PDA

View Full Version : Using Bose A20 GA-plug on XLR equipped aircraft

APU_inop
27th Apr 2020, 11:00
I have a pair of Bose A20s with GA-plugs that haven't been used for quite some time.
The operator I work for now has only XLR plugs in the aircraft (Boeing) instead of GA-plugs as in the 737. Do you have any experience using the converters and can advice whether they're worth getting?

Denti
27th Apr 2020, 12:28
I used converters in both direction, both worked fine and without a hitch, no problem with the aircraft or the headset. However, functions like power from the aircraft are not supported in that case.

gegemi
27th Apr 2020, 13:03
If it can help, I had no problem going from a GA style plug 737 to XLR A320. It's better not to cheap out on the adaptor as you will be using it a lot.

APU_inop
27th Apr 2020, 15:55
I see some adaptors on amazon varying in price, are they any good?

ASRAAMTOO
27th Apr 2020, 16:26
Our company forbids the connection of GA type headsets to an XLR aircraft connection using an adapter. The reason given is that the XLR socket supplies a higher voltage than GA equipped ANR headsets are designed to accept and that there is a risk of fire/overheat and preumably damage to the headset.

It is possible that some of the more expensive converters are clever enough to sort out this problem but since many are not and safety if the main concern they just banned it.

dirk85
27th Apr 2020, 18:36
Bose is selling the whole cable/remote assembly in either configuration. Not cheap though.

tttoon
28th Apr 2020, 08:09
Adapters to use GA headsets on XLR airplanes are not allowed in our company as well, since bad adapters seem to have been the cause of expensive REU failures on some of our 737s. Even if the XLR bit from Bose (new cable and mike) is expensive, I'd go for that and avoid the hassle of battery power.

Denti
28th Apr 2020, 08:47
XLR doesn't have to provide power, that is just an option. Better check with your technical pilot what is installed in your planes. Would be bad to spend 200 on the wrong cable.

Flying Wild
28th Apr 2020, 14:52
2-pin to XLR-5 adaptors are permitted at my airline, but with caveats. Pin 5 in the adaptor must not be connected (this is the power pin) as voltage spikes have fried several radio components. Secondary to this, the 2-pin plugs must be connected before the XLR-5 adaptor is plugged into the aircraft to also minimise the potential for voltage spikes.