it should be. However there were clues, none more so than the current BHX CEO has experience in dealing with FR at a previous airport and he said this week that 2023 has the potential to be better than pre COVID pax levels.

In the mean time talking of COVID something I haven't bothered with for a while now - some stats. The passenger figures of course are from the CAA and the pax per flight should be correct as I have used the CAA punctuality stats which show the number of sectors. What is estimated are the load factors as configs vary on some airlines where the business section is variable. Also I might not have the correct aircraft operating such as with Jet2 and the interchange between the A321 and 738 and I have 8 days missing from my records which FR24 helps with. Also I have not decided what is scheduled and what is charter that is done by the CAA and I have to say I am a bit confused at times, as the Egyptian flights, Punta Cana, Cancun etc are showing scheduled which are all TUI but Palma, Reus, Rhodes are IT:confused:. The combined load factor also on some routes gives an idea where IT has brought the figure up or vice versa.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1626/screenshot_2022_11_06_at_20_11_45_ae2bd3322cb2d781bed09afef1 e3737b6f6b81fa.png
Pete

globetrotter79
7th Nov 2022, 12:00
I believe TUI (as Thomas Cook also did previously) file certain non-EU routings as 'scheduled' services for a traffic permits point of view. The reason is that for those countries, the authorities will not allow TUI to sell seat only on a "charter" flight into their territory - hence why these are filed as "schedules". The reality is, as we all know, it makes no actual difference - just a paperwork exercise.

AvGeek1
21st Nov 2022, 19:30
Eurowings are poised to start Berlin-Birmingham flights, as they base an additional three aircraft in Berlin. Official confirmation and announcement still to be seen.

OltonPete
21st Nov 2022, 19:56
Eurowings are poised to start Berlin-Birmingham flights, as they base an additional three aircraft in Berlin. Official confirmation and announcement still to be seen.

Slots are in 4 per week so hopefully they will deliver.

If Arlanda returns (2 per week) Berlin will be the 4th route with Dusseldorf increasing to 3 daily Tuesday - Thursday and Prague staying 2 per week.

Pete

chinapattern
22nd Nov 2022, 21:02
It’s been reported elsewhere that EasyJet will start Milan and Naples next year. Naples was actually planned for 2020 with a cruise contract. Hopefully all these routes will be officially announced soon.

Qatar have also applied for double daily A350 flights next year too.

Matt995
22nd Nov 2022, 23:26
It’s been reported elsewhere that EasyJet will start Milan and Naples next year. Naples was actually planned for 2020 with a cruise contract. Hopefully all these routes will be officially announced soon.

Qatar have also applied for double daily A350 flights next year too.

Summer 2023 significant slot requests:-

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/443x357/screenshot_2022_11_23_002300_d1c9f3c37ac643f90dc97ad3df081e4 ab8802c14.png

Of course Blue Air flights won't happen now, and with Eastern announcing Newquay to East Midlands, these slots might not be taken up now.

GayFriendly
23rd Nov 2022, 09:27
Hoping and praying that BER starts
MXP will do well and be nice to see another EZY route after they have now cancelled AGP
PLAY would be a great add given their onward US connections

Qatar well at least they're showing interest, I'm still very 50/50 as to whether they return
NQY I doubt will materialize now, this of course is the problem of slot requests, it's a list of "we're thinking about it" as opposed to "yes we're definitely doing it"

ZULUBOY
23rd Nov 2022, 21:06
I read on Twitter that Emirates have a slot application for the A380 from March. Not sure if that is true. Flying with them to Melbourne in April so it would be nice to have it on both legs

chinapattern
25th Nov 2022, 12:49
I read on Twitter that Emirates have a slot application for the A380 from March. Not sure if that is true. Flying with them to Melbourne in April so it would be nice to have it on both legs

Nothing confirmed as yet but reportedly x12 weekly A380 and x2 weekly 77W planned - obviously subject to change.

ZULUBOY
25th Nov 2022, 21:11
Nothing confirmed as yet but reportedly x12 weekly A380 and x2 weekly 77W planned - obviously subject to change.

Thank you

Matt995
25th Nov 2022, 23:19

Most likely twice daily A380's for most of the summer, based on the summer slot report, looks like one A380 from the end of March, going double daily A380's from around 27th May, but as usual subject to change, depends on aircraft availability, and crewing availability, currently only 6 out of 15 High Density (615 seats) A380s are in service with Emirates, with a 7th aircraft expected back in service very shortly.

