PDA

View Full Version : Mid-air in France

Procrastinus
10th Oct 2020, 19:23
Unhappy outcome....https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1346266/France-plane-crash-latest-news-five-killed-Lyon-police-dead-injured-Loches-microlight

DaveReidUK
10th Oct 2020, 19:48
Diamond DA40 with 3 up and an unidentified microlight with 2 on board. No survivors.

Jan Olieslagers
10th Oct 2020, 20:08
Unidentified?
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/243790
RIP

sitigeltfel
11th Oct 2020, 07:41
A translation from this mornings French press...

"The small ULM crashed rue Aristide Briand, (less than two kilometers from downtown Loches, editor's note) and the tourist plane in the Haut Jarry sector, a little on the outskirts of the town, not far of the water tower, ”she said.

According to Tours public prosecutor Grégoire Dulin, "two bodies were found in the ULM and two others on the plane". "A person who would have fallen, probably from the plane, was not found," he added, adding that the plane had crashed into a tree in a place difficult to access.

"The pilot of the plane is 75 years old, his two passengers 28 and 30 years old. The pilot of the ULM is 66 years old and his passenger 50 years old", specified Mr. Dulin, adding that there was " no family relationship "between these people."

This corresponds to witness reports of someone falling from one of aircraft.

G-ARZG
11th Oct 2020, 09:27
Diamond DA40 with 3 up and an unidentified microlight with 2 on board. No survivors.

ASN disagrees with the Beeb report, telling us a Robin, not a Diamond.

Ciels bleues...

Tartiflette Fan
11th Oct 2020, 15:32
ASN disagrees with the Beeb report, telling us a Robin, not a Diamond.

Ciels bleues...

A Robin DR 400 according t local press

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2020/10/11/collision-entre-un-ulm-et-un-avion-de-tourisme-un-cinquieme-corps-retrouve

That would be "Cieux Bleus " but I don't think that is said either.

Piper.Classique
11th Oct 2020, 15:53
I don't think the correctness of the language matters. What does concern me is knowing the identity of the microlight pilot without worrying relatives. The name of the DR400 pilot has been made public. Does anyone know who the pilot of the microlight was? It's rather close to home for me. By PM if you prefer.

DaveReidUK
11th Oct 2020, 17:19
The ultralight passenger was reportedly a 50-year-old female, no information on whether she was related to the unidentified pilot.

Piper.Classique
11th Oct 2020, 18:18
It's the pilot that is worrying me. Could be one of two people I know who fly there. The age fits.

Repos
11th Oct 2020, 19:11
https://www.sudouest.fr/2020/10/11/un-cinquieme-corps-decouvert-apres-la-collision-entre-un-ulm-et-un-petit-avion-7949374-10407.php

Piper.Classique
11th Oct 2020, 19:56
Yes, thank you, but I wanted the name of the microlight pilot. Expect I will find out tomorrow. Could be one of two instructors, or someone else entirely. It's a strange place to be sightseeing, especially at low level, rather than over the Loire Châteaux. Loches has some interesting history, but isn't terribly visually exciting.

DaveReidUK
11th Oct 2020, 21:10
It's a strange place to be sightseeing, especially at low level, rather than over the Loire Châteaux.

From the link in the post prior to yours:

"C’était un vol découverte permettant d’embarquer des personnes extérieures au club. Ils devaient survoler quatre châteaux de la Loire et revenir à Poitiers."

Piper.Classique
12th Oct 2020, 02:34
Yes, indeed But Loches is rather on the way to the Chateaux , or on the way back from either of the airfields, not a place where any significant sightseeing takes place, so I would normally have expected both aircraft to be in cruise at that point. It's quite a small town surrounded by woods and fields, so one in the town and one outside isn't surprising. Only one large building, not of great visual interest compared with the Chateaux on the Loire. Benign weather, good visibility. One report mentioned the aircraft were low, but no actual height indication. The Pioneer is a fairly fast microlight, both types have excellent visibility for the pilot. I'm really struggling to imagine how this happened.

Skylark58
12th Oct 2020, 07:49
Piper.Classique. You have a PM

UNpeople
26th Oct 2020, 10:48
The plane is indeed a Robin DR400. No flight plan was filed by either DR400 and ULM. If flight plan were filed and active contact with FIS established, the mid air collision could probably have been avoided.