PDA

View Full Version : Landing a small plane at LHR/LGW

c52
6th Apr 2020, 10:23
If I had the good fortune to be a pilot with my own small plane, what obstacles would there be to flying to LHR or LGW while the runways are underused?

A380-sized landing fees? Inadequate equipment on plane?

Groundloop
6th Apr 2020, 10:36
How about recreational flying not being allowed at the moment?

FlightDetent
6th Apr 2020, 10:52
If there is a loophole and it can be done, this should be exploited with no stone left unturned. For a small craft pilot, the experience of a lifetime!

https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-03-26-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EG-AD-2.EGLL-en-GB.html#EGLL-AD-2.20
para (g) is a starting point?

Timing might me tight, but I did not research the consequence of this. https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-05-09/html/eSUP/EG-eSUP-2019-018-en-GB.html

Edgington
6th Apr 2020, 11:17
If I had the good fortune to be a pilot with my own small plane, what obstacles would there be to flying to LHR or LGW while the runways are underused?

A380-sized landing fees? Inadequate equipment on plane?

As long as you get PPR probably nothing, having said that currently there is a notam out for Heathrow saying they don't accept practice approaches. So one has been trying it..

PoppaJo
6th Apr 2020, 11:28
People are doing it here at Sydney and Melbourne in Pipers and Cessnas. Eye watering landing fees but a once in a lifetime op!

Fire and brimstone
6th Apr 2020, 11:38
How about recreational flying not being allowed at the moment?

Good point, well made.

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2020, 11:46
Whatever you do, from personal experience, to avoid giving yourself a heart attack, ask how much it would cost to land there.

Radgirl
6th Apr 2020, 12:06
If there is a loophole and it can be done, this should be exploited with no stone left unturned. For a small craft pilot, the experience of a lifetime!]

What on earth do you mean by loophole?????

People are dying because of some selfish individuals disobeying the law - the parks in London were crowded last weekend. And you are promoting finding some way to break the law or get round it and risk killing someone

Come to my hospital and I will show you the consequences

Recreational flying must stop

Less Hair
6th Apr 2020, 12:10
How about keeping current might save pilot's lifes?
Close to the place I live general aviation pilot's created a standby voluntary pilots hotline to have aircraft on call if any authority, hospital and such might need some urgent (free to them) medical flight to transport stuff back and forth. (Transporting patients is formally excluded.)

ORAC
6th Apr 2020, 12:11
List of charges.

https://www.heathrow.com/content/dam/heathrow/web/common/documents/company/doing-business-with-heathrow/flights-condition-of-use/conditions-of-use-documents/Heathrow_Conditions_of_Use_2020.pdf

At a glance it would seem to be a minimum noise charge of £2,726.70 (aircraft under 16 tons), plus £25.47 parking fees for every 15mins, or part thereof, after the first 30mins which are free. Plus VAT.

Dave Gittins
6th Apr 2020, 12:16
before recreational GA was categorised as a non-essential activity, I did ask but was politely turned away.

A few people managed low go-arounds during the ash cloud 10 years ago but circumstances were very different.

On a normal day (if you could get a slot) expect a few grand in landing and compulsory handling charges.

FlightDetent
6th Apr 2020, 12:28

People are dying because of some selfish individuals disobeying the law - the parks in London were crowded last weekend. And you are promoting finding some way to break the law or get round it and risk killing someone

Recreational flying must stop Cool down, lost in translation. Meant to say, if by coincidence there is a legal way under today's circumstances, do it. Comparing light aircraft activity to full parks shows perhaps up to 3 orders of magnitude difference, that's not a fair call.

I understand your frustration and would feel the same in your shoes, under the impression someone was trying to get around the protocols in place.

The full opposite is true for myself. Not only we are protecting the healthy, but also the sick by keeping the rise in figures on short(er) leash and thus giving the medics a chance to cope, preserving at least some health sector capacity to people with serious non-COVID conditions, possibly even more lethal. Most of the things that are still allowed in the UK are banned under State Emergency Law here back home!

Jn14:6
6th Apr 2020, 12:40
c52
What part of STAY AT HOME don't you understand?

GANNET FAN
6th Apr 2020, 12:44
Wasn't the op's question hypothetical?

