PDA

View Full Version : Transfer licence to CAA UK to unfreeze ATPL without MultiPilot rating

CodeOne
26th May 2020, 19:36
Dear Pilots.

I have a European (non-UK) CPL(A) Licence.
My experience is enough to request an upgrade to full ATPL (total time 3000h, 2500 in ME (Multi-Pilot Military C130) with 2000 as PIC, MCC, etc).
The problem is, I don't have any valid type rating endorsed in my license at the moment (had the C130 back in 2014, where I got the MCC from) and EASA requires the proficiency check to unfreeze the ATPL to be done on a Multi-Pilot aircraft.
CAA in the UK requires the same proficiency check to be done in a Multi-Engine (not necessarily Multi-Pilot) with IR.
I'm seriously thinking of transferring my license to the UK, just to unfreeze my ATPL, and after a few months (before Brexit) bring it back to my home country.
I'm currently jobless and a Full APTL opens a lot of doors.

Do you guys see any problem with this? It seems like a nice plan, right?
Did I misread any regulation? It seems pretty simple and clear from my reading in the law.

Best regards to all,
Rodrigo

rudestuff
27th May 2020, 07:32
Dear Pilots.

I have a European (non-UK) CPL(A) Licence.
My experience is enough to request an upgrade to full ATPL (total time 3000h, 2500 in ME (Multi-Pilot Military C130) with 2000 as PIC, MCC, etc).
The problem is, I don't have any valid type rating endorsed in my license at the moment (had the C130 back in 2014, where I got the MCC from) and EASA requires the proficiency check to unfreeze the ATPL to be done on a Multi-Pilot aircraft.
CAA in the UK requires the same proficiency check to be done in a Multi-Engine (not necessarily Multi-Pilot) with IR.
I'm seriously thinking of transferring my license to the UK, just to unfreeze my ATPL, and after a few months (before Brexit) bring it back to my home country.
I'm currently jobless and a Full APTL opens a lot of doors.

Do you guys see any problem with this? It seems like a nice plan, right?
Did I misread any regulation? It seems pretty simple and clear from my reading in the law.

Best regards to all,
Rodrigo
You need to take a skills test in a SIM for the C130 - if there even is one. The fact fact that you have a civilian licence with no MP type rating tells me that there probably isn't - or you would have got one when you converted.

Whopity
27th May 2020, 09:53
In order to obtain an ATPL the UK CAA will require that you meet the requirements of FCL.510A and pass a Skill Test in accordance with FCL.520A
FCL.520.A ATPL(A) — Skill test
Applicants for an ATPL(A) shall pass a skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Part to
demonstrate the ability to perform, as PIC of a multi-pilot aeroplane under IFR, the relevant
procedures and manoeuvres with the competency appropriate to the privileges granted.
The skill test shall be taken in the aeroplane or an adequately qualified FFS representing the same
type.
Pre JAA you could obtain an ATPL based on a MEP Class but not any more. I know of some pilots who held a UK ATPL who were incorrectly issued with an EASA ATPL on conversion based upon a non existant EASA type e.g. Vulcan.

CodeOne
27th May 2020, 13:20
You are correct, there is not. There was only one TRI/E a couple of years ago, and most SIM platforms are only for military purposes, with no need for certification. Thanks

CodeOne
27th May 2020, 13:35
Ok, i get it.
the information from regulation is different, more accurate than the one on the CAA website.

The website only states :If you are applying for an ATPL (A) you will need to already:

hold an MPL,
or
hold a CPL (A) and a multi-engine IR for aeroplanes and have completed instruction in multi-crew co-operation (MCC).

Whopity
27th May 2020, 17:14
It says a little bit more than that:

Pre-requisitesIf you are applying for an ATPL (A) you will need to already:

hold an MPL,
or
hold a CPL (A) and a multi-engine IR for aeroplanes and have completed instruction in multi-crew co-operation (MCC).

Theoretical (https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Airline-transport-pilot-licence-for-aeroplanes/#4294987015-accordioncollapse-1)Flying (https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Airline-transport-pilot-licence-for-aeroplanes/#4294987015-accordioncollapse-2)Skill test (https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/Aeroplanes/Airline-transport-pilot-licence-for-aeroplanes/#4294987015-accordioncollapse-3)

Expand the Flying and Skill Test sections.