PDA

View Full Version : The state of aviation

SDN Superstar
3rd Aug 2020, 09:27
https://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3428/Casual%20Pilot%20required%20for%20Cessna%20P210R%20Sunshine% 20Coast%20Qld

Six months ago you could fly a Dash 8 with 150 hours and a heart beat.

Welcome to the future!

Casual Pilot required for Cessna P210R, Sunshine Coast, Qld

About the Opportunity

Privately owned 1985 Cessna P210R located on the Sunshine Coast, Qld. The aircraft will be shared between businesses that have assets located all over Australia including Western Australia and Tasmania. The plane will not be hired out to third parties.

The owner requires a casual pilot or pilots that are available on short notice and often to stay in regional areas over multiple nights.

It is anticipated that the aircraft will do around 200 hrs per year.

Minimum qualifications and experience

Must be an Australian or New Zealand trained CPL
Must hold an ASIC
Have a minimum of 5000 hours total flying time
Have a minimum of 1000 hours experience on combined piston Cessna 200, 300 or 400 series or on the Continental TSIO 520 engine or their equivalent
Have a minimum 1000 hrs flying in regional Australia and landing on bush strips
Have experience on Cessna 200 series
Have experience on smaller pressurised aircraft
Have training or experience in lean of peak engine management for big bore engines
IFR rated
Class 1 Medical

Desirable

Flexible arrangement and willingness to fly at short notice and change plans
Available to start immediately
Based on the Sunshine Coast, Qld
Hold a valid flight instructor rating and be willing to instruct the owner to obtain a PPL
Have no criminal charges or any pending judgments. A current Police Check (National Police Certificate) will be required.
Honest, reliable, easy going and down to earth
Excellent people and communication skills
A safety-first attitude
Non -smoker is preferred
Willingness to assist in all aspects of the management of the aircraft
Treat the aircraft like you own it
Have an efficient and timely service culture - the aircraft ready for take-off when the passengers arrive

Other

Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Remuneration will be on an hourly and/or day rate
More than one pilot may be selected to ensure availability

machtuk
3rd Aug 2020, 10:34
Christ I'd hate to see the requirments to fly a space shuttle!
I take a peek every Friday at the AFAP pilot job site, its the most sobering thing I've ever read -(

Middle.Marker
3rd Aug 2020, 11:17
More like the owner has no idea and has pulled the figures out of their a***.

KRUSTY 34
3rd Aug 2020, 11:28
Christ I'd hate to see the requirments to fly a space shuttle!
I take a peek every Friday at the AFAP pilot job site, its the most sobering thing I've ever read -(

Oh that’s gold.

I hope this is someone’s idea of a joke, because posting such overqualified requirements for a job that amounts to no more than scraps, will only attract one type of candidate.

Good luck with that.

dr dre
3rd Aug 2020, 11:30
More like the owner has no idea and has pulled the figures out of their a***.

It sounds like smart ass private owner/owners thinking they can get away with anything. I’m fairly sure anyone who ends up “working” (use that term loosely) for these people will be treated like dirt.

I’m actually a little surprised the AFAP published such a demeaning ad. Sure we’re in hard times but that’s just ridiculous.

On Track
3rd Aug 2020, 11:43
I know times are tough but somebody must be living in a parallel universe.

Karunch
3rd Aug 2020, 12:49
Well the P210R is a lovely aircraft....

Hamley
3rd Aug 2020, 13:13
Finally all that remote area big bore engine lean of peak smaller pressurised 200 series time is going to pay off.

I can’t wait to get started training the owner in this single engine piston ‘flexible arrangement’ non-smoker ‘short notice’ ‘change plans’ casual private ops gig.

I’ve been waiting for 5000 hrs to fly a C210

exfocx
3rd Aug 2020, 14:16
Possibly you people have taken a wrong path! I didn't see it as an ad to take "advantage" of whats taken place, but a particular ad looking for a particular person/s. Since it's like 200 hrs pa I'm guessing looking for someone who is retired and doesn't need the income who would look after the a/c, has a reasonable amount of experience and who would likely enjoy a bit of flying.