Good Business Sense
6th Apr 2020, 12:44
How about keeping current might save pilot's lifes?
Close to the place I live general aviation pilot's created a standby voluntary pilots hotline to have aircraft on call if any authority, hospital and such might need some urgent (free to them) medical flight to transport stuff back and forth. (Transporting patients is formally excluded.)

Would have thought that all the AOC employed commercial aircraft sat on the ground would be desperate for this kind of work

c52
6th Apr 2020, 13:28
It was a purely hypothetical question as I am not a pilot and do not own a plane, but it might become less hypothetical if there are a few days between all restrictions being lifted and airports becoming busy again.

c52
6th Apr 2020, 13:30
I'm not a pilot, don't have a plane, don't have £2-3000 to throw at HAL (+VAT) and would not particularly enjoy the approach and departure as a passenger.

It might not be a hypothetical question if, once all restrictions are lifted, the airports remain mostly unused for a while.

Caboclo
6th Apr 2020, 13:50
My flight school required a flight into KDFW during the commercial syllabus, and that was in normal times. Atc hated us, but they were required let us in.

Jn14:6
6th Apr 2020, 14:17
Apologies if I mis-read the OP.
Must be getting to me, Week 3 out of 12 for me, and watching those idiots on TV who think sunbathing qualifies as exercise, or having a beach barbecue is social distancing...........................

The Range
6th Apr 2020, 17:31
Landed one time at Washington National Airport in a Piper Archer. Slot required because it was after the controllers strike.
No landing fee, no parking fee either. Only in America.

effortless
6th Apr 2020, 18:01
Doesn’t Gatwick still have a GA terminal? A portakabin as I remember, back in the dark ages, there were quite a few light aircraft parked at Gatwick.

Bridgestone17
6th Apr 2020, 18:13
I have been into LGW from Lasham in a Cessna 150 to take a Flight Data recorder for a Comet that was AOG. It was ages ago but great fun!

G-ARZG
6th Apr 2020, 18:42
Doesn’t Gatwick still have a GA terminal? A portakabin as I remember, back in the dark ages, there were quite a few light aircraft parked at Gatwick.

Signature Flight Support has an FBO near Queens Gate. LGW South Terminal

Del Prado
6th Apr 2020, 19:52
Good luck with that. Had a PA-28 request an ILS approach and go around one Christmas Day which didn’t go down too well with those in authority.

Dupre
6th Apr 2020, 20:10
Really interesting, looking at the numbers it's cheaper to land an A380 than a cessna? Check out the prices - the <16tonne price is more expensive than everything except to the noisiest of airliners (i checked another source and found that the most expensive Chapter 3 aircraft are real old noisy beasts).

An A380 fits into chapter 14 low - which is just £491.80. A solid £2000 cheaper than a C172... Have I missed something, or have I uncovered that A380 landing fees are the best deal in the UK?

other source for noise categories https://www.euroairport.com/de/action/media/Display?cmpref=30441&forceDownload=1&lang=de&mediaParam%5Bcmpref%5D=30441&mediaParam%5BforceDownload%5D=1&mediaParam%5Blang%5D=de

FlightDetent
6th Apr 2020, 20:28
A380, or any other airliner for that matter, is a revenue stream. Each passenger brings around 30 pounds for the airport operator. You need their wallets to feed the eco(nomio)system. Same for the ATS, that place in particular requires super-premium service which does not come cheap.

Movements of small planes block the revenue streams. The number you see is not noise levy, it's a message to keep out.

Armchairflyer
6th Apr 2020, 21:49
Unagitated and also hypothetical question: apart from a lack of virtue signalling, how would conducting a local solo(!) flight (including a solo drive to the airfield and back) be at odds with the social distancing measures aimed at reducing the spread of the corona virus?

DaveReidUK
6th Apr 2020, 23:19
Really interesting, looking at the numbers it's cheaper to land an A380 than a cessna? Check out the prices - the <16tonne price is more expensive than everything except to the noisiest of airliners (i checked another source and found that the most expensive Chapter 3 aircraft are real old noisy beasts).

An A380 fits into chapter 14 low - which is just £491.80. A solid £2000 cheaper than a C172... Have I missed something, or have I uncovered that A380 landing fees are the best deal in the UK?

