PDA

View Full Version : No reverse callout Airbus

CM1A320
16th Jul 2020, 01:28
Good evening,
for engine out landing, i briefed the selection of both reversers as per procedure,
what is the correct callout?
NO REV ENG XX?
or just reverse green.

what About a landing with reverse inop on MEL?

thank you

J.O.
16th Jul 2020, 02:42
It’s been a while so this is only my belief. The selection of both reverse levers will result in no indications at all on the “dead” engine. If the running engine shows “green”, my logic says the call is “Reverse Green” since that’s what you’re expecting.

deja vu
16th Jul 2020, 03:14
It has been a while but at the time in my outfit you called what you saw. It was very common to dispatch with a reverser locked out under an ADD and on landing the call out would be "reverse green no. 1" or whatever was operating. I only did one engine out landing for real in the 330 over 15 years and I think we said "thank God" on that occasion. Obviously there were many in the sim and you called out what you saw.

JunkBus
16th Jul 2020, 03:34
The Standard call out as per Airbus “ standard call outs “ is - “ No REV engine xx “

vilas
16th Jul 2020, 03:46
The Standard call out as per Airbus “ standard call outs “ is - “ No REV engine xx “
True! It's vague. Normally it's "reverse green" when expecting both and "no reverse on xxx" when one of them doesn't. But when expecting only on one of them calling "no reverse on xxx" can be misleading. Better call what's expected.

alf5071h
16th Jul 2020, 08:50
Procedures should focus on calling abnormal or failure conditions.
Routine, normal calls, can result in wish-think (wish hear); you say or hear what is expected, thus the failure is not attended to.

sonicbum
16th Jul 2020, 10:10

Very true.
As vilas highlights, the FCOM states "If the reverse deployment is not as expected, call NO REVERSE ENGINE__ or NO REVERSE, as appropriate."
But in that scenario we do expect 1 reverse to work on the live engine (hopefully) so this is our expectation anyway.
We could argue that in case the remaining Reverse would not deploy, the callout would be "No Reverse" and that solves the problem, hence calling "No Rev engine xx" is fine.
On the other hand the standard call "REVERSE GREEN" is also applicable and matches the expectations.
Personally when conducting LPCs if the call made is "REVERSE GREEN" I just double check the crew is aware of the "NO REVERSE ENG XX" callout and when it is applicable and that's about it with no remarks.

Black Pudding
16th Jul 2020, 12:15
Does your NOPs not say the following.

“Check that the ECAM E/WD displays that the reverse deployment is as expected (REV green)“

The words here is AS EXPECTED. On single engine, you are not expecting it to work ?

On a flight with one dispatched as INOP, you are not expecting it to work ?

I think the call of “NO REVERSE” is a prompt to let the PF know they have either forgotten or have not selected correctly.

CM1A320
16th Jul 2020, 12:32
What if we dispatch no reversers,
On an RTO, no REV would be expected, but i think its a good idea to call NO REVERSE, DECEL.

vilas
16th Jul 2020, 16:53
What if we dispatch no reversers,
On an RTO, no REV would be expected, but i think its a good idea to call NO REVERSE, DECEL. I don't think that's a good idea. When both reversers are not available the procedure is not to move thrust levers into reverse position as that initially increases the fuel flow. So a call no reverse may trigger a conditioned reflex for the PF to go into reverse. Instead a reminder to keep thrust levers at forward idle only is better.

LW20
26th Jul 2020, 19:54
The call verifies if happends what you are expecting. So if you land OEI, you call „REV GREEN“ when the Reverser on to life engine deploys.

champair79
26th Jul 2020, 20:19
Regardless of what’s technically correct, always make sure you ask the question in the departure/emergency and approach brief to clear up any misunderstandings. This thread has shown me there are two (or more) ways to skin a cat. Don’t give your colleagues a nasty surprise.

nickler
13th Aug 2022, 09:12
Hi,

I have noticed that with the last revisions of our manuals the call for "No reverse engine __" has to be made "in case of failure". Prior to that it used to be "If the reverse deployment is not as expected" so we would call "reverse Green" when landing single engine or "No reverse engine X" in case of RTO. Has anything changed?

Thanks