OPS1978
26th Nov 2022, 22:56
Great news for us here at Assured. Just had it confirmed from Craig Cooper our station manager that we have won the TUI contract at BHX. Going to be difficult, but we have teh right team in place to make it a success. Plenty of positions up for grabs also.

OltonPete
27th Nov 2022, 15:24
Great news for us here at Assured. Just had it confirmed from Craig Cooper our station manager that we have won the TUI contract at BHX. Going to be difficult, but we have teh right team in place to make it a success. Plenty of positions up for grabs also.

Really good contract win and not just for Assured. I know BHX has Jet2 handling but they don't do third-party handing and great that Assured have progressed beyond just Flybe.

In other TUI news all very strange summer 2023 schedule with virtually all the cuts such as Almeria restored, including the second Funchal and a third Alicante and 6th Corfu added with Dalaman back to 8 and Antalya to 7 although still 3 away based more than last year. The only oddity now is Melbourne was 3 per week increased to 4, reduced back to 3 and now 2 in July (was 2 before) and one in August (assume to Bristol). 11 based which should keep Assured busy;)

Pete

regularpassenger
5th Dec 2022, 08:59
Really good contract win and not just for Assured. I know BHX has Jet2 handling but they don't do third-party handing and great that Assured have progressed beyond just Flybe.

In other TUI news all very strange summer 2023 schedule with virtually all the cuts such as Almeria restored, including the second Funchal and a third Alicante and 6th Corfu added with Dalaman back to 8 and Antalya to 7 although still 3 away based more than last year. The only oddity now is Melbourne was 3 per week increased to 4, reduced back to 3 and now 2 in July (was 2 before) and one in August (assume to Bristol). 11 based which should keep Assured busy;)

Pete

Anyone know whats happening with these? I was bumped off a BRS flight with TUI to MLB when that was cancelled to a BHX one. But now all the BHX Thursday flights seem to have disappeared from their website for August 2023? TUI still say they are going.....but the BRS experience suggests they are not. I'd like to get an alternative sorted if it is cancelled as prices are soaring....

OltonPete
5th Dec 2022, 12:39
Anyone know whats happening with these? I was bumped off a BRS flight with TUI to MLB when that was cancelled to a BHX one. But now all the BHX Thursday flights seem to have disappeared from their website for August 2023? TUI still say they are going.....but the BRS experience suggests they are not. I'd like to get an alternative sorted if it is cancelled as prices are soaring....

Yep Nightmare - Timetable shows no Melbourne flights ex BHX until final Thursday in August but in the holiday section it is bookable on 3rd August :confused:. Bristol bookable Wednesday 3rd August

I assume IT again with the one not matching the other.

I would say it makes no sense removing an aircraft for a day a week in August seems to make little sense but there will be reasons behind this and I suspect it is the IT. I didn't go right through to the payment page but direct flights BHX-MLB offered Thu 3/8/23 and BRS 2/8/23

Pete

Pete

AvGeek1
6th Dec 2022, 22:09
New route from easyJet, Milan Malpensa to Birmingham twice weekly, beginning 26th June 2023.

MXP 1415-1530 BHX (Thu)
MXP 1730-1845 BHX (Mon)

BHX 1600-1915 MXP (Thu)
BHX 1915-2230 MXP (Mon)

Credit to @SeanM1997 on Twitter for the information.

GayFriendly
6th Dec 2022, 23:09
Brilliant news, a very welcome addition. Fingers crossed their other slot applications become reality along with BER (EW), DOH (QR) and KEF (PLAY)

Vokes55
7th Dec 2022, 10:25

When they change or cancel a flight they tend to take certain alternative flights off sale for a few days, until all affected customers have been able to rebook. Once that’s happened, the flights come back on sale.

OltonPete
7th Dec 2022, 18:44
New route from easyJet, Milan Malpensa to Birmingham twice weekly, beginning 26th June 2023.

MXP 1415-1530 BHX (Thu)
MXP 1730-1845 BHX (Mon)

BHX 1600-1915 MXP (Thu)
BHX 1915-2230 MXP (Mon)

Credit to @SeanM1997 on Twitter for the information.

Three per week from 10 September when Sunday starts with an A320

Monday A320, Thursday A319 until September then it changes to an A320.

The Monday A320 shows the last 6 seats righthand side missing making it180 seats - leased aircraft?

Pete

jethro15
7th Dec 2022, 19:55
The Monday A320 shows the last 6 seats righthand side missing making it180 seats - leased aircraft?
Forthcoming ex Peach a/c have 180 seats. Could that explain it?

