PDA

View Full Version : Qatar ATC

Vampy
5th Jul 2020, 08:37
So apparently there's suddenly a number of vacancies in Qatar that will open up when the inevitable increase in traffic moves forward. A number of sackings because people had the audacity to not have the forethought that a worldwide pandemic would lead to border closures and so people who found themselves on the wrong side of the border, found themselves dismissed.

Combine that with the story of the ATCO who was unceremoniously dumped a few years ago for doing literally nothing wrong but was made the scapegoat for senior locals decisions, it begs the question:

Who in their right mind would even consider going to Doha now in the current climate OR when things inevitably start to pick up and the QCAA are suddenly desperate for staff again?

scaredATCO
5th Jul 2020, 11:14
No one in their right mind will dare to come here after what's going on: Layoffs, paycuts, inability to leave the country.
This company and the government want to have absolute control over people's lives.

Definitely, for those who are in doubt whether to come in the future, the answer is no.

Not Long Now
5th Jul 2020, 13:20
Presumably someone who has assessed the working conditions and limited legal protection available, and decided that the substantial renumeration package outweighs these negatives? Perhaps a controller who now has no job having been made redundant from a notionally secure country infrastructure, and finds the idea of continuing their chosen profession, albeit in a different country, appealing, or indeed necessary. Perhaps someone with a limited time left before retirement who would like to boost their income for a few years? Perhaps even someone who ignores all the small print and sees the headline package. I'm fairly sure there will be takers.

Atcboss
7th Jul 2020, 11:08
Avoid at all costs all ME ANSP (DANS employee’s seems to be AT THIS TIME the less impacted). Very sad story of colleagues in Abu Dhabi/Qatar that just joinEd early 2020 being thrown away/massive paycuts/...

All leaving in fear to get that phone call for their « office meeting within the next 48h »

Nimmer
8th Jul 2020, 18:25
I imagine the pay will be a fairly large amount, and that is always an incentive.

Vlad the Impaler
9th Jul 2020, 08:54
What a load of sensationalist sound bitey bull****. All ANSPs are facing uncertain times. There are currently very few if any truly safe jobs in our industry. For those of you who haven't been around long enough to see this cycle play out, same ****, different cause. It all sorts itself out in the end and there are always those unfortunates who are in the wrong place at the wrong time and end up carrying the can.
All this woe is me the sky is falling bull**** doesn't help anyone. Go and cry to a counsellor. The ME has always had a more volatile job market than other regions. That along with other well known considerations is why we get paid over the odds. I wouldn't say that someone considering moving here to work now has anything more to worry about than at any other time in the last ten years. As with anything important in life, do your own research, speak to sensible people (not so many of those on here), weigh up the pros and cons for your personal situation and make up your own mind.
Rant over. Back to my tea.

kontrolor
9th Jul 2020, 09:25
another UK "expat" or better said Immigrant?

Pringle_
9th Jul 2020, 23:06
100% agree with Vlad

360BakTrak
9th Jul 2020, 23:42
I second that.

canbe
16th Jul 2020, 06:11
Why are we getting vectored around Qatar these days? Not enough controllers to handle the traffic?

360BakTrak
19th Jul 2020, 09:01
Depends on who 'we' is........blockade ring any bells?

canbe
20th Jul 2020, 11:16
So scheduled passenger flights are getting taken off-route for extra track miles and inconvenience because individual ATCs are pissed about the blockade? How very professional.

Squawk 6042
21st Jul 2020, 05:05
It’s not up to ATC – It’s a Government directive. Flew Doha to Dar es Salaam recently and routing out of Doha was North then East towards Straits of Hormuz, thus avoiding UAE airspace, before turning round south towards Oman and then onward.

360BakTrak
21st Jul 2020, 09:27
So scheduled passenger flights are getting taken off-route for extra track miles and inconvenience because individual ATCs are pissed about the blockade? How very professional.

​​​​​​​Absolutely not! Blockading countries governments do not allow Qatar registered aircraft over their territory, Qatar didn't reciprocate with civil operations but banned military overflights. ATCO's will not re-route aircraft like that at free will but if instructed to do so. What level were you at and what frequency were you on?

canbe
22nd Jul 2020, 05:39
On 119.1 climbing out (civil pax service). Vectors and re-route given with reason; Doha control refusing the flight.

360BakTrak
22nd Jul 2020, 16:09
On 119.1 climbing out (civil pax service). Vectors and re-route given with reason; Doha control refusing the flight.

Out of Bahrain? If so it's possibly due to R-53 or other military activity, not because Doha control are refusing the flight. Doha will have to pass on the message from the military who will have refused the transit of the active danger area probably. ATCO's don't refuse to work traffic or re-route it without a valid reason.

canbe
23rd Jul 2020, 08:23
​​​​​​​Absolutely not! Blockading countries governments do not allow Qatar registered aircraft over their territory, Qatar didn't reciprocate with civil operations but banned military overflights. ATCO's will not re-route aircraft like that at free will but if instructed to do so. What level were you at and what frequency were you on?
So you say that Qatar didn't reciprocate with civil operations? Military activities on airways, active danger areas (what danger areas??) preventing civil ops- pull the other one. I've been in the ME long enough to smell BS.

360BakTrak
27th Jul 2020, 18:14
So you say that Qatar didn't reciprocate with civil operations? Military activities on airways, active danger areas (what danger areas??) preventing civil ops- pull the other one. I've been in the ME long enough to smell BS.

Ok...you obviously know best.

HowardB
6th Aug 2020, 17:00
For what its worth I spent much of the last 20 years in Qatar and other middle eastern countries, but never assumed the job was permanent. So long as you understand that you can have a great life there - enjoy life to the full, but save money all the time and absolutely NEVER borrow money locally.

It is almost guaranteed that work overseas will come to an end unexpectedly, be it due to war, politics or another pandemic and if you are prepared its just another step in your life. I found myself laid off at the end of January by one of the major companies in Qatar & had absolutely no issues with them closing out bank accounts, arranging departures and end of contract payments to facilitate my exit.

canbe
13th Aug 2020, 09:34
Ok...you obviously know best.[/color]]
It happened again yesterday- vectored around Qatar. This is not a coincidence- if you are going to deny service in your airspace why don't you publicly say so. Then we can plan for it.