PDA

View Full Version : Licence conversion

Lobos
15th Aug 2002, 15:08
Aussie planning on going to Canada early next year some time will have around 1500 hours 350 multi. Wondering about conversion costs and any reccomended companies to convert with. Initial qoutes for Multi IFR conversion have been around $3500 is that about right or am I getting ripped off? Any local knowledge would be great, cheers!

ipanema
16th Aug 2002, 17:54
The Boss here doesn't want commercial endorsements, so I would just direct you to see another thread here...
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61110
and my own participation there as regards the written examinations.

With the biggest possible loss of money in having to fly straight and level for long periods to get to a navaid to do your training and/or check, the best place I know for multi IFR work is Winnipeg and Perimeter Aviation (it can take as long as 25 minutes _each_way_ to fly from Buttonville around - not through - the Toronto TCA to Hamilton to do your instrument work!)

Lower levels of commercial traffic at Winnipeg International, several runways and virtually no obstacles make it an ideal location (I was there in 1972 and again last year).

Perimeter also work with an SOP method - very good for airline indoctrination - and there are a few hotels nearby who give good rates for the student pilots on the airport.

$3,500 is probably a bit high, but like all training it all depends on your currency and how you deal with the change in scenery and ability to memorise the new procedures and adapt to the new aircraft. You can contact them directly by email with a little searching on the Net (I suspect giving their address here would be pushing my luck).

With an overseas employer pushing my deadlines to get current again I found myself wasting time trying to learn how to balance the log on the pin-head in the Jeppesen simulator computer (at 1/3 the airplane cost), so after two hours there I insisted on training in the aircraft and that worked for me.

They use TravelAirs (underpowered Barons), which are well equipped (DME, GPS, autopilot) and easy to fly but are very cramped. You need to organise yourself in the cockpit and have everything available to hand.

Good luck...

Lobos
17th Aug 2002, 13:19
cheers for that, I just checked out the perimeter web site, looks pretty good. Do you know of any other operaters like this. Also what is the best time of year, if any, to get employed over there?

Panama Jack
17th Aug 2002, 14:24
Lobos-- Professional IFR in Vancouver has a very good reputation. Normally springtime (March to May) is when most of the movement is. Of course, this spring was lackluster thanks to the joint efforts of Uncle Osama, Enron, Worldcom, et al. If you've got something going on elsewhere I wouldn't recommend coming here.

pittss2b
18th Aug 2002, 14:51
For info about licence conversions:http://www.harvsair.com/training/conversions/index.htm

Lobos
19th Aug 2002, 14:45
thanx for the info,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any skydiving ops? And how long the season lasts for. are there any turbine operators?

MLS-12D
19th Aug 2002, 22:01
You can find some information re skydiving operations at www.aviationcanada.ca/forum/ (click on "Commercial and Business Aviation", and you will see a thread entitled "Para/jumps pilot training").

From what I can see from the link, in Canada some (many? most? all?) of the skydiving outfits do not pay their pilots anything.:(

Hopes this helps.

PB4
12th Sep 2002, 15:16
Hi,

Always looking for the best way to achieve my Commercial I'm actually looking with interest into the Canadian way.

You are asking about converting a foreign licence to a Canadian Licence but what about converting a Canadian Licence to JAA Licence or say FAA ? is that possible without doubling your expenses ? Did any body has done that and could send a few word on it ?

thanks,

Whatch Your Six !!

prang one
18th Sep 2002, 13:08
I came over from England with a Frozen ATPL. I moved to Vancouver because I like the mountains.

Had to do a Commercial flight test which just involved finding a cheep C152 and an examiner.

Did the multi IFR conversion at PRO IFR . VERY good company for conversions as they just charge you for what you need to do.Basical did a bunch of short hops from Van to Abbotsford in a Beech something untill I was good to do the ride.Did it in Jan/Feb giving me enough time to get a pulse on the jobs for spring with all my tickets in line.

I was flying (for cash) 6 months after I arrived in Canada have not been out of work since.

Its hard work and you have to make lots of contacts to get a job but Ill probably never work in Blighty again because Canada rocks

Freak On A Leash
21st Sep 2002, 18:08
Sounds pretty straight forward, prang one.Did you have to take any written exams or did the Canadians accept your frozen ATPLs?

Also, how did you go about getting a work permit/authorization?

Having flown in AK I can see why you like Canada - great scenery and very nice people.:)

prang one
29th Sep 2002, 18:38
I took the Canadian ATPL exams just to get them done.As I recall there was no credit even if I opted just to start with a commercial.Saying that though there a peice of cake compared to the UK exams.2 exams and your instrument.spent a solid 14 days to prep for them and 85+ on every one.

I sponsored myself as a Landed Immigrant.Pilot scores near the top of the tree(its based on a points system)Only you have to have been working as a pilot for more than 12 months to claim it as your job/vocation in life.

Its great over here!!!

polarkiwi
30th Sep 2002, 03:12
I converted from a NZ CPL to a Canadian licence. it helps if you have an ATPL and a few hrs (750 min I believe)as you can skip the CPL exams then.
Just a Cpl flight test (ATPL exams) and an (IFR exam)IFR flight test.

As for places
Pro IFR they run an IFR school in Vancouver and w/e seminars to famil with the Canadian way of doing things; very handy

Aerocourse; w/e prep for the 2 x ATPL exams; gauranteed to pass if you take that.

Heard good things re perimeter for IFR stuff

Also if you want some fun/ change, do your CPL flight test/trg in a float plane (7hrs min) and get a float endorsment; Air Hart aviation in Kelowna..........

Best time for a job......anytime
Best time to find a job......be standing there when someone just left.