OltonPete
7th Dec 2022, 21:31
Forthcoming ex Peach a/c have 180 seats. Could that explain it?

easyjet - That could be it and I suppose if things change easy to reinstate 186 seat-plan at a later date

Turkish

Now 11 A330 flights over Christmas New Year in place of the A321 with Thursday 15th December showing that both flights on the A330 which might be a first. Five already showing for February half term as well including both on Saturday 25th February. No doubt affected by the PIA code-share due to the lack of direct flights planned between BHX.& ISB.

Pete

BHX5DME
7th Dec 2022, 22:24
IndiGo has announced 32 connecting flights between India and Europe as it aims to strengthen international connectivity. These new connecting flights will fly to Milan, Manchester, Birmingham, Rome and Venice starting December 7.

These flights will be operated through codeshare partnership with Turkish Airlines. These flights, the airline said, will offer more options and add connectivity between India and the destinations, especially during the upcoming holiday season, when demand for international travel will be high.

Vinay Malhotra, Head of Global Sales at IndiGo said, “We are extremely pleased to add more capacity between India and Europe during this holiday season, given the high demand for international travel. These flights will cater to travellers exploring Italy and UK, with one stop connections to Milan, Manchester, Birmingham, Rome, and Venice via Istanbul. These new routes will not only strengthen international connectivity but also enhance affordability for travel to Europe.”

The airline said in a statement that these destinations are major tourist attractions and see an inflow of visitors throughout the year.

jon01
16th Dec 2022, 06:32
Air France up to 4 daily (Ex Sat) with an additional 09:45/10:30 rotation

Vueling Orly up to 5 per week

GayFriendly
16th Dec 2022, 08:12
TUI are reportedly starting BHX - SIN flights weekly from December 23 - April 24. I should imagine this is cruise related? Before Covid they operated weekly winter season cruise flights from BHX to Langkawi.

Flying Hi
16th Dec 2022, 08:19
TUI are reportedly starting BHX - SIN flights weekly from December 23 - April 24. I should imagine this is cruise related? Before Covid they operated weekly winter season cruise flights from BHX to Langkawi.
OUt of pure interest, what would be the routing for this nearly 7000 mile trip? Overnight stop somewhere en route? Crew change how / where?

BHX5DME
16th Dec 2022, 08:31
OUt of pure interest, what would be the routing for this nearly 7000 mile trip? Overnight stop somewhere en route? Crew change how / where?

Why would it need to stop en-route ?

Asturias56
16th Dec 2022, 08:33
Its almost the same length as LHR-SIN and they sure don't stop on that - tho I once had a 15+hour trip back from SIN due to head winds

Rutan16
16th Dec 2022, 09:03

The 788 fleet are well within safety margins for non stop with SLF and cases !

Indeed even the 789 in similar format would have no issues for range /performance factors with little indeed no cargo pallets to mention.

They are cruise flights from Manchester , Birmingham and Gatwick and may be W flight routings allowing downstream break and return via other stations.

wowzz
16th Dec 2022, 15:25
The 788 fleet are well within safety margins for non stop with SLF and cases !

Indeed even the 789 in similar format would have no issues for range /performance factors with little indeed no cargo pallets to mention.

They are cruise flights from Manchester , Birmingham and Gatwick and may be W flight routings allowing downstream break and return via other stations.
If they are cruise flights, I doubt they would be W routings, as the aircraft will need to return to BHX with the passengers finishing the cruise.

OltonPete
21st Dec 2022, 23:00
Air France up to 4 daily (Ex Sat) with an additional 09:45/10:30 rotation

Vueling Orly up to 5 per week

Air France was supposed to be 4 a day from 3rd January with a second HOP but that has been withdrawn

Busy week of news and rumours

easyjet

Lisbon increases to 3 per week in summer previously none. Tuesday Thursday and Saturday from 28 March.Malaga remains in the App but not bookable but still removed from Internet site and holidays. Belfast still showing 5 flights in summer Monday & Friday and 4 the other days except Saturday. Edinburgh showing as 3 daily on a Friday from 7 April until 30 June and then Tuesday & Wednesday showing as 3 daily.

