PDA

View Full Version : Fast Bird planned for ATPs

.Scott
17th Jun 2020, 12:12
How soon will we see 1 hour flights between any city and any other city?
The "Bird" is Elon's Starship - promising any Earth-to-Earth trip in less than an hour.
https://youtu.be/zqE-ultsWt0

Elon just gave a time estimate on this.
Here's a quick Twitter exchange:
Viv @flcnhvy 16h
Replying to
@elonmusk
What's the current target for the first Earth to Earth flights?

Elon Musk @elonmusk 15h
There will be many test flights before commercial passengers are carried. First Earth to Earth test flights might be in 2 or 3 years.

--------------
Given Elon's history with time estimates - let's expect this within the next 10 years.
So, if you're looking to get checked out on a 120-ton bird with 6 engines, each able to provide 450,000 pounds of force...
And that's just the top stage.

TURIN
17th Jun 2020, 12:17
This is being followed in jetblast. Its all mixed in with the falcon9/Starlink/CrewDragon stuff.

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/554107-spacex-falcon-9-live-landing-attempt-11.html

dixi188
17th Jun 2020, 12:23
Sorry. What does ATP mean?
I thought at first you meant faster BAe ATPs. That would tear the wings off.

.Scott
17th Jun 2020, 12:29
dixi188 ATP: Air Transport Pilots

His dudeness
17th Jun 2020, 14:22
If thats CO2 free, Greta is going to love it. Otherwise: how dare you !

Sqwak7700
18th Jun 2020, 05:45
Pretty sweet. Although politically impossible, at least right now.

Imagine how countries would react to high speed ballistic missiles approaching their territories.

Hell, Iran can’t even tell the difference between a military attack and a 737 seconds after taking off from a civilian airfield.

Australopithecus
18th Jun 2020, 07:20
What kind of G forces are we talking about? I know there are plenty of rocket science, political, environmental and economic reasons why this will never happen, but I am curious if even the basic fundamental physics would be prohibitive.

dixi188
18th Jun 2020, 07:52
dixi188 ATP: Air Transport Pilots
OK. (Too many acronyms in aviation). I don't think there will be pilots on board. "Dave" will do it all.
It won't happen in my lifetime and I'm planning to live to 100.
Barnes Wallis proposed hyper sonic aircraft back in the 1950s, that never happened.
We had Concorde for 27 years but economics killed supersonic transport.
I guess it's good for people to dream up these ideas, some of the sci-fi stuff does happen.
"Beam me up Scottie".

artee
18th Jun 2020, 08:16
Pretty sweet. Although politically impossible, at least right now.

Imagine how countries would react to high speed ballistic missiles approaching their territories.

Hell, Iran can’t even tell the difference between a military attack and a 737 seconds after taking off from a civilian airfield.
Did you mean to say Iran and 737, or US Navy and A300?

Sqwak7700
18th Jun 2020, 16:45
yup, all governments are incompetent. But some more than others.

Planet Basher
18th Jun 2020, 18:10
At the moment you spend longer in the airport than on the flight.

The proportion of time you will spend in the airport will now be proportionately longer, particularly with the transit to the rocket.

Heatseeker
21st Jun 2020, 07:03
Perhaps it's time to invest in these new fangled railway thingies. I did hear somewhere that France is talking about prohibiting domestic flying and making everybody travel by train. Stephenson come back, all is forgiven.

Wickerbill
21st Jun 2020, 07:47
Did you mean to say Iran and 737, or US Navy and A300?
OUCH! The truth really hurts sometimes...😀

PAXboy
24th Jun 2020, 04:37
Musk has done so many smart things, like the Mega Battery deployed in Australia and many battery techniques. If only he could be persuaded to direct his Million $$$ at reducing plastic consumption, clearing plastic from the oceans and providing employment opportunities for products and schemes that will help a WIDE section of the globe.

All the money spent on Mars and this hypersonic dream is wasted. They will only benefit a minority of humans. He could really turn himself into Mr Nice Guy, but that might involve some changes ...