PDA

View Full Version : Encounters with combination of non-normal scenarios during LOFT

extricate
11th Mar 2020, 07:27
Hi there,

What are some of the interesting non-normal combination you encountered during your LOFT aka Line Oriented Assessment?

The one interesting I could think of is PACK L and an engine failure R. Several considerations to think about

hikoushi
11th Mar 2020, 08:08
Hi there,

What are some of the interesting non-normal combination you encountered during your LOFT aka Line Oriented Assessment?

The one interesting I could think of is PACK L and an engine failure R. Several considerations to think about

Many moons back, single-engine no flap offset LDA approach with multiple stepdown fixes (pre-CDFA days). “The engine exploded and took out part of your hydraulics” on a day where the non-ILS runways were in use.

greybeard
11th Mar 2020, 11:07
Where do these so called Simulator Instructors come from??

They need to be taken behind the boy's toilets and given a reality check.

I have 5,000 hours of that kind of work, never needed to be such an A*&^H876 to get the job done and the experience was a learning one for the candidate.

Glad to be well out of that kind of BS

Ollie Onion
11th Mar 2020, 23:04
THR LVR fault on the A320 combined with an engine shutdown on the other side. When you select Flap 1 it sets the Thrust on the good engine to IDLE, makes life interesting :-), only ever seen it as part of a training exercise to highlight the fault.

gearlever
11th Mar 2020, 23:46
Hi there,

I f you are talking about A320, eventually I can help you.
Many moons ago, so don't flame me:oh:

Let's say, you are departing with a MEL SFCC 1, or 2 inop.

Inflight, you have a blue or yellow hydraulic failure.

You do the ECAM, STATUS, Suggesting SLATS/FLAPS SLOW (!)

Starting the approach, either Slats or Flaps don't move, depending which hydraulic system and SFCC affected.

vilas
12th Mar 2020, 03:18
Slat/flap is even stuck at zero is landing distance problem. ​​Thrust lever fault is certainly is more interesting.

​​​​​

Fursty Ferret
12th Mar 2020, 09:35
An approach in alternate law (DC ESS or something vaguely similar, no Capt PFD or ND) where the instructor* threw a reactive windshear in literally as the gear went down.

I spotted the "USE MAN PITCH TRIM" simultaneously with the thrust levers hitting the TOGA detent, but it required full forward stick and several full turns of the trim wheel to fix. PM thought outside the box and retracted the gear anyway, which restored alt law.

* he blamed the pre-programmed lesson plan. It really shook me up and I still feel annoyed 8 years later that he didn't appear to have any clue of the effect it had on us.

safetypee
12th Mar 2020, 09:59
Think, ask; what is the the goal, whats the purpose of this training; education, skills practice, or ….
Is there value in using a simulator or can some other method be used.
What benefit for the 'student crew', or is this only enhancement of the instructors power to create failure.
Whats the likelihood of encountering such a failure; if remote, then a discussion of factors might be sufficient.
Better to spend time in avoiding a stall during high workload operations, or remember to calculate landing distance required in conditions worst than given.
Non-normal involves those situations which differ from expectation, not the likely outcome of improbably failures.
Focus on situations with significant opportunity for human variation, not a combination of technical malfunctions.

vilas
12th Mar 2020, 12:17
Slat system 1+2 failure is a lot of training value failure. With this Failure you get in Alt Law without protection which is different from reduced protection. You will loose on PFD S, F speeds, no speed trend arrow and display of VLS with VSW is missing. It requires good raw data flying with selected speed targets. Since trend arrow is not there loss of speed cannot be pre empted, requires frequent scan of speed. Since there is no stall protection if speed decreases towards VLS(which is not displayed) the aircraftwill not pitch down but will trim into stall. Good exercise to go back to basics.