I think we have established that it's cheaper to land an empty A380 than a C172. Add the charge per arriving/departing passenger for a typical A380 load and the picture is rather different.

xfsd
6th Apr 2020, 23:50
Not dissimilar to the Public Car Parking charges ....:eek:

L'aviateur
7th Apr 2020, 04:39
So what exactly is wrong with socially distancing yourself alone in your own aircraft whilst remaining at least several thousand feet from anyone else? How does this affect the COVID rate in hospitals? I get the issues with people crowding beaches, but partaking in individual pastimes well away from anyone else clearly is a very low risk activity.

TWT
7th Apr 2020, 04:49
It's relatively low risk until you prang the aircraft thereby tieing up emergency responders and medical resources unnecessarily.

HAMFAN73
7th Apr 2020, 05:36
Unagitated and also hypothetical question: apart from a lack of virtue signalling, how would conducting a local solo(!) flight (including a solo drive to the airfield and back) be at odds with the social distancing measures aimed at reducing the spread of the corona virus?

It wouldn't be. But it would be at odds with the overarching instruction to:Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

Booglebox
7th Apr 2020, 06:17
I landed at LHR in a twin Diamond a few months ago (in the middle of the night). Good fun!

ETOPS
7th Apr 2020, 07:21
I have actually flown a light aircraft into Heathrow - but a very long time ago!
In the late 1970s I needed a long cross-country flight at night as part of the UK CPL qualifications. I had the use of a Grumman AA-5 Traveler at Liverpool so hit on the mad idea of routing in and out of Heathrow. Filed a VFR flight plan and on a lovely clear night just set off. Flew at 3500' and arrived there around 22.30 without anyone in ATC querying what we were doing.
Parked on the GA apron on the southside which was near what is today the Royal suite.
Then - nothing:rolleyes:
The place was effectively closed so we had a short wander around until an ops vehicle showed up. He laughed when I asked about paying a landing fee and was there any fuel?
So we just booked out over the radio and departed to Birmingham to refuel. That bit went OK and eventually got home in the wee small hours.......
Never heard anything about it and never got a bill in the post :ok:

Meester proach
7th Apr 2020, 08:01
So what exactly is wrong with socially distancing yourself alone in your own aircraft whilst remaining at least several thousand feet from anyone else? How does this affect the COVID rate in hospitals? I get the issues with people crowding beaches, but partaking in individual pastimes well away from anyone else clearly is a very low risk activity.

Driving to the airport - risk , non essential, may need emergency services who havebetter things to do,

cross contamination at airport - hangar doors etc.

flying your light aircraft - risk , non essential / see “ driving to the airport “.

Hope your critical thinking skills are better in an aircraft

Armchairflyer
7th Apr 2020, 08:57
Point taken regarding the non-essential nature of recreational flights, but invoking scenarios of private pilots suddenly crashing their aircraft and/or their cars on the way to/from the airport seems a bit OTT. What about spring-cleaning, gardening, doing repairs in your home, which carry a considerably bigger risk of injury than flying AFAIK?

homonculus
7th Apr 2020, 09:37
The rules vary from country to country, but in the UK the Health Protection Regulations provide that 'no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse'

The reasonable excuses are clearly listed and would include going to work where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living.

So recreational flying is illegal if you leave your curtilage. Rotary pilots with a large garden are ok. Flying to work is OK. And if you have a check ride the instructor is legal but you are illegal....

Armchairflyer
7th Apr 2020, 09:59
The legal aspect is another thing (and practically, all airfields here are PPR at the moment, so you would probably not get a permission for a recreational flight anyway). I just find the divide within the community on the notion of (solo, local) flights interesting (albeit not necessarily positive): while some see it from a purely pragmatic standpoint and argue that there are few activities with a lower risk of infection and easier implementation of physical distancing, others find the very idea outrageous.

Spunky Monkey
7th Apr 2020, 12:29
I once flew a Cessna 525 CJ2 into Heathrow, about 10 years ago.
It was a transplant flight around 3am.
The airfield was closed to commercial traffic but they open up for us.
I have to admit it was awesome and probably one of the best things I did in Aviation.
Taxiing took forever but was massively efficient.
We heard some chuntering on approach from aircraft in the hold waiting for the airfield to open as we skipped in below them.
Being me by the Ambulance and Police was quite emotional.

B Fraser
7th Apr 2020, 14:17
I see the fun police are on guard. :rolleyes:

Didn't somebody once land a Chipmunk on the grass on the north side and then scarper ?

