PDA

View Full Version : Cannot access PPRuNe due to the Trustarc GDPR login cookie pop-up

ORAC
17th Aug 2020, 16:44
Pprune has obviously just updated their security/GDPR software and its preventing me accessing the site.

When I access the site I get a window headed "We Value Your Privacy" and saying a list of items has to be selected Yes or No before proceeding. Unfortunately there is also the classical spinning circle and no list, so I get stuck at that point.

I have deleted all cookies and site history and the same occurs when I try again, I have deleted all and then rebooted the iPad - same result.

Anyone any suggestions?

p.s. Same happened here on my iMac but it shows the lists, allows me to select yes and proceed to the site.

Hermite
17th Aug 2020, 16:56
The popup with the cookie / privacy questions seems to have changed today. Unfortunately this doesn't work correctly with Safari on the mac. It is fine with Firefox, but that isn't the browser that I normally use (Safari is the Apple supplied browser on the mac, so I'm guessing that I'm not the only one with the problem). Can it be fixed please?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x656/screenshot_2020_08_17_at_17_52_30_9bdd2b50c912cfefd2eff989cc 4ff362d04e96a2.png

ORAC
17th Aug 2020, 17:02
OK, solved by going into Safari-advanced-Delete all website data.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 17:06
Not just an iPad, I cannot access PPRuNe from my usual browser on a PC, either. To be able to post this I've had to fire up an old Windows 7 PC, connect using a VPN and that's enabled me to try and see what's going on.

The problem seems to be with something called Trustarc. It's not completing a script, so hangs with some sort of GPDR compliance window, just displaying the "loading" thing. My limited looking around seems to show that it's definitely the Trustarc thing that's causing the site to just lock up. I've tried clearing cookies, restarting the browser, all the usual stuff, but the only way I've been able to get in to post this is by firing up an old, and fairly insecure, Win 7 machine, that's running Palemoon as the browser. Even then I have had to "allow everything" to get this to work.

The Trustarc script hang is before the lists show, so there is no way to access anything at all. The whole site is greyed out behind the Trustarc pop-up, with no way that I can find to clear it.

Kiltrash
17th Aug 2020, 17:09
I'm getting the screen shot on my mobile. Not every time
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/540x960/screenshot_2020_08_17_17_51_09_707eebeb0ec363dad69a509dbdab8 c186f509533.png

BDAttitude
17th Aug 2020, 17:31
Yes, broken here on Chromium as well. Circle of death.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 17:33
Same issue as reported in the thread re: access from an iPad. There's a problem with the new Trustarc GDPR thing, that seems to cause a script to hang, blocking the site completely. This is a screenshot showing the problem (the "loading" wheel just perpetually spins):

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1920x1088/trustarc_hang_up_211c45c38f5a1c1eda52449b5218b306f473c20d.jp g

Clearing cookies, all cached data, disabling all browser add-ons, restarting the browser etc doesn't fix it, the only way I can get access to PPRuNe at the moment is by using an old PC that's running Palemoon on Windows 7. It seems as if it may be browser specific, although in this post there's mention of a similar problem with an iPad: https://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/634843-cannot-access-pprune-ipad.html

I've run out of things to try, now, so am guessing that it may be something within the Trustarc feature that isn't 100% compatible with all browsers. In case it's any help in diagnosis, the Trustarc pop-up didn't appear at all on this old PC running the Palemoon browser, it seems only to pop-up in Firefox (haven't yet tried Safari, will have a look as soon as my wife's stopped using the Mac).

stevef
17th Aug 2020, 17:46
I had the same until I logged in, then it disappeared.
Running Opera on W10.

andytug
17th Aug 2020, 17:49
It hangs on my ipad mini, but can get in past the prompt on Firefox mobile on my Android phone. Took two goes for the options to appear though.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 17:52
The snag I have is that the Firefox browser just locks up, as in that photo, so won't let me log in. For some odd reason Palemoon seems unaffected, no idea why. I've been able to log in on this old Win 7 machine, using Palemoon, with no problem. However, if I try and use Firefox, even on this Win 7 machine, I get the same screen as above, just locked up with that pop-up permanently trying to load. I've tried over a dozen times now, clearing everything down, restarting the browser, etc, but with the same result.

stevef
17th Aug 2020, 17:54
When I came back the box was there again and the page lightly greyed out. I mouse clicked a margin and everything came back to normal.

