PDA

View Full Version : SAA suspending operations

The Ancient Geek
30th Sep 2020, 10:13
BBC is reporting that South African Airways has suspended all operations and been put into "care and maintenance" by receivers due to the government not providing a promised bailout.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/africa

[quote] (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/africa)
18:18 29 SepSouth African Airways operations suspended
AFPCopyright: AFPOperations of South African Airways (SAA), the country's national carrier, have been suspended with immediate effect.

"This means SAA will complete repatriation flights that have already been scheduled but will not schedule any further flights," Business Day news site reports.

Administrators said they were putting the struggling state-owned carrier under "care and maintenance" until funding for a restructuring plan was found.

The airline was put in bankruptcy protection in December after heavy financial losses in the past few years, which have been exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The government has not come up with more than 10.5bn rand ($621m; £483m) to support a restructuring plan outlined by administrators in June, EWN news site reports.
Article share tools.

rickety
30th Sep 2020, 15:15
In a novel situation, SAA Technical (a wholly owned subsidiary of SAA) suspended services to SAA and Mango because SAA were in arrears in payments for services. SAAT could not pay 100% salaries in September which also led to a partial strike of staff. Without technical support SAA really could not fly.

Gordomac
1st Oct 2020, 09:12
Sad . Another iconic Operator staring at the abyss."Springbok______" on the airways and waves will be missed. Always remember when they took a full page ad in the back of Flight Mag seeking DEFO for 747 Didn't need to be type rated.. There was queue from Slough to Joberg. List was long & distinguished and being right at the bottom, I never got past the starting gate. Know a few who did , enjoyed , but all returned home.

srjumbo747
1st Oct 2020, 13:26
I too will miss the “Sprrrinbok’ call on the radio.

We all know why it’s gone out of business but can’t say why.

Sad

Whenwe
2nd Oct 2020, 06:58
As an ex proud employee of SAA I will remember it as it was, then.
Sad to see the southern part of Africa fading away.

ZFT
2nd Oct 2020, 07:42
Likewise, was an unbelievable 49 years ago last month when I arrived at Jan Smuts for what was to be a very pleasant 7 years.

Then it was a fabulous airline in every area with wonderful people.

Today.........

The Ancient Geek
2nd Oct 2020, 08:16
Sadly inevitable like so many state owned airlines in africa. Overstaffed with nepotism and political jobs for the boys.
The writing has been on the wall for many years.

BristolScout
2nd Oct 2020, 08:55
When I was out there in the seventies, SAA was actually a subsidiary of South African Railways! It was iconic, strangely run and it was rumoured that the female cabin crew were selected by a committee of the chief pilots' wives. It will be sadly missed.

thegypsy
2nd Oct 2020, 09:17
I knew someone who joined SAA after Court Line went bust on the 747 .Spent several years there just doing the radio, never allowed to fly it.
Luckily transferred onto B737 and got a better job after a few years.

Imagegear
2nd Oct 2020, 09:58
Absolutely scandalous to see a once, well respected airline, with well-trained and experienced crews, excellent cabin service, and a modern fleet, brought down by corruption and cronyism.

My next door neighbor flew for them from the day he left the SAAF until reaching retirement, on every version of the 747, the B727 and B707.

He is still around to see the carnage and must be totally gutted.

ZFT
2nd Oct 2020, 10:25
BristolScout

It was South African Railways & Harbours. Quite useful as we got cheap rail passes too

twinboom
2nd Oct 2020, 12:42
.....and don't get me started on the state of the South African Railways!

Imagegear
2nd Oct 2020, 13:52
Wynberg to Simonstown was always kept in good nick.

First Heir nearly arrived on St James beach before we managed to beat a hasty retreat to the hospital.

Trinity 09L
2nd Oct 2020, 15:22
The infamous full length departure from LHR to get airborne for the long trip around Africa.

cafesolo
2nd Oct 2020, 15:26
Court Line. That brings back memories. About 10 years after they went bust,their helicopter service based in Cape Town,primarily to deliver/collect marine pilots to/from ships rounding the Cape,recruited me to fly S 58s. I was impressed by the skill of their engineers: an S62 (no error 62) had sunk in the harbor. They salvaged it,took it to the hangar and stripped it. They told me they had drilled out every rivet to ensure no salt remained. It was then re-assembled and put back into service. I was fortunate to be given a conversion: it felt like driving a Sycamore tho'with every control 3 times heavier. I don't believe there are many,now,with S62 on their licence. (Expired now at my 86 years.)

