PDA

View Full Version : Convictions

Tick and bash
15th Aug 2002, 23:06
Guys

I was foolishly involved in a drink drive incident a few years ago for which i am extremely regretful. Although no harm was caused to anyone nor anything damaged, it was still a horrific experience, and i ended up being convicted, handed a ban and hefty fine (which i fully deserved!!).

Basically, i am working outside of the aviation industry at the moment (trainee accountant/auditor) but am seriously considering taking up the self-sponsord route for commercial training in the near future. Obviously, i have this conviction hanging over me and was wondering whether this would be a burden on my potential of gaining employment with an airline in the future.

Any comments or advice you may have is much appreciated!

'%MAC'
16th Aug 2002, 01:16
Jimmy Buffett has a line in one of his songs “we’ll live through the past if it takes all of the future.” What the airlines want to see is a mature attitude (which you obviously demonstrate) and a clean record from the time of the incident. This comes from the land that is having an image problem with alcohol and piloting at the moment, so wait to hear from your comrades in Britain. In the US it is something you would have to address, but it is not a career stopper. Best of luck, we need more thoughtful people in aviation.

Psr777
16th Aug 2002, 03:05
Being on the receiving end of a ban myself I can totally sympathise with you.

I too was stopped 2 1/2 years ago and totally deserved what I got, 6 month ban £900 fine, court costs of £55 and a solicitor (1 1/2 hours) £455.

I was on days off and my employers were great.

Unfortunately, most airline applications have a section which states whether or not you have a valid clean driving license, so not too sure if it would affect you. If you are looking to be flight crew it may well have an impact, cabin crew could be another matter, an dthe fact that it was a couple of years ago can only help your cause.

Good Luck.:p

captainmacuk
16th Aug 2002, 14:00
hi there,

I think we must have a mirroed life or something, I am serving a ban for drink driving at the moment, got caught the next day just over the limit, Very stupid, 1st and only offence i will ever have, big mistake towards the career though, i myself also want to become a commercial pilot, and I am a trainee accountant, not to worry i have been advised by airline pilots and instructors that as long as you have a clean background since the incident and you can prove you have learnt from the mistake tou willl be ok,

cya later

good luck

--------------------
V1 Rotate