PDA

View Full Version : Demystifying Radio calls on Transfer

fwypwane
17th Jul 2020, 12:38
Anyone know where to find the correct phraseology when identified and transferring from Radar Approach/Departures to Radar Centre (enroute frequency)?

Usually I have always got by when on transfer from approach to centre by saying "Brisbane Centre, XXX passing 9000 climbing FL190". However an airline pilot has informed me that this is incorrect as I have already been identified by Approach and that all I need to say is "Brisbane Centre, XXX cleared FL190"

AIP is silent, Jepps is silent and even the ICAO Annex 10 doesn't have an example of this from my search.

To me purpose is to ensure that the next frequency is matching your current altitude and intended altitude. "Cleared" level would be a given from the previous controller

Thoughts?

Big Pistons Forever
18th Jul 2020, 15:11
How about: Centre XXX outah nine for one nine oh

Hat, coat, briefcase, roller bag, emergency slide....

awair
18th Jul 2020, 17:30
CAP 413, for those in UK airspace, see Chapter 3 “Cleared Level only...”, except for SIDs.

wiggy
18th Jul 2020, 20:21
fwypwane

As has been indicated above it depends where in the world you are..

Given the content of your OP and your stated location is there an Australian equivalent of the aforementioned CAP 413 (https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=6973)?

fwypwane
19th Jul 2020, 14:40
Unfortunately we don't have an equivalent of the CAP 413, but this answers my question. Thank you

Duchess_Driver
20th Jul 2020, 07:15
Initial call on departure “passing x cleared y SID designator.” That allows confirmation of pressure altitude being pushed out by the box.

On change from one centre “climbing/level/descending x next significant point/assigned condition (radar heading, speed etc).

Never heard a complaint (from ATC) about too much information being passed - often hear complaints/requests for more.

Jhieminga
20th Jul 2020, 10:49
Apart from Annex 10, which you've already seen, another part of this story is in ICAO Doc 4444, available here: https://ops.group/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/ICAO-Doc4444-Pans-Atm-16thEdition-2016-OPSGROUP.pdf See chapter 12. It lists the ATC side of the story though and I haven't looked closely enough to see if your question is answered here.
This document doesn't include a reference to the official docs (apart from having been written by Eurocontrol), but does support your initial post: https://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/115.pdf

parkfell
21st Jul 2020, 04:57
Think of this from a practical common sense point of view. UK / EASA version of events.

On departure, you state your passing level on first contact to verify the mode C.
999 times out of a thousand, what you stated is essentially what ATC see on their display. The information is accurate. The assumption is that it will stay good for the flight. No need to say a passing level again, unless requested by ATC.

Ascend Charlie
21st Jul 2020, 07:21
Doesn't matter what you say, some Proon expert will tear you apart. So don't sweat it. What you said sounds good to me.

Unhinged
14th Aug 2020, 00:41
Your airline pilot friend is correct.
AIP can be obscure (it's all part of CASA's plan for world domination !), but ....

The primary reference you need is: AIP ENR 1.1 Section 2.7.4.3 Page 1.1-20
2.7 After Take-off
2.7.4 Frequency Change
2.7.4.3 When contacting Area Control, pilots must advise the last assigned level and, if not maintaining the assigned level, the level maintaining or last vacated level.
Note: The "last vacated level" may be omitted by identified aircraft squawking altitude derived level information.

That's consistent with the general case in AIP-ENR 1.1 Section 6.1.4 Page 1.1-44
6. Radio Communication and Navigation Requirements
6.1 Summary of Report and Broadcast Requirements
6.1.4 After any ATS directed frequency change, pilots must advise the last assigned level and, if not maintaining the assigned level, the level maintaining or last vacated level; e.g. "Melbourne Centre (Callsign) Cleared Flight Level Two One Zero, Leaving Flight Level Two Niner Zero".
Note: The "last vacated level" may be omitted by identified aircraft squawking altitude derived level information.