PDA

View Full Version : A320 Visual Pattern

Speedwinner
31st Aug 2020, 09:17
Hi folks,

any nice tips and hints are appreciated how you fly it. Especially in high crosswind situations. Sinkrate, turn rate etc.

Thanks!

SW

FlightDetent
31st Aug 2020, 10:48
As you bank for the base leg, having just called for F2, make sure you do not balloon but start descending at 400 fpm (FPV belly below the horizon line).

It is not uncommon to see the plane 200 ft above the downwind altitude after the base turn.

Other than that, FCTM rules apply. No need to add or modify a thing.

compressor stall
31st Aug 2020, 12:59
At base turn, bank and push so the outer wingtip and tail tip of the bird are touching the bottom of the horizon bar. Sets a good ROD and AoB.

vilas
31st Aug 2020, 14:11
Hi folks,

any nice tips and hints are appreciated how you fly it. Especially in high crosswind situations. Sinkrate, turn rate etc.
Thanks!
SW
With high crosswind situation that won't be enough. On downwind note the wind because you may have strong HW or TW on base turn. Accordingly the final turn will be early or late. Final turn try to roll out on upwind edge of the RW that will avoid over turn or underturn. As long as the bird is at 3° ROD will take care of itself.

Nightstop
31st Aug 2020, 16:18
I remember a few years back flying the Base Leg Port (i.e. harbour) visual 3.7 degrees approach onto Mykonos runway 16. Surface wind velocity was 180/35-40, on right Base leg wind velocity (according to the A320 ND) was 240/55. I initiated the turn onto Final at what most pilots would suggest was far too early, in fact it was a little late. Managed to establish on Final just slightly left of the inbound track at 1.5 nm before touchdown, within stable approach criteria and on the 3.7 degree approach angle. ATC stopped transmitting to all traffic during my efforts to avoid distraction. Thanks JMK.

At the end of the day, I’d say look out of the window and keep your manual flying skills honed outside of Commercial aviation if at all possible. Enjoy!

Speedwinner
31st Aug 2020, 17:10
Vilas thanks! what means upwind edge?

Nightstop
31st Aug 2020, 17:43
Speedwinner, for the last 11 years you’ve been asking an awful lot of questions! This is a Forum for Professional pilots, not Flight Sim enthusiasts. Good day.

Speedwinner
31st Aug 2020, 18:12
Speedwinner, for the last 11 years you’ve been asking an awful lot of questions! This is a Forum for Professional pilots, not Flight Sim enthusiasts. Good day.
Thanks man. Wish you a nice and satisfied retirement

PilotLZ
31st Aug 2020, 21:21
Something I feel is worth mentioning is that the bird may be one or two degrees off in the end of a long flight due to IRS drift. So, while it helps a lot and, in conjunction with correct flight plan sequencing giving you the lateral deviation from the extended runway centreline, will help you avoid any gross error - do not forget to look out of the window. That's why it's called a visual approach. Also, don't ever try to fly one with any AP mode. The FCTM tells the story really well, giving you the ground rules to stick to. From there onwards, it's a matter of practice.

vilas
1st Sep 2020, 02:38
Vilas thanks! what means upwind edge?
RW has two edges and a center line. With strong crosswind in the turn on to finals don't try to align with the center line but try to roll out on the upwind edge i.e. in a left hand turn with TW on base aim for the left edge and with HW aim for the right edge.

Speedwinner
1st Sep 2020, 07:55
Excellent thanks!

ACMS
2nd Sep 2020, 07:15
Gotta love flight sim.......but seriously this is supposed to be for professional pilots......

gearlever
2nd Sep 2020, 22:40
Anyone who has a drawing of the pattern?
Not more current on A320 but loved it.

sheppey
3rd Sep 2020, 10:33
any nice tips and hints are appreciated how you fly it

I notice that flying the FPV (the "Bird") is mentioned among the advice you have received. While the FPV makes it easier to fly accurately, you should be able to fly the aircraft just as accurately without it. It's called raw data and that means no flight director and no FPV. Only by practicing your instrument scan without the crutch of the FPV and FD will you become a better pilot.

FlightDetent
3rd Sep 2020, 14:54
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/893x805/vis_pattern_e6f48120a7cf24c456988d119bde3841025edaa3.png

Sholayo
17th Sep 2020, 07:45
Gotta love flight sim.......but seriously this is supposed to be for professional pilots......

Yeah, but in such case - what flight sim forum you frequent? Because most flightsimmers love to learn from RW pilots, yet RW pilots are rarely on flight sim forums.
So - go, contribute and they will not bother you here.

&