De_flieger
3rd Aug 2020, 17:28
Since it's like 200 hrs pa I'm guessing looking for someone who is retired and doesn't need the income who would look after the a/c, has a reasonable amount of experience and who would likely enjoy a bit of flying.
I reckon someone who is retired and doesn't need the income - but also simultaneously has a valid flight instructor rating - might not be that interested in a gig that offers multiple night stays in regional areas at short notice, and changed plans at the drop of a hat, while instructing the owner and cleaning the aircraft afterwards, and ensuring that it is ready whenever the passengers show up. They're obviously looking for someone flexible, but most jobs don't involve that much bending over.

Ascend Charlie
3rd Aug 2020, 21:25
And then only being paid per flight hour...

finestkind
3rd Aug 2020, 22:36
I think you have all taken this the wrong way and are beating your chests to show how experienced you are and unavailable for such a demeaning job.

I intend to apply with a few caveats.

Owner.

Must be between 18 and 40 y.o and female.

Be a non-smoker (or have lubricant that prevents smoking).

Available for massages after flights.

Available for back washes when required.

Must hold a drivers licence to ferry me to and from establishments that serve liquor

Needs to have lady friends that will accompany owner on flights.

Lady friends need to be able to give massages.

After every 50 hours supply a first class ticket to overseas destination off my choice.

Have experience in bore management.

Communication skills aligning with only relevant topics to be discussed.

Desirable.

Medical experience a benefit particularly when accompanied with a lady friend.

I am still working on the caveats and happy to take advice on what should be included.

Andy_G
3rd Aug 2020, 23:04
This job app reads like "Experienced heart surgeon required to pour coffee at local street cafe and should be comfortable to work at any random hour when customers feel like being served, pay=$2.50/hour,
(must supply own coffee)"

Capt Fathom
3rd Aug 2020, 23:33
Whether they are realistic or not, the owner dictates the requirements.
It will certainly remove the tyre kickers from the equation!

junior.VH-LFA
4th Aug 2020, 00:23
Whether they are realistic or not, the owner dictates the requirements.
It will certainly remove the tyre kickers from the equation!

It will remove everyone from the equation.

TBM-Legend
4th Aug 2020, 00:39
It sounds like smart ass private owner/owners thinking they can get away with anything. I’m fairly sure anyone who ends up “working” (use that term loosely) for these people will be treated like dirt.

I’m actually a little surprised the AFAP published such a demeaning ad. Sure we’re in hard times but that’s just ridiculous.

Don't like it, then don't apply. Stay with Uber...

tbfka
4th Aug 2020, 01:03
Like another poster mentioned, I'm surprised AFAP even published this. 5000 hrs, available at the drop of a hat, changing plans, casual rates, FIR, teach the owner, nights away from home and possibly sharing the job. Must surely be a joke...

Qwark
4th Aug 2020, 01:22
Serious question. Does anybody actually run these types of engines "lean of peak"? (Successfully long term).

Icarus2001
4th Aug 2020, 01:35
Does anybody actually run these types of engines "lean of peak"? (Successfully long term). Hang on a minute while I go and get a deckchair and some popcorn, this is going to be good.

Angle of Attack
4th Aug 2020, 01:54
LoL, yes lean of peak can be run successfully long term but only if you do it correctly! Ideally you need an accurate digital reading of not only the EGT but also individual Cylinders otherwise you run the risk of damage. But I agree, bring on the popcorn!

John Citizen
4th Aug 2020, 02:15
Don't like it, then don't apply. Stay with Uber..

Ridiculous requirements, no one will meet and ever apply. Stay without a pilot.....

maverick22
4th Aug 2020, 02:27
So does the applicant need to have their own AOC as well to offer flight training to the owner?

Turnleft080
4th Aug 2020, 03:39
Bob and Doug can't even apply

brokenagain
4th Aug 2020, 03:50
Interesting that the ad is no longer on AFAP.

KRUSTY 34
4th Aug 2020, 05:00
Interesting that the ad is no longer on AFAP.

There you go, another successful candidate.

Just kidding. But I did like Icarus and AOA’s idea.

KRviator
4th Aug 2020, 09:14
Interesting that the ad is no longer on AFAP.Still there. Here it is... (https://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3428/Casual%20Pilot%20required%20for%20Cessna%20P210R%20Sunshine% 20Coast%20Qld)

As for who you'd be flying for, well, They'd love to hear from you (https://www.lagunabay.com.au/contact-us/), so why not email 'em and tell them what you think of their minimums. The email address from their pilot ad is the same.