NRU74
17th Aug 2020, 17:55
iPad using Safari I can’t access
No problem using DuckDuckGo

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 17:58
Just tried that. Sadly didn't work, the screen is still greyed out, with that pop-up box trying to load. This time it did let me log in before locking up, though, and I thought for a moment the problem had been fixed! I'm at a loss to try and understand exactly what's going wrong, but suspect it must be that Trustarc thing trying to do something that the browser can't cope with. In my case, the browser that's giving the problem is Firefox 79.0, so it's up to date.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 18:17
Further to this, I can now confirm that it seems to be region specific. I'm currently logged in using Firefox, with no problems at all, but I had to use a VPN so that it looks as if I'm in Canada (I'm not, I'm in the UK).

I think this confirms that the problem lies with the Trustarc GDPR gizmo, as that seems to try to detect the region of the world you log in from, and if it thinks you're in the EU it will try and pop-up the windows that seems to just hang, and block access to PPRuNe.

So, the workaround, for anyone having this problem, and who is currently located within the EU, is to use a VPN to spoof their location so that they appear to be somewhere else. Don't think it matters much where, as long as it's outside the EU.

Cafe john
17th Aug 2020, 18:25
Just had this issue with Google Chrome - CTRL F5 to force reload and then clicking the page reload icon at top left cleared it for me......

NRU74
17th Aug 2020, 18:31
Using a late(ish) iPad
DuckDuckGo No problem with or without a VPN
Safari with a VPN (ipvanish) can’t get on
Start Page ditto

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 18:36
Using a late(ish) iPad
DuckDuckGo No problem with or without a VPN
Safari with a VPN (ipvanish) can’t get on
Start Page ditto

If you use a VPN service that allows you to select an apparent location outwith the EU I think you should find it works OK. I used NordVPN, and with my apparent location set to anywhere within the EU I get the lock-up problem, but as soon as I select an apparent location outwith the EU (i.e Canada) it works fine. I'm pretty sure that the rogue element, perhaps via a routine update, on the Trustarc thing that the forum is using is only blocking site access to some browsers for some users located within the EU. The odd thing is that it works fine on this old Windows 7 PC using Palemoon as the browser. No idea why.

Hermite
17th Aug 2020, 18:40
I'm in the UK (currently EU regulations I think) and as I noted at the start the problem (at least for me) is browser related. I can scroll down the box in Firefox, but not in Safari.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 18:48
Definitely browser specific for me, too. Palemoon on a old Win 7 machine is fine, Firefox gets the blocking and hung pop-up every time, unless I use a VPN to pretend to be outwith the EU, when Firefox works fine, with no problems.

Seems to me that the apparent location triggers the Trustarc thing initially, so no matter what browser you're using if PPRuNe thinks your outwith the EU then the blocking pop-up won't appear. If you do seem to be within the EU, then it seems that some browsers cannot deal with whatever it is that has changed within the Trustarc GPDR compliance feature. My guess is that Trustarc may have updated something today, and broken some core functionality with some browsers.

Planet Basher
17th Aug 2020, 18:48
I just had the same, W10 and Chrome. It appears to be a cookie problem.

When I allowed second party cookies the pop up worked properly and allowed me to block the cookies. When the pop up disappeared I then reset Chrome to stop second party cookies. All seems to be working normally now.

Background Noise
17th Aug 2020, 19:09
I get the same problem in Safari, Firefox and Chrome on a MacBook and on iOS devices. I can scroll down the box and click the 'required cookies' link but can't get beyond that.

Problem is not apparent using a non-uk VPN - somewhere in USA in my case.

Seaking74
17th Aug 2020, 19:17
Same issue with iPad using Chrome or Safari and MacBook using Chrome or Safari. Can only get in on MacBook using Tor Browser. Guess it's an EU thing.

paully
17th Aug 2020, 19:30
Using Chrome I can log in and the screen is bright. If I select a thread it acesses it but goes grey. The annoying box, with the perpetual hamster wheel disappears and I can read the thread albeit in grey. To whose notice does one bring this particular shortcoming to. Anyone know. Doesnt seem to be many Mods these days.

BirdmanBerry
17th Aug 2020, 19:53
I just had the same, W10 and Chrome. It appears to be a cookie problem.

When I allowed second party cookies the pop up worked properly and allowed me to block the cookies. When the pop up disappeared I then reset Chrome to stop second party cookies. All seems to be working normally now.

Have you tried Ghostery? I've blocked all cookies including Trustmarc and no pop up :0)

BirdmanBerry
17th Aug 2020, 19:54
If you can use Chrome, add Privacy Badger extension and block Trustarc.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 20:13
Just tried another laptop, same problem, PPRuNe is inaccessible using Firefox if I don't use a VPN and try and spoof my location as being outwith the EU. No problem when using Palemoon, but the problem seems to also be there with Chromium (the fully open source version of Chrome).

