PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Approach

MANAGP
17th Aug 2002, 21:42
In another post I gave BHX approach a bit of a hard time - Why are we above the glide agian!.

Now it is time to give praise where praise is due!

Yesterday I flew from Wellesbourne to Tatenhill in my PA28. BHX approach couldn't have been more accomodating. I only wish that some other units were as helpful as us Airbus people don't get much opportunity to move "stick and rudder", so we need all the help we can get!!!!!!!

Once again thank you to BHX for treating GA as a pain in the ar**!!!!!!

Mickydrip
18th Aug 2002, 18:01
Thanks, I'll pass it on. But do you think that Wellesbourne to Tatenhill direct is a sensible route to plan? A direct routing crosses the approach to the main runway, 33, in the Hon VOR area; having got through the stream of arrivals, which can be a challenge to anyone, you then get in the way of 4 SID's, DTY/CPT/WCO/COW. My advice is stay low, think about routing outside CAS via the CT NDB next time and listen to the workload of the radar controller on 118.3 before giving me your life story.

Yes, GA are invariably a pain in the ar** because they don't listen and don't appreciate the over all picture. It's you Airbus (shortly to become CRJ) guys that suffer in the end. Hon VOR is a magnet for GA flyers; it's becoming pretty routine for the GA fraternity to route via HON - often without talking to BHX radar. I'll chase every one that infringes, because it endangers the fare paying pax in BHX. But thanks for the plaudit anyway

MANAGP
18th Aug 2002, 19:24
Mickydrip, do you know something I don't! To the best of my knowledge the CRJ can't do Manchester to Orlando!!!!!

Seriously though Wellsbourne to Tatenhill direct is a sensible route, why wouldn't it be, afterall it is the shortest route!

GA main be a pain the ar** but remember they keep you in paychecks also! Every aircraft in the air in the UK contributes to the requirement for ATC. No aircraft, no need for ATC. The main reason that GA aircraft in the UK are reluctant to talk to ATC near CAS is that it invariably leads to extended routings, and unrealistic demands. BHX has a good reputation within GA for being helpful, unlike some other units.

This whole issue is a bit chicken and egg, if ATC were helpful on every occassion GA pilots would soon learn which is the best route and altitude for a given situation. Regretably ever since I came back from home from the US, I have found that the service I get from some controllers/units varies dependant on the type of aircraft I fly. I am the same pilot whether it is an A330 or a PA28 I'm strapped to!!!!!!! There should be no difference between a RAS/Radar Control service for a A330 or a PA28.

I see the world from both sides, as on many an occassion I have had TCAS TA from traffic outside of CAS (perhaps by 1/2 mile) not talking to ATC. If that traffic felt that ATC would help rather than hinder then I have no doubt he would talk to ATC, thereby helping greatly my situational awareness!

Anyhow, to the lady who offered me a service the other night at BHX, once again, Many thanks.

Spitoon
18th Aug 2002, 19:32
But Mickey, my little Cessna is part of the overall picture - and I do listen!

You wonder why aircraft fly around BHX without talking to radar. Maybe this (http://www.ais.org.uk/notices/EGBB.txt) will give you a clue.

I guess MANAGP just got lucky and spoke to one of your colleagues who's really got the big picture and recognises that GA has a place too.

alphaalpha
19th Aug 2002, 11:03
Speaking as a GA pilot, until about a year ago I found Birmingam to be almost always very accomodating with both transit clearances and RIS in the corridor between Birmingham and East Midlands CTAs -- even though Birmingham is not a LARS unit.

More recently RIS outside controlled airspace has not been available ever, and requests for transit clearances have been granted only around 50% of the time.

Then there is the notam which can be paraphrased as 'if you're not coming into Birminham or Coventry, don't bother us.'

I understood that ATS units were required to provide transits whenever workload permitted. (Isn't Essex recording every request for a Stanstead transit, whether refused or not, and if refused, noting the reason?).

What has happened at Birmingam and Why? It's hard to believe it is a dramatic increase in traffic volumes?

Regards

sharpshot
19th Aug 2002, 14:03
Thanks to all the BHX ATCO's over recent years.
The plane you occasionally made me orbit in has now departed, but I will have good memories of expeditious arrivals & departures.

Until something else comes along, I will probably have to go and learn the art of an overhead join and trying to remember where the dead side is ;) ;)

But just so complacency does not set in:D :D we could be back with something a bit larger and faster - hope I can still manage 155kts to " a shortish final";)

eyeinthesky
19th Aug 2002, 16:44

Anyhow, to the lady who offered me a service the other night at BHX, once again, Many thanks.

UNQUOTE

Now I think that's taking customer facing a LITTLE far!:D

Or were you talking about some experiences OUTSIDE the ATC world?;)

On a more serious note, I much regret that there are many of my profession who display the 'I'm not interested in the puddle-jumpers' attitude which leads to just the scenario described where they are calling traffic or you are watching TCAS like a hawk for traffic which is JUST outside CAS and not talking and which would have been far better on the frequency as what we call 'Known Traffic'.

My advice is not to be afraid to call, but be prepared to be asked to fit in with their needs. Many of us will try and accommodate your requests, but sometime it just isn't possible.

If you get a really terrible service, then don't be afraid to call in afterwards and ask to talk to the ATCO or the supervisor. Then you might be able to gain more mutual understanding of each other's issues so that next time things might go better.

Just one final point: Light Aviation does not pay DIRECTLY for ATC services (excluding for example the 'Navigation Charge' at places like Luton), but this should not be a factor when considering whether to offer a service.

squidge
23rd Aug 2002, 15:02
OK, it seems here that we have a perfect situation for our Simulator Days for pilots to 'have a go' here at Brum. They are very informative and 'eye-opening' and also (dare I say?) a lot of fun.:p
MANAGP - please contact me. I would like very much to try to show you the situations that we face, esp. on runway 33 for both GA and airlines. My e-mail is [email protected]. Drop me a line with your contact details and as soon as the date is organised (sometime after the end of the season) I promise to get in touch.
This offer is open to anyone BHX based who wants to see the 'inner workings' of ATC. Please e-mail me your details and I will get back to you.
Look forward to meeting some of you soon.

PS Has anyone heard of the 'Honiley Snatch'!!!?;)