PDA

View Full Version : KQ captain of evacuation flight dies of COVID-19

double_barrel
4th Apr 2020, 04:56
I have not seen this posted elsewhere, very sad.

Captain Kibati was in charge of the last flight from New York to Nairobi (https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Covid-19--KQ-pilot-Daudi-Kibati-pays-ultimate-price/1056-5513106-5y7my8z/index.html)

gtaflyer
4th Apr 2020, 06:05
Very sad indeed. But what is more alarming is the fact that all previous tests were negative and then suddenly falling ill last three days. Flying to America and Italy is a double wammy he really took great risk. RIP.

Dirigible
4th Apr 2020, 07:06
Shocking news. RIP

etudiant
4th Apr 2020, 22:26
A man who did his duty and more. RIP.
He must have felt something, as he self isolated, but the suddenness of the final onslaught of the disease is stunning. Definitely not 'just like the flu'.

Pugilistic Animus
5th Apr 2020, 03:47
He must have felt something, as he self isolated, but the suddenness of the final onslaught of the disease is stunning. Definitely not 'just like the flu'.
​​​​​This virus is not playing games, quite serious, in fact even more serious than everyone originally thought...I agree most definitely not like the flu

Herod
5th Apr 2020, 08:01
​​​​​This virus is not playing games, quite serious, in fact even more serious than everyone originally thought...I agree most definitely not like the flu

Can someone please tell that to the thousands of people in Britain who, in a couple of hours, will be flocking to the parks and other sunny places to enjoy the day. "Dangerous? nah. Doesn't affect the young; I won't catch it " etc. I've already been told to my face to "go away and die" so the young don't have to waste NHS resources on us aged people.

ZFT
5th Apr 2020, 09:14
Can someone please tell that to the thousands of people in Britain who, in a couple of hours, will be flocking to the parks and other sunny places to enjoy the day. "Dangerous? nah. Doesn't affect the young; I won't catch it " etc. I've already been told to my face to "go away and die" so the young don't have to waste NHS resources on us aged people.

I hope you told them to F.... off. No point in being pleasant to scum

Thirsty
5th Apr 2020, 10:11
One day there will be a statue of him at NBO. Noble way to go, sacrificing your life for your countrymen.

Herod
5th Apr 2020, 11:10
Noble way to go, sacrificing your life for your countrymen.

Agreed, Thirsty

Hogg
5th Apr 2020, 11:37
R I P Daudi

Mr Optimistic
5th Apr 2020, 14:45
Very sad. Inclined to say ' undeserved' but that has no meaning sadly. Heard it can manifest as ' fulminant pneumonia' in an unfortunate few.

Sailvi767
7th Apr 2020, 12:31

Flu can and does kill people exactly like this and just as quickly.

Fostex
7th Apr 2020, 13:52

That statement is incorrect.There is a misconception that COVID-19 is no different from common seasonal influenza. Both cause respiratory disease and are transmitted through contact, respiratory droplets and fomites. However they vary drastically in severity. According to the WHO data to date, 80% are asymptomatic, 15% are severe (requiring oxygen) and 5% are critical (requiring ventilation). These figures are considerably higher than what is typically observed in flu.

Similarly, the virology is different. While influenza has a shorter serial interval (the time between successive cases) and therefore spreads more easily, COVID-19 has a higher reproductive number - meaning infected individuals pass the virus onto a higher number of people.

marchino61
8th Apr 2020, 04:37
That statement is incorrect.There is a misconception that COVID-19 is no different from common seasonal influenza. Both cause respiratory disease and are transmitted through contact, respiratory droplets and fomites. However they vary drastically in severity. According to the WHO data to date, 80% are asymptomatic, 15% are severe (requiring oxygen) and 5% are critical (requiring ventilation). These figures are considerably higher than what is typically observed in flu.

Similarly, the virology is different. While influenza has a shorter serial interval (the time between successive cases) and therefore spreads more easily, COVID-19 has a higher reproductive number - meaning infected individuals pass the virus onto a higher number of people.

Might I also add that most people who die with influenza don't die of influenza. They die of opportunistic bacterial infections.

Whereas people do die of COVID-19 directly in most cases.

MJA Chaser
8th Apr 2020, 22:45
There is talk of COVID 19 having a vascular effect in the lungs the reduces gas exchange, "normal" influenze doesnt have this. So if you contract COVID 19 and have any sort of respiratory deficit then it can be very serious.

procede
9th Apr 2020, 05:37
There is talk of COVID 19 having a vascular effect in the lungs the reduces gas exchange, "normal" influenze doesnt have this. So if you contract COVID 19 and have any sort of respiratory deficit then it can be very serious.
I heard that the problem is (usually) not the virus itself , but the (over)reaction of the immune system to it.

MJA Chaser
9th Apr 2020, 07:19
I heard that the problem is (usually) not the virus itself , but the (over)reaction of the immune system to it.
Yes, I also understand that COVID 19 can create auto immune response issues in some individuals as well.

W9SQD
9th Apr 2020, 14:54
Oh good, Fox News rears its ugly head.