PDA

View Full Version : Microlight hours credit for LAPL(A) Course.

justmaybe
19th Aug 2020, 08:52
Am I right in assuming that a credit of 10% of PPL(M) hours to a maximum of 10 hours can be credited for LAPL(A) candidate? Part FCL 110 and CAP 804 (just for reference) not giving me the answer.

Whopity
19th Aug 2020, 14:26
Reading the Regulation:
(a) Applicants for an LAPL(A) shall have completed at least 30 hours of flight instruction on aeroplanes or TMGs, including at least:
(1) 15 hours of dual flight instruction in the class in which the skill test will be taken;
(2) 6 hours of supervised solo flight time, including at least 3 hours of solo cross-country flight time with at least 1 cross-country flight of at least 150 km (80 NM), during which 1 full stop landing at an aerodrome different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made.
The credits are:
(c) Crediting. Applicants with prior experience as PIC may be credited towards the requirements of point (a).
The amount of credit shall be decided by the DTO or the ATO where the pilot undergoes the training course, on the basis of a pre-entry flight test, but shall in any case:
(1) not exceed the total flight time as PIC;
(2) not exceed 50 % of the hours required in point (a);
(3) not include the requirements of point (a)(2).

The total time as PIC = 6 hours
50% of the hours required in a) =10.5 hours
So it looks to me as the limiting factor is point (1) 6 hours
Let us assume that supervised solo is flight instruction, albeit not dual flight instruction. 30-21 = 9 hours!
No wonder they are having trouble with A levels!

Fl1ingfrog
19th Aug 2020, 17:30
Whopity - I've been under the believe that microlite time cannot be credited toward any EASA licence or rating. Am I wrong?

Whopity
19th Aug 2020, 19:05
That was certainly the case under JAR-FCL however; in some areas EU Regulation is a little more vague. Wheras JAR-FCL specifically prohibited it, I can find nothing in Part-FCL that does. Arguably a Microlight is an Aeroplane and the credit simply says applicants with previous experience as pilot in command. It does exclude helicopters for example.

justmaybe
19th Aug 2020, 20:13
That was certainly the case under JAR-FCL however; in some areas EU Regulation is a little more vague. Wheras JAR-FCL specifically prohibited it, I can find nothing in Part-FCL that does. Arguably a Microlight is an Aeroplane and the credit simply says applicants with previous experience as pilot in command. It does exclude helicopters for example.
Almost impossible to interpret with any semblance of certainty, and trying to get any guidance from the Authority is near impossible.

Whopity
22nd Aug 2020, 08:48
There is absolutely no need to go to the Authority for an interpretation. The ATO/DTO makes the interpretation and if the Authority wish to challenge it, they have to produce the regulation to back them up. If there isn't any the ATO's decision stands in accordance with the regulation.