PDA

View Full Version : Imposed isolation learning

DustyFlightBag
23rd Mar 2020, 07:50
Hello all,

I fully intend on training at Global ATS when all this nonsense dies down. (I can't easily move down to Hampshire).

Could all you experts tell me;

What are the best things I can be doing to prepare myself for training? Aptitude tests? Simulators? Reading CAP 413 and 493 cover to cover? Interview techniques?

Thanks in advance.

Runway26
23rd Mar 2020, 20:34
Hello all,

I fully intend on training at Global ATS when all this nonsense dies down. (I can't easily move down to Hampshire).

Could all you experts tell me;

What are the best things I can be doing to prepare myself for training? Aptitude tests? Simulators? Reading CAP 413 and 493 cover to cover? Interview techniques?

Thanks in advance.

learn the 413 cover to cover and you’ll find your training a doddle

DustyFlightBag
24th Mar 2020, 10:09
Damn ! I thought so !!

Thanks

mike current
24th Mar 2020, 13:41
learn the 413 cover to cover and you’ll find your training a doddle

Training where exactly?....

Runway26
25th Mar 2020, 00:02
Training where exactly?....

my apologies....mixed my manuals up! I meant the 493. No wonder I found the training difficult.

Although it depends what discipline you will be training in? Area, app, a/d?

DustyFlightBag
25th Mar 2020, 07:34
Basic first obviously then a/d hopefully

Runway26
25th Mar 2020, 08:12
Basic first obviously then a/d hopefully

section 1 of the Mats part 1 is a good place to familiarise yourself with for basic course. Also have a read through the aero from control section of the RT handbook.
I wouldn’t try and learn them word for word just yet though as that’s pretty much what they teach you on the course

mike current
25th Mar 2020, 21:20

Thanks in advance.

There isn't going to be any airports or ANSPs recruiting any time soon, so I would just take it easy for the time being.

DustyFlightBag
26th Mar 2020, 07:05
True I'm sure, being locked up at home is the perfect time to prepare though right...

How much of Air Law and Met do the courses go into? PPL level or higher?

escaped.atco
26th Mar 2020, 11:41
There isn't going to be any airports or ANSPs recruiting any time soon, so I would just take it easy for the time being.

Agree with this, my unit has been running understaffed over the last year or more and we just couldn't get controllers that were both fully qualified and experienced. We have now been told that there will be no attempt to recruit further and even those of us that are currently employed may have to take a hit to pay and conditions. To be honest though in the current climate that will be the way it goes. We just need to look at what the majority of airlines have done to their crew to realise that the pain will have to be shared right through the aviation sector. No-one will be escaping the fallout! Training for an ATCO position is akin to starting flight school at the minute - not necessarily a wise career choice.

DustyFlightBag
26th Mar 2020, 13:32
I think the same is true of most jobs and careers at the moment. Certainly all my work is cancelled for the foreseeable future, but it will come back, it all will. If the UK Government's promised financial help materialises, those that were fine before should be fine after with jobs intact. We will all have to pay a ton more tax in years to come but we will be OK.

Being confined to quarters, all be it with a couple of screaming kids, is a perfect opportunity to try something new and better one's self, I'll be taking that opportunity.

I am looking for a career change after 20 years of the same thing and I recon most jobs will require similar entrance tests such as psychometric testing, interview skills etc. Anything I do now can only help. I'd really like to be an ATCO hence asking for advice on areas to brush up on. The response hasn't been awfully helpful, but that won't stop me!

I am a keen PPL pilot too, so reviewing ATC procedures, Airlaw and MET is not a bad thing to do in the absence of any specific advice.

See you in the tower !

xx

escaped.atco
27th Mar 2020, 18:42
Sorry about the response Dusty, I really admire your optimism but please take heed of those of us that are already in the industry. Timing is everything in aviation and hitting it right or wrong can make a massive difference. In my humble opinion this isn't the right time time to be coming out of college with a shiny student ADI licence and zero experience. You will find it a hard slog trying to get a unit somewhere to take you on in the current circumstances.

I don't know what your current career is but please don't give it up just yet, if it has also suffered because of this virus then perhaps consider a different career path even for a few years until it is clearer what state the aviation industry has been left in but don't waste precious cash on a licence that might ultimately gather dust for a prolonged period of time. I have been in ATC for longer than I care to remember, I've seen the financial crash, 9/11, volcanic ash - but I've never seen anything that has brought an industry to its knees within a matter of weeks and has the potential to decimate air travel for a long time to come. And yes I am aware that many other industries are also in a critical state at present. There will no doubt be a limited number of vacancies in the future but if regional airports go bust in the short term then there will be a line of experienced and valid controllers ahead of you.

I genuinely wish you well and I don't mean to come over as pessimistic but reality is staring everyone in the face, don't let your dreams overrule that.

DustyFlightBag
28th Mar 2020, 08:50
Yep, I totally agree with all you have said. My previous posts do indeed come across as blind optimism I know, I am in reality, the over cautious, sensible type!

I'm certainly not going to hand 30k over easily, more importantly that money is now assigned to paying the bills.

What we have in abundance though - is - time, to be used in the best way possible !!

Cheers