Dairyground
8th Apr 2020, 00:36
I recall reading several years ago about a group of engineering apprentices who built a small aircraft at Heathrow, and were allowed to have it flown out from a specially cut grass runway.

Ollie Onion
8th Apr 2020, 03:22
I remember years ago that LHR used to allow a touch and go for free on Christmas day if you booked on the day. I took a couple of students on a small cross country including a touch and go at LHR. It was such a great opportunity but as far as I am aware that hasn't happened for quite a while. Christmas day was the only time as well that I was given a visual approach into LHR in an A321, we were over the Thames Estuary and were cleared to join left hand down wind for 09L, was the only time in 10 years I got a visual to LHR.

Saint-Ex
8th Apr 2020, 07:07
Used to fly a variety of light aircraft into LHR for the Diners Club. Jack Brabham also used it frequently. Don`t remember the landing fee but it had to be reasonable

LowNSlow
8th Apr 2020, 07:08
B Fraser wasn't the Chippy owned by a journalist who had brassed somebody off (memory very fuzzy on this)? Said somebody sneaked into Denham where the Chippy was based, fired her up and hedge hopped over to Heathrow and landed on the grass by the fence. ATC arrived on shift to find a light aircraft parked on their airport.
Post 1148 on this link (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1282459-ask-ba-staffer-heathrow-atc-77.html)

Here'a a quote from F l y e r :)

I believe it was parked on the grass, neatly tied down. The pilot hopped the fence and got a taxi home.[/color]
This followed a party the night before and a break up with a girlfriend.
He had taken off from Denham, couldn't find the place again in the dark, flew down the A4 and landed in the very early morning.

The police had no idea until they went to interview one of the regular pilots...

Rumour has it that the met man went out to take a visual on the weather at dawn, saw the Chipmunk, and reported it to the tower.
ATC put their binoculars on it, and called the airport police to go over and check it out.
After an exhaustive search the police were unable to locate a Chipmunk and so they called the RSPCA.

This story apparently provided some humour during the court case.

Subject pilot paid a fine, and lost his licence 'until he showed a more responsible attitude' which he did. Got married bought a house, got his licence back, and got divorced.

There were many shenanigans in those days...]

pr00ne
8th Apr 2020, 08:55
Fun Police?

People are DYING and they are dying because people are flouting the stay at home and social distancing rules.

Get a grip.

Asturias56
8th Apr 2020, 09:22
OK inthe Netheralnds de Havilland Chipmunk Appreciation Society (https://www.facebook.com/groups/DHChipmunk/?tn-str=%2AF) 12 hrs (https://www.facebook.com/groups/DHChipmunk/permalink/10156704441637000/) ·

In these weirdest of times, there was an opportunity to circle the tower of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/616x960/92362258_2866806223387845_7749598444964020224_n_a8945fb86b0c 9eccd7aac43fb04af5f83ec5c4ef.jpg

ShyTorque
8th Apr 2020, 10:20
Fun Police?

People are DYING and they are dying because people are flouting the stay at home and social distancing rules.

Get a grip.

Fun police wasn't the best way to describe those jumping on the outrage wagon but it's a hypothetical question which has led to subsequent discussion. Why get even slightly bunched up about it because it makes no difference to the real world.

Ron Swanson
8th Apr 2020, 13:11

Hypothetical questions cost lives! Dont even imagine going outside!

Ron Swanson
8th Apr 2020, 13:15
I think you would need to have a twin engine to fly over London on the approach or departure.

Denti
8th Apr 2020, 17:41

Wow, the "Blockwart" mentality at its best. Sitting a mile away from any other human being in the air is pretty much the most in social distancing you could do, well, except setting sail to the middle of the atlantic that is. Much better than staying at home and beating the missus and the kids until the cops have to get the bloody carcasses outta there (yes, domestic violence is on the rise, very much so sadly enough). Of course, if it is clearly not allowed, not worth it to get a ticket over it. Over here it is still allowed, as long as you keep your distance to other human beings at all times. Which, again, is easier in the air than on the way to get another few drinks at the closest supermarket.

student88
8th Apr 2020, 21:49
I saw a Dash 8 at LHR earlier this year so I reckon it's possible.

