PDA

View Full Version : Nav database expiration

20W
21st Apr 2020, 16:42
When do FMC nav databases expire (time Z) and where is the reference?

I feel like it’s 09Z and I’m sure I’ve seen a reference (Jepp pubs, maybe??), but can’t find it now to save my life.

Thanks!

Check Airman
22nd Apr 2020, 05:02
I can't find the information on the nav database, but what you said sounds correct. That said, I found this:

Charts do not always include an effective date, but they will always have an issue date. Again, charts that do not have an effective date are considered effective (usable) upon receipt. Charts that include an effective date should only be used on or after that date, and if you really want to be exact:

FAA and Canada—Aeronautical information in the U.S., U.S. territories and Canada is generally effective on the designated effective date at 09:01 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The effective time applies to airspace, airways and flight procedures. It allows for implementation between 01:00 and 06:00 local standard time. Local authorities may change the date or time of implementation due to local operational considerations. Check NOTAMs and contact local ATC for information.

International—ICAO guidance specifies that aeronautical information should be effective on the designated effective date at 00:00 UTC. However, national and local authorities often change the effective time to allow for implementation during the local night or at other times due to local operational considerations. When an effective time other than 00:00 UTC is used, ICAO requires that it be published in the official Aeronautical Information Publication (AIP) of the country. Check NOTAMs and contact local ATC for information.

http://ww1.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/notices-alerts/revision_date_vs_effective_date.pdf

Capn Bloggs
22nd Apr 2020, 09:20
Ours expire at... 0000UTC. There's no reference, it just does. If a DB runs to the 23rd, then why wouldn't it expire at 2359 on the 23rd? Try swapping to the new DB at 2358. The FMS will growl at you.

Our local (country AIP) procedure is to use the new DB from 1600UTC the day before, so for flights between 1600UTC and 0000UTC, you have to manually choose the new DB and you will then get an FMS warning about using the wrong DB. 1600UTC is in the middle of the night, as alluded-to in the last para of Check Airman's quote.

FLX/MCT
22nd Apr 2020, 15:46
ICAO standard is 0000 UTC with some local exceptions e.g. USA 0901 UTC.
Our company procedure is to depart with the current FMS database and switch the cycle of our charting application at the appropriate time which is then considered as master for the remainder of the flight.

Australia (Y)
the day before AIRAC date at 1600 UTC

Canada (C)
0901 UTC

China (Z) (without VH and VM)

Japan (RJ)
the day before AIRAC date at 1500 UTC

Korea, Republic of (RK)

New Zealand (NZ)
the day before AIRAC date at 1200‡ UTC

Pacific AIP (without Cook Islands (NC), Samoa (NS),
the day before AIRAC date at 1200 UTC

Tonga (NF), Niue (NI), Fiji Islands (NF))
Samoa (NS)
the day before AIRAC date at 1100 UTC

Tonga (NF)
the day before AIRAC date at 1100 UTC
United States (K)

0901 UTC
(incl. Alaska (PA), American Samoa (NS), Guam (PG),
Hawaii (PH), Palau Island (PT), Puerto Rico (TJ),
Virgin Islands (TI))

20W
22nd Apr 2020, 17:05
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

That's great, FLX, where did you find that? I still can't find anything in my company's manuals - certain I have in the past - and this plus cabin fever is making me a little kooky!

SR-22
22nd Apr 2020, 23:33
Cycle 2005 will become active tonight at 0000z 23rd Apríl, then every 28 days a new one, so every 4th Thursday. So the next one cycle 2006 will become active at 0000z 21st of May

john_tullamarine
23rd Apr 2020, 05:33
May vary according to the State involved Australia, for instance, makes its AIRAC changes effective at 0-dark-30 which makes a lot of sense (1600Z on the previous day)

FLX/MCT
23rd Apr 2020, 08:16

That's great, FLX, where did you find that? I still can't find anything in my company's manuals - certain I have in the past - and this plus cabin fever is making me a little kooky!
20W, information is contained in our OM-C produced by Lido. Guess they reproduce the information from the relevant state AIPs.

sonicbum
23rd Apr 2020, 09:18

If you are using LIDO you will find it in :
- 1.General Part -> Introduction -> LIDO Route Manual Revision -> Exceptions to AIRAC Effective Date and Time.

20W
23rd Apr 2020, 12:40
Thanks again, guys... we do have it published in our company manuals - knew I'd seen it somewhere! - as one of my colleagues just pointed out to me. Fortunately before I'd pulled all my hair out.

Much appreciated!