PDA

View Full Version : ME IR Renewal inquiry?

flyingwael330
13th Nov 2020, 19:28
Good day fellow aviators

My apologies if this question has been asked many times before but i am looking for a more current answer since many rules are changing regularly nowadays ,

I hold a Greek EASA CPL with a MEP MEIR expired in September 2019 , due to some personal reasons i had to let it expire ,and i was planning to renew my IR in the past summer but like everyone else my plan was interrupted by this pandemic .
I know that i have to go through an ATO now and since now the chances of finding a low hour pilot job is slim and my lack of free time cause of my other job , and the inability to travel to the EU for renewals today i was thinking of renewing the IR as late as practical .

Can someone experienced in this field please tell me till when i can leave the IR expired without having to go through all the initial IR training again , and how many training sessions are required nowadays by EASA (HCAA) based on time lapsed since expiry ? IS there any exemption during this pandemic for renewals of IR ?

Another question is If in a rare case an airline hired me ( EASA now does not require a valid IR to start a Type Rating ) , can I have a Multi pilot IR without having to renew my old single pilot IR ?

Stay safe everyone and hopefully this Pandemic ends soon for humanity and the aviation industry in specific .

BillieBob
13th Nov 2020, 22:38
1. There is never a requirement to complete initial IR training again, no matter when the IR expired. However, if the IR has not been revalidated or renewed in the preceding 7 years the theoretical knowledge examinations must be passed again.
2. EASA does not require a minimum number of training sessions. It is up to the ATO to determine what training is required to reach the standard required to pass the IR proficiency check.
3. Before commencing a MPA type rating a pilot must hold or have held a MEIR. There is no requirement to renew the MEIR before commencing the MPA type rating course.

DontBeStupid
14th Nov 2020, 01:42
BillieBob can you post the link please of where this is on CAA website for reference, thanks.

teubreu
14th Nov 2020, 10:24
Just FYI, part-FCL has changed on 21st Dec 19, and now states "hold or have held" as BillieBob said.
It used to state "hold", which is why people used to keep their MEIR current. This is not useful anymore.

flyingwael330
14th Nov 2020, 10:35
Thank you BillieBob for your reply and information ,

Now i can be relaxed knowing that i can at least let go of renewing my IR a year or two .

Regarding doing the TR without a valid MEIR , so if i get hired by an airline ,i do the TR , and then renew my ME IR ? Or the multi pilot IR which is done on the multi pilot aircraft in an airline is different and does not depend on the status on my SP MEIR ? How is the Multi pilot MEIR connected to single pilot MEIR ? Im confused :confused:

parkfell
14th Nov 2020, 10:59
The MP IR is part of the LST and is valid only for 2 crew operations on that type/variants.
If you want to operate a light ac, your MP IR is not valid.
A separate IR renewal on a light ac is necessary if IFR operations are then contemplated.

Martin_123
19th Nov 2020, 10:54
3. Before commencing a MPA type rating a pilot must hold or have held a MEIR. There is no requirement to renew the MEIR before commencing the MPA type rating course.

Can you provide a reference to this? EASA FCL 720 still reads: (2) hold a multi-engine IR(A);

BillieBob
20th Nov 2020, 10:17
You are looking at an outdated version of the regulations. FCL.720 has not read that since it was amended by Regulation 2018/1974, applicable from 20/12/2019.

Meow711
17th Jun 2022, 15:33
Greetings,

I have my ME/IR and SEP/IR expired and I don't think I will be applying for airline jobs for the next 2 years.

Do you think it is a good idea to get all the ME/IR renewals done only when you are certain that there is a job opportunity or should you always try and keep revalidating it every year to be safe?
Looking for an economical solution to keep my ratings valid just in time for when I'm able to apply for a flight deck position.

teubreu
17th Jun 2022, 19:06
Apparently you have not read the previous posts. You don't need a valid MEIR to apply for a job nor start a type rating. This has changed in 2019. Of course an employer is free to require it anyway.
If you choose not to revalidate IRSE or IRME, beware you'll have to do all the ATPL theory again if they have lapsed for more than 7 years. Therefore you should renew any IR privileges every 7 years to keep the benefits of your theoretical ATPL.

Meow711
18th Jun 2022, 07:14
Thank you for your prompt response. I was just looking for an updated response to see if anything has changed. It is clear now and I appreciate the knowledge.

selfin
18th Jun 2022, 07:57
Meow, elsewhere you mentioned being located outside the EU. Were you to hold a third-country licence with valid ratings, you could take advantage of the provisions in FCL.625(e) and FCL.740(b), ult subpara, to renew expired EASA ratings simply by following the revalidation actions rather than the renewal actions. In other words, there would be no requirement to attend an EASA ATO for an evaluation and refresher training, if any, prior to attempting the proficiency checks.

rudestuff
18th Jun 2022, 17:41
If you choose not to revalidate IRSE or IRME, beware you'll have to do all the ATPL theory again if they have lapsed for more than 7 years. Therefore you should renew any IR privileges every 7 years to keep the benefits of your theoretical ATPL.
You can let your ATPL exams lapse by 7 years and get your IR back via CBIR with no exams. Technically you could even get an airline job as the requirement for a first MP TR is to have passed the ATPLs, there is no validity date specified.

teubreu
19th Jun 2022, 15:03
You can let your ATPL exams lapse by 7 years and get your IR back via CBIR with no exams. Technically you could even get an airline job as the requirement for a first MP TR is to have passed the ATPLs, there is no validity date specified.
Indeed, but if you took ATPL exams in the first place the intent was probably to get a full ATPL licence at some point, furthermore if you get an airline job.
For the purpose of getting an ATPL licence if the theory is expired, the CBIR will be no use. You have to do all the ATPL theory again to be able to get your ATPL practical licence.

rudestuff
19th Jun 2022, 16:18
Agreed. But a CPL/IR with expired ATPL credits is enough to get an airline job. You only need the ATPL once you upgrade.