PDA

View Full Version : Any Ab Initio Cadet programs that initially cover fees like Cathay?

FrankieP21
25th May 2020, 08:57
I've been trying to get into Cathay's program for a few years now, I went for their testing twice in HK and failed but I'm still very committed to getting into a cadet program.

I know it wasn't the most attractive program to many but I was ready to grind for those first few years and commit to living in Hong Kong. In light of recent events, I'm obviously not as keen on Cathay's program as I was.
I'm new to this forum so please don't roast me for not knowing as much as I should, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent airlines or academies that were willing to make this investment and allow you to pay off some of the fees in the first few years of employment?

I live in Australia, 24, very little savings, didn't finish my degree. Still open to trying for an army program if they'll take me.
I'd absolutely love to get into a great program but if I don't find anything like this within the next year I'll probably study nursing on student loans which will put my aviation dreams on hold at least until my 30's.

Again, please no snark or roasting. Thanks.

eimin
25th May 2020, 17:28
Short answer. Study something else, become a nurse, have a backup plan in your life.

Airlines will have a pool of: experienced (+2000h jet), rated, professional and skilled pilots. They will be able to handpick the best of the best in the markets for the next, I would dare to say, 5 years...

It is honestly difficult to see any cadet scheme happening

Climb150
25th May 2020, 22:32
I've been trying to get into Cathay's program for a few years now, I went for their testing twice in HK and failed but I'm still very committed to getting into a cadet program.

I know it wasn't the most attractive program to many but I was ready to grind for those first few years and commit to living in Hong Kong. In light of recent events, I'm obviously not as keen on Cathay's program as I was.
I'm new to this forum so please don't roast me for not knowing as much as I should, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent airlines or academies that were willing to make this investment and allow you to pay off some of the fees in the first few years of employment?

I live in Australia, 24, very little savings, didn't finish my degree. Still open to trying for an army program if they'll take me.
I'd absolutely love to get into a great program but if I don't find anything like this within the next year I'll probably study nursing on student loans which will put my aviation dreams on hold at least until my 30's.

Again, please no snark or roasting. Thanks.

Frankie,

If you have failed selection twice, maybe you aren't cut out for it?

As another poster said, maybe pursue a different career.

InformationAlpha
26th May 2020, 12:31
Frankie,

I think this post is rather unwarranted. I've been a spectator in these forums for many years but I felt compelled to advise the OP not to listen to naysayers - if you want to become a pilot, go and become a pilot, dont let anyone on a forum tell you you arent cut out for it.

To the OP -
No one on this forum has any indication as to your aptitude or flying ability. Best bet is to get yourself into the military, if you get in as a pilot it will be a bonus. It will develop you as a person more than any other job in civvy street and it develops skills which airlines love. Look at the economy for the next decade - aviation will be decimated, get a career elsewhere (for now) - not because you dont have what it takes, as others have said, but because the industry is in cyclical decline. Use the time to develop yourself as a person and your skills. Dont let anyone tell you you cant do it.

All the best

Climb150
26th May 2020, 14:07
Ok I will try to be more constructive. What citizenship do you hold? If you are trying to get into CX cadet then you must have HK citizenship or at least as ID card cause they haven't taken foreign ab initio for some years now. You must also have at least Australian PR to be residing in Australia?

Answers these questions and we will go from there.

Mayank7
27th May 2020, 04:16
HI, unfortunately all airlines in India provides self sponsored cadet pilot program. But they do help you with bank loan. IndiGo Airline has tied up with HDFC bank so that students can get loans easily.

A320LGW
28th May 2020, 01:44
Frankie,

I would very respectfully disagree, I failed many multiples of 2 :O but managed to make it in the end and went through training from ATPL up to line training and LPC with no issues to note.

There are a wide variety of reasons as to why any candidate fails an assessment (age/maturity, knowledge of the process, preparedness, confidence on the day, interview questions etc etc). However given the current COVID climate it is perhaps best to sit tight for a while longer.

Banana Joe
28th May 2020, 23:39
Frankie,

I failed two or three assessments before getting my current and first job. One airline went bust, the other two are currently grounded making job cuts. And I am still flying and relatively busy with it.

