PDA

View Full Version : SLMGs in the South East?

Tip tank
13th Aug 2002, 14:23
Does anybody know where I can hire a Self Launching Motor Glider at reasonable rates within a reasonable radius of London? I am manically hour building for my CPL and am able to log 30 hours in SLMGs towards it. I know there is one at Booker but it looks a tad expensive?

Many thanks for any help or advice....

Andy

Crossedcontrols
13th Aug 2002, 14:42
You could try cambridge gliding club at Gransden Lodge. 01767 677077.
I know they have a two seater Fournier. www.glide.co.uk

Or there was a share for sale of this Fournier RF3 at Little Gransden. http://www.littlegransden.flyer.co.uk/pfa/dhey.htm
It is a large group so the share price will be low, and most of the members have other aircraft so availability should be OK.

Let me know if you need contact details.

CC

Genghis the Engineer
13th Aug 2002, 15:42
I know that there are G109b aircraft at Enstone, but no more than that they are there - presumably if you phone them they'll tell you whether you can do a course on them.

G

Skylark4
13th Aug 2002, 17:40
Have you heard about the Popular Flying Association, permit aircraft, group ownership etc.. It may seem a silly question but you would be surprised at how many people who are well into hour building have never heard of the above. You could buy a single seat homebuilt for under £5,000, build your hours at £20 per hour and sell it on at no loss.
Oxford Sportflying will ,probably, rent you a Venture motorglider for about £50 per hour.
My share in a Motorglider costs me £35 per month and £18 per hour. A share, not mine, could be available. Shares in others are available.

Mike W.

Future Pundit
13th Aug 2002, 17:55
Tip tank,

I am trying to do the same - build up hours. First I need to get a rating on my JAR PPL SE(A). I rang the British Gliding Association in Leicester who gave me a list of all the clubs in the UK with motorgliders.

I was under the impression that it was TMG experience not SLMG experience that counts as part of the 30 hours. This is an issue that I can not seem to resolve.

At my gliding club we have a Motorfaulk and it costs £25 per hour to fly, hence I want to make sure it is worth it.

Tip tank
14th Aug 2002, 09:45
FP - good point - that could be a potentially huge waste of money. I will clarify with the CAA (if I can get through to them!) and let you know what I hear back.

Future Pundit
14th Aug 2002, 17:50
I have already tried talking to the CAA and have also e-mailed them. All I got was a reccommendation to read the JAR CPL General Informaion Document 24 and the Licence ratings GID. Not very helpful.

If you do find out any info, please let me know.