PDA

View Full Version : Continental Diesel Engines

nomorecatering
29th Mar 2020, 08:05
Continental certified numerous diesel engines some tome ago but there's little to be seen in the field, or even information. I found a quote on another forum

The C182 / SR 305 was popular with users in Africa and from others at Lanseria, I learned they tended to break the crankcases and to reduce this tendency, the mass of the flywheel had to be increased. (Read: More weight, further forward.) The problem is the mechanical fuel injection unit used. This gives redundancy (there are 4 pumps) but it only meters fuel once according to power lever angle, 'Diesel fuel / Jet A1' explodes in a compression ignition engine. (Petrol burns) The power pulse is violent and short-lived, this results in massive loads to the crankshaft and crankcases and the propeller + flywheel has to drive the engine for some 60 degrees of the 180 degrees between power pulses in a four-stroke, four cylinder engine. DeltaHawk avoided this problem by choosing to use a two-stroke cycle motor. (Power pulses 90 degrees apart in a four cylinder two-stroke engine.) Yes, I know; they will deliver 'next year.' https://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

If Continental were to fit an electronic fuel injection system, then they would remove most of the torsional vibration associated with power pulses as the fuel could be introduced at micro-second intervals to prolong the burn, but that would most likely require re-certification. In my opinion a 4 cylinder, four-stroke, mechanical fuel injected engine is a bad idea due to problems described above.

Does the CD-265 have electronic injection where it can shape the pressure rise in the cylinder through multiple injection pulses as most modern automotive diesels do now?

There seems to be no STC's around that are available for a C182. Soloy had one but they haven't even updated their website for 5 years.