PDA

View Full Version : R22 tail-rotor pedal failure

BigMike
12th Sep 2020, 17:56
"A Robinson R22 helicopter’s right tail rotor pedal failed due to fatigue cracking during mustering operations, an ATSB investigation details"

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items/2020/undetected-fatigue-failure/

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1299x730/ao2019035_fracture_230a3c66c0041f5a69c3d68632f9d268adf4d094. png
ATSB

atakacs
12th Sep 2020, 18:10
Ouch :(

Very lucky to walk away from this one !

B2N2
12th Sep 2020, 18:16
Is t that something you check during the preflight?

evil7
12th Sep 2020, 18:21
You check your pedals connection in the underfloor part??? :ok:

B2N2
12th Sep 2020, 18:27
My mistake, from memory thought it was visible.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x2000/image_766f14ebf56babacc4f075b053625e0fb995cb8d.jpeg

Hilico
12th Sep 2020, 19:18
Have you SEEN those videos of mustering operations? There is no operation like it. But, the factory don’t seem to have tested for it.

Agile
14th Sep 2020, 02:12
could one still control the tail ....
1/ with one foot alternatively in front and behind the only left pedal .. mabe not
2/ or by frictioning your foot below that one pedal ... could work?
3/ by moving your feet to the copilot side ... that I got to see!

Ascend Charlie
14th Sep 2020, 03:05
Slide completely to the left side. Even if the left side of the cyclic isn't there, you can still fly with the right hand on the centre prong. It might be a bit of an exercise in the air, but chopper pilots are super-human, aren't they?

Coping with the cg change is something else, though. Main fuel on left side.

bellfest
14th Sep 2020, 03:28
A victim of the old 4000 psi of pressure on one pedal, 4001 psi on the direction of turn...........

TWOTBAGS
14th Sep 2020, 05:18
Hey AC.
I wonder if it was result of a Hufnagel sequence maneuver?
LOL

Ascend Charlie
14th Sep 2020, 07:39
T-Bags, Oh, I wish I could have photographed your eyes when you saw that one happen! Looked like VASIS, but both red!

huey
14th Sep 2020, 10:10
I teach students who are bracing both feet against the pedals to place their right foot on the floor. Torque in the 22 is taking the nose right, so it’s actually very easy to fly left foot only. Apply left foot/pedal, nose yaws left. Bring left foot/pedal back and Nose yaws right.

Teaches the students that they are being far too heavy with their feet.

So in the case of this chopper, I’d say no problem getting it down safely.

Huey

aa777888
14th Sep 2020, 10:47
So in the case of this chopper, I’d say no problem getting it down safely.
The article said the pedals became jammed. That's a bit more challenging than just having a single, operable pedal, if I'm understanding your statement correctly?

huey
15th Sep 2020, 00:19
Ah, I missed that bit. Yes jammed pedals would make things far more difficult.

Huey

rotorfan
15th Sep 2020, 15:51
A victim of the old 4000 psi of pressure on one pedal, 4001 psi on the direction of turn...........
I think you’re spot on. That tubing is thin-wall, but sufficient for the light pressures of the R22. I just flew a 22 for the first time in 15 years and found myself tensing up and overcontrolling, no doubt with more pedal pressure than needed.

15th Sep 2020, 16:26
I once took control from a student who was messing up a steep turn (not in a Robbie) and couldn't move the pedals as he had tensed up and was pushing very hard with both feet - I had to shout at him to take his feet off the pedals so I could recover to S and L flight.

rottenjohn
18th Sep 2020, 02:43
Slide completely to the left side. Even if the left side of the cyclic isn't there, you can still fly with the right hand on the centre prong. It might be a bit of an exercise in the air, but chopper pilots are super-human, aren't they?

Coping with the cg change is something else, though. Main fuel on left side.
so if you have your right hand on the center prong what do you move the other “prong “ with?

Agile
18th Sep 2020, 05:10
OK I got an idea for people with long legs

Slide one leg to the passenger side, scoot over to the middle location (one but chick on each seat)
grab the center prong and fly the helo like a middle cyclic stick aircraft
grab the passenger collective for pitch control

Last step, let the NTSB figure it out at the scene of the crash

Bell_ringer
18th Sep 2020, 06:11
OK I got an idea for people with long legs

Slide one leg to the passenger side, scoot over to the middle location (one but chick on each seat)
grab the center prong and fly the helo like a middle cyclic stick aircraft
grab the passenger collective for pitch control

Last step, let the NTSB figure it out at the scene of the crash

Shouldn't be a lengthy investigation, the rectal center collective will be a dead giveaway.

cattletruck
18th Sep 2020, 10:14
Yep, that lingering outback bull dust gets into everything.

Switching sides will only confirm that.

evil7
18th Sep 2020, 13:53
And to add to the fun of sitting in the middle - as the right hand pedal gave way, you would have to use your right foot for the left pedal and visa versa 😳😂👍

Robbiee
18th Sep 2020, 19:11
Hmm, I can see it now,...

A jolly musterer minding his heard when suddenly his little 22 begins to spin. Realising his pedal is stuck our six foot three Marlboro Man quickly undoes his seat belt, launches his leg over the center console like a Rockette and straddles her like a stead! Then in that true Crocodile Dundee spirit he contines mustering for another hour despite getting his balls racked everytime he pull up on the collective.

Then its back to the pub for a good old frosty one,...another days job done.
:ok: :}