ShyTorque
9th Apr 2020, 05:51

i take it that was a sarcastic comment.

DaveReidUK
9th Apr 2020, 06:29
I saw a Dash 8 at LHR earlier this year so I reckon it's possible.

You do realise that a DHC-8-400 is a 30-tonne, 78-seat "small plane" ?

Asturias56
9th Apr 2020, 07:23
It is these days Dave.................

B Fraser
9th Apr 2020, 07:50
Fun Police?

Get a grip.

Oh dear. Go back to the original post and read that the OP has neither a licence nor a plane so guess what, it was just an idle bit of speculation for fun. There's no need to get your panties in a bunch. Can I also suggest a squirt of WD-40 under your caps lock key as it appears to stick now and again.

The owner of the Chippie who had it parked at Heathrow was one William Hickey, a former scribe at the former newspaper, the Daily Express. It was on the north side and would have been close to the Met Office building where I spend many a happy day getting paid to plane spot while doing a bit of weather guessing.

TopBunk
9th Apr 2020, 07:54
Sitting a mile away from any other human being in the air is pretty much the most in social distancing you could do, well, except setting sail to the middle of the atlantic that is

You could also go to White Hart Lane and sit in the Spurs trophy room ;)

pax britanica
9th Apr 2020, 12:36
I dont know when light aircraft were banned from LHR, I know AVGAS became unavailable many many years ago just after the days of the lonely Kar Air DC6 which left its mournful tones in the air long after its early morning departure for Helsinki as the last 'big prop' in the LHR .

Way before that ,in my spotting days at Cains Lane, Bedfont, in the early 1960s light twins were not uncommon, several regulars and often the opportunity for something exotic, all those years ago i remember one on of our band excitingly point out an Austrian Twin Comanche which had just landed on 23R.

I n the same era , on a bank holiday weekend when little was happening and it was time to shut up shop and go home when again another spotter peering down (or rather up) finals for 28L exclaimed 'Spitfire' ! indeed there was a spit rapidly approaching with no gear down . A quick increase in volume of the Air band radio (Scanner ha ha) heard tower clear spitfire XXX to land. A slightly amused sounding response along the lines of 'touch and go ok' ? and duly cleared we saw what is, obviously to me unforgettable, a Spit, Merlin roaring hurtle low over the A30 and far too fast to land and after what was probably a couple of thousand feet down the runway pull up into a rolling climb , roll off the top and vanish into the evening sky before we had really taken it in- never see that again CV19 or not.

ShyTorque
9th Apr 2020, 12:50
Not too long ago, costs at LHR were quite reasonable. However, around the time of the 2012 Olympics, very significant extra charges were brought in, including an extra "security" charge, probably with the direct intention of reducing the number of smaller aircraft wanting to use the airport. From what I remember (my regular pax was a fairly regular user of LHR back then), the lowest cost groups were removed from the scheme of charges and the least you would be charged was for something the size of a Boeing 737, so landing there to drop off/pick up one or two people in a light aircraft or small helicopter no longer made any economic sense whatsoever.

treadigraph
9th Apr 2020, 12:52
TFC's first Mustang flew in and out of Heathrow in 1981 and was repainted in its "Moose" 357th FG scheme by BA engineers.

chevvron
9th Apr 2020, 13:41
You do realise that a DHC-8-400 is a 30-tonne, 78-seat "small plane" ?
Used to be a scheduled NLM Fokker 50 going in there and ATRs are often seen too.

DaveReidUK
9th Apr 2020, 14:51
Used to be a scheduled NLM Fokker 50 going in there and ATRs are often seen too.

Not to mention the BMA Shorts 330 on the EMA route !

roger4
9th Apr 2020, 15:03
Best/most unusual one I ever saw was the Tallmantz Aviation B-25 Mitchell camera-ship N1042B landing on 27L (or what is now 27L) on 30th April 1972.

rogerg
9th Apr 2020, 16:17
Here Is my list for LHR/LGW in the 70s Beech 18, Grumman Traveller. Cessna 172, Cessna 337, Cessna 340, Cessna 421, Piper Aztec. Keeping with the Jet jobs on Approach often meant that approach speed had to be very similar to the cruise speed!!

