PDA

View Full Version : Halifax Control Zone

Mooncrest
17th Sep 2020, 19:43
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm referring to Halifax, Yorkshire, not Nova Scotia.

Does anybody know when this area of airspace was created, when it was discontinued and who the controlling authority was ? It would have been about halfway between Leeds Bradford and Manchester airports so I guess either ATC unit might have had a stake in it's running. Or it might have been Preston Radar's responsibility. I really know very little about it. It's featured in a book by Captain Peter Crook called Airports UK; this book was published around 1983 and I'm fairly certain the Halifax CTZ didn't exist by then!

Thankyou.

2 sheds
18th Sep 2020, 06:50
That would be the the Halifax Control Area (CTA), surely?

2 s

Mooncrest
18th Sep 2020, 08:14
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1440x2000/20200918_091110_1935a5ad15fe2ef76d5d352d3e7543c11247c50c.jpg
This is a photograph of the diagram in the book I mentioned. It's not an official publication from Aerad or Jeppesen or the CAA. The Halifax bit fits neatly round the southwestern corner of the old Leeds Bradford Special Rules Zone and is listed here as a Control Zone.

2 sheds
18th Sep 2020, 10:06
I think that the author has made an error there, Mooncrest. The "Halifax" airspace was a CTA, from 3,000ft to FL85.

2 s

Mooncrest
18th Sep 2020, 10:27
Thankyou 2sheds, that sounds reasonable. Do you have any other information about it please?

2 sheds
18th Sep 2020, 12:28
Mooncrest - it would have been there primarily to provide controlled airspace protection for the profiles of IFR flights in and out of Leeds/Bradford via the Manchester TMA. I am sure that an LBA controller can elaborate on any procedures. You might like to note that the title of that chart is inaccurate as well - an airway is a control area! So much for your self-styled captain, and not the only publication of the time that was misleading. There was a well-known series, recommended even by the predecessors-in-title of CAA, i.e. the authors' mates, which was full of errors.

2 s

Mooncrest
18th Sep 2020, 14:17
Thankyou again, 2sheds. Captain Peter Crook is the book's author, at the time working for Genair on the 330/360. There are some other curiosities in the book, for example 'marshalling points' and 'Local ATC controller' which I understand to be military jargon applying to MOD airfields!

2 sheds
18th Sep 2020, 18:50
'Local ATC controller' which I understand to be military jargon applying to MOD airfields!

It' s also an example of tautology. Ask for your money back!

2 s