PDA

View Full Version : Bombardier software bug caused incorrect turns on missed approaches...

The Nr Fairy
1st Jun 2020, 10:57
From The Register - https://www.theregister.com/2020/05/29/bombardier_missed_approach_bug/

I can't find a Canadian TSB report into the incident.

There is an EASA AD - https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/US-2020-10-05

Scary!

<I have had a quick scan for existing threads but nothing found. Feel free to move into one should it already exist>

Mad (Flt) Scientist
1st Jun 2020, 13:46
As of today it's a "Mitsubishi" bug :)

Though it's actually a (Rockwell) Collins FMS issue - and following the links, the FAA actually appears to have issued their AD against the FMS, not against the aircraft, which is certainly an interesting approach.

atakacs
1st Jun 2020, 21:50
Is that FMS used in any other aircraft ?

In any case I would agree with Bombardier that a software fix would be wiser than limiting the use of the FMS...

milan.pilot
1st Jun 2020, 23:51
Is that FMS used in any other aircraft ?

In any case I would adree with Bombardier that a software fix would be wiser than limiting the use of the FMS...
Mid age citations such as CJ2+, CJ3, RA390,... well known issue since at least 3 years

atakacs
2nd Jun 2020, 10:25
Mid age citations such as CJ2+, CJ3, RA390,... well known issue since at least 3 years

wow... and only surfacing now ?

DaveReidUK
2nd Jun 2020, 13:07

Also G150, Falcon 50, Falcon 2000, etc.

safetypee
2nd Jun 2020, 16:01
Mild thread drift; has the software bug in the EFIS re declutter mode inhibiting the vital ATT mis-compare alert been rectified (CRJ accident in Sweden).

Is the problem within EFIS, thus a vendor problem. If so what other EFIS / aircraft could be affected?

jmmoric
3rd Jun 2020, 11:52
Flying through the localiser without capturing it..... if flying too fast.

Though I understand there are ways to handle that one, if you know it has that tendency.