PDA

View Full Version : Stansted VFR clearance?

Forfoxake
2nd Sep 2020, 15:07
Hoping to fly from Sywell to Stow Maries this weekend.

Could a local let me know what the chances are of a VFR clearance through the Stansted overhead at the moment (possibly via Hazelend Wood and Canfield), especially if I file a VFR flight plan. I have a Mode C transponder and 8.33 kHz radio.

Or should I go round the NE or SW as usual?

PS I am aware that I will have to avoid Old Warden on Sunday.

welkyboy
3rd Sep 2020, 19:17
Filing a FPL won't make any difference as Stansted ATC won't receive it!

Forfoxake
3rd Sep 2020, 21:16

Why is that? Glasgow ATC (Class D Airspace) do!

chevvron
4th Sep 2020, 06:17
They should if you address it manually to EGSSZTZX (Stansted Tower) and EGSSZPZX (Essex Radar/Stansted Director at Swanwick) but they won't if you file via a system which automatically decides which addresseees it needs to go to.
Alternatively ask Farnborough North (132.8) to hand you over to Essex Radar.

Duchess_Driver
4th Sep 2020, 07:04
File with the Stansted Tower address as stated above. Plan both routes (through and around) and then ask Essex Radar as early as possible as it will depend upon the traffic environment and controller workload at the time.

Never been denied yet, but make sure you know where VRPs are as you may have to hold to get across behind landing traffic.

Make sure you bring your best Radio patter as if the controller has confidence in your ability to fly you’re more likely to get worked through over a stuttering, mumbling train-wreck where he has to ask for everything he needs.

Dan Dare
4th Sep 2020, 09:21
Although the addresses given may get the FPL to the ops rooms, I’m not sure it gets the information to the ATCOs’ electronic strips, so you will still be treated as if making a freecall. There was an APP for LTMA airfields to forewarn them if your intentions, but I understand that was mothballed post COVID leaving a telephone call to Swanwick as your only likelihood of getting details to the ATCOs in advance. The good news is that a VFR crossing over the threshold should never really be refused (in VMC) and during these quiet times a more direct route through the CTR could even be a offered.

Forfoxake
6th Sep 2020, 21:01
Filed a flight plan via Skydemon but not sure Stansted got it.

Nevertheless, got cleared through zone behind Loganair landing on 22 after only one orbit.

So Essex Radar were very co-operative despite being quite busy.

Wish I could say the same for Doncaster Sheffield who held me for ages despite having only one landing Wizzair (although to be fair, he was giving them a hard time!}.