G-ARZG
9th Apr 2020, 17:58
I recall taking a Brasilia in BA colours LHR-Maastricht in 2000 (BASE Airlines PH-BRP)

Meikleour
9th Apr 2020, 18:11
During the early '70s I used to volunteer for the St Johns Air Ambulance Wing. This teamed light twin pilot/owners with commercial pilots to deliver live kidneys for transplant. On one occasion we were met by the police at Booker (WAP) in the middle of the night who opened up the airfield for us and parked a police car with headlights on at the end of the runway to aim at so that we could take off in the dark and position into LHR to collect two kidneys which were then flown on to AMS and Tirstrup for delivery. Another nighttime flight was again from Booker to ORY and BFS via Lee on Solent after radio failure! The airfield light beacon was used for identification.
I also during that period used to fly for an air taxi outfit based at Fairoaks and flights into and out of LHR and LGW were carried out using PA30 and PA23 aircraft. LHR used to have it's own light beacon situated near where the Hatton Cross tube station now is. I suspect these types of flight had all finished by the late '70s.

DaveReidUK
9th Apr 2020, 19:07
LHR used to have it's own light beacon situated near where the Hatton Cross tube station now is.

I remember it well, though it wasn't at Hatton Cross, but a bit to the west of where Terminal Four now is.

No prizes for working out where on the map it was:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/460x392/beacon_road_ef3099db7c9f8a1924a7911a088088b3256b091c.jpg

B Fraser
9th Apr 2020, 21:06

And I've been on an Air Alps Dornier 328 out and back from LHR, even smaller IIRC.

air pig
10th Apr 2020, 14:21
Having flown as medical crew on fixed wing air ambulances for the past ten years, never been into Heathrow on a flight, just too costly. Normally we use Biggin Farnbrough Northolt or even Luton. Our pilots will have to fly at some stage just to maintain currency on type.

Fly.Buy
11th Apr 2020, 16:30
Isn’t there a private landing strip just on the other side of the Boundary fence of Gatwick formerly owned by Mr Vallance where the Gatwick air museum is? Don’t know if it’s still operational?

DaveReidUK
11th Apr 2020, 17:05
Isn’t there a private landing strip just on the other side of the Boundary fence of Gatwick formerly owned by Mr Vallance where the Gatwick air museum is? Don’t know if it’s still operational?

I don't think it's in use any more following Peter Vallance's death in 2013.

chuboy
12th Apr 2020, 04:15
Loganair have moved their IOM route to Heathrow, on an ATR 42-500. One of the smallest types scheduled at LHR for some time I daresay.

N707ZS
12th Apr 2020, 10:05
Back in the early eighties light aircraft used to park near terminal one, can remember seeing a Pa 22 and a few Cessna from the Queens viewing gallery.

Yellow Sun
12th Apr 2020, 13:20
In the 1970s Brymon occasionally operated a DHC6 on the St Mawgan - Heathrow. We were waiting for the Herald one Sunday afternoon to take us to LHR to catch the BA shuttle to EDI for a JMC Briefing. Fortunately there weren’t many of us as the Herald was broken and the Twin Otter turned up instead. I’ve wondered since what the pilot thought about having two Nimrod pilots and a pair of navs peering over his shoulder as he performed the arrival at LHR.

YS

Hartington
13th Apr 2020, 19:25
Hunting Clan used to have a base on south side (where T4 is now?). Shell had aircraft based there I think. At least 1 HS125? I also seem to recall a Dove or Heron.

Dave Gittins
14th Apr 2020, 12:56
There was a light aircraft park on the south side of Heathrow near to where Pan-Am cargo used to live. One Eric Raffles used to commute to Manchester on a daily basis in the 1960s using Raffles Zulu Charlie a Beech D95A Travel Air. Also remember the big piston pounders, Douglas DCs and Curtiss C-46s which I could see when walking the dog along the twin rivers.

Shell had 2 125s, think they were TPC and TPD

AeroSpark
14th Apr 2020, 17:32
If you drive round the perimeter road from T4 towards Hatton Cross there is a sign for a general aviation terminal. No idea if its still in use.

Another hypothetical question. I guess a light aircraft with a serious emergency would be allowed to land at LHR? And would the pilot get charged a landing fee?

flocci_non_faccio
15th Apr 2020, 08:01
]

Recreational flying must stop

This sort of hysterical hand wringing really isn't helping anyone.

