PDA

View Full Version : LGW STAR's

Viscount Sussex
13th Aug 2002, 16:06
When on a Willow 3 C "250kts descend FL130 to be level by GWD" or on a Timba "descend FL 150 to be level by Bexil", is followed by (on the Willow) "proceed direct to MAY", do you (ATC) expect us to still be below FL 130 abeam GWD?:confused:

roger
13th Aug 2002, 16:21
This has been discussed many times and I would say the usual outcome is....
on issuing a new instruction the previous restriction( level at...) has been cancelled. This would also be the case if you are cleared below the level initially given to be level at GWC.

I personally would reiterate 130 level abeam GWC or descend FL100, cross GWC FL130 or below if it was still required.
roger

NorthernSky
13th Aug 2002, 21:02
For a thousand-and-one airmanship reasons which I'm too tired to go into here, you should comply with the original instruction. (Regardless of the minutae of the regulations).

5milesbaby
14th Aug 2002, 10:56
This was banged out on here about 3 months ago, and the official line is that any alteration to route if on your own nav or told to resume own nav to another fix cancels the restriction unless its re-inforced. Being put onto a heading, or heading altered however DOES NOT cancel the restriction. I don't agree that being given a lower (when descending) or higher (climbing) altitude clearance cancels the restriction though, otherwise in a busy environment we may wait for you to be too close and levelling before clearing you lower. Doesn't help us or your pax.

On the speed front and wandering slightly, if you are speed restricted by the previous sector, maintain the speed and ignore the 250kts by GWC etc, let Willo/Timba pull you back at their descretion. Still getting too many trying to hit 250kts by the points stated in the STAR's, unknowingly then being hoovered up by the one behind.

Viscount Sussex
16th Aug 2002, 06:03
Thank you all very much for your information.
:)