I've tried blocking cookies, makes no difference, it seems that there's something fundamentally broken within the Trustarc GDPR compliance feature, and from the fact that this only started happening this afternoon (BST) it looks rather as if it might be related to an update, perhaps. There's been no update to any of the browsers I've been using today.

Definitely not an obvious cookie problem, as I've cleared all cookies, the cache etc. The problem seems to be the Trustarc script hanging, part way through execution, with some browsers not behaving as the Trustarc script expects.

horatio_b
17th Aug 2020, 20:19
The only browser I have tried which works normally is one called Vivaldi.
Firefox, Chrome, Brave and Avast secure browser all get blocked by the popup.

OldLurker
17th Aug 2020, 20:19
The same thing seems to happen on a Windows 10 PC with old Internet Explorer but not with new Microsoft Edge. I don't have Chrome to hand because I normally use Firefox – but I've installed the NoScript extension, which I strongly recommend, which can selctively block Javascript. Install NoScript and trust pprune.org (and ajax.googleapis.com, cloudflare,com, fastly.net) but not trustarc.com, and all's well in PPRuNe land.

OldLurker
17th Aug 2020, 20:24
As I mentioned on the other thread, if you're using Firefox, install the excellent NoScript extension and don't trust trustarc.com. Done.

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 20:29
Thanks, BirdmanBerry , just tried this, installed the Privacy Badger extension to Firefox and it seems to have got rid of the broken pop-up window if Firefox and allows access to the forum again, without having to use a different PC/browser or spoof my location as being outwith the EU.

treadigraph
17th Aug 2020, 20:31
I've got the same problem on Win10/Chrome. Haven't tried using my android yet.

Clicking page back and page forward arrows seems to get around it...

VP959
17th Aug 2020, 20:35
The workaround suggested by BirdmanBerry in this thread: https://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/634843-cannot-access-pprune-ipad.html#post10863613 , to install the Privacy Badger extension, seems to work with Firefox as well as Chrome/Chromium.

It doesn't fix the fundamental flaw within the Trustarc script, as it just blocks the ability of PPRuNe to demonstrate compliance with the GDPR, so arguably it stops the forum from doing what it has to do, by law, within the EU. It is an easier workaround than either having to use a different device to browse PPRuNe or do something a bit out of the ordinary, like spoof your location using a VPN service.

Alsacienne
17th Aug 2020, 20:36
So far so good by using a VPN ... but not accessible without it using Firefox. PLEASE try to correct this ... you make my day :\

spitfirek5054
17th Aug 2020, 22:01
Have Firefox and Windows 10,took approx. 5 minutes to gain access

IBobi
17th Aug 2020, 22:41
Thank you for reporting -- we are looking into this!

FullOppositeRudder
17th Aug 2020, 23:34
Seems to be fine down here in my part of Oz (using Firefox and Windows with 'remember me' automatic sign in to this essential service).

Alsacienne
18th Aug 2020, 06:46
THANK YOU FOR FIXING THIS!!! Life is back to what passes for normal!!! :ok:

treadigraph
18th Aug 2020, 07:48
I clicked the accept button eventually though somewhat reluctant to do so as I didn't know what it was...

VP959
18th Aug 2020, 09:03
Seems to be fine down here in my part of Oz (using Firefox and Windows with 'remember me' automatic sign in to this essential service).

I'm pretty sure it only impacted those in the EU, as the pop-up in question only seemed to pop-up and hang if the device being used either was, or appeared to be, within the EU. Using a VPN to spoof one's location to somewhere outwith the EU solved the problem. From what I found out yesterday, the Trustarc pop-up is supposed to be a tool to allow websites to demonstrate compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulations, GDPR, when it works as it's supposed to. It looks as if something within the Trustarc add-on stopped working properly with some, but not all, web browsers, but this would probably only affect those of us in Europe.

waito
18th Aug 2020, 10:12
Windows 10 Edge Chromium worked here
Chrome Browser on Android worked here
I selected once in each and all was done.

Ancient Observer
18th Aug 2020, 13:48
On a desktop W10 pc, neither Firefox nor IE would work.
The new Chrom/Edge worked first time.
All seems normal now.

rogerg
20th Aug 2020, 07:09
TrustArc has recently arrived when starting pprune. What is it and why?
Thanks RG

IBobi
20th Aug 2020, 21:49
Related to GDPR.

rans6andrew
21st Aug 2020, 10:33
Every time I open Pprune I get faced with a page full of cookie options which I have to yes/no and save before I can proceed, it is getting a bit tiresome.

How can I stop this happening?

I suspect that using Firefox in "Private" browsing mode has something to do with it....... as in history and or cookies are cleared at the end of every session.

Machine OS is Linux Mint, I suspect that is not part of the issue.

Rans6..........