A family friend is an ITU nurse. He was telling us that their unit, with its newly requisitioned temporary third "pod" and increased capacity is currently extremely quiet and nurses/ HCAs have been stood down with overtime cancelled for the next two weeks. Against that background, I don't see any reason recreational flying (or indeed other normal activities) shouldn't be allowed to resume.

chevvron
15th Apr 2020, 09:12
In the 1970s Brymon occasionally operated a DHC6 on the St Mawgan - Heathrow. We were waiting for the Herald one Sunday afternoon to take us to LHR to catch the BA shuttle to EDI for a JMC Briefing. Fortunately there weren’t many of us as the Herald was broken and the Twin Otter turned up instead. I’ve wondered since what the pilot thought about having two Nimrod pilots and a pair of navs peering over his shoulder as he performed the arrival at LHR.

YS
It was a daily schedule at least on weekdays.
I did a fam flight on the Herald on this route. The return was after dark and as we climbed out of St Mawagn, the F/O who was handling asked the captain for windscreen anti ice. Now I'd noticed that the pre- flights and pre takeoff had been done using a torch as there was no cockpit lighting, so when the captain flicked a switch and the windscreen wipers started, I wasn't entirely surprised! The captain said 'sorry, been flying Twin Otters for the last 6 weeks'.

ShyTorque
15th Apr 2020, 11:45
Another hypothetical question. I guess a light aircraft with a serious emergency would be allowed to land at LHR? And would the pilot get charged a landing fee?

I wouldn't bank on that.

fauteuil volant
17th Apr 2020, 15:04
Heathrow 5 August 1973:

N801GA Gulfstream II
G-APZU Dove
G-AXDC Aztec
G-ASRE Aztec
G-AVOI H.S.125
G-AXXB Navajo
G-ARLS Aztec
G-ASJL Bonanza
G-ATPE H.S.125
G-ATGI Dove
OO-SKF Aero Commander
F-BRUY Falcon

Heathrow 24 November 1973:

G-BBMD H.S.125
G-BBIJ Cessna 421
G-BASX Senaca
N7785 Gulfstream II
G-AXDD Navajo
G-BABW King Air

Heathrow 11 May 1974:

D-GOGO Skymaster
G-BBRL Navajo
G-AVMV H.S.125
5X-UPF Gulfstream II
G-BBGB Aztec
F-BSBU Falcon

Heathrow 15 June 1974:

HB-VDB Falcon
16+05 Hansa Jet
N22ES Jetstar
F-BTDA Jet Commander

Dem wos de days!

treadigraph
17th Apr 2020, 16:10
G-AXXB Navajo

I recall that parked in the BA maintenance area on occasion - it was eventually a Colemill Panther conversion with Q-tipped props and reregistered as N7XB - and painted red; I'm sure I saw recently that it is still about in the UK.

possel
19th Apr 2020, 17:08
I recall reading several years ago about a group of engineering apprentices who built a small aircraft at Heathrow, and were allowed to have it flown out from a specially cut grass runway.
I woud guess that was the Terrier 3 G-AVYK, which was completed by BEA apprentices in the 1970s.

I won't try to list all the 125s that used to live on the south side in the early 70s ( I think it was 8 or 10 ish), but I do know that the Beagle E.3 ("Mark Eleven") G-ASCC was there for a good while as well. And there was a Jodel (D.11?) parked near the BEA hangar fr a good while as well - I think it was French registered, but I never knew whose it was or why it was there!

DaveReidUK
19th Apr 2020, 18:48
I would guess that was the Terrier 3 G-AVYK, which was completed by BEA apprentices in the 1970s.

Not quite.

G-AVYK was registered in 1967 and, like all Beagle Terriers, was a modification of a post-war ex-military Auster.

In this case it was a 1952 AOP6 whose conversion was abandoned by Beagle and subsequently completed by BEA apprentices at LHR, making its maiden flight on New Year's Eve 1968.

