PDA

View Full Version : The Dear Old Jet Provost

BIG MISTER
13th Aug 2002, 04:38
Hello

I was just wondering if there was anyone of this forum that either owns a JP or operates one within a group ?

I wondered how much a gallon of Jet A1 was these days andhow much the little beastie drinks per hour ?

Also - what are the DO's :D :D :D and DONTS :eek: :eek: :eek: of group ownership flying ???

Please feel free to answer here or drop me a line via ye olde mail system :D

Thanks

:cool:

BlueRobin
13th Aug 2002, 10:14
Large capital outlay typically but cheap to run in comparison with say, club PA28 hire rates. Jet fuel costs about 30-35p a litre so that's where the saving lies. These schemes are run, e.g. at North Weald and Kemble (Delta Jets).

mitten
13th Aug 2002, 16:56
Email me on

[email protected]

dope05
29th Aug 2002, 14:50
Our group has a Mk5a with tips. I tend to fly it at 240 knots, or 4 miles a min for navigation made easy. At that speed it uses about 27lbs per min or about 200 galls per hour, full power is about 56lbs per min or 420 galls per hr, all figures are at low level.

Whilst the fuel cost is not too bad especially if shared with another group member, the annual inspection can be anything from £5K to £10k, depending on what is specified to be done.
eg Ejection seat charges, parachutes, control cables etc etc.

Set of brakes about £500, and these have been known to be replaced after about 20 landings. Insurance and hangarage on top of that. Ours doesnt do many hours per year, probably less than 30, so the actual all up hourly rate is around £500 per hour.

dope o5

I have control
29th Aug 2002, 15:11
I do not claim to know anything about Jet Provosts but I did once help fuel one (a mk5) with red diesel from a farm. The owner said it didn't make much difference from Jet A "just smokes a bit more".

dope05
29th Aug 2002, 17:20
Yeah, and during the fuel shortage last year i noticied about 10 gallons missing from the port tank of our jpmk5a. Obviously went into someones diesel car !!!! :(

Aerobatic Flyer
29th Aug 2002, 17:25
I do not claim to know anything about Jet Provosts but I did once help fuel one (a mk5) with red diesel from a farm.

I'd never really thought of a Jet Provost as a farm strip aircraft, but you do have an interesting point!!;)

Dan Winterland
29th Aug 2002, 22:06
Chose the Mk5 over the Mk3. The fuel consumtion is similar, the noise level is the same but the thrust is 40% greater. The first time I flew a Mk3, the acceleration on take off was so poor I thought there was something wrong with it. The 747's APU has more thrust!