Good riddance.

Climb150
29th May 2020, 03:27
I failed two or three assessments before getting my current and first job. One airline went bust, the other two are currently grounded making job cuts. And I am still flying and relatively busy with it.

Good riddance.

The OP is talking about failing selection to get on an airline sponsored fATPL, not going for job interviews.

Banana Joe
29th May 2020, 10:01
It's the same point. Failing some interviews, especially filled with stupid HR tests and crap like that, is not a valid index. I know so called "experts" will disagree, but I stand by my opinion.

Brian Pern
29th May 2020, 10:48
I'm with Banana Joe on this one, while Psychometric tests/Group Exercises/ PC quiz's etc does have a part to play in any selection process, it cannot replace good old gut feeling.
I remember several years ago I was discussing this with a very experienced Aussie Skipper, we were conducting a LPC for him, he had been turned down by one of Britain's Favourite Holiday Airlines, he had been told he failed the Group Exercise, to which he then told the HR person, that despite being a current TRE and having over 15,000 hours flying experience obviously does not count for anything. Shortly afterwards he got a very nice BBJ2 job and as far as I know is still very happy there.
So no I would not worry too much about failing the Cathay entrance exam. If anything I would try to figure out where you went wrong and work on passing the HR game next time. Good Luck

Climb150
29th May 2020, 12:39
The OP failed the same assessment twice. He knew exactly what was going to happen the second time and still bombed.

I posted before about his citizenship and possible options he may have. He has not responded on this forum or by PM so that's a red flag too.

FrankieP21
7th Jun 2020, 19:41
The OP failed the same assessment twice. He knew exactly what was going to happen the second time and still bombed.

I posted before about his citizenship and possible options he may have. He has not responded on this forum or by PM so that's a red flag too.

Hey, sorry I've had a lot on my plate for the past couple weeks. Please don't red flag me haha.

I appreciate everyone's comments, the encouragement as well as the honesty. I thought this forum was usually a lot more negative.

I'm an Australian citizen but my mother is from HK and worked for Cathay in cabin crew for many years.
I do have a Permanent HKID but as I said before I'm less interested in Cathay now that **** seems to be hitting the fan for HK.

I have an Irish grandparent so I could try to apply in Ireland and maybe look into Aer Lingus' Program, their website still states that their Ab Initio program is fully funded by the airline.

As for your other comment about failing selection, I appreciate your honesty but I'm with the other guys on this one. I'm not over-confident but I can honestly say I failed the initial tests because they came at a VERY inconvenient time, (parent was sick, I was still at Uni).
They only notified me that I failed, they didn't give me any 'marks' or specific info beyond that. But with that said, I really believe I did well on my 1st attempt with the knowledge test and screwed up on psychometrics/aptitude, but on my 2nd attempt I was a little rusty on my knowledge but had practiced the Cut-E aptitude test and feel I aced it that time.

So I think it's fair to say that I definitely could've advanced that stage on a 3rd attempt. As for group tests, I've never had a problem in that department, I get along and work well with all my coworkers, I've thrived in group projects. As for the personality test, I've had plenty of older airline pilots tell me I have the right character for the job.
With all this in mind as well as the fact that I'm self aware enough and realistic about pursuing this career, don't you think it's worth a shot if I really wanted it? I used to be really unconfident about it all but I have grown since then.

Also, failing 2 times is nothing. I met plenty of other applicants who had friends who made it into the program after 4 or 5 attempts, and they're now employed as 2nd officers. I know doctors who failed their Med-entry exams 4-5 times before passing and are now very competent doctors.
I'll respect any company that believes in learning from failures. I think they're also aware that most applicants are in their early-mid 20's and are still learning and maturing. They usually make us wait 12 months before trying again, so a candidate on their 4th attempt has probably changed a lot since their 2nd attempt.

I want this job. I don't care if it's rough for a few years, I just spent two years barely scraping by in community care, wiping arses and getting yelled at by grumpy old men. Even if my chances are slim I just want to be able to look back and know that I explored all my options and gave it a solid try.