PDA

View Full Version : Attention: stupid TMZ+ in Germany

ChickenHouse
5th Sep 2020, 17:29
For those traveling by GA to Germany: it seems without EASA derogation the Germans changed TMZ to 'TMZ with mandatory radio listening', so do not rely on what you learned with SERA and the 'one sky lie'. Feel free to post an EASA clearance link to this next stupid action. I was unable to find a legal basis.

atakacs
5th Sep 2020, 17:57
Hmm not willing to debate you but isn't radio listening a good idea ?

Jan Olieslagers
5th Sep 2020, 18:39
It certainly sounds less stupid to me than certain "peculiarities" in the UK. Admittedly, though, these may well be covered by formal derogations from EASA.

BDAttitude
5th Sep 2020, 18:58
Generally yes.
However the frequencies are not neccessarly self evident for the average VFR rated GA pilot. E.g. for Friedrichshafen TMZ you are not supposed to monitor Friedrichshafen Tower but some swiss Zurich Radar frequency. If you use the official DFS charts, the information is there. However in some EFB Software it is not. Skydemon has it though.
Of course it's written down in the AIP. Burried somewhere in ENR - Other Airspace (or similar) IIRC

ChickenHouse
8th Sep 2020, 13:59
How many frequencies are you able to follow and how many radios do you have?
These zones are usually in the vicinity of bigger airports and listening one more frequency can be quite distracting.

My procedure when passing by was being with Flight Information, maybe listen to the nearby ATIS, sometime RADAR if I knew of passing an approach area or listening to one of the smaller airfields just below me. Three frequencies is ok with me (one dual watch and one single frequency 833 radio on board) but which frequency do I have to sacrifice? Even worse for the people on just a single radio.