Flybe

Belfast City - 26pw
Edinburgh- 24pw
Glasgow - 23pw
Aberdeen - 11pw based aircraft from June 2023
Amsterdam- 7pw
Bergerac - 3pw
Brest - 2pw
Avignon - 2pw

Ryanair

Cork now 6 per week in summer, Gerona up to 3 per week Oporto back to 2. Laura showing on Palma again

TUI

Third Boa Vista which was new on a Thursday, then withdrawn is reinstated again for summer. A certain booking engine is now adding aircraft types for summer and BHX is showing 3 x 787's Monday, Tuesday, Friday & Saturday

Aegean

Continues twice a week into winter (somebody has been looking at the Jet2 pax figures then)

SAS

Still 10 per week only from September

No change with QR or EK but rumours about others

Turkish only have double daily Istanbul but slots indicate I think 16 flights per week but Antalya wasn't;t bookable the last time I checked but Sun Express Antalya was daily, plus 3 Dalaman and 2 x Izmir so a significant increase.

Pete

GayFriendly
22nd Dec 2022, 07:16
Thanks for the update OP!

All being well, S23 shaping up fairly well at BHX

Delighted to see Aegean making ATH a year round route, bookings for summer must be good. Will be interesting to see how it plays out between them and LS

Top rumours still to come to fruition.....fingers crossed
QR to DOH
EW to BER

And more fanciful

PLAY to KEF

SV to JED - given the Saudi Government's new focus on tourism and tourist e-visas available to UK citizens I'm not surprised SV are looking at the UK market. The Saudi Red Sea coastline is (mostly) stunningly beautiful with year round sun and there is a huge amount of tourism related development going on. Add to this the extensive onward SV connections from JED I could see this working but as always it will probably be MAN first.....

chaps1954
22nd Dec 2022, 08:06
Yes Saudi keep on adding flights at MAN and upgrading to 789 on many flights plus I believe daily next next summer so I am sure as a holiday destination the business will be there ex BHX

OltonPete
23rd Dec 2022, 17:09
Thanks for the update OP!

All being well, S23 shaping up fairly well at BHX

Delighted to see Aegean making ATH a year round route, bookings for summer must be good. Will be interesting to see how it plays out between them and LS

Top rumours still to come to fruition.....fingers crossed
QR to DOH
EW to BER

And more fanciful

PLAY to KEF

SV to JED - given the Saudi Government's new focus on tourism and tourist e-visas available to UK citizens I'm not surprised SV are looking at the UK market. The Saudi Red Sea coastline is (mostly) stunningly beautiful with year round sun and there is a huge amount of tourism related development going on. Add to this the extensive onward SV connections from JED I could see this working but as always it will probably be MAN first.....

GF

I think Qatar is not a surprise it hasn't happened yet as I imagine BHX will be well down the list.

Eurowings is a real disappointment as the slots are in and announcements have been made by EW but not BHX, although not critical as yet for a summer start although in my opinion I think is now my number one route that mystifies me why there isn't a direct service. Mind you there are a handful of services BHX have operating that mystify as to why they are operating but I suppose those professional number crunchers know what they are doing, well except when it comes to Cologne where 8 or 9 of them got that one wrong :).

Emirates - Still rumours of the 380 this summer, I was hoping Saudi rumours might prompt them :ooh:and certainly QR would get them thinking. Another 615 seat A380 back in service last month but it is slow going.

TUI- Fascinating as I have now found 3 x 787's on 5 days Friday through Tuesday. The rest appears to be 3 x MAX, 3 x B73H and 2 x A320 (please not the Doncaster Smartlynx). Monday and Friday have 2 x 787's on shorthaul if where I am checking is correct but the same booking engine has some flights without a type which doesn't make it easy for accuracy purposes.

Pete

Matt995
23rd Dec 2022, 18:01
TUI- Fascinating as I have now found 3 x 787's on 5 days Friday through Tuesday. The rest appears to be 3 x MAX, 3 x B73H and 2 x A320 (please not the Doncaster Smartlynx). Tuesday and Friday have 2 x 787's on shorthaul if where I am checking is correct but the same booking engine has some flights without a type which doesn't make it easy for accuracy purposes.

Pete

Pete, the TUI booking engine quotes the following re the A320 flights for summer "Flight operated by Smartlynx Estonia on behalf of TUI Airways" :rolleyes:

OltonPete
23rd Dec 2022, 19:56
Pete, the TUI booking engine quotes the following re the A320 flights for summer "Flight operated by Smartlynx Estonia on behalf of TUI Airways" :rolleyes:

Hi Matt

I was using another non-TUI booking engine :hmm:which still shows some types missing and has the Egyptian flights missing (assume can only be booked via TUI).

Is it the flight only, timetable or holidays section?

Are they seriously positioning a 787 out for two days to be replaced by a 737 for 2 days (Wednesday I only make 10 aircraft but 12 Friday)

Pete