BristolScout
2nd Oct 2020, 17:32
I can identify with Gypsy's comment. Back then, regardless of experience, a gallant aviator joined as the 'boy pilot' on the 747 - cruise relief only - before being posted, eventually, as FO on the lowliest fleet, the HS748. Thence up the fleets in the right-hand seat then back to the 748 as captain and up the fleets yet again. It was a hell of a long haul to a decent command. A different world back then.

srjumbo747
2nd Oct 2020, 20:57
The infamous full length departure from LHR to get airborne for the long trip around Africa.
The other way, JNB to LHR is much worse!

Atlantic Explorer
2nd Oct 2020, 21:16
Was it not over a minute take off roll?

BSD
2nd Oct 2020, 22:18
So sad to hear of their demise, my sympathy to all there who are now out of a job.

I can still hear their 707s Saturday afternoon departures out of Perth, Western Australia ringing in my ears!

Hot isummer temps, chock full of fuel, Max gross weight no doubt, they'd coast out heading west still very low.,trailing black smoke (remember when jet engines did that?) and were a vivid, unforgettable sight.

Their crews would drink in my local - the OBH at Cottesloe, where they were always friendly, keen to encourage and engage with a young chap thrilled with his first flying job. They were regular attendees of the OBH's "Sunday sesh" aka Evensong.

This was the mid-70s and they struck me as great professionals, an impression that never diminished with time.

Waht a waste.

ps, Were those 707s RR Conways? I've a feeling they even carried navigators? I've a feeling someone here will know.

krismiler
2nd Oct 2020, 22:48
Back in the day, they were unable to overfly much of Africa and had to route off the coast around the bulge, enroute to Europe. Fueling stops were in Las Palmas or Ilha do Sol. Due to weight limitations, a full cabin wasn’t possible and IIRC they had 60 seats fewer than BA, which made for plenty of legroom. Also they were one of the few operators of the B747SP.

A very fine airline which, similar to EL AL, couldn’t reach its potential due to politics.

Rumour was that pilots were paid the same as train drivers when it was part of the railways group, anyone able to provide more info ?

ZFT
2nd Oct 2020, 23:51
BSD

No Conways. All P&Ws

Dannyboy39
3rd Oct 2020, 10:33
The other way, JNB to LHR is much worse!
Amen to this. I was lucky enough to do CPT-LHR on the A346 back in Jan. Only 3200m full length, but felt like it went on forever!
The aircraft inside certainly saw better days and much of the IFE had broken down, but undoubtedly quiet and comfortable... a week after getting back home, it was offered for sale.

Imagegear
3rd Oct 2020, 12:11
The old adage about getting airborne because of the curvature of the earth definitely applied in Johannesburg.

Acceleration was painfully slow and one became very aware of the fence at the end of the runway as one trundled towards it. Then hauling the gear off the tar and then waiting (and hoping) for a respectable climb speed to clean up, even at relatively low weight certainly concentrated the mind.

srjumbo747
3rd Oct 2020, 12:25
It still does!!

The Ancient Geek
3rd Oct 2020, 14:37
There is a very good reason for taking off in the dark hours.

Gbflyer
3rd Oct 2020, 15:31
Sad end to an experienced airline and in earlier years a most experienced and respected operator. Spent a fair amount of time in SA during the nineties. Went back last in 2018 after a gap of ten years, for the rugby and to see old friends. What a change. Regular power outages.Railway and ports lacking investment, high crime and road traffic accident rates. Very high unemployment. The young ( those that could) going to the U.K., US and Europe looking for an education and a new life. The Rand in decline. Cannot see SAA being resurrected as a long haul operator. There has been too much looting of SAA by political appointees and the ANC for it to come back from the dead.

krismiler
3rd Oct 2020, 23:01
The density altitude at Johannesburg was often around 9000’ meaning that the flare needed to be started earlier and done at a faster rate. SAA pilots were aware of this and well practiced, those who weren’t found that the aircraft was on the ground in the middle of the flare rather then at the end.

