PDA

View Full Version : RAF Henlow - alternatives

GWYN
19th Jun 2020, 20:52
With the current indefinite closure of the airfield and apparent demise of Henlow Flying Club, does anyone have any recommendations for other clubs / places to fly in the reasonable locality? The only one which I can think of is Fowlmere and that is a bit further than I would like and also quite pricey. Thanks for any suggestions.

MrAverage
20th Jun 2020, 08:05
We need to know where you're starting from!

Jan Olieslagers
20th Jun 2020, 08:57
Indeed it would helpful to know your starting point. Lacking that, I can only suggest taking a look at a good map:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/52.0733/-0.3074

There are a few airstrips nearby, but it is not clear how useful these could be for you.
And you did look into Old Warden, didn't you?

chevvron
20th Jun 2020, 11:36
Meppershall about 3 miles west of Henlow.
Don't bother with Cranfield; they (the University not the operators) are actively discouraging GA tracffic nowadays.

GWYN
20th Jun 2020, 11:43
Thanks for the suggestions. I should probably have said, but I am starting from close to Henlow.

As far as I know, there are no aircraft for rental at either Meppershall or Old Warden. I do agree about Cranfield though - best avoided these days. Will it change though with the downturn in commercial pilot training?

MrAverage
21st Jun 2020, 09:05
It would take you about 45 minutes to drive to us. Send me a PM if interested.

chevvron
22nd Jun 2020, 05:41
But Meppershall is "only licensed for aircraft operations related to maintenance and repair at our our associated companies" says the company's site.
So is that an 'Ordinary Use' license or a 'Public Use' license?
Meppershall as far as I can ascertain is an unlicensed private airfield thus PPR although there may be local planning conditions (not 'license') which restrict its use, however I do know that at least one group owned aircraft was operated there in the past because I knew one of the group members, a controller who worked at Stansted.
Photo on ZoomEarth shows 9 aircraft parked outside including 2 twins, a Cessna with tiptanks (340?) and an Aztec.

Monty Niveau
22nd Jun 2020, 05:55
Andrews field is just over an hour away.

...or take up gliding at Dunstable Downs, which is much closer by.

GWYN
23rd Jun 2020, 20:44
Thanks. I did try the gliding at Dunstable about 10 years ago but while it was interesting and gave a completely different outlook on flying, it didn't really grab me. Thanks for the suggestion though.