NeilMaybin
2nd May 2020, 08:34
Cessna 525 CitationJet CJ1 landed on 27L five or ten minutes ago. Any ideas?

treadigraph
2nd May 2020, 08:46
It was SP-DLV.

airbourne
2nd May 2020, 10:28
Well it has been done in EWR, LGA and JFK!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgppNdSEAag&t=55s

pax britanica
2nd May 2020, 11:47
Thnaks for posting that very interesting video , JFK a ghost field -nothing moving on the ground at all amazing

suninmyeyes
8th May 2020, 09:35
I flew a Beechcraft King air into Heathrow in the early 1980's and it was not a big deal. In the 1990's a BA manager owned an ex Hamble Piper Cherokee and he arranged to fly it into LHR at about 1 am and parked it in the BA hangars where the engineers spent a couple of days preparing and respraying it and then he flew it out again also in the early hours. He had a beautiful paint scheme and it was all done very cheaply. I very much doubt it would be possible these days. Having said that a few years ago I was taxing out at Heathrow, departures were halted briefly as 4 helicopters took off simultaneously from the terminal areas. I think it was a wedding party for someone extremely wealthy. (He certainly would not have been quite so wealthy after that.)

Reference a previous post I too have flown into Dallas Fort Worth in a Cessna 172 and a Cessna Cardinal, almost 40 years ago. Everyone was up in arms because it used to be free but they had just introduced a $7.50 landing fee! On one occasion they told me to land on a taxiway so I did. It was quite exciting taxiing out behind a queue of DC10's. ATC were very good and used to say to the guy in front, "Go easy on the power 'cos yah got a li'l fella behind you. "

c52
19th May 2020, 13:10
There seems to be a mini fly-in at Gatwick today with half-a-dozen single-engined aircraft making an approach.

treadigraph
19th May 2020, 15:11
I saw a couple apparently doing an approach and go around at Gatwick earlier on.

Also a Tiger Moth at 86300'! :}

treadigraph
20th May 2020, 09:41
A Cirrus from North Weald has just flown an approach/go around at Gatwick There's certainly not much other traffic there so I imagine ATC must be pleased to see them!

chevvron
20th May 2020, 10:58
Saw (from about 4 miles east of Bagshot Mast) what might have been a Cirrus heading towards Heathrow at 9.30 am from the Farnborough direction; same one maybe did Gatwick then Farnborough?

treadigraph
20th May 2020, 11:09
There was a Chrerokee heading east around your area at that time - looks like it may have popped into Biggin. The Cirrus went back to NW.

Seloco
22nd May 2020, 10:49
So here in deepest Sunbury-on-Thames we are now not only being entertained by a rather different selection of helicopters from normal but also by an almost daily parade of low-level light singles. It was interesting to see an elderly Piper Cub a few days back, then a C150 yesterday and today an RV7 has buzzed over at 900 feet and headed up to central London. Since fellow residents are now asking me what this is all about, I'm wondering whether anyone on here can advise as to what rules (if any) have changed in the current situation to allow this? Or is it simply that with so little airline traffic at the moment ATC is grateful for anything to control, however small?!

SpringHeeledJack
22nd May 2020, 13:43
The RV7 buzzed over me earlier before heading east and then north and then west.

Fright Level
5th Jun 2020, 17:43
I'm sure in the mid 80's you could land one of the BA Flying Club's planes at LHR on Christmas Day for £50 inc handling. I never did it, so not sure if it is true. Also heard they flew their fleet of PA38s there to be painted in the BA paint shop. Again, could be fake news?

runway30
8th Jun 2020, 20:30
I did take a TB10 into LGW, off peak I think the compulsory handling fee was more than the landing fee. As a previous poster has said, I was asked to maintain cruising speed on the approach because I had a 737 behind me.
On departure I was asked to make an early left turn, AVOIDING THE TERMINAL!

Juggler25
15th Jun 2020, 16:51
I'm sure in the mid 80's you could land one of the BA Flying Club's planes at LHR on Christmas Day for £50 inc handling. I never did it, so not sure if it is true. Also heard they flew their fleet of PA38s there to be painted in the BA paint shop. Again, could be fake news?

I do believe they used to get the P38's painted there. Heard a story once of a P38 in full fresh BA livery taxing behind a BA 747. The American Airlines pilot in the queue behind found this hilarious and piped up on the radio with 'Hey Speedy bird, looks like you just gave birth!'

WHBM
16th Jun 2020, 23:34
Smallest I saw in recent times was about 2006, BMI used to use Embraer 145s on low load weekend domestics, but several times subchartered in a 30-seat Scot Airways Dornier 328 prop aircraft on the Leeds run, possibly flown by Roy Suckling himself.