PDA

View Full Version : CRJ-900 pilot eye to maingear height?

Tinstaafl
23rd Oct 2020, 04:21
So, I've been flying Bombardier CRJ200/700/900 (nearly all 7/9s) for the last couple of years, at least until SARS-CoV-2 got me laid off. Now I'm back to flying owner's planes in GA. It's been rather humbling flaring and & landing planes I used to think nothing off before I went to the airlines. My flare height is now consistently too high! I knew it would be different, but I'm shocked at how less than two years flying only the CRJ has screwed what was 35 years in GA, flying some 40 or 50 types. Obviously I'm aware of the problem and am consciously flying lower in the flare to correct it. Still frustrating though.

Anyway, out of curiosity, anyone know what the cockpit eye-to-mainwheel height is for the -900? Or where to get the info? I've looked at Bombardier's website but nothing seemed relevent.

DaveReidUK
23rd Oct 2020, 08:27
ICAO Doc 9157 contains EWH values for a range of types, but unfortunately the listing doesn't include any CRJ models.

That said, it shouldn't be too difficult to do the calculation reasonably accurately from a scale drawing of the CRJ9 (plenty of those available) combined with GS angle/pitch attitude and an allowance for oleo extension without weight on the wheels.

Capt Fathom
23rd Oct 2020, 10:06
So, I've been flying Bombardier CRJ200/700/900 (nearly all 7/9s) for the last couple of years, at least until SARS-CoV-2 got me laid off. Now I'm back to flying owner's planes in GA.
Anyway, out of curiosity, anyone know what the cockpit eye-to-mainwheel height is for the -900? Or where to get the info? I've looked at Bombardier's website but nothing seemed relevent.

So you don’t have the manuals? Or the manuals don’t have that information?

Intrance
23rd Oct 2020, 10:34
It’s definitely in the CRJ900 FCOM, so unless you don’t have access to those anymore, should be an easy find.

I’ll check it when I get home if no one beats me too it.

Tinstaafl
23rd Oct 2020, 13:49
Unfortunately no access to manuals now. It was all electronic on company issued iPads, although I don't recall seeing any of that info in the info we had access to.

Intrance
23rd Oct 2020, 17:43
Strange, it is right in the Airplane General part, pretty much the first chapter of FCOM Vol. 1. Or at least it is in ours:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1298x1296/a9710a4f_7c1e_48d4_afd8_35d9e9c1eb52_3c63979feb1e919eeaf223c e53481e9620d8e613.jpeg

Tinstaafl
24th Oct 2020, 15:16
Thank you muchly!

neilki
29th Oct 2020, 14:38
So, I've been flying Bombardier CRJ200/700/900 (nearly all 7/9s) for the last couple of years, at least until SARS-CoV-2 got me laid off. Now I'm back to flying owner's planes in GA. It's been rather humbling flaring and & landing planes I used to think nothing off before I went to the airlines. My flare height is now consistently too high! I knew it would be different, but I'm shocked at how less than two years flying only the CRJ has screwed what was 35 years in GA, flying some 40 or 50 types. Obviously I'm aware of the problem and am consciously flying lower in the flare to correct it. Still frustrating though.

I feel your pain.
Covid aside; I still fly GA and teach a day a week on SR20's & 22's, flew first the CRJ7 & 9 and now Airbus for a day job.
The first few landings in a Cirrus just felt awful. it doesn't matter how much you chant 'don't flare.. don't flare' I still ran out of energy at ten or 20 feet and had to catch it with power.
The sensation for me now; and the trigger to (finally) flare is one of the runway enveloping you from the sides. it's like a big tarmac hug in your peripheral vision. Sounds really weird, but thats how it feels now; even on GA runways. Less about focussing on the end of the runway, more about the sides.
Odd, I concede. But thats how it appears to me, and my Cirrus landings are fine. I've even pulled off a greaser in the Airbus :-), so its not gonna spoil your Airliner game!
good luck. 2020 is on the way out.

misd-agin
29th Oct 2020, 18:21
It's hard going from airliners to GA aircraft. On w/b aircraft the EWH is 25-30' vs GA's 5-7'. Here's a Boeing document that I found in a discussion about EWH - http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/faqs/icaoadmpart4.pdf

Tinstaafl
30th Oct 2020, 00:44
Interesting the B717-200. AFAIK it has somewhat similar dimensions to the CRJ900. Its EWH is about the same. Can't fool geometry, eh?