Angle of Attack
4th Aug 2020, 09:33
Regardless of LOP operation with it flying 200 hours per year you’d make far more doing a Man and Ute operation per annum, this is obviously targeted at a retiree who has nothing else to do, although current IR rating and Instructor? Hmmm good luck.

Angle of Attack
4th Aug 2020, 09:48
I just emailed a CV for laughs, run down,

Total Time - 4999.0 hours ( but I can hire a C150 for an hour at own cost to make the shortfall)
Big bores Continental Engines - More than a thousand hours (I fitted a third pod to the Seminole during IFR training, big bore engine windmilling, man that 2 engine out performance was really bad!)
Lean of Peak Experience - Lots of experience only 17 cracked Cylinders in 4999 hours, includes 1 cracked in a C150 (It was a piece of junk anyway
1000 hours regional flying, Yep with 4999 hours I can safely say 1000 was in a Regional areas. I landed on lots of Bush Strips, including RWY 18
at YBSU, it got closed because of short length and dangerous crosswinds, and that was in a Jabiru...
Small Pressurised Airplanes, Once I was transporting LPG gas’s cylinders which leaked the entire flight, pressurised my C172 cockpit, had to manage the pressurisation to avoid explosion.(ie put the ciggy out)
IFR ? Yeah of course I do follow roads, Class 1 medical? Don’t be silly that’s a given. In fact it’s a Class 0.99 medical, even better than the 1.0 version. 0.99% of requirements met is what I mean..

Xeptu
4th Aug 2020, 11:42
Thankyou for your application, you have progressed to our short list. We will contact you to arrange an interview.
Please advise if you have any wheels up landing experience.

LapSap
4th Aug 2020, 14:35
Standby for the A Current Affair ..”we advertised, nobody wants to work...” story, coming soon.

Turnleft080
4th Aug 2020, 15:21
I just emailed a CV for laughs, run down,

Total Time - 4999.0 hours ( but I can hire a C150 for an hour at own cost to make the shortfall)
Big bores Continental Engines - More than a thousand hours (I fitted a third pod to the Seminole during IFR training, big bore engine windmilling, man that 2 engine out performance was really bad!)
Lean of Peak Experience - Lots of experience only 17 cracked Cylinders in 4999 hours, includes 1 cracked in a C150 (It was a piece of junk anyway
1000 hours regional flying, Yep with 4999 hours I can safely say 1000 was in a Regional areas. I landed on lots of Bush Strips, including RWY 18
at YBSU, it got closed because of short length and dangerous crosswinds, and that was in a Jabiru...
Small Pressurised Airplanes, Once I was transporting LPG gas’s cylinders which leaked the entire flight, pressurised my C172 cockpit, had to manage the pressurisation to avoid explosion.(ie put the ciggy out)
IFR ? Yeah of course I do follow roads, Class 1 medical? Don’t be silly that’s a given. In fact it’s a Class 0.99 medical, even better than the 1.0 version. 0.99% of requirements met is what I mean..
Dear Angle of Attack
My name is Richard Jones I'm the Flight Director of NASA's new space shuttle program working in coordination with
SpaceX program.
Our new space shuttle program consists of 6 brand new shuttles that are presently in assembly (first one will roll out next week)
will have glass and touch screen flight controls.
I know it's not the appropriate time and place (on PPrune) to advise you that we have throughly analysed with a fine tooth comb
of your credentials, your aptitude and knowledge of operating technical equipment. We NASA are extremely happy to invite you
to our program, interview permitting, which is a formality. Your selection is important to us in that of diversifying our crew, providing an
Aussie (Andy being the first) located around the Tropic of Capricorn, will demonstrate the world coming together.
I must say your C150 time more importantly operating a Seminole with 3 continental engines is exactly the person we are looking
for as it replicates the back end of a space shuttle tri-motor thrust dynamics.
Since you have cracked 17 cylinders, we know for sure your highly unlikely to do a 18th. Word of advice with your NASA interview
you maybe asked, What do you do when we call for throttle up? Answer, apply mixture full rich. You may also add, this happens
at FL500 at Mach 2. which also represents burning an Olympic size swimming pool of fuel every 25sec.That will show the interview
panel you have done your homework.
Having expertise in LPG in pressurising C172 also demonstrates your chemistry is fundamental as we deal with a lot of gas/liquids that are
stored in large tanks. Your class 1 or any lower is well above the fitness levels for experiencing any degree of G force.
Finally I'm attaching this youtube vid to give you inspiration and an example of the shuttle's handling characteristics.
Very shortly you will liaise with our Chief NASA test director, Assit NASA test director on other protocols.
I hope you take this opportunity to advance your career and we very much look forward to welcoming you to the team.
However if you decide to decline our offer we understand that flying a pressurised C210R out of YSBU certainly out rates and supersedes
any space program.
Your sincerely