Race horses were sometimes flown from JNB for meetings on the coast as a horse which was used to the elevation performed as if turbocharged, in the denser air at sea level.

megan
4th Oct 2020, 03:38
The old adage about getting airborne because of the curvature of the earth definitely applied in Johannesburg.

Acceleration was painfully slow and one became very aware of the fence at the end of the runway as one trundled towards it. Then hauling the gear off the tar and then waiting (and hoping) for a respectable climb speed to clean up, even at relatively low weight certainly concentrated the mind.And not helped when the slats retract during the roll, an outstanding job.

https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/1319.pdf

Gordomac
4th Oct 2020, 08:01
krIs ;
Where were clever Dudes like you during my career ? Now I know why I always arrived at Joberg and had that song "This is the end" ringing in my ears as I hurtled towards the fence during T/O !!

VictorGolf
4th Oct 2020, 09:24
By contrast as SLF in March 1970 on an early Sunday morning departure out of Durban to Jo'burg, I was quite surprised to hear the captain announce " Buckle up ladies and gentleman, we're going to see what she'll do". I must say that particular 737 got off and climbed much quicker than the Viscounts we'd flown in on the rest of the trip. Happy Days

Sultan Ismail
5th Oct 2020, 13:25
I do remember the 3 fire engine bays converted into a transit café in which there were multiple plastic tables with 4 chairs, laden with 4 glasses of coloured water, all different colours, 4 cup cakes, all different colours but tasting like plastic.
All this for us to watch our shiny SAA Boeing 707 being refuelled before the long haul to Johannesburg.
1st July 1969

krismiler
6th Oct 2020, 00:45
Ethiopian Airlines are offering to help out, but not bail out SAA. These guys seem pretty smart and manage to run a profitable airline, so won’t be pouring money into a black hole. Running a few of their aircraft with a code share on lucrative routes such as Johannesburg to London, New York and Perth might pay off once COVID is finished.

https://simpleflying.com/ethiopian-airlines-south-africa-offer/

Deltasierra010
8th Oct 2020, 13:20
Ethiopian are fairly efficient but just how profitable in a commercial sense is questionable, being government owned a lot of expenses are easily glossed over. I would have thought routes within Africa would have been the target of the help offered, there are plenty of other airlines to absorb the long haul international routes.

Gbflyer
8th Oct 2020, 22:05
RIP SAA. Optimistic competition will pick over the bones of the network once the worst of Covid is seen to be over, or being seen by travellers to be a manageable risk. At the moment that day seems along way away.

krismiler
9th Oct 2020, 05:37
Routes which can be operated non stop from JNB to premium destinations and have only the other country’s airline as direct competition should be profitable, with Ethiopian Airlines lower cost base. Many pax would prefer a direct flight over a connecting one and without competition, fares will inevitably increase. Imagine what BA would charge if they had the only non stop to London.

SAA have the same problem as Qantas, located at the end of the line with no connecting market to serve. Ethiopian are much better situated to provide transit options between different countries. Post COVID-19, they might benefit from the reduction of Emirates size and schedules, EK need enough pax to fill a B777 where as ET only need enough to fill B737s or B787s.

The Ancient Geek
9th Oct 2020, 09:37
BA do not have the monopoly that you think, KLM have shuttle flights to most UK regional airports and many pax (including myself) prefer the local connection via AMS to the problems of getting to Heathrow. The long drive and expensive parking make Heathrow unattractive and more expensive with a longer total travel time.

ZFT
9th Oct 2020, 11:25
And no APD

dubaiwarrior
9th Oct 2020, 21:07
I mean, did the govt afford SAA the opportunity to operate LH routes from/into Cape Town? It never seemed so...

krismiler
10th Oct 2020, 01:15
Only with two separate tickets or a 24 hour connecting time. APD will be charged based on the full journey if these conditions aren’t met. However a stopover in AMS would be quite pleasant and easily pay for itself if traveling business class.