Saab Dastard
21st Aug 2020, 16:23
You have answered your own question, I think. Either use a standard session and save the minimum cookies required to access the site, or use a private session and enter your preferences every time.

Given that FF is your browser, you may find that Privacy Badger could help, though, even with a private session. You should be able to work out quite easily which domain needs to be red in PB. ;)

it won't help with having to enter your username and password every time, though.

SD

rans6andrew
21st Aug 2020, 17:22
As I don't need to log in every session, just those times that I am moved to add something so I am quite happy to log in when required.

I will investigate Privacy Badger? whatever that is!

Thanks.

Rans6.....

ps - I know that privacy browsing reduces the amount of crap you get left in your machine but I am not really sure of the full effect of using it. It did seem to be a good idea when I started it ..........

IBobi
21st Aug 2020, 20:52
Gotta keep cookies or it will happen.

rans6andrew
26th Aug 2020, 11:48
Privacy Badger seems to be doing a good job on Pprune ish. It has stopped the annoying popup cookie option form from happening but when I log in and try to do "Reply" to a thread I get offered the "stay on page" or "leave page" option box popup. PB claims to stop tracking cookies, why does this stop the cookie option form on Pprune? It does not stop it on the TV Freeview guide I use most days........ again, why?

Rans6..................

Saab Dastard
26th Aug 2020, 18:52
"stay on page" or "leave page" option box popupThat seems to be a CloudFlare anti-DDoS artefact. Nothing can be done. We all get it.

PB claims to stop tracking cookies, why does this stop the cookie option form on Pprune? PB works by blocking tracking cookies only, or blocking entire domains. If you (for example) block the entire trustarc domain, then you will get nothing from that domain, including the GDPR pop-up. In most cases that's too much baby with the bathwater, but sometime (as in this case) it is appropriate. I suspect that your Freeview guide domain isn't being completely blocked in PB, just actual tracking cookies. Best to RTFM to understand the tools at your disposal.
SD

Whopity
26th Aug 2020, 22:20
I have started to suffer from this tiresome popup, I have tried different computers, different browsers and I don't even have to log-in just open the Pprune page and up it comes. Best solution Goodbye Pprune!

IBobi
26th Aug 2020, 22:31
I have started to suffer from this tiresome popup, I have tried different computers, different browsers and I don't even have to log-in just open the Pprune page and up it comes. Best solution Goodbye Pprune!
As said above, your browser needs to accept cookies.

Saab Dastard
27th Aug 2020, 09:30
As said above, your browser needs to accept cookies.
Or block the offending domain.

SID PLATE
3rd Sep 2020, 17:42
It seems that logging in to pprune now requires what seems to be a complex cookie acceptance process.

Despite going through the long and irritating list of all the potential advertisers etc, and turning everything OFF, and then saving my preferences ... the pesky cookies seem to have turned themselves ON again the next time I log in.

Why ?

This is causing me stress, and is making me unhappy. I'm now going for a lie down.

lomapaseo
3rd Sep 2020, 18:26
Buck up! I always try a bottle wine before I lie down. Try eating some cookies as well and all will go away

LeftBlank
3rd Sep 2020, 19:39
It’s a pain in the proverbial.
i regularly clear out “cookies”, history and other files automatically and this means you have go through the cookies acceptance nausea every time you visit pprune. My answer is fewer visits to pprune!

Exrigger
3rd Sep 2020, 19:47
I just scroll to the bottom of the cookie list and select 'reject all' and then close on the second window, still irritating I don't visit as much due to this.

IBobi
3rd Sep 2020, 22:51
i regularly clear out “cookies”, history and other files automatically and this means you have go through the cookies acceptance nausea every time you visit pprune. My answer is fewer visits to pprune!
Blame GDPR.

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2020, 23:55
Ccleaner with whatever you want in the accept box?

I run the cleaner a couple of times a day. What's odd is a friend of mine doesn't even give it a thought. W10 and hours a day . . . Oh, and a lifetime with Big Blue. What's his secret?

A friend, a blond, used her laptop to store all her photos. It eventually wouldn't go. It hadn't got enough elbow room to run Ccleaner. One of her attempts to get by the impass was to raise it 4" from the table and drop it. (I used Ubuntu on a stick.)

Saab Dastard
4th Sep 2020, 16:04
See my suggestion above regarding Privacy Badger and domain blocking.

SD

LeftBlank
4th Sep 2020, 18:02
Thanks SD (and IBobi for the info).

rogerg
25th Dec 2020, 14:02
Every time I log in to Pprune I have revalidate TrustArc and go though the full log in procedure. Is this necessary?

IBobi
28th Dec 2020, 19:24
Set your browser to keep cookies.