Richard Jones.

https://youtu.be/Hy1Nc4YpAUI

jmmoric
4th Aug 2020, 15:22
Noone asked what the pay was? Maybe it's really really good.... or you'd end up getting other benefits from it....

neville_nobody
4th Aug 2020, 22:06
It's a gee up as there are no P210's registered or operated in QLD.

smiling monkey
4th Aug 2020, 23:49
This is their email if anyone still wish to apply. [email protected] . I think I'll enquire as to how many moon landings they require.

It's a gee up as there are no P210's registered or operated in QLD.

And no P210R on the CASA register either, however there are 9 P210N's. https://www.casa.gov.au/aircraft-register?f%5B0%5D=field_ar_manu%3A4426&f%5B1%5D=field_ar_model%3A28596

Capt Fathom
5th Aug 2020, 01:29
And no P210R on the CASA register either

I can see three P210R's on the register.

Mach E Avelli
5th Aug 2020, 03:01
A wise friend of mine once said that all marriages are mutual rescue.
As sad as it is, they will have applicants a'plenty. They will find someone. If that someone wrecks their engine, perhaps each party will get exactly what they deserve.

plotplot
5th Aug 2020, 07:29
The ad was taken down couple days ago, regardless of whether you can click a link and still see it.

I’d love to see their inbox; either they took it down due to the hate mail or afap removed it after complaints. No way it was due to an overwhelming response.

Stickshift3000
5th Aug 2020, 07:42
This is their email if anyone still wish to apply. [email protected]

Investment fund manager:
https://www.lagunabay.com.au/

Angle of Attack
5th Aug 2020, 09:12
At 200 hours a year at GA award of a tad over $70 per hour you would get 14k a year.....but possibly shared between a few pilots!
For info Jobseeker without Corona supplement is currently $14700 per year. It has to be a pi$$take.....

KRviator
5th Aug 2020, 09:55
You'd like to think so, but if that's the case, why include an actual email address linked to a real company instead of some random gmail address? Vengeful ex-employee maybe? 200 hours a year across multiple states in a 210 is what? 1 trip a fortnight?

More to the point, how could AOPA be willing to host it without cross-checking it's legit? And why is it still available on their website - even if the jobs-page link has been removed?

doublemamba
5th Aug 2020, 11:52
Holy ****!, I hope this was a joke for all our sakes

Green.Dot
5th Aug 2020, 21:49
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x120/df83de99_22dd_4dba_bbfa_37e34382c38d_577b10e8dcd66a0fa896a6d 8e84075a80c20c5e0.jpegHow’s this for the bonus prize?! You get to instruct your boss how to fly the thing while he or she watches you manage the lean of peak operations “like it was your own aircraft”. Sounds like a hoot.

The student astronaut would surely need about 500 hours on type before soloing in this beast.

Stickshift3000
5th Aug 2020, 23:09
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/750x120/df83de99_22dd_4dba_bbfa_37e34382c38d_577b10e8dcd66a0fa896a6d 8e84075a80c20c5e0.jpegHow’s this for the bonus prize?! You get to instruct your boss how to fly the thing while he or she watches you manage the lean of peak operations “like it was your own aircraft”. Sounds like a hoot.

The student astronaut would surely need about 500 hours on type before soloing in this beast.

And require an AOC!

If it is a joke or business malice then it's pretty well thought out...

Capt Fathom
6th Aug 2020, 01:25
It's interesting what people read into job ads!